October 10th, 2008

Biden to Palin: Don't lecture me on patriotism

Sen. Biden told Palin not to lecture him Thursday night.
Sen. Biden told Palin not to lecture him Thursday night.

JEFFERSON CITY, Missouri (CNN) – Joe Biden Thursday night told Sarah Palin not to lecture him on patriotism, after weeks of attacks mocking him for his statement the wealthy should be patriotic and pay higher taxes because not enough has been asked of them.

"Sarah Palin had great fun saying Joe Biden thinks paying taxes is patriotic. Well, let me tell you what Joe Biden thinks," the Delaware senator said at an outdoor rally. "Joe Biden thinks that anybody who takes millions of dollars offshore to avoid paying their fair share is unpatriotic."

The Obama-Biden campaign has accused John McCain of saying publicly he would close offshore banking loopholes, but saying otherwise in private.

"That is not patriotic and it will stop, it will stop in an Obama-Biden administration! Enough! I've had it up to here! Don't lecture me on patriotism," shouted Biden, getting drowned out by the applause of his supporters. "I'm dead tired of being taken advantage of. I'm getting tired of it."

Biden also said he's had enough of the McCain camp's personal attacks on Obama, slamming the Arizona senator for violating the "ethics" of the old neighborhood for not having the courage to go after Obama's character in their debates the way he has in speeches and in television ads.

"In my neighborhood you want to say something about me, look me in the eye and tell me," said Biden. "Say it to me straight up. Say it to me head on. That's the code, that's the ethics! Say it to me! Ladies and gentlemen, I'm tired of losing, I'm tired of taking this stuff, I've had enough."

There has been a perceptible shift this week in Biden's approach to attacking the opposing ticket. Since Wednesday, he has been increasingly willing to take on Sarah Palin individually, instead of his earlier approach of lumping her in with McCain or ignoring her altogether.

Biden's comments on patriotism were the second time he returned Palin's fire Thursday. Earlier, in Liberty, Missouri, Biden attacked McCain's new mortgage plan, using Palin's quip from last week that she has been listening to Biden's speeches since the second grade, which was intended to paint him as a Washington insider.

"That's true," Biden responded. "But she was in sixth grade the last time John had a new idea."

However, in the second use of that line here in Jefferson City, Biden incorrectly said Palin had made those comments directly to him at their debate in St. Louis last Thursday, rather than at a Columbus, Ohio rally three days prior.

Filed under: Joe Biden • Sarah Palin
  1. worriedmom

I am not a Obama supporter but I do have respect for Joe Biden and I realize he has good intentions when he talks to people but has a tendency to use his words wrong. To me, it is just sad that he decided to support Obama. Obama really scares me with his hidden agenda and now I hear that Obama's campaign had a representative meet with members from a Hamas organization in Virginia. Even though most of this site is for Obama does it just not worry you about these connections and that maybe you are being duped.

October 10, 2008 09:52 am at 9:52 am |
  2. Clement O

McCain/Palin is the perfect example of political risk. McCain crashed 3 US jets, and was outside his tour of duty the day he was shot and taken POW. Palin's husband is a member of a political group that may eventually actualise a break up of the United States! How unpatriotic!!

October 10, 2008 09:52 am at 9:52 am |
  3. Independent downright disgusted

As an independent, I am disgusted at the way Mccain and Palin have been behaving themselve's. If they will not be straight forward with the people and focus on the issues, instead of Ayer's, with the economy sinking, all they talk about is Ayer's, I've had enough of this smear campaign game, I am sick of it, and Mccain will loose my vote if this goes on for one more day.

October 10, 2008 09:52 am at 9:52 am |
  4. Karen, Arkansas

Give 'em Hell Joe! You are the man!

October 10, 2008 09:52 am at 9:52 am |
  5. Lou in Iowa

Now there's a REAL pit bull for you!

October 10, 2008 09:52 am at 9:52 am |
  6. Sweetie

Joe,

You know you said it!

Folks making over 250,000 a year should feel good about their Raise in Taxes under Obama! Bull! It will destroy our Economy!

You know you also said Obama isn't qualified to be President!

Just another Seasoned Politician saying anything to get elected!

Your credibility level is about zero!

October 10, 2008 09:52 am at 9:52 am |
  7. Gerry in Va. for Obama.

You are my hero Joe Biden. You tell it like it is...

October 10, 2008 09:53 am at 9:53 am |
  8. Gilberto

You tell that Bimbo! lol

October 10, 2008 09:53 am at 9:53 am |
  9. Xavier, Saint Louis, Missouri

Clueless Airhead Palin is nothing but the GOP's mutt with lipstick.

Get lost Palin, FOREVER!

OBAMA/BIDEN '08

October 10, 2008 09:53 am at 9:53 am |
  10. Republican Voting OBAMA

GREAT MESSAGE JOE, WAIT SHE WILL HEAR WHAT HER FATE IS LATER THIS AFTERNOON FROM HER STATE OF ALASKA WHEN THE REPORT IS RELEASED AND SHE HAS TO FACE THE JUDGE.

OBAMA/BIDEN 08/12

October 10, 2008 09:53 am at 9:53 am |
  11. Tax Payer

Now that the gloves are off, put out a challenge to Gov. Palin to tell us what she was thinking a year ago, 6 months ago or even a couple months ago. I'll gaurantee it had nothing to do with being 2nd in line. She has zero credibility to be there.

October 10, 2008 09:55 am at 9:55 am |
  12. GT

that's right....kick them off to the curb! ENOUGH with mccain/palin especially palin!

October 10, 2008 09:55 am at 9:55 am |
  13. Ted

We love you Mr. Vice President. You make a lot of sense.

October 10, 2008 09:55 am at 9:55 am |
  14. lyn

Well done Joe, McCain & Palin is running a very nasty campaign, even allowing their supporters to say killed Obama that is not right , McCain is not fit to be President,otherwise he would have stop his supporters for being so spiteful. Political ticker please print my comment, you always say awaiting moderation.

October 10, 2008 09:55 am at 9:55 am |
  15. Maggie from Virginia

All this talk about Obama being a terrorist is just low down. What does that say about Congress if they let a terrorist be a part of the governing body? Why would they let him be in the same room with the President if he was a terrorist?

October 10, 2008 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  16. Joel Miller

About time Obama and Biden took the gloves off. McCain and Palin are playing dirty while the economy is going down the toilet and the country is fighting 2 wars. They're wasting everyone's time and energy, in their choice to tear down their opponents while offering nothing but worn out right wing excuses for the rich and powerful.

October 10, 2008 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  17. Canuck

Good for you Joe. Go get her!!!

October 10, 2008 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  18. David

Questioning a candidates patriotism is one of the lowest attacks a candidate can make.

McCain and Palin have gone lower than George W. Bush (swift boats) and George Bush (Willie Horton). Apparently McCain is now attacking Obama's record on crime legislation, and one of his sidekicks is bringing up Obama's long past use of drugs. We are reaching lows I didn't think could happen. Red baiting and race baiting in one campaign? Say it ain't so Sarah. Sarah, If your a Christian, act like one!!!!

October 10, 2008 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  19. Annie, Atlanta

I'm glad Senator Biden is finally fighting back. She has been the ugliest candidate I've ever seen. Her attacks and hate rallies have been disturbing, to put it mildly. Check out the article on salon dot com (CNN never let's me post other web sites). Interesting stuff on Sarah Palin's affiliation with the Alaska Independence Party. CNN, why do we have to get this information from other sites?

October 10, 2008 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  20. Charla, De Kalb TX

The Straight Talk Express has sadly become the Trash Talk Express.

Didn't McCain vow to not run a negative campaign?

October 10, 2008 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  21. Kevin

McCain has lost his honor.

October 10, 2008 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  22. Obamafied Cheesehead

John McCain served and worked alongside people with strong bigoted pasts like Senators Jesse Helms, Strom Thurmond and Robert Byrd.

Thurmond ran for president as a Dixiecrat in 1948 with a platform to maintain segregation.
    Helms' policies were consistent and he didn't see blacks as full Americans.
    Byrd was once a member of the Ku Klux Klan, a domestic terrorist organization.

By the going standards, I think McCain should have stood up to his bigoted Senate colleagues or resigned in protest to their lowly ways. Nuff said.

October 10, 2008 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  23. Deb

Thanks for saying that Joe Biden!!!! I am so tired of seeing these rallies for McCain and Palin where they yell "USA, USA" like they are the only ones that are patriotic.

October 10, 2008 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  24. Roger

Does anybody realize when Obama is ahead in the polls the stock market goes south???

Do you need any further proof that his policies will destroy your 401k....your stocks, your mutual funds, your ira's??????

Think people.

October 10, 2008 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  25. Wake Up Joe!

JOE – Wake up! The only one taking advantage of you is Obama! You had zero respect for the man until he offered you the Vice Presidency. Now you are a blind follower and sound like a blithering idiot every time you try to explain his positions. Wake up and come back to your senses, Joe!

October 10, 2008 09:57 am at 9:57 am |