October 10th, 2008

Biden to Palin: Don't lecture me on patriotism

Sen. Biden told Palin not to lecture him Thursday night.
Sen. Biden told Palin not to lecture him Thursday night.

JEFFERSON CITY, Missouri (CNN) – Joe Biden Thursday night told Sarah Palin not to lecture him on patriotism, after weeks of attacks mocking him for his statement the wealthy should be patriotic and pay higher taxes because not enough has been asked of them.

"Sarah Palin had great fun saying Joe Biden thinks paying taxes is patriotic. Well, let me tell you what Joe Biden thinks," the Delaware senator said at an outdoor rally. "Joe Biden thinks that anybody who takes millions of dollars offshore to avoid paying their fair share is unpatriotic."

The Obama-Biden campaign has accused John McCain of saying publicly he would close offshore banking loopholes, but saying otherwise in private.

"That is not patriotic and it will stop, it will stop in an Obama-Biden administration! Enough! I've had it up to here! Don't lecture me on patriotism," shouted Biden, getting drowned out by the applause of his supporters. "I'm dead tired of being taken advantage of. I'm getting tired of it."

Biden also said he's had enough of the McCain camp's personal attacks on Obama, slamming the Arizona senator for violating the "ethics" of the old neighborhood for not having the courage to go after Obama's character in their debates the way he has in speeches and in television ads.

"In my neighborhood you want to say something about me, look me in the eye and tell me," said Biden. "Say it to me straight up. Say it to me head on. That's the code, that's the ethics! Say it to me! Ladies and gentlemen, I'm tired of losing, I'm tired of taking this stuff, I've had enough."

There has been a perceptible shift this week in Biden's approach to attacking the opposing ticket. Since Wednesday, he has been increasingly willing to take on Sarah Palin individually, instead of his earlier approach of lumping her in with McCain or ignoring her altogether.

Biden's comments on patriotism were the second time he returned Palin's fire Thursday. Earlier, in Liberty, Missouri, Biden attacked McCain's new mortgage plan, using Palin's quip from last week that she has been listening to Biden's speeches since the second grade, which was intended to paint him as a Washington insider.

"That's true," Biden responded. "But she was in sixth grade the last time John had a new idea."

However, in the second use of that line here in Jefferson City, Biden incorrectly said Palin had made those comments directly to him at their debate in St. Louis last Thursday, rather than at a Columbus, Ohio rally three days prior.

Filed under: Joe Biden • Sarah Palin
  1. Lorna, NY

You go Joe...

October 10, 2008 09:32 am at 9:32 am |
  2. wb

Go Joe! Sarah Palin is not even in your league.

October 10, 2008 09:32 am at 9:32 am |
  3. Barbara - 65 yr old white female in NC

Some of my republican friends have turned their backs on the dirty tactics of this campaign. It's about time. We do not need the fear on top of everything else.

October 10, 2008 09:33 am at 9:33 am |
  4. M. Bryan

Way to go, Joe. Hate-mongering Sarah is the pits.
    Their campaign has sunk to the lowest of the low.

October 10, 2008 09:33 am at 9:33 am |
  5. suzie

Go Joe !! Tell her -take her little barbie butt back to Alaska!

That One and Biden '08!

October 10, 2008 09:33 am at 9:33 am |
  6. We are ALL "That One"

Go Joe! Tell 'em Brother! I loved hearing your interview on the radio yesterday!
    You are my Vice President!

"....and I repeat, Joe Biden is better than, (points to Palin) THAT!"

Obama-Biden 08

October 10, 2008 09:33 am at 9:33 am |
  7. ok

Go Joe! Enough is enough of McCain & Palin lies.

October 10, 2008 09:34 am at 9:34 am |
  8. CT from Chi-Town

Go Joe Go!

October 10, 2008 09:34 am at 9:34 am |
  9. Samson

You go, Joe!! You are the greatest.. I really think you are FANTASTIC AND COOL AND PATRIOTIC. Look Joe, I never really knew who you were until you got on the VP ticket. But all I've seen of you so far has only caused me to respect you more. You have knowledge and experience and integrity and you connect with people. We love you Joe. Dont let up on that "witch doctor" woman. She's unpatriotic. Look at how she billed Alaska per diem for staying at her home for half the year.

October 10, 2008 09:34 am at 9:34 am |
  10. David Minneapolis

Patriotic right now would be getting ready to help feed the homeless camps that are going to spring up all over. Patriotic right now would be recognizing that the fat cats in this country overreached themselves in their wars in Iraq and Afghanistan and having the courage to say that we made a mistake and to bring our troops home to take care of our elderly and children and crumbling infrastructure. Patriotic right now would not be appealing to the worst in us, that latent underbelly of unconscious American reality: racism and xenophopia. Patriotic would be urging us to be calm, urging us to remember what unites us rather than what divides us, urging us to sacrifice and stand together to make a better day.

October 10, 2008 09:34 am at 9:34 am |
  11. jm for sc

That's right!!! Enough is enough; let the Joe Biden I know come out on those clowns. Biden and Obama both have been nice enough to McCain and Palin.

Obama/Biden 08 and beyond

October 10, 2008 09:34 am at 9:34 am |
  12. LB

I am amazed that Sarah Palin can question anyone's patriotism based on the facts that her husband Todd was part of the Alaskan Independence Group. I am really interested in Todd Palin, maybe he is the real power behind Sarah. It is bad enough that we could have a president that it took 6 years to get a Journalism Degree, but if Todd Palin is the power behind her, he has no degree. Do we really want "folksy" people in the White House?

October 10, 2008 09:34 am at 9:34 am |
  13. Lee from FL

i could of sworn her husband Todd was in a group that wanted the state of Alaska separated from the United States.

October 10, 2008 09:34 am at 9:34 am |
  14. New Day

Oh, big man picking on a poor, defenseless woman!!!! hehehehehe just bustin your chops. GO GET HER, JOE!!!!!! ...AND HER SUGAR DADDY, TOO!!!! ...AND SUGAR DADDY'S MASTER IN THE WHITE HOUSE, TOO!!!!

October 10, 2008 09:35 am at 9:35 am |
  15. Donna

Get her arse Joe!!!!! But don't be too harsh, you know that she in only saying what she was told...she doesn't know what she is saying!!!!

October 10, 2008 09:35 am at 9:35 am |
  16. Stacy from Loudoun County VA

You know, Joe Biden is right about being Patriotic and paying taxes. If you support the troops then you support the troops having guns, having bullets, having armor, having HUMVEEs, having night vision goggles, having the best medical care, having the best weapon systems, having preadator drones for scouting missions and attacks, let me ask you...

How are these things paid for? With taxpayers' money folks! Don't just say you are a patriot! Put your money where your mouth is!

October 10, 2008 09:35 am at 9:35 am |
  17. Joe Sixpack

Oh oh...you made Biden mad, now I would hide if I were Mrs. Palin.

OBAMA/BIDEN '08

October 10, 2008 09:35 am at 9:35 am |
  18. Art

Biden is losing it. He's 'tired of being taken advantage of'?

Way too much whining from Biden. He's Obama's biggest mistake.

October 10, 2008 09:35 am at 9:35 am |
  19. Ron

“My government is my worst enemy. I’m going to fight them with any means at hand.”
    This quote is from Joe Vogler, the raging anti-American who founded the Alaska Independence Party, that’s the very same secessionist party that Todd Palin belonged to for seven years and that she sent a shout-out to as Alaska governor earlier this year.

October 10, 2008 09:35 am at 9:35 am |
  20. TKW- New Mexico

GO JOE! Now that's what I like about this ticket. It's for everyday working Americans. I'm tired of this mudslinging from the McInsane camp and it's about time we put a stop to it. They can't distract us from the issues anymore. It's time for the people to stand up and say ENOUGH OF THIS CRAP!

Obama/Biden 08/12

October 10, 2008 09:35 am at 9:35 am |
  21. Mike in Ohio

Joe Biden is exactly right!

The McCain/Palin campaign is so incredibly transparent. They have nothing to offer in the way of systemic, well-thought out solutions to the horrendous problems we are now facing. McCain is flailing about, each day searching for SOME proposal, ANY proposal, that might get traction with voters.

But the only theme that they seem to think works is: Smears, innuendos, and outright lies about their opponent. That's all they've got to offer. Smears, innuendos and lies. McCain/Palin is the most disingenuous, dishonest, incapable, ineffective ticket for national office that I have ever seen.

October 10, 2008 09:35 am at 9:35 am |
  22. Ken in NC

Bring the HAMMER down on Six-Pack-Sarah Joe. She doesn't have a clue. I'm proud of you and "THAT ONE". I know it is going to be a long hard road we have in front of us but I am confident that with you and "THAT ONE" leading us, we can reestablish our country as a leader in the world. We can again be a country that other countries look up to. Give Sister Sarah a six-pack and send her packing back to Alaska so she can have her Moose Burgers and let her take McShame with her.

October 10, 2008 09:36 am at 9:36 am |
  23. Lisa

Let em have it Joe, they deserve it. McCain and Palin are stopping at nothing to roll around in the mud. Do they think it will make a difference to people who have already decided to vote for Obama? Never!! If they really felt all this stuff was so important to this election why did they decide to start talking about it when they got behind in the polls. We see through your smoke and mirrors John McCain and it is not going to work. Why don't you try telling people how you are going to fix the country, not trying to start riots at your rallies.

October 10, 2008 09:36 am at 9:36 am |
  24. Rob

Joe Biden: "Yeah Sarah, don't lecture me on patriotism. I've plagarized enough speeches to know what it means!"

October 10, 2008 09:36 am at 9:36 am |
  25. Stef

Great Joe,

Someone should stand up to the McCain Camp, who do they think they are. If you were to stand in the room with either one of them, they would not say it to your face, Can you believe they call themselves christians, Christians don't act like that, who are they kidding.

October 10, 2008 09:36 am at 9:36 am |