October 10th, 2008

Biden to Palin: Don't lecture me on patriotism

Sen. Biden told Palin not to lecture him Thursday night.
Sen. Biden told Palin not to lecture him Thursday night.

JEFFERSON CITY, Missouri (CNN) – Joe Biden Thursday night told Sarah Palin not to lecture him on patriotism, after weeks of attacks mocking him for his statement the wealthy should be patriotic and pay higher taxes because not enough has been asked of them.

"Sarah Palin had great fun saying Joe Biden thinks paying taxes is patriotic. Well, let me tell you what Joe Biden thinks," the Delaware senator said at an outdoor rally. "Joe Biden thinks that anybody who takes millions of dollars offshore to avoid paying their fair share is unpatriotic."

The Obama-Biden campaign has accused John McCain of saying publicly he would close offshore banking loopholes, but saying otherwise in private.

"That is not patriotic and it will stop, it will stop in an Obama-Biden administration! Enough! I've had it up to here! Don't lecture me on patriotism," shouted Biden, getting drowned out by the applause of his supporters. "I'm dead tired of being taken advantage of. I'm getting tired of it."

Biden also said he's had enough of the McCain camp's personal attacks on Obama, slamming the Arizona senator for violating the "ethics" of the old neighborhood for not having the courage to go after Obama's character in their debates the way he has in speeches and in television ads.

"In my neighborhood you want to say something about me, look me in the eye and tell me," said Biden. "Say it to me straight up. Say it to me head on. That's the code, that's the ethics! Say it to me! Ladies and gentlemen, I'm tired of losing, I'm tired of taking this stuff, I've had enough."

There has been a perceptible shift this week in Biden's approach to attacking the opposing ticket. Since Wednesday, he has been increasingly willing to take on Sarah Palin individually, instead of his earlier approach of lumping her in with McCain or ignoring her altogether.

Biden's comments on patriotism were the second time he returned Palin's fire Thursday. Earlier, in Liberty, Missouri, Biden attacked McCain's new mortgage plan, using Palin's quip from last week that she has been listening to Biden's speeches since the second grade, which was intended to paint him as a Washington insider.

"That's true," Biden responded. "But she was in sixth grade the last time John had a new idea."

However, in the second use of that line here in Jefferson City, Biden incorrectly said Palin had made those comments directly to him at their debate in St. Louis last Thursday, rather than at a Columbus, Ohio rally three days prior.

Filed under: Joe Biden • Sarah Palin
  1. Grandma for O

Thank you Joe! I'm so tired of the Republican ticket acting as if they have cornered the market on Patriotism and love of Country.

I'm a patriot, daughter of a fallen soldier, wife of a veteran, and mother of a son in Iraq and a Proud Democrat!

The Republicans do not own Patriotism or Love of Country so go get em' Joe!

October 10, 2008 09:58 am at 9:58 am |
  2. Dana from NY

You tell em Joe...Republicans do not own the copyright to Patriotism, and they have no right to try to make it seem as though they do! I am a very proud American,and a Democrat- and part of being an American is standing up for your country and doing your part! Nothing wrong with saying we all hold responsibilities to our country! Sadly McCain/Palin have clue what Integrity or Responsibility is...

Republicans in the effort of firing up their base have completely alientated the rest of the US- and it is to their own detriment! They disgust me and they highlight to me everything that is WRONG with our country and with some of the people in our country.

Obama/Biden 08- the Clarity and Sanity we NEED!!

October 10, 2008 09:58 am at 9:58 am |
  3. LaDonna

Our VP is smarter than your VP....nananananaa
    Hey Joe, when was TV invented you moron?

McCain-Palin 2008!!
    Palin – 2016 (choke on that one liberals!)

October 10, 2008 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  4. Chuck

Liberal, Socialist, Schmuck!!!

Obama and Biden will drive this country into the dirt just like Carter and Mondale did in the 70s.

October 10, 2008 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  5. Paula from Canada

You go to it Joe! She wants to play with the big boys well give her some reality. I never thought the U.S. would support such a bafoon again but Palin takes the cake! I pray for the world's sake Obama will win and these two Geezer/ Gidget get out of our faces.
    McCain's credibility has suffered so much his role on the Senate floor won't have any power at all. McCain you will reap what you have sowen here.. there is allot of bad Karma coming your way. Insighting hate.. my , my what a good Christian team.. Makes me want to literally vomit!

October 10, 2008 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  6. Christine El Paso

I just wish someone would shut her mouth for her, I'm sick of that voice! If I have to listen to that for 4 years or more I'll shoot my TV! LOL

October 10, 2008 10:00 am at 10:00 am |
  7. darrell

For every unreasonable, stupid, inane comment that comes from McCain or Palin, Obama and Biden have a reasonable, sound, intelligent response. The McCain/Palin rhetoric is doing nothing but appealing to their core constituency, which they already had in their pockets. It does not appeal to those that will decide this election, the independents. Fortunately those voters are intelligent enough to see through the vapid statements made by the Repubs.

October 10, 2008 10:00 am at 10:00 am |
  8. America the Stupid

Time has ran out on McOld and Mooselips.

THAT ONE 08

October 10, 2008 10:00 am at 10:00 am |
  9. Venus

Joe... time to put the gloves on and bring the hammer down on McShame and his pitbull!

October 10, 2008 10:00 am at 10:00 am |
  10. J.D.

Palin shouldn't lecture anybody about patriotism given that her husband belong to a political party that wants Alaska to secede from the United States, the leader of that party has said terrible things about the United States - and she attended their convention at least once and made a speech for them last year! WHEN WILL THE MEDIA DIG INTO THIS ALASKA INDEPENDENCE PARTY STUFF? These so-called journalists are so lazy! Get on it, dig in into this, blow this story up! Who are these weirdos? What is Palin's connection? We deserve to know BEFORE the election, not after.

October 10, 2008 10:00 am at 10:00 am |
  11. Texas Trail Dog!

WHY/ YOUR JOINED AT THE HIP WITH THE MOST UN-PATRIOTISM CANDIDATE TO DATE. WHAT ABOUT HIS DONATION OF $800,000 TO THE VOTER FRAUD ORGANIZATION. JUST ANOTHER ONE OF HIS WRIGHT, REZKO, TERRORIST HIRING AND ONE OF HIS LIES, RIGHT?

October 10, 2008 10:00 am at 10:00 am |
  12. ILoveAmerica

The McCain-Palin smear tactics are a desperate, dishonest, and despicable attempt to change the subject away from the economy, health care, education, and every other issue that matters to us. Those of us who don't own seven houses will not go along with this.

October 10, 2008 10:00 am at 10:00 am |
  13. Noracal

YoThis is like an old western where John and Sarah are the loudmouth towns people encouraging a mob to violence while they would be afraid to be out after dark if they were not in a group. McCain and Palin will carry this shame u go Joe. McCain/Palin are not petritoic. They are opportunist who think america is stupid. They are turning their crouds into lynch mobs knowing full well they are on the edge of inciting violence. This is not patritoic. This is not country first.This all reminds me of an old western where cowardly town mayor and loud mouth shop keeper stand in frount of a mob shouting out vile encouraging the mob own while they would not be out after dark as they are afraid , without the rest of the mob. John your a coward.Sarah your are a seperatist idoit.

October 10, 2008 10:00 am at 10:00 am |
  14. OMG

Vote for "THAT ONE"/Biden

October 10, 2008 10:00 am at 10:00 am |
  15. Debbie

YOU GOOOOOO JOE!

It's about time somebody come back at her. I don't see why people are holding back their tongue just becasue she's a woman. She's not holding back hers so you goooo joe.

October 10, 2008 10:00 am at 10:00 am |
  16. CMitch FW, TX

God is watching, waiting and knows.

October 10, 2008 10:00 am at 10:00 am |
  17. Good Change is Coming: Obama/Biden 08

Go Get them Joe....We are behind you all the way to the White House.

October 10, 2008 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  18. PATTY

AH, NOW THAT'S WHAT WE NEED TO BE HEARING. KKEP IT UP, VICE-PRESIDENT BIDEN. YES, INDEED, WE NEED TO HAVE ANOTHER VP DEBATE.

October 10, 2008 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  19. A-Man

FELLOW REPUBLICANS – help me send the message that we need to rebuild our party. McCain has no fresh ideas or direction and Palin is a ignorant joke. She cannot even put two sentences together that are not memorized or written down. All they do is try and put down Obama and Biden and they never give us any thought as to the future. If they wanted our vote they would tell us how things would be different under them, not how the others are so bad that our only choice is them. They have gave our party a black eye, and it is time we send a loud and clear message. For the first time ever I am voting Obama/Biden, I truly hope they help our country as I do when I vote republican. But I will not vote for McCain/Palin, this is a 40 year low spot for our party and its time for new blod and new direction and I am saying now that I will never support Palin in the future, she needs to go. Us republicans have some great people and these are not them!

October 10, 2008 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  20. Jamie

How about the fact that her husband has until recently been a member of the Alaskan secessionist party, a group whom she has given speeches to. I'm not saying that there's anything terribly wrong with that... but doesn't it contradict any bare bones definition of patriotism?

October 10, 2008 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  21. robert

obama /J 2008

October 10, 2008 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  22. vic nashville,Tn

Sen.Biden some time good person like you get in trouble because you are with wrong people

October 10, 2008 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  23. KIMBER

If you vote republican, you should have your head examined. I am a 40 year old white woman from SC. Obama is the proto type politian of the future. He is smarter than McSain, calmer than McSain and in touch the the people. If you don"t make 5 million dollars a year, you don"t count in McSains book. So why are some americans voting for this clown? His wife should put him in a retiremet home where he belongs. Instead of him talking jobs, his talking about things that don't concern the average person. PLEASE DON'T FALL FOR BUSHS THIRD TERM.

October 10, 2008 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  24. GINA, OHIO

OBAMA/BIDEN DEFENDERS OF THE PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MCCAIN/PALIN TICKET TO NO WHERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

October 10, 2008 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  25. undecided voter

Go get them!! we are tired of of Palin and old McCshame@!

October 10, 2008 10:01 am at 10:01 am |