October 8th, 2008

New McCain ad calls Obama 'not presidential'

A McCain ad calls Obama 'not presidential.
A McCain ad calls Obama 'not presidential.

(CNN) – John McCain launched a new television ad Wednesday morning that calls Barack Obama flat-out 'not presidential,' hours after the two men squared off in a presidential debate that notably lacked few pointed jabs from either candidate.

The 30-second spot also continues the McCain campaigns newest line of attack against the Democratic presidential candidate, asking "Who is Barack Obama?"

Watch: New Mccain aide calls Obama unpresidential

“The National Journal says he’s the Senate’s most liberal," the ad's narrator says. "How extreme. But when pressed, how does he defend himself?"

Fact check: Is Obama the most liberal senator?

"They’re not telling the truth," Obama is shown saying in a television interview. "I hate to say that people are lying, but here’s a situation where folks are lying."

"Mr. Obama, we all know the truth…Not presidential," the ad's narrator responds.

The campaign says the ad will air nationally, though the extent of the buy remains unclear.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
  1. Bigbubba

Not Presidential????? This from a guy who points at his Opponent and says "That one". He may as well have been saying "The black guy" Take another look at the video. All McCain needs is a white sheet and he is ready to meet his constituents.

October 8, 2008 10:49 am at 10:49 am |
  2. Luther, PA

Sen. Obama sure appeared to me to be more Presidential last night. I thiink his answers had more substance with more appeal than Sen. McCain's. My impression was that McCain's answers were less than vague, such as him saying "We'll fix it." I believe we are looking for more specific steps that are involved with the "fix." I don't know if that was a result of Obama's detailed answers as compared with McCain's bland answers though. I do know to me Obama looked to be the President that I invision when think of who I'd want to be in the office.

October 8, 2008 10:49 am at 10:49 am |
  3. Morgan

Obama sure looked more Presidential last night than McCain. Not bad for being "that one."

October 8, 2008 10:49 am at 10:49 am |
  4. dobie520

It is funny that McCain presses on character and being a maverick.

If this is his character, he can keep it. I do not want a leader who when the pressure gets tough turns into a little baby. I have seen kids in school act more mature than this campaign.

As far as being a maverick. This tatic is straight out of the Karl Rove manuel of running an election. He should know, they did it to him. He is not a maverick. It is same game different name. His running mate is not different. Though times call for bush league tatics.

You two have pushed an independent voter to the blue side. No doubt.

October 8, 2008 10:49 am at 10:49 am |
  5. Interesting

McCain...Obama looked 10 times more Presidential than you did last night. Have you seen the CNN Debate Polls? He walked circles around you and this was supposed to be your forum – a town hall.

You have the nerve to still continue with the negative ads. This election is over. You lost!

October 8, 2008 10:49 am at 10:49 am |
  6. Graycrab

I Obama is not presidential I will take not presidential over a grumpy OLD man!

October 8, 2008 10:49 am at 10:49 am |