October 10th, 2008

Biden to Palin: Don't lecture me on patriotism

Sen. Biden told Palin not to lecture him Thursday night.
Sen. Biden told Palin not to lecture him Thursday night.

JEFFERSON CITY, Missouri (CNN) – Joe Biden Thursday night told Sarah Palin not to lecture him on patriotism, after weeks of attacks mocking him for his statement the wealthy should be patriotic and pay higher taxes because not enough has been asked of them.

"Sarah Palin had great fun saying Joe Biden thinks paying taxes is patriotic. Well, let me tell you what Joe Biden thinks," the Delaware senator said at an outdoor rally. "Joe Biden thinks that anybody who takes millions of dollars offshore to avoid paying their fair share is unpatriotic."

The Obama-Biden campaign has accused John McCain of saying publicly he would close offshore banking loopholes, but saying otherwise in private.

"That is not patriotic and it will stop, it will stop in an Obama-Biden administration! Enough! I've had it up to here! Don't lecture me on patriotism," shouted Biden, getting drowned out by the applause of his supporters. "I'm dead tired of being taken advantage of. I'm getting tired of it."

Biden also said he's had enough of the McCain camp's personal attacks on Obama, slamming the Arizona senator for violating the "ethics" of the old neighborhood for not having the courage to go after Obama's character in their debates the way he has in speeches and in television ads.

"In my neighborhood you want to say something about me, look me in the eye and tell me," said Biden. "Say it to me straight up. Say it to me head on. That's the code, that's the ethics! Say it to me! Ladies and gentlemen, I'm tired of losing, I'm tired of taking this stuff, I've had enough."

There has been a perceptible shift this week in Biden's approach to attacking the opposing ticket. Since Wednesday, he has been increasingly willing to take on Sarah Palin individually, instead of his earlier approach of lumping her in with McCain or ignoring her altogether.

Biden's comments on patriotism were the second time he returned Palin's fire Thursday. Earlier, in Liberty, Missouri, Biden attacked McCain's new mortgage plan, using Palin's quip from last week that she has been listening to Biden's speeches since the second grade, which was intended to paint him as a Washington insider.

"That's true," Biden responded. "But she was in sixth grade the last time John had a new idea."

However, in the second use of that line here in Jefferson City, Biden incorrectly said Palin had made those comments directly to him at their debate in St. Louis last Thursday, rather than at a Columbus, Ohio rally three days prior.

Filed under: Joe Biden • Sarah Palin
  1. Luisa

Yea, sure bring the muslim to govern our nation! incredible.

October 10, 2008 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  2. Thomas

Rob, you have no idea what you're talking about. In 1988, Biden used 1 quote 100 times previously in speeches and always attributed it to the Neil Kinnock. One speech at a state fair where he does not and people call him on it. Give me a break.

October 10, 2008 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  3. Q Glenn

We are enjoying watching the republiklansmen squirm. Complaining of the same tactics they used the past two elections.

October 10, 2008 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  4. Cheryl

GO! JOE! GO!
    BEAT 'EM! BARACK! BEAT 'EM!

It is a shame that you have to waste so much time defending yourself from scum, lies, phonieness, opportunists angry people!

OBAMA/BIDEN '08

October 10, 2008 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  5. Bandy

Don't compare Palin with a Pig. It's a pig's disgrace.

October 10, 2008 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  6. S.B. Stein E.B. NJ

I have to agree with Biden on this one. How can not helping out and doing what your responsibility is be patriotic? I would have to question what is more patriotic than helping out your fellow American and complying with the law. If you have a problem with the law, ask Congress to change it.

October 10, 2008 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  7. Open Your 3rd Eye

THAT JOE IS A BAD MO'FO'

-A REAL COMMON SENSE AMERICAN-

October 10, 2008 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  8. tulsa

Call her on it Joe.
    You don't have to hit low, and you are not. Just call 'em like you see 'em.
    We need some "old neighborhood" ethics.
    Good on ya.

October 10, 2008 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  9. Terry B.

Whoa, Rob. Way to really after Biden, the dreaded plagiarism attack. Palin addresses a secessionists convention in 2008 and all you got is an accusation, years old, of plagiarism. You so vicious, go boy!

October 10, 2008 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  10. AL

Isn't it patriotic to pay taxes for our national defense, to provide funds for our troops – doesn't Sarah Palin want her son to have the best equipment and protection possible while in the military! "Darn right!" About time someone called the Grand Old Party on their contortions and hypocrisy.
    Speaking of hypocrisy, McCain and Palin talk about unifying the country when they spew hatred and incite people to violence. Shame on them, and particularly shame on McCain for choosing Palin, who is a huge set back for women, and another blot on our nation. How can we hold our heads up in the global community with her semi-literate rantings and ravings?

October 10, 2008 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  11. peter, CT

Give me an intelligent, strong, prinicipled, and balanced republican candidate, an educated REAL republican, and I'll give you my vote... but McCain/Palin dont' fit the bill. And if Palin is any indication of the "new generation" of republican politicians, I forsee a long democratic rule in this country.
    The McCain's smear campaign solidifies the "angry-mob" voting block, but it turns everyone else against you. Grow up and defend your republican principles McCain, and get Palin to shut it because she apparently doesn't know what republican principles are.

October 10, 2008 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  12. Latina for Obama (nj)

Joe is mad...and I like it!!!

way to go Joe!!!!!

That one/Biden 08-12

October 10, 2008 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  13. Rodger

Relax Joe, they are in panic mode. This is not the same John McCain you served with in the Senate. He has hired the scorch the earth team that put out lies, more lies and even more lies! You will win so big, the Republican party will be out of control for 20 years.

October 10, 2008 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  14. McCain for Pres.

Joe Biden is nothing but a hypocrite. He knows Obama is not ready and just because he was picked to be VP he has changed his tune. This is the only change you get from Obama/Biden "changing their mind every time it doesn't benefit them".

October 10, 2008 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  15. fed up

Go get em JOE! You are far more patiotic than she and her HUSBAND are!
    Republicans have thrown us into a financial hell and THEY try to blame the Democrats. Well, good luck with that SPIN!

October 10, 2008 10:04 am at 10:04 am |