October 9th, 2008

New polls show Obama in control

ALT TEXT

New polls show Obama with leads nationally and in several key battleground states. (AP Photo)

(CNN) - Barack Obama continues to hold significant leads over John McCain, a fresh round of state and national polls out Thursday suggest, in what is unwelcome news for the Republican presidential nominee as Election Day inches closer and closer.

The Illinois senator now holds a 6 point lead over McCain nationwide, a new CNN poll of polls consisting of five recently released surveys show, while 8 percent remain undecided.

A string of new state polls also show Obama holding significant leads in several key battleground states, including Minnesota, New Hampshire, Ohio, West Virginia, and Wisconsin. McCain is holding onto leads in Montana and Missouri.

In Minnesota, CNN's latest poll of polls shows Obama up 11 points, 52-41 percent, while he holds a 9 point lead in CNN's latest New Hampshire poll of polls, 51-42 percent. Obama is also holding onto a 4 point lead in Ohio, 50-46 percent in CNN's latest poll of polls there.

In West Virginia, Obama holds an 8 point lead in a new American Research Group poll, though CNN's Sept. 21-23 poll of West Virginia showed McCain leading there by 4 points. In Wisconsin, a new Research 2000 poll shows Obama with a 10 point lead, 51-41 percent. CNN's Wisconsin poll earlier this month showed Obama with a 5 point lead.

In Missouri, a new CNN poll of polls shows McCain hanging onto a 1 point lead, while the Arizona senator has a 5 point lead in Montana according to a new American Research Group poll.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
  1. Derek in Monroe, LA

Shake it like a dog!!!!! LOL. This will be so funny come Nov. 5th. I am so ready for this to be over. I have seen enough of this circus from the McCain/Palin that I am sick to my stomach.

October 9, 2008 06:09 pm at 6:09 pm |
  2. Russ

Obama '08!!!!!!!!

October 9, 2008 06:09 pm at 6:09 pm |
  3. George

McCain is why you should have not chosen Palin! Please stop with the stunts!

October 9, 2008 06:10 pm at 6:10 pm |
  4. joyce

amen to that, make sure that you are TRULY registered before november 4 so you don't get turned away on election day.

the repubs are already making a case about this. let's not make this even close. we need a landslide to make sure it's a win that cannot be stolen.

October 9, 2008 06:10 pm at 6:10 pm |
  5. Benjamin

The economy trumps over the smear because the very people that McCain is targeting to receive the sleeze are the ones who are suffering the most. In the past republicans waved the flag, shouted God bless America and anything less was anti- American. Not with-standing the sutle references to being anti- anything but white. Yes this worked for Nixon, Reagan and the Bushes. Foreclosures, jobs outsourced overseas, high gas prices, high unemployment and the recent Wall street bailout are factors that most people understand. I don't think they can really imagine MCain and Palin changing anything.
    **************OBAMA by a landslide on Nov. 8,********************

October 9, 2008 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |
  6. Joe-From NY...once Republican, VOTING DEMOCRAT

N.S OF Huntsville: I BELIEVE CNN finanlly put the story on air around 5pm eastern time. The voter fraud is a crime and I believe its a serious issue, THEY NEED TO PUT REPUBLICANS IN JAIL, INCLUDING MCCAIN...tHEY WANT TO STEAL THE ELECTION AGAIN...

HOW CAN THIS TYPE OF STUFF HAPPEN IN AMERICA?> I THOUGHT THIS WAS DEMOCRACY? WHY DO THEY ALWAYS WANT TO STEAL ELECTION? WHY DONT ANYONE FIGHT FOR THIS....?

October 9, 2008 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |
  7. Hannah Stevens

Let's just hope that McCain doesn't have any more surprises. Did you all hear what he said yesterday, talking to the crowd saying "my fellow prisoners". He's not a well man.

October 9, 2008 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |
  8. obama all the way

Lets go everyone!!!!!!

We need to stick together, be positive and hopeful!!

We can do it.

Good will prevail over evil, smart will prevail over stupid, positive will prevail over negativity and right will prevail over wrong.

Time to stop paying attention to the smear and fear and tune it to uniting around the next President of the United States of America...

Mr. Barack Obama!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

October 9, 2008 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |
  9. Joey

You can stick a fork in McCain. He is done and I mean well done.

October 9, 2008 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |
  10. Guppy

3 more weeks until we elect Barack Obama for president. Let's pray this country lasts until then.

October 9, 2008 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |
  11. N. Ramos - Plano Texas

Thank you Lord!!! I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel. Let me tell you, I am tired of living in fear. I want to be optimistic about the future and Obama gives me that feeling. My husband and I are in fear of losing our jobs, unable to retire when the time comes, getting sick and the medical bills wiping us out; unable to afford college for our two teen boys. Don't take me wrong, I have worked all my life and don't expect the government to solve all my problems, but at least even out the playing field for working stiffs like us. I feel that for the last eight years we have been running like heck just to stay in place to no avail.

I WANT MY COUNTRY and MY GOVERNMENT BACK!!! God bless Barack Obama and may the Lord grant him the wisdom and the strength to guide the country back into the right path as everyone knows he has a lot of work ahead of him after the Bush Administration.

October 9, 2008 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |
  12. Photon Torpedo Dallas, TX

Montana will also move into "That One's" column...come on Montana! If you are crazy enough for the Unibomber then you are crazy enough to elect Senator Obama!

That One/Biden 08'

October 9, 2008 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |
  13. Cathy Brandes

I am worried about the voter registration rolls. This election is too important to have issues which caused problems in the last two elections. There is already concern about sufficient ballots, poll workers as some states are expecting record turn out.
    As N.S. of Huntsville states, voters should check to make sure you are registered before getting to the polls. I would think a simple phone call to the city in which you live would suffice.

October 9, 2008 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  14. Bryce K. Dixon

The DNC needs to send lawyers to into those states to protect voters, really fast or it might be 2000 all over again. DNC NEEDS TO MAKE A BIG DEAL ABOUT OVERT ATTEMPT TO STEAL THE ELECTION BY MCCAIN AND IS CRONIES!!!!!

OBAMA/BIDEN 08

October 9, 2008 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  15. Ed Word

This is great news.

But we mustn't rest just yet. There is still work to be done.

The celebrating can begin on the evening of Nov. 4th.

October 9, 2008 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  16. Jim

Keep the momentum baby! Whoo hoo!!! The longer people hear McCain grumble about everything, the more votes he's losing. He's not the leader we need. Barack Obama is the leader we DESERVE. Vote Obama for a brave, new America.

October 9, 2008 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  17. lina

PRESIDENT OBAMA!!!!!!!!
    OBAMA/BIDEN '08

October 9, 2008 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  18. Paul

Ballin'.

October 9, 2008 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  19. Karen

I agree with the yelling person from Alabama, even if they need to work on their grammar. Voters Have Been Removed: This should be a lead story.

Karen from OH-IO

October 9, 2008 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  20. Mark

MEMORANDUM

TO: McSame campaign
    From: America

Your campaign has failed. Time to bow out gracefully. Show some respect for yourselves and for the American electorate. Time to stick a fork in the McSame campaign: YOU ARE DONE!

October 9, 2008 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  21. Veterans 4 Obama

Here are some of "my friends"

REVEREND JOHN HAGEE
    G. GORDON LIDDY
    JIM HENSLEY
    MR. URIBE
    TODD PALIN
    CHARLIE BLACK
    DAVIS MANAFORT

What a joke for the McCain campaign to talk about a non-existent relationship between Ayers and Obama!

Time to retire McShame!

October 9, 2008 06:13 pm at 6:13 pm |
  22. melza

Why change the rules when your team is loosing. KEEP the rules that already in places.

Melzar

Intellectual inanity
    Fox Noise insanity
    You’re a profanity
    Hannity

October 9, 2008 06:13 pm at 6:13 pm |
  24. Johnson in St. Louis

sorry but I can't go and celebrate anything yet, a lot can change in the next few weeks and we all know about how some people will say what they think the pollsters want to hear and do just the opposite. I wasn't around when the "Dewey defeats Truman" headline was posted but that doesn't mean in modern times it can't happen again.

October 9, 2008 06:13 pm at 6:13 pm |
  25. k

@n.s of Huntsville
    I'm in Texas i never got a reply after i mailed in my first registeration, i was not in the system after calling to verify my application...i had to register again on the 3rd...

October 9, 2008 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |