October 11th, 2008

McCain to supporters: 'You’re angry, and I’m angry too'

McCain acknowledged anger on the trail Saturday.
McCain acknowledged anger on the trail Saturday.

DAVENPORT, Iowa (CNN) - After days of headlines over the emotion at his campaign events, John McCain acknowledged at a rally in Davenport, Iowa Saturday that he and his supporters are angry - but insisted the anger wasn't directed at opponent Barack Obama.

After a week of headlines about angry outbursts from the audience at McCain-Palin rallies directed toward Obama, the Republican nominee added some new lines in his stump speech giving a nod to the emotion on the trail.

"My friends, I have traveled all over this great country, and one thing I have heard from Americans at every stop is that they are angry. They’re angry. They’re angry. They’re angry about the mess in Washington and Wall Street. They’re angry about the failure of leadership at this hour of national crisis,” said McCain. “Well you’re angry, and I’m angry too, and when Sarah Palin and I get to the White House we’ll turn Washington upside down.”

But Obama’s record didn’t entirely escape McCain’s wrath. The GOP presidential candidate pointed to a large contribution to Obama’s political campaign from a beneficiary of one of his opponent's earmarks.

“I guess it was sheer coincidence that the chairman of the planetarium pledged to raise more than $200,000 dollars for Senator Obama’s political campaign,” said McCain. “My friends, the appearance of this insider dealing angers Americans. I am going to put a stop to that, my friends, when I am president.”

A protestor brandishing a sign that read “war is over” brought the crowd back to a more familiar kind of anger - but drew a measured response from McCain.

“You know, my friends, there’s a perfect example of some people that just don’t get it," said the Arizona senator. "You know, as people trying to stay in their homes, keep their jobs and afford health care, is what they want is for us to yell at each other ? No. They want us to sit down together, Republican and Democrat, and work together in this terrible time of crisis, the largest financial crisis in our history.”

“And by the way my friends, as you know, I’ve had hundreds of town hall meetings and I always give people a chance to talk. I don’t always enjoy it but I give them a chance to talk and that’s what its all about,” he said to cheers from the crowd. “So if there is anyone else that has a problem, come to the next town hall meeting. I’ll be glad to talk to ya.”

Filed under: John McCain • Popular Posts
  1. JNC, California

I am not surprised how racist America is, but when I see all this hate at these town hall meetings...that's where it becomes scary!!! McShame and that fake hockey mom that just got booed are getting what they deserve!! Also I really respect CNN, but LOU DOBBS, you sir, are not an Independent, but are working with the republican party...

October 11, 2008 11:53 pm at 11:53 pm |
  2. Michy

You people are insane. There is no racism here. You and Obama just CAN NOT answer the questions we Americans want...why did you work with Ayers – who gave you $50 million to disperse when he worked for him, and what about his racist church with rev. Wright, and what about him paying ACORN $800,000 to get voters in the states that have commited fraud, and what about having his college records sealed, and what about his support of live birth abortions, and what about having his college paid for my radical anti-american extremists? Shall I go on??????

October 12, 2008 12:13 am at 12:13 am |
  3. Michy

As a black american, I find these comments insulting. There is evidence that Obama HAS worked with terrorists in the past – anti-american terrorists. And saying the truth is NOT racist. Wake up people. He did the same thing to Hillary and he's trying the same thing on McCain. Obama is the one causing racial tension. Oh, and I am a black american but I don't attend anti-white churches. Imagine if McCain's pastor preached hate toward black people??? Then it wouldn't be ok, would it?

October 12, 2008 12:27 am at 12:27 am |
  4. Trica

No Osama

October 12, 2008 12:46 am at 12:46 am |
  5. Wren

Joe Biden is the sexiest man alive !

Obama/Biden 08

October 12, 2008 04:17 am at 4:17 am |
  6. G. Howard

I am a Democrat, that was leaning to vote for McCain\Palin ticket. But after that question when the women accused Obama being an "Arab" and McCain responds was " a decent,family man" NOT a decent American family man, he lose my vote. And if something happens to Obama before this elections, America will no longer have the voice to cry injustice to those who abuses their citizens of different race, religion, or social standing. Speaking of terrorists, Is the Alaskan Separtist Group on that list? If so, why not the media attack her family (husband) for being a member of said group the why they attacked Obama ex-peacher?

October 12, 2008 08:00 am at 8:00 am |