October 9th, 2008

Obama purchasing 30 minutes of network airtime

The Obama campaign has previously run a two-minute commercial; today it announced has purchased 30-minute blocks of time on the broadcast networks.

(CNN) – Barack Obama is buying 30 minutes of airtime on the major television networks just days before the presidential election, the Obama campaign confirms.

Sources with the Obama campaign say half hour blocks have been purchased on Wednesday, October 29 on CBS and NBC.  The campaign is also in negotiations with Fox, though that day will conflict with the World Series if there is a game 6.

The buy was first reported by the Hollywood reporter earlier Thursday.

Evan Tracey of Campaign Media Analysis Group, CNN's consultant on ad spending, said it was unclear how much the blocs of air would cost, but noted 30 seconds alone in primetime usually runs between $80,000 and $125,000.

"This is a big platform, this is a big megaphone, the interest level is clearly there and people will watch," Tracey said.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. D'Ann

It is so hard to believe that people can allow themselves to still like McPalin admin. right now they are acting like little kids who got their lollypops stolen. Could they be acting like children any more then they are? Grow up and take a loss like an adult. Palin all your "new" news is old news you were not even a thought when it was already brought to everyone attention. GO OBAMA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 08

October 9, 2008 07:08 pm at 7:08 pm |
  2. Yeah

I've never felt this much energy in politics. Obama is exactly the cure this country needs from the last 8 years. How can anyone not be excited?

3. cecil

bear I Hope You Gave!

Palin She's Melting, Time For Her To Head Back To Her "AIP" Pals!

They Have A Flag Burning, Coming Up Very Soon!

4. HouseDiva

why are these people who are Hillary supporters being so stupid?

do they have a brain to realize that Barack Obama will have a better position than VP for Hillary in his cabinet???

5. Thurman

Throughout history, when humankind would sufffer from famine,depression,opression,and world wars,destiny would always bring forth a man or woman of greatness. Barrack is that one. I can understand why Macane rants and raves when he debates Obama. Its because hes in the presence of greatness and he knows it.

6. Jon

Way to go bear. Fuel the racism and bigotry.

7. Ms Gunn

OBAMA/BIDEN 2008

8. Bravado in Boston

This is great. He needs to tell the closed-minded, fool-hearty, voters who have only three teeth and a fat butt, that

a) He is not Muslim, but respects ALL religions (since that is the reason our country was founded)

b) He is NOT elitist – having only one house, one wife, one car, unlike the three-wife totin'competitor how married-for-money (is HE the sugar daddy?)

c) He wants WHAT IS BEST for you and me.

Now, educate yourselves, get some dental implants, put down your guns, dress out your moose, carry it back to your wood-fired poo-little-shak, and PAY ATTENTION!

DEMOCRATS ARE TAKING GOVERNMENT BACK!

Good luck Obama!

9. J.D.

People, do you realize that the Dow has lost about 40% of it's value in the last year? I just checked my 401K and it's down $25,000. I came to work today and while I tolled away like a good productive American worker, I LOST $3,000. This is serious.

And I just don't think John "My wife is worth $100 million" McCain gets it. I'll vote for the guy with one house, one car and who just paid off his student loans recently. I gotta think he feels the hurt a little more like I do.

10. job

Let the Moose chips fall where they may

11. Sarah So NJ

The six states seem to be in violation of federal law in two ways.

Some are removing voters from the rolls within 90 days of a federal election, which is not allowed except when voters die, notify the authorities that they have moved out of state, or have been declared unfit to vote.

12. Gary

Good strategy hopefully all of the non beleivers will see Obama right canidate for this awful mess we are all in after they watch this. I'm sure it will be all positive unlike his opponet. Mcain and Palin are so disgusting I hope people wake up!!

Obama2008

13. virginia

Oh great what we need is another hollywood junkie with his own tv station and now another 30 minutes, next I know there will be nothing else on tv. Maybe Opra or Joy will get him his own tv show, if so I'll have to throw out the tv.

14. Chris, IL

My gut said that this is too much. But I felt the same way about accepting the nomination and it was really well-done. He won't hog the stage.

October 9, 2008 07:10 pm at 7:10 pm |
  15. Liz

Nancy, you typify the Obama supporter; one who listens to a bunch of empty words. Everyone goes ga ga over Obamer, whether he's in a debate, or at a campaign event, yet all he does is speak in vicious circles, never saying anything of substance. I finally realized that he's figured he can speak a bunch of fancy sounding words, act as if he knows what he's talking about, and fool people like you. I never fully realized how many ignorant Americans there were until Barry hit the scene.

October 9, 2008 07:10 pm at 7:10 pm |
  16. OBAMA, the Leader, the HOPE, the Change

Taking America for the American People.

Just sent $200.00 to the OBAMA campaign.

OBAMA/BIDEN 2008 – 2016

October 9, 2008 07:10 pm at 7:10 pm |
  17. E.R. Lopez, South Texas

Can we say "Checkmate"? Oh yeah–that's one step ahead of everybody–that's why he's our man!!

October 9, 2008 07:10 pm at 7:10 pm |