October 10th, 2008

Rage rising on the McCain campaign trail

An angry supporter confronts Sen. John McCain at a rally in Wisconsin on Thursday.

(CNN) - With recent polls showing Sen. Barack Obama's lead increasing nationwide and in several GOP-leaning states, some Republicans attending McCain-Palin campaign rallies have taken on a new emotion: Rage.

"When you have an Obama, [House Speaker Nancy] Pelosi and the rest of the hooligans up there going to run this country, we have got to have our head examined. It's time that you two are representing us, and we are mad. So, go get them," one man told Sen. John McCain at a town hall meeting in Waukesha, Wisconsin.

Watch: Rage hits the McCain campaign trail

It's almost a cry for help, with the GOP party faithful amazed McCain could possibly be losing.

"And we're all wondering why that Obama is where he's at, how he got here. I mean, everybody in this room is stunned that we're in this position," another man said at a rally.

"I'm mad. I'm really mad. And what's going to surprise you, it's not the economy. It's the socialists taking over our country," another man said.

Full Story

1. Kerri

Yeah, Socialism is what we really have to be afraid of. Please.

2. Rob K.

Maybe if Bush and the GOP didn't run our country into the ground.

This election shouldn't even be close. If we didn't have such a racist country than Obama who is a once in a generation leader would be routing McCain by 20 points.

3. David

Socialists? Well, as opposed to the fascists behind McCain.

4. Adam BIDDUT Habib Dallas, TX

Looks like a Ku Klux Klan party.

5. Buckeye Voter

Don't these people read the newspaper? How can anyone – anyone – be surprised that the Republicans aren't doing well in this election? This isn't about Obama or McCain – it is about the performance of the Republican administration.

6. Nichole

This is what I am so scared of. I really think that McCain needs to find a way to calm down his supporters. They are too angry and hateful and it's frightening. I know that during elections the candidates attack each other, but for the supporters to be so enraged that others fear violence may come of it is horrifying.

I want to live in a country where we all can all live without fear. I hope that happens soon.

7. 61 year old White guy from NC

My 401K is gone, so my vote for Mc Cain. I'll vote democrat for the first time in my entire life

8. Jeff

Funny how a man like McCain fought so hard for our country at war but now is trying to split it up with his negative campaign. He says nothing now but attacks at Obama. Man up and confront him at the next debate, what next should we expect from the old angry man.

I must admit I'm getting worried with all these angry crowds. It doesn't look they care about politics but about hurting Obama.

9. Laszlo in L.A.

Am I the only one who sees how dangerous this is? Did I wake up in America, or Pakistan? When did it become impossible to hold a political debate without calling for the other candidate's head?

Supporting your team is one thing. Hilary Clinton's fans urged her not to give up all the way through Denver. But I can't recall any of them displaying the type of rage seen in this clip.

With Sarah Palin actively egging this on and John McCain at least condoning it, it's not too far removed to see physical harm coming to somebody. This needs to stop.

10. Obama/Biden 08/12

That's what McCain gets for messing with Obama.

11. JJ

Jeff, Texas October 10th, 2008 2:49 pm ET

This here is one ashamed registered Republican!

My party has let me down and humiliated me! I have made my mind up, and will be "putting country first" this year.. i will vote democratic for the first time in my life!

Jeff,
    Welcome to the winning side! :-)

12. renando

Remember all of those people are armed. You should be as well.

That is why I am a Second amendment supporting democrat for Obama/Biden 08

13. Anonymous

Obama will destroy everyone.

14. GP

Turn around is fair play. For eight years now we've been stunned to believe that America could select Bush, not once but twice.

Welcome to the club. A little late, but now that you're here, how does it feel?

15. Helene

Incitement to violence and riots is a CRIME. McCain/Palin should be prosecuted for this.

16. Pete, Houston Tx

McCain and Palin are inciting rage and hatred amongst fellow Americans. Yet they deride the Islamic extremists for inciting hatred and violence against Americans. Does John McCain have to borrow a leaf each from Karl Rove and Osama Bin Laden in order to win this election? Where is John McCain's conscience while he makes a lame attempt at portraying Obama as a terrorist. This is going too far.

John McCain and Sarah Palin have to be called to order before they turn us all against each other. This has to STOP! Americans must rise up against this politics of division. We have a nation to rebuild.

Families are hurting right now under the crushing economic burden and all John McCain offers is to use Osama Bin Laden's tactics of fear? So who is the real terrorisist now? Osama Bin Laden? John McCain, Sarah Palin or all there? America, you decide!

17. Barb

What scares me the most is that with this deep hatred and anger that some mentally unbalanced individual is going to take it upon his or herself to eliminate the "problem". Hopefully the secret service is strong enough and large enough that the can guarantee the safety of Obama, Michelle and their children.

October 10, 2008 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  18. Allan Woodland Hills, CA.

Is this really Country first? This is stupidity and dangerous. McCain and Palin are truly scary people.

October 10, 2008 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |