October 8th, 2008

Michelle Obama not offended by 'that one' comment

Michelle Obama
Michelle Obama

(CNN) - The wife of Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama told CNN's Larry King Wednesday that she is not offended by a much-publicized comment made towards her husband in Tuesday night's debate.

In the presidential match-up at Belmont University in Nashville, Tennessee, Sen. John McCain criticized Obama for supporting the 2007 Bush-Cheney energy bill.

"It was an energy bill on the floor of the Senate, loaded down with goodies, billions for oil companies, and it was sponsored by Bush and Cheney. ... You know who voted for it? You might never know. That one,” he said, gesturing towards Obama. “You know who voted against it? Me."

When asked if McCain’s reference to Obama as "that one" was offensive, Michelle Obama simply said "no," adding that this issue has nothing to do with what's affecting average Americans hurting from the economic downturn.

"I think there are two conversations that have been going on throughout this whole election. There's the conversation that's been happening with the pundits ... and then there's the conversation that's been happening on the ground," she said.

She said that Americans "right now are scared" and "nervous about the economy."

"They don't care about the back and forth between the candidates ... They want real answers about how we're going to fix this economy and get the health care benefits on track so, you know, this is part of politics," she added.

Full Story

1. THE TRUTH ALWAYS OFFENDS AND HURTS LIBERALS

YIKES!!!! THEY LET THE ANGRY MEAN SPIRITED ONE OUT AGAIN....GET THE CAGE!! SHE'LL SAY SOMETHING STUPID AGAIN LIKE "FOR THE FIRST TIME IN MY ADULT LIFETIME I'M PROUD OF MY COUNTRY" ALL THE WHILE LIVING HIGH ON THE HOG IN THIS GREAT US of A!!!

October 8, 2008 07:43 pm at 7:43 pm |
  2. Rob

I was more offended that McBush purposely avoided shakeing Hands with Obama after the debate. Offended but not surprised. It is clear that McBush is an Elitist who feels above Obama. A throw back to McBush's days as a member of the Racist, anti semite group, 'Council for World Freedom'?

October 8, 2008 07:44 pm at 7:44 pm |
  3. Filipina

Michele you will be A Great First Lady. The country needs you down to earth person!

Obama/Biden

October 8, 2008 07:45 pm at 7:45 pm |
  4. bill

Am not crazy people,but I just went into the future like Nov5th,in this is going to make alot of Obama supporters depress[Mccain51%,Obama47%] Mccain wound up winning 312 electoral votes.,it appears the American people just couldnot trust a blackman to run this country.

October 8, 2008 07:45 pm at 7:45 pm |
  5. sp

NO BAMA, will be voted here, crooked! fannie mae, freddie mac, Illinois, Ayers, illegal campaign funding, Barney Frank, not proud of their country, does not like the flag, does not like the national anthem & does not like to salute, CNN'S Headline news guest claiming a drunk for Acorn coming out of the bar asking who she was voting for, vote Obama but were not suppose to be saying that! WAY TO MUCH OF A CONSIDENCE for me to vote his way.

October 8, 2008 07:45 pm at 7:45 pm |
  6. morefromLA

She is very gracious and will make an excellent First Lady. I'll be offended. I found McCain offensive my friends.

October 8, 2008 07:46 pm at 7:46 pm |
  7. Oumar

the world is watching, god bless the world long life cnn, short life france24, ABAS FRANCE24,

omar bah U.K

October 8, 2008 07:46 pm at 7:46 pm |
  8. Independent, white woman

I cannot have any respect for a man who speaks that way of his colleague and a U S senator. That is the problem with Washington, they have no respect for each other and in turn no respect for us, the american people. Politicians like mCcain should not be allowed to run for president. Palin is another low life and should not be on a ticket either.

October 8, 2008 07:46 pm at 7:46 pm |
  9. joan

You know, Mccain is a very despicable coward. He makes his women(Sarah and Cindy) do the dirty roles for him and he himself plays a maverick. How low he is!!

October 8, 2008 07:46 pm at 7:46 pm |
  10. JohnWinNC

It is good to be able to comapre the future potential first Ladies! One one hand we have Cindy McCain falling in lockstep with Palin with angry, negative, deceptive personal attacks, aimed at emotionally manipulating voters in a despatate attempt to rescue a failing campaign. On the other hand, we find Michelle Obama joining her husband in an intelligent, dignified discussion of the issues that concern people the most, changing the direction of the nation, overcoming the divisive politics of the past and working together as the "United" States to solve the problems that challenge hard-working Americans. Is anyone undecided on which of these women we would want to represent us in the White House? Obama!

October 8, 2008 07:46 pm at 7:46 pm |
  11. Rich from Philly

Contrast Michelle Obama's measured sensible answer to the vitriol spilled by Cindy McCain today. Points to who has character and who is a caricature. Cindy obviously ticked off that her elevation to first lady (sic) may not happen after all. This after she spent all her money on John's campaign, clothes to wear and botox.

The McCain's just don't get it. Every time they go negative they lose more and more votes. People are worried about the economy and real problems, and not the BS, racism and hate spewing from the McCain campaign. And, Little Johnnie is too whipped to do anything to muzzle the hit squad of Sarah and Cindy.

October 8, 2008 07:46 pm at 7:46 pm |
  12. FemaleAgainstPalin

Michelle is a wonderful woman and will make a great First Lady!

I am still offended by "that one." Senator Obama is an EQUAL! He should be respected! The Rethugs would have had a field day if he had called McLiar or Secessionist Palin "that one."

I'm voting for THAT ONE!

October 8, 2008 07:47 pm at 7:47 pm |
  13. Chester

John McCain reveals himself more and more each day. His constant references to his days as a POW are ridiculus. POWs are not heroes by the fact they were captured but by the way they responded after being captured. McCain wilted under pressure and violated the "Code of Conduct" we all swore to uphold. Now he uses that as some illusonary justification of his leadership. He was at best a desk jockey after his POW days and not good enough to become an Admiral. before POW he was a so so pilot who during training could not figure out to escape from his plane after it crashed. I am sorry John you just do not have what it takes to be President of anything, lest of all the United States.

October 8, 2008 07:47 pm at 7:47 pm |
  14. Lesley

Ken in NC – right on!

October 8, 2008 07:47 pm at 7:47 pm |
  15. Teresa, Georgia

Michelle...continue to take the high road. We have major problems in our country and the "that one" comment is too trivial dwell on.

Obama / Biden 11/4/08

October 8, 2008 07:47 pm at 7:47 pm |
  16. K.S. in Ohio

Has everybody already forgotten Michelle Obama's little speech about "This is the first time in her life that she is proud to be an American"? It sure seems to be the case to me. And that is okay with all of you people? I sure haven't forgotten it and I cannot stand her because of that. Had she not been in this country, she would probably never have been able to go to college and become a lawyer, and probably neither had her husband. They both should kiss the ground they walk on instead of talking bad about this country where at least they had the opportunity to become what they are. Nor should he forget that if it hadn't been for his "white grandmother", he would also not be who, what, and where he is today. And you people idolize them? For the life of me I cannot understand that. That is what's wrong with America! People forget all to soon or make to many excuses. I, for one, do not want someone like that in the White House. I do not trust Obama, nor do I trust McCain and so I am between a rock and a hard place, and it will be very difficult for me to vote for either of them. Sure, they both give a good speech, but as all politicians, talk is easy and cheap and I can only hope that their ACTIONS speak louder!
    God help us all – we are going down the drain in a hurry.
    Another Democrat from Ohio

October 8, 2008 07:47 pm at 7:47 pm |
  17. nick

I love michelle!

October 8, 2008 07:47 pm at 7:47 pm |
  18. jen1041

I'm so proud that America is going to elect Barack and Joe. Michelle is fabulous!

October 8, 2008 07:48 pm at 7:48 pm |
  19. Tom

Let's also note that the public's reaction to negative mudlsinging is also negative. We do not want to hear name-calling from our presidential candidates. If McCain really wants to make up some lost ground in his bid for the presidency, stop attacking Obama and start getting specific about what you are going to do if elected. You have said almost nothing that makes any sense, McCain. You seem to expect everyone to vote for you just because you say you "know how to fix it." When I take a broken car to my mechainc, I want more than "I know how to fix your car." I want "Here's what's wrong, here's what we need to do, and this is what it will cost you." It may be painful, but I want honesty. John, I have not heard this from you yet. Obama leads because he gives me specifics.

October 8, 2008 07:48 pm at 7:48 pm |
  20. Joe Dallas/Fort Worth

I really like her attitude towards this whole thing. On the other hand, I think Cindy McCain needs to leave politics to her husband.

October 8, 2008 07:48 pm at 7:48 pm |
  21. Crystal - Mississippi

As a 24 year African-American woman I find her pose as very insightful. I am proud that she could show she doesn't have to get upset or even dehumanizing to get her point across. I pray for the sake of family that they keep their head up high and not let it sway their vision in life.

October 8, 2008 07:49 pm at 7:49 pm |
  22. Janine

Good for you Michelle. We have bigger problems like the economy. Some states are starting to lose the money for unemployment compensation because of the rising unemployment. And the owner of the company I work for said I need to lay off 19 people by the end of the week. And we can't afford company paid health insurance for the remaining employees. They have until the end of the month. I've decided to take a pay cut but I know I can't save everyone.

October 8, 2008 07:49 pm at 7:49 pm |
  23. Zagazaw

Ok, all you McCain suporters who are calling Obama an Elitists because he own a nice house, I have a reason to believe you are hateful hypocrites.

You Criticize a man for having one nice house, Yet support one who own nine house and 13 exotic cars, Please explain that to me.
    Not only that, Obama house can fit inside of McCain house anytime. Please tell me why you don't feel Obama should have a nice house, or have high self-esteem? And you guys wonder why it only leave me to think one thing about your motive.

October 8, 2008 07:49 pm at 7:49 pm |
  24. republicans hate america

Thats because she is ten times the person the mcCain family can ever hope to dream of being.

October 8, 2008 07:49 pm at 7:49 pm |
  25. IC2Trees

Michelle Obama is going to make a great first lady!

October 8, 2008 07:49 pm at 7:49 pm |