October 9th, 2008

New RNC ad mentions William Ayers

The RNC will begin airing a new ad Friday that mentions William Ayers.
The RNC will begin airing a new ad Friday that mentions William Ayers.

(CNN) – Republican efforts to link Sen. Barack Obama to William Ayers, a member of a 1970’s anti-war terrorist group, will increase Friday when a new ad from the Republican National Committee hits the airwaves.

Related: Ayers, Obama crossed paths on boards, records show

“Chicago Way,” attempts to cast Obama as a stereotypical “shady” Chicago politician. Shot in black-and-white, the ad asserts “Obama’s first campaign was launched at a gathering at Mr. Ayers's home.”

The ad also mentions convicted Chicago businessman Tony Rezko, a onetime prominent supporter of Obama’s, and William Daley, a national co-chair of Obama's presidential campaign who is also the brother of Chicago Mayor Richard M. Daley and the son of legendary Chicago political boss Richard J. Daley.

Related: Daley slams new McCain ad

“There’s more you need to know,” an announcer says as the ad ends.

The ad comes as the McCain campaign continues to carry out a more aggressive strategy of raising questions about Obama’s judgment and personal associations in the last month of the general election campaign. Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin recently said that Obama sees America as “so imperfect that he's palling around with terrorists who would target their own country,” in an apparent reference to Ayers.

Related: Get the facts about Palin's charge

The Obama campaign has hit back hard accusing the McCain of trying to distract voters’ attention away from the many challenges the country is facing.

The RNC says "Chicago Way" will air in major media markets in Indiana and Wisconsin.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Political ads • RNC • William Ayers
  1. Michael McManus

Up until the last three days or so I was on the fence and consider myself to be a John McCain fan. He has sold his soul and his character is completely shot. He is getting worse everyday and the ridiculous attacks on Obama have caused me to puke. I will not vote vote for him and will ask everyone I know – why they would. He's a BS – bully. Address the issues, answer the questions or just fold it up. Not even a pretty girl from Alaska helps – that's a stunt as well.

What McJoke!!!!!!!!!!

We need a real leader!

October 9, 2008 09:19 pm at 9:19 pm |
  2. Ron

In 2000 McCain, while talking about Bush and Rove, said:
    "Sooner or later people are going to figure out that if all you run is negative attack ads you don't have much of a vision for the future, or you're not ready to articulate it."
    He spoke his future…google the quote yourself

October 9, 2008 09:20 pm at 9:20 pm |
  3. cece

Palin claims to be this christion woman, well God is love and not hate why did she allow such hatred to be yelled out at her rally. She should have immediately made a statement rejecting any type of hate. Shes fake

October 9, 2008 09:20 pm at 9:20 pm |
  4. McCains-a-loosa

Well, no ideas or solutions from McCain/Palin...just inciting riots and violence. I thought that if one did that, one would be searched out by the Secret Service and jailed, but I guess not McCain/Palin.

Those republicans are going to be awfully dissappointed!!

October 9, 2008 09:20 pm at 9:20 pm |
  5. Obama for President

"Old" (like McCain) tactics that won't work (like McCain) this time around.

October 9, 2008 09:20 pm at 9:20 pm |
  6. Xavier

Its not going to work McCain! Come November I am voting to send your racist heart down the sewer where it belongs. While your at it, take that idiot Palin down with you.

October 9, 2008 09:20 pm at 9:20 pm |
  7. Laurajane in CA

This is the same crap they tried in 2000 and in 2004...
    same old, same old.......
    Don't fall for it this time !!!

VOTE for HOPE!!

October 9, 2008 09:20 pm at 9:20 pm |
  8. BKB

I am an Obama supporter. I hope McCain keeps going because all of the Bush supporters I know are livid about the economy and dont care about Ayers. I thought for sure these folks would jump on this trash like they did Wilie Horton and the swiftboaters but I was wrong. They want to know why he voted for he bailout. They are feeling raped by this administration. THey are critising his nasally voice and oveuse of "my friends". As depressed as I am about my own investments I warms my heart that for the first time in my 46 years I am on the same page as my republican family. They won't vote Obama but they won't turn out for MccAin either. Keep going with your winning strategy and Obama will win in a landside. You don't get the pick the questions McSame. It the economy stupid!

October 9, 2008 09:21 pm at 9:21 pm |
  9. Indycats

TO Never Obama

What planet are you from??????? Didn't graduate from Columbia? Didn't graduate from Harvard? Wow, just think how many people would have to be in on the biggest conspiracy plan in the world.

Why are you afraid of an educated person leading this country?

Why are you showing your lack of understanding of the real issues?

Why have you never gotten on other sites on the Web than weird blogs? Try Wikipedia: Barack Obama for starters. Or is an encyclopedia lying too?

October 9, 2008 09:21 pm at 9:21 pm |
  10. cecil

If Sen. Obama Is "Palling" around With Terrorist, What Does That Say About The "NSA" And The "FBI"!

October 9, 2008 09:21 pm at 9:21 pm |
  11. Dr. Proctor, PHD

. . . When I was a teenager, I smoked a little pot, Ate pop rocks
    without dying like Mikey, turned my eyelids inside out, popped wheelies
    on the freeway with my motorbike, drank beer, did a little LSD(while
    listening to Seals and Crofts Hummingbird), rang doorbells and ran.
    AND THEN I GREW UP.

I am now a chief neurosurgeon at the best hospital in the country.

(I won't say which one for obvious reasons).

Democrats Rock!

October 9, 2008 09:21 pm at 9:21 pm |
  12. same old same old tactics:bush, rove,limbaugh

my friends
    this is the only think joe mccain and the republicans guided by rove adn limbaugh know to do

oh yes palin too.

the more they attack the more they appear like bush
    the more they attack the less people want to have them in our government

October 9, 2008 09:21 pm at 9:21 pm |
  13. Just Me

Obama's camp needs to respond to these false propaganda. FactCheck.org clearly stated that these allegations are false. Air a counter ad before this gets out of hand.

Obama 08

October 9, 2008 09:22 pm at 9:22 pm |
  14. susie

Something is fishy here. Our economy sucks, yet, Obama says the majority of his money is coming from everyday people. People are whinning but can still send Obama money? Someone is not telling the truth.

October 9, 2008 09:22 pm at 9:22 pm |
  15. Teresa, Georgia

Tired of the smears, the fear tactics and the nasty campaign...which gave me much motivation to go out and vote today.

Obama/Biden....all the way!!!

October 9, 2008 09:22 pm at 9:22 pm |
  16. Gezellig

McCain, every time you ask "Who is Barack Obama?", all I can think of is "The next President of the United States."

October 9, 2008 09:23 pm at 9:23 pm |
  17. Steve - southern Illinois

It would be nice if CNN would report on Sarah Palin's connection to the radical Alaska Independence Party.

October 9, 2008 09:23 pm at 9:23 pm |
  18. Ryan

You Obama supporters are ridiculous. It doesn't matter what the RNC has to say because you left wing nuts aren't going to listen to anything.

Your Democratic lead Congress has done nothing to fix the economy, nothing to end the war, nothing to help you. And you sit here bashing McCain.

McCain is not Bush. And Obama is not Clinton.

October 9, 2008 09:23 pm at 9:23 pm |
  19. Ken in Pisgah Forest

Okay, John, so Obama is not perfect, but we heard you lived with Communists for 5 years.

My advice is go positive or lose. No one believes your inuendo or considers it important anyway.

October 9, 2008 09:23 pm at 9:23 pm |
  20. Ons

If Sarah Pelins, husband Todd belonged to the radical group that advocated for Alaska recession from the United States as late as 2002. Don’t they really get a shamed to be talking a bout Obama’s relationship with William Ayers, then Obama was 8 years old what connection was there? And then William Ayers is reformed professor now
    Todd Pelin was member Alaska independent party as late as 2002 that’s scarier than the rubbish they are trying to smear Obama with because that lady will be a heart beat away from being a president. And the Husband was registered member of AIP- radical group that was pushing for Alaska recession from the United States.
    Can Sarah Pelin answer something.

October 9, 2008 09:23 pm at 9:23 pm |
  21. Poetic Justice

Desperate people do desperate things and McCain is desperate!

October 9, 2008 09:24 pm at 9:24 pm |
  22. Jordan in NC

I cannot wait to vote on election day! Every time that Mccain/Palin release a new ad, they drive more and more people away from their campaign. The republican ways of the past do not work with the people of today. People are smarter now and read into things instead of believing everything that the GOP says on a bogus ad. It has been their strategy for years and years. Make up so many lies about the other party with hopes that enough americans will not read into them and believe enough of them to vote for us. Instead of spending millions of your dollars you received trying to belittle the better candidate, why not tell us what you want to do with the economy, the country, and the world. We have heard plenty about how little you think of "that one" but nothing about what you and "short bus rider" Palin, but what about what really matters in this country. Education standards being raised, money pumped into technology that the rest of the world has had for years, Economy being lifted instead of weighed down. If you vote for McCain/Palin this election, you will be hating yourself in about 6 months when you realize how terrible your decision was. Instead of basing your decision on race, or gender, base it on the principles and policies that really will help this country become what they have claimed to be for its entire existence: "The Greatest Country in the World.

OBAMA/BIDEN for change, for hope, and for future.

October 9, 2008 09:24 pm at 9:24 pm |
  23. Marcia Boyd

I am sick of hearing about Lew Ayres, Rev Wright,(Im surprised they didnt bring up Lewis Farrakhan) Im sick of people trying to make Obama look bad Why dont they stick to the issues and stay on them and never got off of them

October 9, 2008 09:24 pm at 9:24 pm |
  24. Janice

They smile in your face, all the time they wanna take your place, The backstabbers. This is getting worse than ugly, but as they say alls fair in love and politics. Or is it? Who will pay? As always the taxpayer.

October 9, 2008 09:25 pm at 9:25 pm |
  25. Nate Myers

I've stuck to the center in this political campaign for a long time, but these low, muckraking tactics are starting to build up for me. I'm not sure I can handle much more of this before I make a solid choice to vote for Obama/Biden.

Obama/Biden have had their own issues with politics of integrity, but their muckraking slams have been a gust of wind in the hurricane of McCain's politics. He's not the same man I respected in 2000.

October 9, 2008 09:25 pm at 9:25 pm |