October 8th, 2008

Michelle Obama not offended by 'that one' comment

Michelle Obama
Michelle Obama

(CNN) - The wife of Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama told CNN's Larry King Wednesday that she is not offended by a much-publicized comment made towards her husband in Tuesday night's debate.

In the presidential match-up at Belmont University in Nashville, Tennessee, Sen. John McCain criticized Obama for supporting the 2007 Bush-Cheney energy bill.

"It was an energy bill on the floor of the Senate, loaded down with goodies, billions for oil companies, and it was sponsored by Bush and Cheney. ... You know who voted for it? You might never know. That one,” he said, gesturing towards Obama. “You know who voted against it? Me."

When asked if McCain’s reference to Obama as "that one" was offensive, Michelle Obama simply said "no," adding that this issue has nothing to do with what's affecting average Americans hurting from the economic downturn.

"I think there are two conversations that have been going on throughout this whole election. There's the conversation that's been happening with the pundits ... and then there's the conversation that's been happening on the ground," she said.

She said that Americans "right now are scared" and "nervous about the economy."

"They don't care about the back and forth between the candidates ... They want real answers about how we're going to fix this economy and get the health care benefits on track so, you know, this is part of politics," she added.

Full Story

1. Simple Maths

Real issues, real solution required by who ?

Who is the genuine guy here ?

Who is an open book ?
    Whom can we trust ?

October 8, 2008 07:09 pm at 7:09 pm |
  2. Candy Wilson

I heard Sen. Obama today in a stump speech say it best: " I can take 4 weeks of john mcCain Bashing me, but this country can NOT take 4 yrs of him in office" I am Paraphasing...

October 8, 2008 07:09 pm at 7:09 pm |
  3. francine

I am quite offended by people calling Obama an elitist because he has one home. Hello key word one as opposed to over five homes. I wish Gov. Palin would stop the negative comments all they are doing is inciting the nuts of the world to get thoughts in there head and possibly putting Obama in harms way.

October 8, 2008 07:10 pm at 7:10 pm |
  4. idiots for McPalin

Rob from Franfort, IL: your point is stupid, and racist.

October 8, 2008 07:10 pm at 7:10 pm |
  5. Belinda

Isn't this the same woman who said she's finally proud of her country because Barak was getting votes? Give me a break. The Obamas have played hard ball just like the rest of them. Instead of doing it themselves they destroy their opponents with their messangers and talking points; just ask Hillary. The debate wasn't even over when the Obama campaign sent the remark to all their pundits to pounce on, including CNN.

October 8, 2008 07:10 pm at 7:10 pm |
  6. s. hanrahan

lol election, I didn't realize voters ran an election.

October 8, 2008 07:10 pm at 7:10 pm |
  7. DR in Los Angeles

Our First Lady!!!! WhoooHoooo!!

Obama in '08!

October 8, 2008 07:11 pm at 7:11 pm |
  8. Jorge -- SF_CA

Well, you're a bigger person than me, Mrs. Obama.

I was offended by the comment. I've never been a GOP fan, but this low blow, teeming with racist undertones, was uncalled for!

October 8, 2008 07:11 pm at 7:11 pm |
  9. Me

Notice how they are so graceful about rude comments from McCain, but if they had been the one to say it McCain would be whining in public statements about how mean they are.

October 8, 2008 07:11 pm at 7:11 pm |
  10. Southern IL

Well I am voting for "That One" for sure!

I didn't take that whole thing as racial though, and I guess I am just weird because when I am watching, listening and thinking about what a couple of politicians are saying, I am just not thinking about what color they are. I have been a proud supporter of Senator Obama since before his Senate campaign and really, it never really sunk in for me that he was black until this years campaign wars.... Sure wish some other folks could think like that. (I'm an old white woman)

anyway, the way I did take the comment was still disrespectful, my thought was that McCain sounded like a crabby old man scolding some teenager for bad behavior.

October 8, 2008 07:12 pm at 7:12 pm |
  11. Greg FL.

McCain was and I quote" a spoiled boy" in the military and he' still a spoiled little boy in this race. Things aren't going his way, so he has tantrums. Mrs. Obama nailed it.

October 8, 2008 07:12 pm at 7:12 pm |
  12. Republican Woman For Obama

Given a choice between "This One" = Bush/McCain and "That One" = Barack Hussein Obama/Joe Biden, I prefer That One!

That One '08!

October 8, 2008 07:12 pm at 7:12 pm |
  13. Larry

With polls showing that Barack Obama won the debate, Michelle can now say that for the SECOND time in her life she is proud of her country.

October 8, 2008 07:12 pm at 7:12 pm |
  14. Ellie, MD

(CNN) – Conservative New York Times columnist David Brooks, who has expressed doubts about Sarah Palin’s readiness to serve as vice president, said this week the Alaska governor “represents a fatal cancer to the Republican Party.”

October 8, 2008 07:12 pm at 7:12 pm |
  15. Zeke

"That one" isn't as bad a comment as saying your only proud moment for your country in your adult life is when it put a black man on the ballot.

October 8, 2008 07:12 pm at 7:12 pm |
  16. stephanie

Michelle is an example of a real and true woman. A real woman would not subject herself to childish school yard drama to make herself look good, because she knows that it will only make herself look foolish. This is something Cindy McCain should learn. That shows she hasn't grown any from the girl sleeping with someone else's husband and stealing meds from children.

October 8, 2008 07:12 pm at 7:12 pm |
  17. Robin, Orlando

This woman is a racist who always despised her country until her husband was nominated to run for president. As soon as she gets in the White House, white folks are going to feel her wrath. The oppressed will become the oppressors.

October 8, 2008 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |
  18. idiots for McPalin

LB-NJ: Mccain is responisble for the deregulation that worsened this economy along with KEATING who is in jail. rezko is not even in the same league as keating.

October 8, 2008 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |
  19. CD

Now that sounds like a great first lady talking! Not the whining of Cindy McShame.

October 8, 2008 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |
  20. McCain Supporter

I ain't got me no schoolin and I ain't votin for no elitist. Next thing y'all know he'll be wantin to make us read books 'n all.

October 8, 2008 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |
  21. Moi

How quickly people forget that she has presented the "angry at the world" attitude in the past.

October 8, 2008 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |
  22. bridgette

I think that comment needs to be apart of the past. I think he was trying to say "The One" like he used in his commercials a few weeks back and messed up. McCain is not proud of himself nor his campaign and it showed last nite.

October 8, 2008 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |
  23. dn

Did anyone notice after the debate how Cindy McCain just walked around with her hand behind her back as if to say "Don't bother me with your petty handshakes"

While Michelle Obama was out there shaking hands and talking with real people.

I thought the biggest statement made of the night was when McCain and wife LEFT the building. THEY LEFT THE BUILDING!!!

Here you have a room full of undecided voters and you leave your opponet alone with them!! McCain is that well off that he leaves the voters.

Headlines should read: AND THE WINNER IS "THAT ONE"

October 8, 2008 07:14 pm at 7:14 pm |
  24. Paying Attention

Michelle Obama is a true lady.

Mrs. McCain is out there spreading hate and lies. Palin is also spreading hate and lies. We are watching what you do...

Hate and lies will not win.

October 8, 2008 07:14 pm at 7:14 pm |
  25. lmc

Now THERE is grace under fire!! A much more grounded individual!

October 8, 2008 07:14 pm at 7:14 pm |