October 11th, 2008

McCain to supporters: 'You’re angry, and I’m angry too'

McCain acknowledged anger on the trail Saturday.
McCain acknowledged anger on the trail Saturday.

DAVENPORT, Iowa (CNN) - After days of headlines over the emotion at his campaign events, John McCain acknowledged at a rally in Davenport, Iowa Saturday that he and his supporters are angry - but insisted the anger wasn't directed at opponent Barack Obama.

After a week of headlines about angry outbursts from the audience at McCain-Palin rallies directed toward Obama, the Republican nominee added some new lines in his stump speech giving a nod to the emotion on the trail.

"My friends, I have traveled all over this great country, and one thing I have heard from Americans at every stop is that they are angry. They’re angry. They’re angry. They’re angry about the mess in Washington and Wall Street. They’re angry about the failure of leadership at this hour of national crisis,” said McCain. “Well you’re angry, and I’m angry too, and when Sarah Palin and I get to the White House we’ll turn Washington upside down.”

But Obama’s record didn’t entirely escape McCain’s wrath. The GOP presidential candidate pointed to a large contribution to Obama’s political campaign from a beneficiary of one of his opponent's earmarks.

“I guess it was sheer coincidence that the chairman of the planetarium pledged to raise more than $200,000 dollars for Senator Obama’s political campaign,” said McCain. “My friends, the appearance of this insider dealing angers Americans. I am going to put a stop to that, my friends, when I am president.”

A protestor brandishing a sign that read “war is over” brought the crowd back to a more familiar kind of anger - but drew a measured response from McCain.

“You know, my friends, there’s a perfect example of some people that just don’t get it," said the Arizona senator. "You know, as people trying to stay in their homes, keep their jobs and afford health care, is what they want is for us to yell at each other ? No. They want us to sit down together, Republican and Democrat, and work together in this terrible time of crisis, the largest financial crisis in our history.”

“And by the way my friends, as you know, I’ve had hundreds of town hall meetings and I always give people a chance to talk. I don’t always enjoy it but I give them a chance to talk and that’s what its all about,” he said to cheers from the crowd. “So if there is anyone else that has a problem, come to the next town hall meeting. I’ll be glad to talk to ya.”

Filed under: John McCain • Popular Posts
  1. Harry Santiago-Perez, Philadelphia

McBush: I am angry because everything is going down, my 401K, the Dow, my poll numbers, and my.....Gosh, Darn, Cindy told me that went down years ago ...

October 11, 2008 10:30 pm at 10:30 pm |
  2. FG

We are getting a good look at the McCain mainstream: bigoted, backward looking ideologues.
    Notice how most of the moderate Republicans have stayed away the last two weeks.
    It's Cindy, Sarah and John the aka " the angry menage a trois"
    And remember anger is one letter away from danger.

October 11, 2008 10:30 pm at 10:30 pm |
  3. sandy

He and his running mate started all this, and now he acts like the way people are responding in such violent ways is a "shock to him". He has no business being our President. I want a President that I can look up too. I want a President I can be proud of. I want Obama for President. I am white, 64 years old and I will be more than honored to vote for Barack Obama for President of the United States.

October 11, 2008 10:30 pm at 10:30 pm |
  4. Cherie

PLEASE STOP AND TAKE A BREATH EVERYONE!!!!

Yes, President Bush has made some mistakes, but so has our Congress. When these two do not work together mistakes will continue. Has everyone forgotten that within less than 9 months of Mr. Bush taking office, we in America thought our world was coming to an end. He is being BLAMED for everything that has gone wrong in this country. If our elected President, no matter whom it is, has that kind of power, it would mean that we would have no reason to have a Congress or Governors or even Financial Institutions. That would mean we would no longer have a Democracy.
    When I hear, or should I say read the hatred that you are writing, I truly fear for this wonderful country of ours, because you sound like the 2 men running for president. Hatred is contagious and it seems to be spreading very fast. Controversy is healthy if it isdirected sensibly and matter-of-factually. Right now we are all afraid of the condition this country is in, and that is reasonable, but we must stay calm and not forget that situations can change for the better. Just remember, we are all AMERICANS and we have stood STRONG through worse conditions and we will again.

October 11, 2008 10:31 pm at 10:31 pm |
  5. Jocely

Is this what you call country fisrt John McCain.

I hope when this all over you and Sarah move to Alaska.

J.

NY

October 11, 2008 10:34 pm at 10:34 pm |
  6. d_cezr

Pray for McCain/Pailin to win. Don't give Obama any more energy by praying he won't.

October 11, 2008 10:35 pm at 10:35 pm |
  7. Sue in MI

And now it's coming out that Palin charged Alaska for many visits/speeches at CHURCHES. While this doesn't surprise me, it does point out that she sees no line between her religion and her governing.
    She and her husband and her dysfunctional family (shouldn't those girls be IN SCHOOL?) need to get on their high-priced jet to home. Soon. Today the crows in Philly booed her-tomorrow it may be an entire rally. She cannot be trusted...she asks all these questions about Obama-I say, who IS Sarah Palin? And to say he's in this for his ego is just amazing-her ego is bigger than her state.

October 11, 2008 10:35 pm at 10:35 pm |
  8. Carol, California

John Mc Klan is angry, evil, and dangerous. And so his abuse of power sidekick.

October 11, 2008 10:36 pm at 10:36 pm |
  9. greenwalk

McCain should be angry at himself for running a dirty campaign. He probably would have won had it ran an honest one.

October 11, 2008 10:36 pm at 10:36 pm |
  10. doodles

what i cant understand about margie from floridas comment is why she would support the candidate with the least experience over the one with the most because she doesnt like sarah and things sarah is stupid.when in all reality sarah has more experience then Barack ! sounds like sexism to me ummmmmmmmmmm

October 11, 2008 10:36 pm at 10:36 pm |
  11. Liza

Actions speak louder than words.

VOTE !!! PEOPLE !!

11/4

OBAMA/BIDEN

October 11, 2008 10:37 pm at 10:37 pm |
  12. nancy

well is acorn still frauding on the votes look like some one going to make sure that obamo winning i hope they put them all in jail . i love fox news they tell all the new not just. what people want to hear . they tell how obamo give them 800 thousand dollars to acorn what will he do if he don't win ask for his money back ha.ha.ha.

October 11, 2008 10:38 pm at 10:38 pm |
  13. Obama 2008

To "Lenora Virginia" You hit the nail on the head. I thought I was the only one feeling like that about Lou Dobbs. I use to like his show, but he started in on Obama a long time before now. And, he has never said anything out of the ordinary about Hillary or McCain. At least not like he has done with Obama. He's another one that is letting his true colors show and taking advantage of his status to bring someone down. Thank you so much for your post!!!! :)

October 11, 2008 10:40 pm at 10:40 pm |
  14. michelle ATL

McCain and Palin are angry? They just found out they will not win in Nov. It has taken them this long to figure it out, wow they really are living in their own little worlds!

I have been angry for the last 8 years with Bush......

I am very angry at MCain and Palin for all their lies, deceptive campaign smears against Obama....they are starting a civil unrest in this country and they need to stop it.

Voted for Obama/Biden in Georgia

October 11, 2008 10:40 pm at 10:40 pm |
  15. facts are facts

McCain is using Palin to incite the hate as she once again did today telling a crowd that basically he is a baby killer. Further to this there is a taped message on the net of the Republican Party's press release trying to link Michelle Obama with terrorism.

The fact is these people are sick. The issue isn't racism it's facism and the hate they are trying to create is meant to incite some deranged Republican to violence.

October 11, 2008 10:40 pm at 10:40 pm |
  16. Trasa, Texas

I just want to say, for those that want to say check out his birth certificate. First of all, it doesn't matter where Obama is born, the simple fact that his mother was an "American Citizen legalizes him automatically. PERIOD! Just like McCain who by the way was born, I believe the Panamal Canal. Because his parents are legal US citizen which makes him a legal citizen. People need to get educated. Also, if Obama was a terrorist, he wouldn't even made past the first steps to the state house let alone run for President. It's called a background check by the government itself. And it's an extensive one too. Once again, get educated people.

October 11, 2008 10:43 pm at 10:43 pm |
  17. Helene from CA

Write to McCain's website and let them know that you're mad as hell and that you are repulsed by the hate they are spewing. Sarah Palin is a disgrace and a very scary person. Should anything happen to Obama from Palin's and McCain's hate speeches, I will insist that my representatives hold them personally accountable. I've lived through the hate of the '60's and never want to see it in my country again.

Political discourse should be about issues and presenting ideas, not instilling fear and hate about your opponent to an illiterate electorate.

Hope not fear in '08
    Obama/Biden

October 11, 2008 10:43 pm at 10:43 pm |
  18. Steve in LV,NV

When Obama came to speak here in Las Vegas last month, he was at the baseball sadium that seats 12,000...14,000+ showed up. Black, white, Native Ameicans, Asians. The people could not even thought that Obama is an Arab, but a man with a plan. They cheered him beyond belief. What a sight....So many dif

October 11, 2008 10:46 pm at 10:46 pm |
  19. Rose NJ

Good Evening All:

This is a first for me, let me begin with "CHANGE". It is definitely time for change and we all need to unite and not let the "Republican Party" divide us. We have come too far to turn back now and as we know there are more and more interracial couples out here than ever before. The mere fact the a Govenor from Alaska was able to enact the "terrorism factor is demeaning and distasteful!! Here is what I got of the Alaskan Website:

Extremists Mark Chryson and Steve Stoll helped launch Palin’s political career in Alaska, and in return had influence over policy. “Her door was open,” says Chryson — and still is.

In the broadest sense, Palin is a poseur. Alaska is too large and culturally diverse (it’s only a bit smaller than the entire lower 48 east of the Mississippi, and once was divided into four time zones) to be summed up by some abstract, romanticized notion. And even if it could be, it sure wouldn’t be symbolized by Palin. “The typical Alaskan? She couldn’t be farther from it,” says Alaska House Minority Leader Beth Kertulla.

Still, Palin is a genuine Alaskan — of a kind. The kind that flowed north in the wake of the ’70s oil boom, Bible Belt politics and attitudes under arm, and transformed this state from a free-thinking, independent bastion of genuine libertarianism and individuality into a reactionary fundamentalist enclave with dollar signs in its eyes and an all-for-me mentality.

Palin’s Alaska is embodied in Wasilla, a blue-collar, sharp-elbowed town of burgeoning big box stores, suburban subdivisions, evangelical pocket churches and car dealerships morphing across the landscape, outward from Anchorage, the state’s urban epicenter. She has lived in Wasilla practically all her life, and even now resides there, the first Alaska executive to eschew the white-pillared mansion in Juneau, down on the Southeast Panhandle.

Let us unite and put the Democrats back in power, everyone deserves a chance including you.

October 11, 2008 10:47 pm at 10:47 pm |
  20. IndianAmerican

First of all, please, please stop referring to our form of government as a democracy. It is a constitutional republic. If truly were a democracy, then most of us would be in shackles digging ditches for the Man. Second, neither Obama or McCain has said anything to persuade me that they will fundamentally change government, control its appetite for misuse and corruption, and limit its intrusion into the lives of Americans and the lives of other citizens of other countries. It's time for real change – real constitutional change limiting the power of elected officials. Who has the guts for that? I daresay that no one does.

October 11, 2008 10:50 pm at 10:50 pm |
  21. Evelyn in Texas

Sen. Obama with his black, brown, & white committee persons will do just find in running this country. Sen. Obama IQ was reported as being 130 and with this much intelligence I have confident in his ability to lead, to listen and make good decisions. If you really want a CHANGE that will help this nation, put Sen. Obama and Sen. Biden in the White House. If you like things the way they are put Sen. John McCain and Gov. Palin in the White House. We all have choices.

October 11, 2008 10:51 pm at 10:51 pm |
  22. Dave Florida for OBAMA

I've never seen a Presidential candidate so desperate for a win that he tried to divide the american people. It won't work this year, talk about the issues John McCain I forgot the McCain campaign does'nt want to talk about the economy.

8 long years we've had to go through a Bus/McCain economy. Tax cuts for billion dollar companies, and his wealthy friends, look where we are today. It's time for a new direction.

October 11, 2008 10:57 pm at 10:57 pm |
  23. Dave Shrugged

Let me ask you to consider something.

Fact; the government pays your social security when you retire.

Fact; the congress wants to take over health care.

Do you think that when your sixty, and suffering cancer, that the government is going to spend money to save your life, just so it can start paying social security to you, when you are no longer contributing tax dollars to the system?

OR will that money go so save the life of a 30 year old, who can pay into the system for another 30 years?

Sounds like a conflict of interest to me.

Think about it folks, please think about it.

In the beginning, social security was supposed to be optional. Try to get out of it now.

In the beginning the seal belt law was only a secondary offense, that they had to pull you over for a another reason, and then they could give you a seat belt ticket. Now they stand of the street corners at rush hour, and point at you, and make you pull over for a seat belt ticket.

Government does not know how to restrain itself. Only the people can restrain it.

You will never live free under big government.

Think about it, folks, please think about it, and be careful what you wish for, you just might get it.

October 11, 2008 11:06 pm at 11:06 pm |
  24. debwilldo

Oh Puh-leeze!!
    The simple fact is that Old Johnny Boy only stopped this race-based hatred that he and that idiot racist pig in pumps were deliberately whipping into a frenzy AFTER the Secret service warned him that he was in danger of inciting violence!
    There's nothing real about this team of less-than-stellar candidates.
    They know it: that's why they are trying to fool us with that same ole' republican brand of smoke and mirrors: hate,fear and lies.
    They hope that if enough people look away from the issues, they may get away with blinding them to the true facts; they have NOTHING to offer but more of the same.

October 11, 2008 11:14 pm at 11:14 pm |
  25. jim

reading all these blogs about McCain and being angry ...well it seems to me that all you Obama fans have the real anger problem .It also seem like the violence that may or could happen may be cuased by you all fueling the fire.

October 11, 2008 11:19 pm at 11:19 pm |