October 10th, 2008

Biden to Palin: Don't lecture me on patriotism

Sen. Biden told Palin not to lecture him Thursday night.
Sen. Biden told Palin not to lecture him Thursday night.

JEFFERSON CITY, Missouri (CNN) – Joe Biden Thursday night told Sarah Palin not to lecture him on patriotism, after weeks of attacks mocking him for his statement the wealthy should be patriotic and pay higher taxes because not enough has been asked of them.

"Sarah Palin had great fun saying Joe Biden thinks paying taxes is patriotic. Well, let me tell you what Joe Biden thinks," the Delaware senator said at an outdoor rally. "Joe Biden thinks that anybody who takes millions of dollars offshore to avoid paying their fair share is unpatriotic."

The Obama-Biden campaign has accused John McCain of saying publicly he would close offshore banking loopholes, but saying otherwise in private.

"That is not patriotic and it will stop, it will stop in an Obama-Biden administration! Enough! I've had it up to here! Don't lecture me on patriotism," shouted Biden, getting drowned out by the applause of his supporters. "I'm dead tired of being taken advantage of. I'm getting tired of it."

Biden also said he's had enough of the McCain camp's personal attacks on Obama, slamming the Arizona senator for violating the "ethics" of the old neighborhood for not having the courage to go after Obama's character in their debates the way he has in speeches and in television ads.

"In my neighborhood you want to say something about me, look me in the eye and tell me," said Biden. "Say it to me straight up. Say it to me head on. That's the code, that's the ethics! Say it to me! Ladies and gentlemen, I'm tired of losing, I'm tired of taking this stuff, I've had enough."

There has been a perceptible shift this week in Biden's approach to attacking the opposing ticket. Since Wednesday, he has been increasingly willing to take on Sarah Palin individually, instead of his earlier approach of lumping her in with McCain or ignoring her altogether.

Biden's comments on patriotism were the second time he returned Palin's fire Thursday. Earlier, in Liberty, Missouri, Biden attacked McCain's new mortgage plan, using Palin's quip from last week that she has been listening to Biden's speeches since the second grade, which was intended to paint him as a Washington insider.

"That's true," Biden responded. "But she was in sixth grade the last time John had a new idea."

However, in the second use of that line here in Jefferson City, Biden incorrectly said Palin had made those comments directly to him at their debate in St. Louis last Thursday, rather than at a Columbus, Ohio rally three days prior.

Filed under: Joe Biden • Sarah Palin
  1. John S

Go get them Joe. They cannot stand up to your type of honesty and integrity. One thing you have above the McCain/Palin ticket is you and Obama have beeon honest with the American public and that will show in November when you sweep into the Oval Office with the biggest landslide win in American Polictical history.

October 10, 2008 09:36 am at 9:36 am |
  2. Dave

Does anyone really expect anything else out of Palin? She's proven time and again that she's nothing more than an incapable shill whose only talents are running her mouth and captivating a clueless audience with a wink and a smile.

So much for the best and the brightest…

October 10, 2008 09:36 am at 9:36 am |
  3. BluCanon

For someone that can see Russia from her back yard and the moon from her porch...how the heck can she talk??? Shout out to those that live in Alaska...but it's not even connected to the main land. But anyways.

Sarah Palin is an epic fail (that's a term we Facebook users use). How can J-Mc and Palin actually be running together on the same ticket when they don't agree on the same issues; and some of the J-Mc people prolly don't even like her. No isn't that something?!

TINA FEY! TINA FEY! TINA FEY!!!!! LOL!

YOU BETCHA! I'm voting for OBAMA!

October 10, 2008 09:36 am at 9:36 am |
  4. MarioB. from Berlin for OBAMA/BIDEN

But she was in sixth grade the last time John had a new idea."
    looooooooool great! I love you Joe!!!!!!!! You are so great, really. Move on. It's great to see. Time to go after these two idiots the way they deserve it. I guess, the attack dog becomes an attack tiger and I hope you will rip these two fools!
    Yeah, wtg Joe, and Barack too.
    You two do great actually and even turned West Virginia blue!

Obama/Biden in a landslide

October 10, 2008 09:37 am at 9:37 am |
  5. Lorna, NY

The more sleaze the Republicans pile on, the larger Obama's poll numbers get. Can't they see that this negative attacks are not working? Are they STUPID? Well, yes they are look who has been in the WH for the last year? THE DUMBEST PRESIDENT IN AMERICAN HISTORY! Is John McCain and Sarah Palin the best the Republicans can do? If so, they are on their way straight DOWN!

October 10, 2008 09:37 am at 9:37 am |
  6. Independent Dave, Iowa

GO GET 'EM JOE!

Send Dog-lips back to Alaska!

October 10, 2008 09:37 am at 9:37 am |
  7. Free Speech for Mccain

Joe needs to catch up on his reading of the constitution if he is to be the new vice president. "The Vice President of the United States shall be President of the Senate, but shall have no vote, unless they be equally divided." Pwnt o well regardless who wins they will be my president

October 10, 2008 09:38 am at 9:38 am |
  8. Steven

But if the Republicans stop attacking people on grounds of patriotism, what else would they be able to run on?

October 10, 2008 09:38 am at 9:38 am |
  9. James in NJ

Tell them Joe!
    I remember the McCain who had honor back in 2000. What a mean and low campaign he is running in his hour of challenge. If McCain were honorable he would pause the rally after the first vicious comment and tell that supporter that we don't have to fight like that to win.
    I like my intelligent candidate and my feisty VP. I wish I could vote today to put this negativity away.

Obama/Biden not soon enough!

October 10, 2008 09:38 am at 9:38 am |
  10. Still for Hill, but voting McCain

Is anything really believable from someone who said "Obama is not ready to lead" and "I would be John McCain's running mate if asked."

Really people, half the democrats don't like Obama and I'm one of them. Scream racism if you like.

Obama is a terrorist sympathizer and a friend of radicals.

McCain may not be the best candidate ever, but at least I not sitting here questioning whether he is a patriot to this country.

Country First... Vote McCain

October 10, 2008 09:38 am at 9:38 am |
  11. Latina for Obama (nj)

Way to go Joe!!!!! we love you!!!!

YES WE CAN!!!!

October 10, 2008 09:38 am at 9:38 am |
  12. Eric

Thanks Joe, and tell Palin to take her secessionist husband with her when she'll return to Alaska. Oh wait, it's true, he'll be in jail for his involvement in the Trooperscandal.

Aren't they real christian role models?

October 10, 2008 09:38 am at 9:38 am |
  13. TyWebb

An insult to Biden he had to spend 90 minutes with Palin in a debate to begin with.

October 10, 2008 09:38 am at 9:38 am |
  14. Maddie, Hartford, Ct.

Sara Palin would do herself (and her party) a huge favor and not get into a match with Joe Biden. She's out of her league, both with experience and basic smarts.

October 10, 2008 09:38 am at 9:38 am |
  15. Kathy S. Cloughn

The gall of the Republicans! They think they have the market on patriotism. Joe, go after them and don't let them get away with anything! We love you guys and hope you win in a landslide.

October 10, 2008 09:38 am at 9:38 am |
  16. bruce FORMER REPUBLICAN FROM MA.

Give them HELL ......................... Tell them the TRUTH ...................

You and Obama will have to shout it and write it because they refuse
    to hear or read...

Befor long the Obama and Biden admistration will be able to start

Setting it Right

Thanks to both of you

Yup, its that old-retired-white guy from Ma. Former Republican

Bruce

October 10, 2008 09:39 am at 9:39 am |
  17. Marc, Chandler, AZ

I don't know whats worse. The republicans spewing this crap or people actually taking them seriously. Anyone that can seriously say that they would have no problem with a Palin presidency is not mentally qualified to vote. Or they should just be tried for treason.

October 10, 2008 09:39 am at 9:39 am |
  18. mc

You tell 'em joe!!! If Biden got a quarter of the media coverage that Palin got, maybe more people would start to see just how easy the decision on November 4th should be.

October 10, 2008 09:39 am at 9:39 am |
  19. ralph

Just how are the McCain/Palin hate rallies supposed to help McCain win? Looks like McCain is wearing his David Dukes.

October 10, 2008 09:39 am at 9:39 am |
  20. Palin is a Patriot Act

Joe, please talk about the Alaska Independence Party!!! Then we'll see that Palin is not a patriot at all!

October 10, 2008 09:39 am at 9:39 am |
  21. Anna PA

Joe Biden is a true leader. Unlike the Dimwit that the old man picked!
    I say give it back to them harder then they gave. The republicans should get it spades for all of the swiftboating that they have done for more than 10 years of campaigning!!

Senator Obama made a very wise choice when he choosed Senator Biden to be his vp. I love Hiliary but she does not have the fire that Joe has!!

GO JOE!!!! CRUSH THEM

October 10, 2008 09:40 am at 9:40 am |
  22. Omentum

The Gloves are off... the heels are on she says.

NO MORE WHINING ABOUT SEXISM.

SMACK THE LIPSTICK OFF THAT PIG BIDEN.

October 10, 2008 09:40 am at 9:40 am |
  23. INDEPENDENT NOW

The wealthy in this country are who have gotten us into this MESS>>>+
    Palin wasnt sitting in Washington while all this was going down. You Senators and Congressman take no accountablity for anything. I am not a rocket scientist, but I have known this economy has been tanking for at least 2 years. If I knew that, how come you rejects in Washington just got the News cast last week! The american people are over all of you. Your all clueless, and we pay you , for you actions, or should I say inactions. You ought to be paid like myself on commission for what you produce. You would all be on food stamps!!!

October 10, 2008 09:40 am at 9:40 am |
  24. Cheryl

Again the contrast is stark – a truly genuine American servant vs. a pathetic ignorant clown. Do it Joe! Obama-Biden '08!!!

October 10, 2008 09:40 am at 9:40 am |
  25. CitizenS

The unpatriotism of Palin is having a husband connected to a group that is radical enough to want to secede from the U.S. and she herself that goes to their meetings and tells them they are doing a good job. Check it out in Salon news. Also, of trying to get one of their radical members to replace her on the Wasilla city council when she left. Unpatriotism of Palin is inciting the worried public about with false terroristic claims of a person that is going to beat the Mccain/Palin ticket in the ground. Sarah Palin = UNPATRIOTIC.

Obama/Biden 08 for the UNITED states!!

October 10, 2008 09:40 am at 9:40 am |