October 9th, 2008

New polls show Obama in control

ALT TEXT

New polls show Obama with leads nationally and in several key battleground states. (AP Photo)

(CNN) - Barack Obama continues to hold significant leads over John McCain, a fresh round of state and national polls out Thursday suggest, in what is unwelcome news for the Republican presidential nominee as Election Day inches closer and closer.

The Illinois senator now holds a 6 point lead over McCain nationwide, a new CNN poll of polls consisting of five recently released surveys show, while 8 percent remain undecided.

A string of new state polls also show Obama holding significant leads in several key battleground states, including Minnesota, New Hampshire, Ohio, West Virginia, and Wisconsin. McCain is holding onto leads in Montana and Missouri.

In Minnesota, CNN's latest poll of polls shows Obama up 11 points, 52-41 percent, while he holds a 9 point lead in CNN's latest New Hampshire poll of polls, 51-42 percent. Obama is also holding onto a 4 point lead in Ohio, 50-46 percent in CNN's latest poll of polls there.

In West Virginia, Obama holds an 8 point lead in a new American Research Group poll, though CNN's Sept. 21-23 poll of West Virginia showed McCain leading there by 4 points. In Wisconsin, a new Research 2000 poll shows Obama with a 10 point lead, 51-41 percent. CNN's Wisconsin poll earlier this month showed Obama with a 5 point lead.

In Missouri, a new CNN poll of polls shows McCain hanging onto a 1 point lead, while the Arizona senator has a 5 point lead in Montana according to a new American Research Group poll.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
  1. Johnny

Landslide!!!

October 9, 2008 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  2. Rhonda

Just goes to show that majority of Americans are wise and intelligent people...there's only a small handfull of IDIOTS left asking "who is the real Barack Obama"?!!!!

October 9, 2008 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  3. Nan

Don't get lulled into a false sense of security..REMEMBER TO VOTE

October 9, 2008 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  4. Tom, KS

I prey we can stay on this path. Obama is truly the right candidate to lead during these troubling times. Hopefully McShame's attempt to distract us with empty accusations will not work. Everyone needs to do what they can to convince their unsure neighbors that Obama is our best hope for a better tomorrow.

October 9, 2008 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  5. Texas Straight Talker

Stay on the High Road Obama/Biden! All the way to the White House! YES WE CAN!!!!!

October 9, 2008 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  6. Praetorian

If the polls say so it must be so.
    But none of the hundreds of people I deal with everyday believes that.

October 9, 2008 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  7. Independent & Pragmatic

Throughout the race, the polls have seemed to waiver back and forth, often influenced by recent events.

But because of the desperate world wide reaction to the financial crisis, and the perception in the US that the Republicans are largely to blame, I'm not sure McCain can recover.

October 9, 2008 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  8. FAYE, NV

Obama/Biden knows that we want change and a need for fresh ideas and not angry people putting down those who stands for a better America.

That One, and His One
    Obama/Biden

October 9, 2008 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  9. Ohio for OB &JB

GO "THAT ONE" . I am from Ohio and I love it. It is time to get this country back to the beautiful and stable country it once was. I am proud to say that I take vacation days off from my job to help Obama in Ohio. I am very lucky to have a great job and make good money but when I look at all the people suffering around me it makes me sad. I want to see "THAT INTELLIGENT, COOL, CALM AND COLLECTIVE" ONE in office. Not Moose Lady or Mr Hair Transplant.

GO OBAMA

October 9, 2008 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  10. Republican for Obama

WHY IS THE FACT THAT SARAH PALIN IS THE FIRST EVER CANDIDATE RUNNING FOR PRESIDENT OR VICE PRESIDENT, WHILE AT THE SAME TIME BEING INVESTIGATED BY THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT, NOT MORE OF A NEWS STORY??? I NEED SOME HELP WITH THIS ONE???

October 9, 2008 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  11. Anonymous

YAY

October 9, 2008 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  12. Tom

Obama`s lead will widen even more by next week.

OBAMA FOR PRESIDENT:)

October 9, 2008 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  13. Catherine

Obama Champaign: Don't be counting your chickens before they hatch. There will be a boatload of people that have been singing Obama's praises in public but once they are in the "privacy" of that voting booth on November 4th...that vote could turn on a dime....for many reasons and many motivations. It's interesting what people do...when no one is watching!

October 9, 2008 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  14. Bob in Ohio

Wow! If OBAMA is truly up in West Virginia, this race is over. West Virginia is made up of a lot of Democrats who are very concerned about race. If he has convinced enough of them to to overlook the color of his skin and vote for him for their economic interests than that is a testament to the man he is and the campaign he has run. He truly does have the power to bring people together. I have a feeling I am going to be very proud of my country in 26 days.

October 9, 2008 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  15. McHate, McLies, McCain

while John McCain is running the Bush 2000 campaign, the DOW just dropped under 9000...that is your 401k your collage funds, your retirement...John McCain wants to talk about Ayers and other nonsense? well America has something we want to tell McCain, i hope he listens to what Americans have to say November 4th...No way No how No McCain...what else are you willing to loose under McCain?

October 9, 2008 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  16. johnd

I was a republican, but the fiscal irresponsibility of Mr. Bush and the rest of the party made me leave. John McCain then comes in with a proposed $600 Billion tax break that he will pay for by eliminating $18 Billion in pork. The only republicans left that I know are either very religious and vote only on abortion, or they are also fiscal conservatives who haven't had time to really investigate what republicans have done to this county. I show those people my graphs and McCain's plan, and most of them are in shock. They either won't vote or will vote Obama. Fiscal conservatives had a home under Bush1 (after he raised taxes), but those days are long gone. I basically don't have a political party representing me anymore. There are 47 Blue Dog Democrats who care about the budget, but that is it. $400 billion we'll pay on interest for the debt this year. So, if you are only voting based on abortion, please ask your representative to ensure a good future for those kids. It seems silly to condemn them to second world status just because our politicians either can't lead or are so uninformed that they ignore our childrens' future.

October 9, 2008 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  17. republicans hate america

Unamerican Liberal - Please check your history Bush had a commanding lead of 8 points on Gore 52-44 on Oct. 9 2000 Gallup Poll with Nader having 4 points and Buchanan 1. The only reason that was the case were these 3rd party candidates that allowed Bush to steal the election. You are a dumb redneck that knows nothing about American history. Please go back into the woods with your sister.

October 9, 2008 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  18. Jackson

It just keeps getting worse by the day for Jon "Sweet Sugar" Mackiane. Quit now and save the GOP from the humiliation you and Sara Pilon are inflicting on yourselves. You are distroying what little "W" left of the GOP.

October 9, 2008 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  19. Serious Voter

I don't care about Ayers, Wright, Flager, or anybody else. I do, however, care about my pension, my mortgage, gas prices, food prices, and my job. It's clear who the choice is in this election is, and it's that one who is talking about the economy and giving a clear plan on what he will do about it. I know it's probably going to get more rough before it turns around, but at least Obama is dealing with it and not inciting riots.

October 9, 2008 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  20. TM in Chicago

Outstanding Obama/Biden. Stick to the business at hand and "Make it Do What it Do!

GObama/Biden 08

October 9, 2008 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  21. Irene

Senator Obama REALLY IS the candidate in control!

He is cool, calm and collected in stressful situations that require the "right decision". (qualities NECESSARY in these troubled times.........qualities NECESSARY in our next President)

OBAMA / BIDEN 08

October 9, 2008 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  22. The guy that is smarter than you

This is fantastic. The country is waking up!!!

October 9, 2008 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  23. Cathy Kennedy

I am getting sick and tired of the Mccain campaign showing such hatred and attacking Sen. Barack Obama on every issue imaginable. It's time we focus on the real issues this country is facing. Enough is enough. Let's quit these negative attacks. The economy is at it's worst, young people are fighting a sensless war and we need to remember what got us here in the first place. The republican campaign thinks Americans registered illegally because the Democrats have higher numbers. Not! There's enough of us out here who care enough and want to change this country. We worked endlessly to register Democrats!

October 9, 2008 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  24. Olivia

Can't believe the people haven't seen through this one as yet.
    This is the guy that knows it all, sees it all, tried it all,said it all...........
    and the first to do it all.

McCain/Palin