October 11th, 2008

McCain to supporters: 'You’re angry, and I’m angry too'

McCain acknowledged anger on the trail Saturday.
McCain acknowledged anger on the trail Saturday.

DAVENPORT, Iowa (CNN) - After days of headlines over the emotion at his campaign events, John McCain acknowledged at a rally in Davenport, Iowa Saturday that he and his supporters are angry - but insisted the anger wasn't directed at opponent Barack Obama.

After a week of headlines about angry outbursts from the audience at McCain-Palin rallies directed toward Obama, the Republican nominee added some new lines in his stump speech giving a nod to the emotion on the trail.

"My friends, I have traveled all over this great country, and one thing I have heard from Americans at every stop is that they are angry. They’re angry. They’re angry. They’re angry about the mess in Washington and Wall Street. They’re angry about the failure of leadership at this hour of national crisis,” said McCain. “Well you’re angry, and I’m angry too, and when Sarah Palin and I get to the White House we’ll turn Washington upside down.”

But Obama’s record didn’t entirely escape McCain’s wrath. The GOP presidential candidate pointed to a large contribution to Obama’s political campaign from a beneficiary of one of his opponent's earmarks.

“I guess it was sheer coincidence that the chairman of the planetarium pledged to raise more than $200,000 dollars for Senator Obama’s political campaign,” said McCain. “My friends, the appearance of this insider dealing angers Americans. I am going to put a stop to that, my friends, when I am president.”

A protestor brandishing a sign that read “war is over” brought the crowd back to a more familiar kind of anger - but drew a measured response from McCain.

“You know, my friends, there’s a perfect example of some people that just don’t get it," said the Arizona senator. "You know, as people trying to stay in their homes, keep their jobs and afford health care, is what they want is for us to yell at each other ? No. They want us to sit down together, Republican and Democrat, and work together in this terrible time of crisis, the largest financial crisis in our history.”

“And by the way my friends, as you know, I’ve had hundreds of town hall meetings and I always give people a chance to talk. I don’t always enjoy it but I give them a chance to talk and that’s what its all about,” he said to cheers from the crowd. “So if there is anyone else that has a problem, come to the next town hall meeting. I’ll be glad to talk to ya.”

Filed under: John McCain • Popular Posts
  1. Concerned American

ANGRY and erratic McCain, what is new?

He has been in Washington for how long? He just realized after all these years that Washington needs changing! LOL.

God forbid we get another Bush with a dumber deputy a heart beat away!

October 11, 2008 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  2. TROOPERGATE

His anger has nothing to do with Americans anger at the economy. Its that he is losing on the polls as well as his supporters.

October 11, 2008 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  3. BBB

PLEASE stop calling me your friend... I don't want a friend, I want a leader!

October 11, 2008 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  4. jas60

I'm sorry, but while anger and fear these days is understandable from all us ordinary folks, it isn't wnat I want in a leader. We need calm and deliberate, careful thinking these days. Our problems are complex and multi-layered. We can't deal with difficult challenges with hot-headed anger or knee-jerk, simplistic answers. We need someone who asks questions, listens, and gathers together the nation's best minds, and yet who doesn't forget it's all about the Little Folk. In short, we need a grown-up in the White House. That's why I'm voting for Obama.

October 11, 2008 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  5. Kurt

MAH Feeerrrends,

and I do mean Mah, Friends, I am good and honorable man and I am angry and the polls are down and I am angry..

Mah, Feerreinds!!!!!

October 11, 2008 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  6. Steve

Does cnn ever report anything about the Obama campaign ? All I see are stories about McCain and Palin, day after day after day. There is absolutely no balance in their reporting.

October 11, 2008 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  7. Ralph Beavers

Oh Palin how about some out of season Moose Meat?

October 11, 2008 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  8. KJL

"My friends," he says. McCain's friends these days are crowds of semi-literate, narrow-minded racists, and he seems perfectly comfortable with them. Frightening.

October 11, 2008 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  9. Black and White for Obama

Angry about how he became low to everyone ... you can't fool people Mccain. U enjoyed having angry mob around you to call a presidential candidate torrorist. too little too late.

October 11, 2008 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  10. Tim

Team M/P scares the hell out of me. Literally!

October 11, 2008 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  11. A Muslim

Obama, as well as McCain, both talk like they're running for Israeli presidency. It would be FOOLISH of any Muslim wasting their money on either one of them. I won't forget when someone like you said all Muslims should support and give money to BUSH!!! Please don't try to start another game... because most Muslims surely recognize their chief enemies by now.

October 11, 2008 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  12. Rennae B.

Pretty embarrasing that the entire world gets to watch America's racism rear it's ugly head during the McCain/Palin rallies.

IS THIS THE BEAUTY OF A FREE DEMOCRACY THAT WE PROMISE TO IRAQ?

HATE TOWARDS ONE ANOTHER U.S.GOVERNING OFFICIAL!

FEAR OF SOMEONE WHO IS NOT TRADITIONAL BUT OF IMMIGRANT ANCESTRY (he's not one of us)

RACIAL DIVIDE AND CULTURE WAR WILL BE McCAIN'S LAST LEGACY AT THE AGE OF 72

October 11, 2008 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  13. J Williamson

And we're angry at you, McCain, for being the chief Rah-Rah man for the Bush/Cheney crowd. For 26 years in the US Senate, you set the stage for this economic collapse which we're now all stuck with. "De-regulate!" was your mantra. Now ours (Obama supporters) is "change!"

October 11, 2008 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  14. Donkey Party

McCain claims he wants to fight the abuses of power in government. Hmm, I wonder where he should start? He hasn't uttered a peep about the abuse of power that's implicated Palin, his un-vetted choice that he has to be regretting right now. I guess it doesn't count for RepubliCONS.

October 11, 2008 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  15. CM from VA

McIdiot ! You scare me. On top of that you are a liar running a smear campaign. You also seem to consistently be on the wrong side of the issues so thanks but no thanks.
    Obama oh EiGhT!!!

October 11, 2008 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  16. 33/white/female in S.C.

Bear,

You are not smart enough to manipulate other people.

October 11, 2008 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  17. Rob

I'm angry too! I'm angry that I have to continue to hear and see Sarah Palin's nonsense for 4 more weeks. But then it will be all over with and she can go back to Alaska and do whatever it is she does there. Look at Putin in the sky and shoo Russians from her porch or somesuch. Good riddance!

October 11, 2008 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  18. barbara

Someone should investigate the "angry speakers" at McCain's
    rally. they were probably "plants" to provide McCain with
    a better image.

It had all the appearances of desperate measures.>

October 11, 2008 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  19. Sherry for Obama

Well mcCain its your party that put us in the position we are in.
    So suck it up and realize that what America needs is a change ...and that change is for Obama to be president....not you and the failed polices of the Bush administration...

Realize and accept that

October 11, 2008 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  20. Joel Miller

McCain knows right from wrong but he's getting pulled to the right and has accepted a lot of sleazy advice regarding his campaign's attack strategy. Its sad to watch him go down in flames but at least we American's know that he has trouble filtering out bad advice before we might make the mistake of electing him.

October 11, 2008 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  21. jmh

Watch all the blacks start crying racial, racial. This is all they can do.When they don't get their way they go nuts. Osama hopes so, this is what he tried to do in Kenya

October 11, 2008 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  22. Jane

@bear, why do u call on the muslims to aid Obama like he has some kind of affiliation with you. Help him as a fellow citizen who wants change, not on the basis of religion. Afterall he is not a muslim!!!
    Obama/biden 08

October 11, 2008 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  23. Dealt

The gotcha and the ya... are they contagious? Suddenly every public Republican seems to have acquired a folksy accent where previously there was none...

Is that their idea of subtle psychology? :)

October 11, 2008 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  24. A Minnesotan

Oh get off of it McPalin:

Go tell your ProLifers to stop threatening Obama's life & go practice their Christianity for a change.

October 11, 2008 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  25. jean

Actually, I think this was all thought thru very well. Create an atmosphere of hatred – John McCain rides in as the "White Knight". What would happen if this kind of tactic would be used by the President of the United States? What would be created so we could see the ride again? Very scary.

October 11, 2008 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |