October 9th, 2008

New polls show Obama in control

ALT TEXT

New polls show Obama with leads nationally and in several key battleground states. (AP Photo)

(CNN) - Barack Obama continues to hold significant leads over John McCain, a fresh round of state and national polls out Thursday suggest, in what is unwelcome news for the Republican presidential nominee as Election Day inches closer and closer.

The Illinois senator now holds a 6 point lead over McCain nationwide, a new CNN poll of polls consisting of five recently released surveys show, while 8 percent remain undecided.

A string of new state polls also show Obama holding significant leads in several key battleground states, including Minnesota, New Hampshire, Ohio, West Virginia, and Wisconsin. McCain is holding onto leads in Montana and Missouri.

In Minnesota, CNN's latest poll of polls shows Obama up 11 points, 52-41 percent, while he holds a 9 point lead in CNN's latest New Hampshire poll of polls, 51-42 percent. Obama is also holding onto a 4 point lead in Ohio, 50-46 percent in CNN's latest poll of polls there.

In West Virginia, Obama holds an 8 point lead in a new American Research Group poll, though CNN's Sept. 21-23 poll of West Virginia showed McCain leading there by 4 points. In Wisconsin, a new Research 2000 poll shows Obama with a 10 point lead, 51-41 percent. CNN's Wisconsin poll earlier this month showed Obama with a 5 point lead.

In Missouri, a new CNN poll of polls shows McCain hanging onto a 1 point lead, while the Arizona senator has a 5 point lead in Montana according to a new American Research Group poll.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
  1. Cynthia; Bham

Thank goodness he is leading and in control. McCain/Palin have really gone too negative and are really really playing fast and loose with the truth. All American voters don't have the time to sit down and research whether what is being shown in the news soundbytes whether it is true or not. I guess you can say that McCain and Palin are desperate because they have not been saying much on the stump other than negative things.

October 9, 2008 06:57 pm at 6:57 pm |
  2. Stay The Course!

How can the American people be favoring a candidate who would apply intelligence to the Presidency?

After eight years of George Bush we are certainly comfortable with a reactionary dufus. Why change courses now?

October 9, 2008 06:58 pm at 6:58 pm |
  3. Abe

To Bob &California Voter,
    Seems like Senator McCain, you don't have anything of substance to offer. Check Senator Obama's website for his platform instead of continually spewing garbage about his lack of a plan or making unsubstantiative charge that he'll somehow turn the USA into a socialist state. What do you call Senator McCain's plan to buy up bad mortgages then if you think Senator Obama's plan to make healthcare affordable for every American is socialsim?

October 9, 2008 06:58 pm at 6:58 pm |
  4. Erik

A statesman with fresh ideas, intelligence, vision and respect for others versus a creepy little ill-tempered gnome. No brainer. Let's hope the Americans don't fall for last-minute fearmongering and slander. Can't wait for tomorrow's Alaska ethics investigation report!

October 9, 2008 06:59 pm at 6:59 pm |
  5. DMfromTX

Who said that WV is the "reddest of states"? It isn't, not by a long shot. Democratic registrants have outnumbered Republicans in that state for decades. WV voted for Bill Clinton twice. Get your facts straight, folks. Obama could carry WV and it wouldn't be a shock. Now, if he were to carry Alabama or Oklahoma, I'd call that a miracle.

October 9, 2008 06:59 pm at 6:59 pm |
  6. Cynthia - Arkansas

Obama has shown true leadership and courage in these tough times. McShame has done nothing but talk trash about Obama. What a sad little man!

People are starting to open their eyes when they see them side by side. You would have to be blind to not see who is qualified to be the President of the United States. That would be "that one", Barack Obama!

October 9, 2008 07:00 pm at 7:00 pm |
  7. Stan

The country is hurting, and McCain has a deaf ear to the burdens of average Americans who did everything right.

I want a president who not only listens to us, but knows what to do to get something done. Also more people are interested in what Barack has to say. You can't have a president that only talks to a small segment of the people.

Obama/Biden 08

October 9, 2008 07:01 pm at 7:01 pm |
  8. SoCal

It seems that McCain DID vote for the earmark to study the DNA of bears in Montana...

October 9, 2008 07:01 pm at 7:01 pm |
  9. McCain=Bush

mccain and palin are shamlessly trying to distract voters and it is bacfiring on them. They are both pathetic and ruthless, they don't even have the decency to stop their supporters from yelling "terrorist", and "kill him". That is totally sickening, I will never ever vote for a republican again, they have no morals, no self-respect, and I am truly sickened by their tactics.

October 9, 2008 07:02 pm at 7:02 pm |
  10. Lucy, ND

We stil have to get out the vote to make sure more Democrats are voting to make up for the cheating that the Republicans will do.

Obama/Biden 08

October 9, 2008 07:02 pm at 7:02 pm |
  11. Throw Dirt & Mud From Behind a Skirt - U're a Punk

October 9, 2008 07:02 pm at 7:02 pm |
  12. Throw Dirt & Mud From Behind a Skirt - U're a Punk

Well I honestly hope it translates into actual votes come Nov 4th. America had better realize that the lobbyists who will comprise McChicken's entourage do not have the interest of any American at heart. Every plan that CcCain proposes has a negative implications for the struggling Americans and will only serve to increase the burden. I just listened to McCain on Charlie Gibson and all he did was invoke the name of Former American Presidents.. If I wasn't aware of the psychological warfare he's waging on unsuspecting Americans he might have caught me offguard

October 9, 2008 07:03 pm at 7:03 pm |
  13. first time voter OBAMA/BIDEN 08!

YOU KNOW WHAT'S INTERESTING . DIDN'T MCCAIN SUSPEND HIS CAMPAIGN IN MICHIGAN? THAT'S WHAT I'VE HEARD. I LIVE IN NORTHERN MICHIGAN && I WAS IN SHOCK WHEN I GOT A LETTER IN THE MAIL TODAY FROM MCCAIN ASKING FOR DONATIONS!! TALK ABOUT A LIAR . I'M PROUDLY VOTING FOR "THAT ONE"
    MCCAIN && CARIBOU BARBIE CAN GO KICK ROCKS!!!

October 9, 2008 07:03 pm at 7:03 pm |
  14. kris

Don't rely on those polls. I do remember that Gore was ahead of Bush by 11 percent and he lost just several days later. The media has said Acorn is showing alot of fraud. It was reported in Lake County, Indiana that 5000 were fraud. And that in Indianapolis registering was up 105 percent and that was fraud reporting. In Cleveland , Ohio they reported fraud. In Neveda, I see one poll in Ohio had Obama up but then in my area the polls show that McCain is up by 6 percent. But the news just issued a report that Obama had a campaign fund dinner in Kaldi's home. Will that hurt him Polls don't rely on them, It was told to me that people are paid to say they are voting a certain way when they are. I think this election is neck and neck.

October 9, 2008 07:03 pm at 7:03 pm |
  15. Dal CA

Looks like the Negative remarks are working. JSM is doing the best job in getting negative remarks against BO

October 9, 2008 07:04 pm at 7:04 pm |
  16. CO for Obama

All the way to the WHITE HOUSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

October 9, 2008 07:04 pm at 7:04 pm |
  17. Steve in WV

If my state pushes Obama over the top, I will have never been prouder! There is hope for America.

October 9, 2008 07:04 pm at 7:04 pm |
  18. Kathy

McCain is so erratic its not even funny

October 9, 2008 07:04 pm at 7:04 pm |
  19. Lovely in VA

Ok, come on TN, WV, VA, we can do this! Let's have a BLUE Christmas this year!! We need to get on this alternative energy plan going and get the jobs back up in our areas. I travel these areas every day and I'm constantly amazed at who I thought would be a McCainiac turns out to be Obamabot! We are truly everywhere you guys! Stand up and raise a voice! And don't forget to VOTE!!

October 9, 2008 07:05 pm at 7:05 pm |
  20. Alex

I confess that the differences between these candidates is profound. And that doesn't even take into account their VP partners. We have a chance to strengthen our country and bring people together in ways that have not happened in decades. I am gratified that most Americans support Obama. Don't get me started with Palin.

October 9, 2008 07:05 pm at 7:05 pm |
  21. Melanie, San Diego, CA

I think Sean Hannity and Elizabeth are having heart attacks right now.

Elizabeth on the View is so funny. She is working overtime to sling mud on Obama, but it is NOT working. I love the fact that the audience is not really listening to her. There are a few who might applaud, but the bulk is for Obama. I love her face every time the audience sides with Sherrie, or Joy or Whoopi. It's fun to watch.

Obama/Biden

October 9, 2008 07:06 pm at 7:06 pm |
  22. Jay

Thank God these stupid race-baiting smears by the dishonorable McCain campaign are backfiring. This is exactly what the country needs. If Obama can with with a big enough majority I feel we won't have all of the pettiness that we left the last two divisive elections with. We're all witnessing a real uniter this time.

October 9, 2008 07:06 pm at 7:06 pm |
  23. Denise Bolin

Everyone check your registration. Notice how desperate the McShames are and with their hatred and willingness to win at any cost – WE NEED TO KEEP FIGHTING TO THE END. Do not let them get away with cheating the election AGAIN.

October 9, 2008 07:06 pm at 7:06 pm |
  24. Denise Bolin

The fact the FOX could show McShame winning the debate 84% to 16% should tell you ALOT. Watch out for the desperate party and CHECK YOUR VOTER REGISTRATION........................ NOW!!!!!!!!!

October 9, 2008 07:08 pm at 7:08 pm |
  25. Taa Taa

Father God, in the blessed name of Jesus, send Sarah Palin a-packing. The republicans simply prostituted her out and when there is no more use for her, she will have to simply tuck her tail and go home. But I don't think she will be welcomed as warmly as when she left. A lot of things have come out, and she has done a lot of damage to different races, religions, and backgrounds.
    God Bless you Senator Obama, and I pray that I get to call you MR. PRESIDENT.....

October 9, 2008 07:09 pm at 7:09 pm |