October 10th, 2008

Biden to Palin: Don't lecture me on patriotism

Sen. Biden told Palin not to lecture him Thursday night.
Sen. Biden told Palin not to lecture him Thursday night.

JEFFERSON CITY, Missouri (CNN) – Joe Biden Thursday night told Sarah Palin not to lecture him on patriotism, after weeks of attacks mocking him for his statement the wealthy should be patriotic and pay higher taxes because not enough has been asked of them.

"Sarah Palin had great fun saying Joe Biden thinks paying taxes is patriotic. Well, let me tell you what Joe Biden thinks," the Delaware senator said at an outdoor rally. "Joe Biden thinks that anybody who takes millions of dollars offshore to avoid paying their fair share is unpatriotic."

The Obama-Biden campaign has accused John McCain of saying publicly he would close offshore banking loopholes, but saying otherwise in private.

"That is not patriotic and it will stop, it will stop in an Obama-Biden administration! Enough! I've had it up to here! Don't lecture me on patriotism," shouted Biden, getting drowned out by the applause of his supporters. "I'm dead tired of being taken advantage of. I'm getting tired of it."

Biden also said he's had enough of the McCain camp's personal attacks on Obama, slamming the Arizona senator for violating the "ethics" of the old neighborhood for not having the courage to go after Obama's character in their debates the way he has in speeches and in television ads.

"In my neighborhood you want to say something about me, look me in the eye and tell me," said Biden. "Say it to me straight up. Say it to me head on. That's the code, that's the ethics! Say it to me! Ladies and gentlemen, I'm tired of losing, I'm tired of taking this stuff, I've had enough."

There has been a perceptible shift this week in Biden's approach to attacking the opposing ticket. Since Wednesday, he has been increasingly willing to take on Sarah Palin individually, instead of his earlier approach of lumping her in with McCain or ignoring her altogether.

Biden's comments on patriotism were the second time he returned Palin's fire Thursday. Earlier, in Liberty, Missouri, Biden attacked McCain's new mortgage plan, using Palin's quip from last week that she has been listening to Biden's speeches since the second grade, which was intended to paint him as a Washington insider.

"That's true," Biden responded. "But she was in sixth grade the last time John had a new idea."

However, in the second use of that line here in Jefferson City, Biden incorrectly said Palin had made those comments directly to him at their debate in St. Louis last Thursday, rather than at a Columbus, Ohio rally three days prior.

Filed under: Joe Biden • Sarah Palin
  1. Ty

That's right!!!
    Go get'em Joe. She is the one who is unpatriotic. Doesn't she understand that the accusation of terrorism she is directing towrd Obama as a US Senator is a direct Slap in the Face of the people of Illinois who voted him into office as well as all of the people who are voting for him to become the next president?

I just got my Ballot here in Iraq and DAMMIT I can't wait to fill it out and vote for Barack... This is my response to Sarah Palin and John McCain's nasty attacks....

October 10, 2008 09:43 am at 9:43 am |
  2. sally

Now they are attacking youthful drug use by Obama. Maybe the democrats could talk about the adult John McCain cheating on his first wife & trying to marry this current one while still married to his first one. The right wing religious base must have forgotten about this character defect. I am so sick of McCain/Palin. They disgust me.

October 10, 2008 09:43 am at 9:43 am |
  3. Steve - Atlanta GA

Send her back to her igloo Joe....so she and her pansy husband can go back home and continue on their road to make Alaska independent from the US. Talk about being Patriotic....she needs to get her own little "ice house" in order before preaching to others...

October 10, 2008 09:43 am at 9:43 am |
  4. James From Chicago

We all know Sarah Palin is an idiot. She cannot hold a candle to Biden
    behind. I think the american people are on to McCain & Palin's
    lies. I think they are coming to the realization they are going to loose
    in November. McCain can sit in front of the TV in his jammies and
    take his daily dose of Geritol and Palin can go back and raise her
    kids and watch Putin from Alaska.

October 10, 2008 09:43 am at 9:43 am |
  5. Brandon - Gahanna, Ohio

In all my time watching this stuff, I've never seen a campaign as dirty and dishonest as the McCain/Palin campaign. You guys think things are bad now under Bush? I don't think McCain is Bush. I think he's WORSE than Bush, and with Daily Scandal Palin likely to be forced to take over the Presidency in the near future if the Republicans won this one, we'd all be totally screwed without a snowball's chance in hell if she took office. I'm a registered Republican, and I'm voting for "the other one".

October 10, 2008 09:44 am at 9:44 am |
  6. Carramea

Sarah Biden was the keynote speaker at her hubby Todds Alaskan Independence group. She should be tried for treason ...... This woman wants to be VP

I decided to vote for Obama because he picked BIDEN......... I think both presidential candidates are in danger of not making it through a first term. At least I could sleep at night if Biden was president. If Palin got elected I would have to go buy my first gun ever and keep it under the pillow I think this country would go back to the wild west days. Yo Betcha.

October 10, 2008 09:44 am at 9:44 am |
  7. BK

Biden if you were a real american and cared about your country you would expose Obama for what he really is. You are a coward.

October 10, 2008 09:44 am at 9:44 am |
  8. Gary

McCain and Palin are pathetic!

October 10, 2008 09:44 am at 9:44 am |
  9. FactCheck

Joe Biden: "Yeah Sarah, don't lecture me on patriotism. I've plagarized enough speeches to know what it means!"
    ___________

Wow, did your mommy help you come up with that? BTW, you know that this is a lie but then again, when has that ever stopped your Repugs. Enjoy the next 4 years!!

October 10, 2008 09:44 am at 9:44 am |
  10. Nervous in Texas

I just hope that someone in the McCain camp would have the decency and sensibility to see what path their rallies is leading people. Its is inciting hatred and my fear is that something really bad is going to happen. The hatred that they are encouraging one another is so strong that it will get irrationaly people to do something that will hve a great impact on this country. Can someone get to McCain and rationalize with him tht this path is wrong. His followers are going to do something that we can't comeback from. Please Senator McCain, please stop encouraging the hate at your rallies, its wrong and it is sending your followers down the wrong path. They will do something that is not right, people will be hurt. Please we are all begging you, please put a stop to the hate.

October 10, 2008 09:44 am at 9:44 am |
  11. Jim

He's right. When you benefit inordinately from the bounty of our nation, it is the essence of true patriotism to repay some of that magnanimity.

October 10, 2008 09:44 am at 9:44 am |
  12. Brendan H., San Antonio, TX

Perhaps Caribou Barbie can explain her husband, Todd Palin, belonging to a Separatist Group and how "patriotic" that is?!?!?!

October 10, 2008 09:44 am at 9:44 am |
  13. Carramea

Rob Palin has directly plagarized lines in her speeches also........ One of her lines was taken from a neo nazi criminal.......... google before you speak

October 10, 2008 09:45 am at 9:45 am |
  14. Sue in MI

Go Joe! Time for some REAL straight talk. Can you believe McCain brought up the bridge AGAIN yesterday. I mean, the country is falling apart, and he wants to pat Sarah on the back for something she didn't do. And then she issues her own statement relieving herself of any blame in Troopergate...nice, sounds like Bush-Cheney and the War Crimes Act. Just what we need...more no tax, just spend big Republicans who lie.
    We've heard enough! Go away, all Republicans.

October 10, 2008 09:45 am at 9:45 am |
  15. nya2003

when biden become the angry old man it makes sense, but when mcsame is the angry old man it just makes him look bad...oh well

October 10, 2008 09:45 am at 9:45 am |
  16. Mary

Way to go Joe!!! It's about time you let them have it. Don't let up!

October 10, 2008 09:45 am at 9:45 am |
  17. Gene

Joe, Obama is taking advantage of your good honest values to further his dirty, personality cult campaign. I lost respect for you when you became part of it. Look at the other headlines here. Did you ever use cocaine? I'm 58 and I never did. Why does Obama get a free ride?
    How about his Acorn buddies rigging elections? Did you sit on a board with a 60's radical funding left-wing"education" experiments?
    When the truth comes out about him and his enthralled supporters open their eyes nobody will vote for him but the dead people and Jimmy John. Are you going to help him play the race card again? He keeps trying to make this election about race, when the other side won't because they know that they can beat him because he is WRONG.

October 10, 2008 09:45 am at 9:45 am |
  18. KJL

How about the Alaskan Independance Party? Palin was involved with this group, and I can't think of anything less patriotic than wanting to secede from the USA. I guess she wanted to be the Ice Queen.

October 10, 2008 09:46 am at 9:46 am |
  19. Junius

America is behind you Joe!!!

Sarah 'the liar' Palin needs to stop inciting violence! We have freedom of speech but once you allow a mob to start to yell 'Kill him', you are encouraging the violations of peoples rights. The right to life, if these people are to be taken at their word.

We are behind you Joe!!

October 10, 2008 09:46 am at 9:46 am |
  20. Elizabeth, NH

Obama / Biden will win because they will be able to Unite the country.
    Palin is a separatist and a divider, and not qualified to run a diverse
    country. It was pretty clear in Palin's "he's not like us" propoganda,
    that she has an un-American agenda, of which we should be wary .
    Palin will sink John McCain's ship.

October 10, 2008 09:46 am at 9:46 am |
  21. Stacy Clarks, TX

YEA BIDEN!!!!!

TELL THE MCCAIN PALIN TICKET WE DON'T CARE ABOUT THE SILLINESS!!!!

WE ARE MAD ABOUT OUR ECONOMIC SITUATION!!!!!

October 10, 2008 09:46 am at 9:46 am |
  22. henriettap

Palin /McCain have no idea on how to help our economy so they try everything but witches brew to get their express back on track ,but their wheels on the straight talk express took them onto her bridge to nowhere and now they are lost.But he has no clue whats going on,because as he said our economy was fundamentally strong.

October 10, 2008 09:46 am at 9:46 am |
  23. Bulldog

Palin is a disgrace and will take down the Republican Party when people find out the truths about her. Her ethics investigations, her evaiding taxes, her husbands ties to the Alaskan Independence party that hates the USA.

Palin is nothing more than the bad judgement of John McCain.

October 10, 2008 09:46 am at 9:46 am |
  24. Tom in Texas

Good job, Senator Biden. Get 'em running.

That One/Joe '08

October 10, 2008 09:47 am at 9:47 am |
  25. Shari, NY

Has another group joined the anti-GOP congo line? “McCain loses ground with scientists over planetarium remark” courtesy of Yahoo News. Apparently the astrologers did not like it when he chided Obama for his expenditure on the overhead projector. The mud that the GOP was slinging has boomeranged and now they are sinking in it.

October 10, 2008 09:47 am at 9:47 am |