October 11th, 2008

McCain to supporters: 'You’re angry, and I’m angry too'

McCain acknowledged anger on the trail Saturday.
McCain acknowledged anger on the trail Saturday.

DAVENPORT, Iowa (CNN) - After days of headlines over the emotion at his campaign events, John McCain acknowledged at a rally in Davenport, Iowa Saturday that he and his supporters are angry - but insisted the anger wasn't directed at opponent Barack Obama.

After a week of headlines about angry outbursts from the audience at McCain-Palin rallies directed toward Obama, the Republican nominee added some new lines in his stump speech giving a nod to the emotion on the trail.

"My friends, I have traveled all over this great country, and one thing I have heard from Americans at every stop is that they are angry. They’re angry. They’re angry. They’re angry about the mess in Washington and Wall Street. They’re angry about the failure of leadership at this hour of national crisis,” said McCain. “Well you’re angry, and I’m angry too, and when Sarah Palin and I get to the White House we’ll turn Washington upside down.”

But Obama’s record didn’t entirely escape McCain’s wrath. The GOP presidential candidate pointed to a large contribution to Obama’s political campaign from a beneficiary of one of his opponent's earmarks.

“I guess it was sheer coincidence that the chairman of the planetarium pledged to raise more than $200,000 dollars for Senator Obama’s political campaign,” said McCain. “My friends, the appearance of this insider dealing angers Americans. I am going to put a stop to that, my friends, when I am president.”

A protestor brandishing a sign that read “war is over” brought the crowd back to a more familiar kind of anger - but drew a measured response from McCain.

“You know, my friends, there’s a perfect example of some people that just don’t get it," said the Arizona senator. "You know, as people trying to stay in their homes, keep their jobs and afford health care, is what they want is for us to yell at each other ? No. They want us to sit down together, Republican and Democrat, and work together in this terrible time of crisis, the largest financial crisis in our history.”

“And by the way my friends, as you know, I’ve had hundreds of town hall meetings and I always give people a chance to talk. I don’t always enjoy it but I give them a chance to talk and that’s what its all about,” he said to cheers from the crowd. “So if there is anyone else that has a problem, come to the next town hall meeting. I’ll be glad to talk to ya.”

Filed under: John McCain • Popular Posts
  1. Deb

Most American's are angry because of the economy. The McCain/Palin supporter are just nuts. They kinda of remind me of the ignorance in the South towards blacks. They are filled with stupid thoughts that Obama is a terrorist, a Muslim, etc. McCain/Palin are responsible for this but it didn't take much to sway thier supporters. I have to laugh when people say, I like Palin, she's just like me. Do you want someone just like yo just a heartbeat away from the Presidency. Many thought the same about Bush, need I say more.

October 11, 2008 10:15 pm at 10:15 pm |
  2. Bea in Dallas, TX

I'm so proud that the diverse crowds of Sen. Obama are focused on the issues and coming together as a nation.

October 11, 2008 10:15 pm at 10:15 pm |
  3. Ohio for Obama

Gee, these Republican audiences and their cheerleaders McBush and Palin are sounding rather "bitter."

October 11, 2008 10:16 pm at 10:16 pm |
  4. doodles

scy corrupt buffoon? I didnt know Biden was corrupt buffoon yes :)

October 11, 2008 10:16 pm at 10:16 pm |
  5. pam

John McCain is a dishonorable person. He started this downfall by unwisely selecting Palin and turning her loose. Pitbulls can't be trusted as a breed! They stoked the fire of rage and are responsible for the outcome. Their behavior is unAmerican and sane people know it.

October 11, 2008 10:17 pm at 10:17 pm |
  6. Susan

> Bear
    > October 11th, 2008 5:20 pm ET
    > To all Muslim: ve must support Obama and help with money.

Bear, you spell Muslim wrong every time you post. This may be the first time you got the spelling right. I bet you know how to spell 'Republican who likes scare tactics.'

October 11, 2008 10:18 pm at 10:18 pm |
  7. Brain in DC

I'm angry too that all this happened while you are showering Bush with your support, and claiming that we are doing much better than 8 years ago!

October 11, 2008 10:18 pm at 10:18 pm |
  8. Ronnie

McCain and Palin are loosers!Their racist hate speech is inciting the rednecks and they best hope no harm comes to Obama because they will be accessories to any crimes.I would personally love to see these two spend the rest of their worthless lives in prison.

October 11, 2008 10:18 pm at 10:18 pm |
  9. doodles

scy btw if the truth is a smear then so be it

October 11, 2008 10:19 pm at 10:19 pm |
  10. PulSamsara

Why would America REWARD complete Republican failure ?

We wont.

October 11, 2008 10:20 pm at 10:20 pm |
  11. Ann

I guess it is not enough for Senator McCain to promote divison reagrding the color barrier but he also wants to insite division amonst religion too! So what about the Jewish people as well... McCain is an unfair man wiht unfair policies and I rankly do not want a President who is willing to win an election at any cost...At the cost of dividing the American people! If you think America was targets before...imagin how vulnerable we will be if McCain wins this election because of fear and division. Not only has he set the Womans rights movement back 40 years, choosing a running mate because of her gender and not her content but he also is steadily working of setting a newer and better diversified America back 60 years too...It is not just the African Americans who should be feeling a gripe here but the Spanish-Americans and Asian- Americans too....If it is not going to stop now then it is not likely to stop anytime soon. This is now bigger than more of the same George Bush policies...it is now about the comfort, reliablility and cohesiveness of our Country. McCain is not putting Country first and I am dissappointed that he is on the ticket. I would prefer at least a Republican who truely can put Country first. And with that...this Independent has decided to vote for Obama.. I will take a chance on him and what could be...god or bad than on someone I cannot respect, because now to me McCain has no character.

October 11, 2008 10:20 pm at 10:20 pm |
  12. Mighty Joe Young

I'm angry too. Conservatives deregulated the savings and loan industry and led us into the savings and loan debacle. They deregulated the mortgage industry and led us into this disaster. Those people are dangerous. I don't know if Conservatives really believe in their nutty free-market economic fundamentalism or whether they are lying. Probably some of both. We can't afford to let those people wreck the nation any more than they already have. They lead us from one disaster to the next, all the while pretending that they are doing an excellent job.

Vote for Sen. Obama, please.

October 11, 2008 10:21 pm at 10:21 pm |
  13. doodles

we are the one/ firing an innocent man ? who said that? did u read the report? and do you know whats going on right now? an election that is what and do u know she is the one who went after ted stevens in alaska? think about that. and no one cares state trooper is still working drunk wife beating child abusing terrorist still carries a gun in alaska , are you happy? She had every right to fire cabinet member for insubordination he refused her orders on budget

October 11, 2008 10:22 pm at 10:22 pm |
  14. lfarrelliu1

Hey Not Me, I guess we'll never know; Obama won't lose. PUT DOWN THE KOOLAID AND COME OUT WITH YOUR HANDS UP!

Cheers

October 11, 2008 10:23 pm at 10:23 pm |
  15. Joyce

John McCain: If you are a leader, take the first step to stop this spreading hatred. Tell your advisors, etc., enough! Your campaign staff has a great desire to see you elected president, unfortunately, they are doing it at you and your reputation's expense. They started this controversy of hatred, lies, and inuendoes, now demand that they stop it! Be sure to tell the Sarah Palin to calm her rhetoric down and do not encourage her to use verbal barrages against your opponent.
    Tell us what YOU can do.

October 11, 2008 10:23 pm at 10:23 pm |
  16. charzie NY

Palin-pooh scares the bejesus out of me. Along with her power-hyngry mental problems, she totes guns. Her candicacy has lowered the once prestigious position of the second-highest office in the USA. McShame should be ashamed that he has put our country in jeopardy by carrying this incompetent barbie doll on the so-called "ticket". Those running his campaign only have their own interests at heart: they have ambitions to be in the McPalin cabinet. Wouldn't that be an interesting group of morons running the country!!!

October 11, 2008 10:23 pm at 10:23 pm |
  17. Ms. RDS

@JoeNovell....so let me get this straight. Under the Bush tax cuts your job has gone away. So logic would say that THE Bush tax cuts DON'T WORK to spur job creation. If they were working so masterfully you and the other hundreds of thousands of Americans would still be employed. So if they didn't work for 8 years what makes you think they are going to work if we try them for another 4 years....I just dont see your logic.

October 11, 2008 10:24 pm at 10:24 pm |
  18. Kaye- Jacksonville FL

Hey John – we're ALL angry at your hateful campaign, your nominee for VP, your incomprehensible transformation from a moderate, reasonable Republican into the lunatic you are today....

Hope you can sleep at night knowing what you're hateful tactics are doing to our country...

October 11, 2008 10:24 pm at 10:24 pm |
  19. X-Republican in Texas for Obama

Of Course McCain is angry. All the lies, negative campaigning, and money spent on negative adds against Obama are not working.

October 11, 2008 10:25 pm at 10:25 pm |
  20. doodles

i think you guys are the ones who are out of control angry does that make u racists? :)

October 11, 2008 10:25 pm at 10:25 pm |
  21. JAM

It appears that McCain is still "feeding the fire", although not so blatantly. He has yet to clearly address the "terrorist/muslim/arab/bomb him/kill him" diatribe outright and calm these people down before someone gets hurt.

Obama/Biden '08

October 11, 2008 10:26 pm at 10:26 pm |
  22. Julie

This is exacly what the McCain campaign wanted. They want to put anger and fear into everyone and for some it has worked...Not only until all the Media started to cover it did it stop.
    John McCain showed a little of the 2000 John McCain when the women called Obama an Arab. Sarah Palin did not want to stop it. She is after one thing....to be President, that is what she is doing now for 2012. She has an agenda, her and Todd Palin and that is to be in the White House with her as President...after all she was a Mayor for years in that small town in Alaska how hard could it be to run the rest of the country????

October 11, 2008 10:27 pm at 10:27 pm |
  23. TheDonald

I am waiting for the day McAngry will explode just like Howard Dean, I think he is getting close though.

October 11, 2008 10:27 pm at 10:27 pm |
  24. Andy Jeffries, Clarksville TN

Senator McCain, you are not my friend. Please stop calling everyone your friend. The majority of Americans believe in Obama. Not you.

October 11, 2008 10:28 pm at 10:28 pm |
  25. Jocely

John McCain And Sarah Pelin have some explaning to do to Secret service for what they say to they support in they rilly calling Obama teorist, Arab and making threat against another candidate.

Secret service need to investigate McCain Campaign