October 9th, 2008

New polls show Obama in control

ALT TEXT

New polls show Obama with leads nationally and in several key battleground states. (AP Photo)

(CNN) - Barack Obama continues to hold significant leads over John McCain, a fresh round of state and national polls out Thursday suggest, in what is unwelcome news for the Republican presidential nominee as Election Day inches closer and closer.

The Illinois senator now holds a 6 point lead over McCain nationwide, a new CNN poll of polls consisting of five recently released surveys show, while 8 percent remain undecided.

A string of new state polls also show Obama holding significant leads in several key battleground states, including Minnesota, New Hampshire, Ohio, West Virginia, and Wisconsin. McCain is holding onto leads in Montana and Missouri.

In Minnesota, CNN's latest poll of polls shows Obama up 11 points, 52-41 percent, while he holds a 9 point lead in CNN's latest New Hampshire poll of polls, 51-42 percent. Obama is also holding onto a 4 point lead in Ohio, 50-46 percent in CNN's latest poll of polls there.

In West Virginia, Obama holds an 8 point lead in a new American Research Group poll, though CNN's Sept. 21-23 poll of West Virginia showed McCain leading there by 4 points. In Wisconsin, a new Research 2000 poll shows Obama with a 10 point lead, 51-41 percent. CNN's Wisconsin poll earlier this month showed Obama with a 5 point lead.

In Missouri, a new CNN poll of polls shows McCain hanging onto a 1 point lead, while the Arizona senator has a 5 point lead in Montana according to a new American Research Group poll.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
  1. sabuc

nah nah nah hey hey hey GOODBYE McCain!!

CNN also is reporting that Obama has a lead in Virginia - the once reliably red state!!

October 9, 2008 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  2. Mark, B'ham., Al.

Obama/Biden when I look into your eyes I see European Socialism/Wefare State and the downfall of America and her Constitution. With the #1 and #3 most Liberal Democrats in the Executive Branch and the Liberal democrtic party leadership, if they can really be called that, in the Legislature and the Liberal Justices making laws our Founding Fathers Dream of a Nation will disappear Forever! No longer will individuals be responsible for their actions and themselves, the State will take care of you from cradle to grave whether you work hard or do not work at all.

October 9, 2008 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  3. jake, San Francisco, CA

What amazes me is not that Obama's leading in these polls but rather the fact that there's still people willing to vote for John McCain and especially Barbie Moose!

America, we made a mistake and elected Bush twice! Do you really think anyone is going to take us serious if we don't elect Obama and Biden? Think about this...

October 9, 2008 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  4. THAT ONE!!!!

Obama will WIN!!

McCain is just a lousy person. Can only attack on his Speeches and ads but not to Obamas face?? Because he knows its not TRUE!!

Just like most people cannot look you in lthe eye and lie.. HE CANT!!

October 9, 2008 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  5. Mikki, Washington, DC

Wow!! West Virginia!! I hope that the same people who are being polled will show up on election day and vote for Obama/Biden!! I can't wait until November 5th. Once and for all, we will know whether people can be judged by the content of their character rather than their racial heritage. For those of you who don't believe that the importance of race should not be discussed or acknowledged, get real!

October 9, 2008 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  6. Reality Check Richmond Virginia

don't they mean Virginia and not west Virginia?

October 9, 2008 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  7. Memphis, Tennessee

Say it a'int so, Joe! Sarah better get that approval rating back up to 85% in Alaska because it looks like she'll need her job back come November 4. Unless, of course, John McCain can pull of the biggest, best razzle dazzle moves in presidental election history. Maybe he can tell the American people that his wife has enough money to bail the entire US government out.

October 9, 2008 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  8. Vic

Early voting is the way to go.

Registered Republican voted Obama/Biden 08

October 9, 2008 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  9. Sherry

Now let's put this in perspective here lol..............Imagine McCain and Palin sitting down and talking with heads of other countries lol.............claiming to be 'mavericks' lol.........McCain says.........'this is the way we do things, my friends' lol..........My Nanuck of the North and I just sit down and tell ya'll like it is..........you listen to us or we will get bad and start badmouthing ya'll over here lol...........we know what we're talkin' about because Nanuck here was in the PTA and is a soccer mom...........I was in the war, my friend lol...........I hung out at the bars alot when I should have been studying but I made it, my friends lol.............Now if ya'll are lucky enough lol I'll invite ya'll over to one of my seven homes someday............only if you agree with everything I'm tellin' ya now dammit lol............andd Nanuck here will be servin' up her 'maverick style' coffee and a long line of bullsh...t lol...........Now as I sit here typing this............I realize that is exactly what their campaign has been like...........on the other hand, Obama and Biden have stuck to the issues at hand.........like gentleman......Michelle Obama has been nothing but a true lady........a lady...........So, along with so many Americans...........I understand why McCain is going down the tubes.........I can see him buying votes though..........I wouldn't put it past him.........he's that desperate.........My thoughts............prayers..........and full support goes out to Senator Barack Obama and Senator Joe Biden..........and their families..........Sherry, from Missouri

October 9, 2008 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  10. Peter from OH

The McCain campaign will now walk the last remaining strategy: Leave the land to the winner, but destroy it and burn the houses as much as possible:
    OK, could SOMEBODY out there please START TALKING about the fact that the McCain / Palin language has become unbearable in recent days, with BS like “do we really know who Barack Obama is?”, “..but what does he REALLY stand for?”, “..what do we really know about Obama”, “he’s too risky” bla bla bla rarara. This is the SAME vague firestarter type language the NSDAP party used in Germany to fire up the Germans against the Jews in the early years. READ THE HISTORY BOOKS, FOR HEAVENS SAKE!!!
    Already, the Republican campaign events have become a foundation of hate and racism, as a recent NYT editorial describes it in a frightening way, like the fact that, at a rally in Florida, "a man yelled “kill him!” (Obama) during a Palin speech, and others shouted epithets at an African-American member of a TV crew".
    I also suspect the McCain campaign deliberately put out Palin as their future scapegoat to do the bulk of the dirty work, so that, when this is ever discussed openly in public, or even worse, something unspeakable happen to Obama, they can hide behind the “well she is inexperienced and didn’t know better, and we don’t have anything to do with this”-curtain.
    Are we going insane? This is the first time I am truly frightened about what is going on in the GOP, and some of their followers. They become radical haters.
    I am unwilling to believe the majority of the Republican party is backing up these recent events; they just don’t dare to interfere with McCains campaign so they shut up. But the danger here is that in the meantime, the McCain campaign steers an audience that might produce some individuals with uncontrollable hate and anger, and which eventually become walking time bombs and try to do things I don’t want to even mention.
    Does McCain really want to go there? Well I guess he already did....

October 9, 2008 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  11. republicans hate america

McCain will win with fraud because their is no other way.

October 9, 2008 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  12. RL

"That One" is on the way to the white house...GO Obama!

October 9, 2008 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  13. Anita from Arizona

Does that put Obama over the 270?? Yes We Can!!!

October 9, 2008 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  14. george

and the winner is ?....................................

Obama/Biden 2008

October 9, 2008 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  15. Justin from CT

Wow when McCain can't even win West Virginia, you know he sucks.

October 9, 2008 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  16. Iowa Obama

Thanks God- America is now seeing the light- honestly, thank God.
    OBAMA/BIDEN 08

October 9, 2008 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  17. Curtis - Marietta, GA

McCain has been asking a lot recently if we should trust Obama's judgment and the choices that he's made in the past. If he has the "judgment and candor" to be president.

I would say that these polls speak for themselves!

Obama/Biden 08

October 9, 2008 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  18. Margo - TEXAS

I love Barack Obama!!! He's such an intelligent level headed man and he's not bad to look at either.

October 9, 2008 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  19. McCain still suffers from PTSD

Watch McCain loses Arizona. The word is the Republicans are asking for new ballots to include a 'No Confidence' box in place of McCain's name. They are also looking into voting for Obama PLUS checking off the No Confidence box to send a strong message; neither Republicans or Democrats will stand by while McCain destroy our country with his racist remarks or Klan rallies.

October 9, 2008 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  20. Chris

Obama leading in West Virginia?? Maybe this guy really isn't a terrorist.

October 9, 2008 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  21. Micheal shoemac republican voting for Obama in miami florida

Thats right

No matter what the McCain camp tries to throw at the Obama/Biden ticket........It wont work

McCain is a mess..... how do you cheat on your sick wife with cindy... and leave her and marrie cindy

Oboma/Biden

October 9, 2008 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  22. Keith

People are tired of the republican non-sense.I guess people would prefer "that one"!!!LOL

October 9, 2008 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  23. Lisa in Maryland

West Virginia, mountain mama, take me home, where I belong.
    Go, boys, Go
    That One and Say it IS so Joe all the way!!!!!

October 9, 2008 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  24. Sue M

I am a Democrat and I am voting for Obama, I am a white woman of 61 years.........I have watched Obama and last night Michelle on Larry King Live......do you know how wonderful it was to hear her talk, with intelligence, grace, kindness just like listening to Obama give a speech. So different from listening to McCain and his wife and Palin. They should take some lessons from the Obama's.......I to listen to McCain, but he is so negative and so is Palin, they only have hate, racistism, anger and the same old.... same old ....same old .....speeches.....Now his wife has cold chills running down her spine.......she needs to look at how her own husband voted on moneys for Iraq before she spews out crap like that.........

October 9, 2008 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  25. Ex-mod-GOP for Obama

Great news, but let's not get cocky. We all need to make sure we get out and vote on Nov. 4. Time to take back our country.

October 9, 2008 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |