October 11th, 2008

McCain to supporters: 'You’re angry, and I’m angry too'

McCain acknowledged anger on the trail Saturday.
McCain acknowledged anger on the trail Saturday.

DAVENPORT, Iowa (CNN) - After days of headlines over the emotion at his campaign events, John McCain acknowledged at a rally in Davenport, Iowa Saturday that he and his supporters are angry - but insisted the anger wasn't directed at opponent Barack Obama.

After a week of headlines about angry outbursts from the audience at McCain-Palin rallies directed toward Obama, the Republican nominee added some new lines in his stump speech giving a nod to the emotion on the trail.

"My friends, I have traveled all over this great country, and one thing I have heard from Americans at every stop is that they are angry. They’re angry. They’re angry. They’re angry about the mess in Washington and Wall Street. They’re angry about the failure of leadership at this hour of national crisis,” said McCain. “Well you’re angry, and I’m angry too, and when Sarah Palin and I get to the White House we’ll turn Washington upside down.”

But Obama’s record didn’t entirely escape McCain’s wrath. The GOP presidential candidate pointed to a large contribution to Obama’s political campaign from a beneficiary of one of his opponent's earmarks.

“I guess it was sheer coincidence that the chairman of the planetarium pledged to raise more than $200,000 dollars for Senator Obama’s political campaign,” said McCain. “My friends, the appearance of this insider dealing angers Americans. I am going to put a stop to that, my friends, when I am president.”

A protestor brandishing a sign that read “war is over” brought the crowd back to a more familiar kind of anger - but drew a measured response from McCain.

“You know, my friends, there’s a perfect example of some people that just don’t get it," said the Arizona senator. "You know, as people trying to stay in their homes, keep their jobs and afford health care, is what they want is for us to yell at each other ? No. They want us to sit down together, Republican and Democrat, and work together in this terrible time of crisis, the largest financial crisis in our history.”

“And by the way my friends, as you know, I’ve had hundreds of town hall meetings and I always give people a chance to talk. I don’t always enjoy it but I give them a chance to talk and that’s what its all about,” he said to cheers from the crowd. “So if there is anyone else that has a problem, come to the next town hall meeting. I’ll be glad to talk to ya.”

Filed under: John McCain • Popular Posts
  1. gpm

McCain is angry because he is losing to an articulate, calm , younger senator who is making him look eratic, cranky and old.

October 11, 2008 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  2. Steve

McCain – YOU ARE THE LEADERSHIP.

My God help us!

October 11, 2008 06:29 pm at 6:29 pm |
  3. Amy For Obama

Ahhh...I hate to break it to you dear senator McCain, but you are not going to walk in the Whte House as president!

You are too disconnected from the real life and the new economy to lead us in these modern times!

It was a nice campaign though...well before it sunk in the depth of smears.

America strongly endorses Obama.

October 11, 2008 06:30 pm at 6:30 pm |
  4. Barbara Willis

i'm going to park the trolley in the toilet

October 11, 2008 06:31 pm at 6:31 pm |
  5. max

wasn't it just a few months when Obama stated that Americans where bitter over Bush co's failed policies???

bitter=angry

come up with something original there mccstain

October 11, 2008 06:31 pm at 6:31 pm |
  6. Marylou

CHANGE..exactly..Change of Ideals...change of "conservatism" to "leadership"...back to the "good old days" of caring about each other, and respecting our differences, and CHANGE to a HOPEFUL AMERICA, instead of one that lives in fear.

October 11, 2008 06:31 pm at 6:31 pm |
  7. fed up

Hey Bear – John McCain's name is John – let's see – oh yea that guy John who murdered and ate small children! OH MY GOD – John McCain's name is JOHN – OH MY GOD he must eat small children.
    DO YOU SEE HOW STUPID you are?
    Your leader John McCain made it very clear last night that Obama is NOT muslim. Go back to the hole you crawled out of.

October 11, 2008 06:31 pm at 6:31 pm |
  8. Finch

McCain , you said in the second debate, that you know where BinLaden is hiding and know how to get him.
    If you know, why the F$%% arent you telling the CIA, FBI and the Army about it.
    You LIAR.

October 11, 2008 06:31 pm at 6:31 pm |
  9. Kevin, Evansville IN

Anger and fear seem to be the cornerstone of the Republican party nowadays.

October 11, 2008 06:32 pm at 6:32 pm |
  10. Peter (CA)

We're all pretty angry Senator. We're angry that this country is teetering on the edge of bankruptcy while the rich get bailouts and then take a spa weekend at taxpayer expense.

You right wingers just don't get it. The Republicans have been lying to you forever, telling you that they care about you and your problems. They only "care" at election time.

Make the change!!

October 11, 2008 06:32 pm at 6:32 pm |
  11. Jack

All you dimwit Obla-bla supporters will, probably have four years to vent your anger at Barry O when his presidency makes George Bush look like the best president ever!
    It's not too late, though. Stop and compare the issues and the men. While McCain is a statesman, standing up for what is right, even when something is unpopular, Obama is just another politician who will do and say whatever is takes to become elected.
    I, by the way, am an undecided voter, at this point.

October 11, 2008 06:32 pm at 6:32 pm |
  12. Lavar

Hey McSame!...How about that earmark for those bears in Montana you keep harping on but which YOU voted for??!! Or how about the earmark you took for the Rehnquist library in your home state of Arizona!!???....Or how about the $$300 million your buddy Lindsey Graham took home to South Carolina!!??....Hypocrite!!!

October 11, 2008 06:33 pm at 6:33 pm |
  13. Hati

Sarah Palin, please be honest about your personal convictions as a Christian woman- your speeches are intended to incite fear, doubt, and hate towards Barrack Obama and that is NOT right. The McCain/Palin ticket is simply pitiful at this point. Previously I had thought so much more of McCain, but knowing what I know now, I say Obama 08-16 and Biden 16-24!!!

WASP (Women Against Sarah Palin)

October 11, 2008 06:33 pm at 6:33 pm |
  14. Francheska Georgia

I am mad too!! Mad that McCain/Palin are still campaigning!! ;-)

October 11, 2008 06:33 pm at 6:33 pm |
  15. Laura S

Hey every one I am so excited I have 4 free tickets to the one and only Robbie Knievel event. Robbie is going to attempt a new record................ Robbie is going to go for a record jump over 5000 Obama supporters using a bull-dozer. Don't miss this one. He claims he will not give up till he breaks the record.

October 11, 2008 06:33 pm at 6:33 pm |
  16. MCKEATING5 AND MISS ALASKAN ANAL SPHINCTER ‘08 HAVE NOW BOTH BEEN CONVICTED OF ETHICS VIOLATIONS. NOW, I AM AS THRIFTY AS THE NEXT PERSON, BUT DO WE REALLY WANT TO BUY THIS 2 FOR 1 PACKAGE?

Who knew the next next Master Wizard of the Klan would arise from Arizona?

McKeating5 is making David Duke look like a beginner.

October 11, 2008 06:33 pm at 6:33 pm |
  17. Unshrub

I am angry too. I am angry in how McCain has disgraced this election with his lies and negative ads. I am angry at Palin for all her lies and the hatred she directs towards Obama. I am angry at McCain for ducking the issues and claiming it is Obama who wants to duck the issues. I am angry at those who holler "kill, kill, kill" towards Obama.

October 11, 2008 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |
  18. Jeannei for Mccain

NO get this straight dem party are no angels either. And Barack has never stuck his neck out for anything ., He played it safe in his short time in senate he has done nothing. Mccain has !

October 11, 2008 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |
  19. Rodger

McCain, you needed to come up with plans for our economy, since you don't have one that makes sense or help. Instead all you can do is send out your Pitbull to lie ans create hate. Tell Rove to come up with a new plan...it wont work this time!!!

October 11, 2008 06:35 pm at 6:35 pm |
  20. Phil

" The Dancing Bear"

The is another saying similar to the "lipsticked pig" This one says"

"That if you teach a bear to dance" you should be ready to dance until she/he is finished ! "

The McCain/Palin Dancing Bear (named Hatred and Zenophobia) is not finished!

God Bless America!

October 11, 2008 06:36 pm at 6:36 pm |
  21. louis

MC can you just say goodbey.America is leadind the world , can' t wrong another time

October 11, 2008 06:36 pm at 6:36 pm |
  22. Former McCain Admirer

McCain needs to call of his attack dog before she tears this country apart. He has served his country well, but people remember you for the last thing you did. This will be his legacy.

October 11, 2008 06:36 pm at 6:36 pm |
  23. Francheska Georgia

McCain wants to fight the abuses in Washington?! ;-)...WOW!! That's rich, because his running mate was abusing her powers in Alaska!! Is he going to fight her and run her off his campaign?! ;-)

October 11, 2008 06:36 pm at 6:36 pm |
  24. bk

The reason you never see anything bad about Obama on CNN is because they are for Obama. You can't even believe their 'fact checks.' Go to Fox for fair and balanced. CNN will not even let you post anything negative about Obama.

October 11, 2008 06:37 pm at 6:37 pm |
  25. Amy

John McCain acknowledged at a rally in Davenport, Iowa Saturday that he and his supporters are angry — but insisted the anger wasn't directed at opponent Barack Obama.

Sen McCain,

The statement of yours that is listed above is pure hypocrisy. You know that much of it is directed at Sen Obama with the comments that have been heard at your rallies. For Goodness' sake, yesterday they booed YOU when you defended his character!

I'm angry too. Angry that you haven't lived up to your promise to run an honorable campaign. Did you flush your honor down the toilet when you chose Gov Palin as your running mate? Is that her contribution to your campaign?

October 11, 2008 06:44 pm at 6:44 pm |