October 11th, 2008

McCain to supporters: 'You’re angry, and I’m angry too'

McCain acknowledged anger on the trail Saturday.
McCain acknowledged anger on the trail Saturday.

DAVENPORT, Iowa (CNN) - After days of headlines over the emotion at his campaign events, John McCain acknowledged at a rally in Davenport, Iowa Saturday that he and his supporters are angry - but insisted the anger wasn't directed at opponent Barack Obama.

After a week of headlines about angry outbursts from the audience at McCain-Palin rallies directed toward Obama, the Republican nominee added some new lines in his stump speech giving a nod to the emotion on the trail.

"My friends, I have traveled all over this great country, and one thing I have heard from Americans at every stop is that they are angry. They’re angry. They’re angry. They’re angry about the mess in Washington and Wall Street. They’re angry about the failure of leadership at this hour of national crisis,” said McCain. “Well you’re angry, and I’m angry too, and when Sarah Palin and I get to the White House we’ll turn Washington upside down.”

But Obama’s record didn’t entirely escape McCain’s wrath. The GOP presidential candidate pointed to a large contribution to Obama’s political campaign from a beneficiary of one of his opponent's earmarks.

“I guess it was sheer coincidence that the chairman of the planetarium pledged to raise more than $200,000 dollars for Senator Obama’s political campaign,” said McCain. “My friends, the appearance of this insider dealing angers Americans. I am going to put a stop to that, my friends, when I am president.”

A protestor brandishing a sign that read “war is over” brought the crowd back to a more familiar kind of anger - but drew a measured response from McCain.

“You know, my friends, there’s a perfect example of some people that just don’t get it," said the Arizona senator. "You know, as people trying to stay in their homes, keep their jobs and afford health care, is what they want is for us to yell at each other ? No. They want us to sit down together, Republican and Democrat, and work together in this terrible time of crisis, the largest financial crisis in our history.”

“And by the way my friends, as you know, I’ve had hundreds of town hall meetings and I always give people a chance to talk. I don’t always enjoy it but I give them a chance to talk and that’s what its all about,” he said to cheers from the crowd. “So if there is anyone else that has a problem, come to the next town hall meeting. I’ll be glad to talk to ya.”

Filed under: John McCain • Popular Posts
  1. Vic

Early voting is the way to go.

Registered Republican "voted" Obama/Biden 08

October 11, 2008 06:44 pm at 6:44 pm |
  2. Raymond

We will be so happy when you head to your retirement home with your depends...and take knuclehead Palin with you for your nurse.

October 11, 2008 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |
  3. WE ARE ONE!

What McCain should be really so for is inciting rasicm during a time when we need leadership... Palin was inciting the crowds. Today Palin is not mentioning Ayers but only sticking to the issues.... It wasn't until Friday when the report was coming out about Palin, that McCain decided to quiet down the crowds because McCain didn't want the Democratic Party going after Palin and her abuse of power in firing an innocent man. The Republican party wanted the report about Palin not to be an issue and if it became an issue, they would say "SEE MCcain denounce the racist remarks about Obama. I wonder if the report had come out positive about Palin would McCain have denounce the negavity because he didn't denounce it earlier it the week? Listen my fellow Americans, the Republican party is the most crafted deceiving party who is skilled at to switching things in their favor.. BEWARE OF WOLVES IN SHEEP CLOTHING… McCain / Palin wear their coats very well but we are onto the McCain tactics. Obama should definitely NOT apologize for Lewis because Lewis is right. McCain and Palin incited racism and brought back the 60's of the south. McCain/Palin put Obama's life even more in danger and showed no remorse. My fellow American's let's show them we can come together as one.

October 11, 2008 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |
  4. WOULD YOU RATHER A PRESIDENT THAT INSPIRES MILLIONS TO JOIN TOGETHER AND ACHIEVE GREATER HEIGHTS FOR AMERICA, OR ONE SMALL MAN THAT IS CYNCIAL AND BITTER AND INSPIRED TO ONLY DERIDE ONE MAN’S CHARACTER?

The simpleton has been found guilty of abuse of power by a past state attorney general and the findings have been accepted unanimously by a bi-partisan committee of 10 Reptilians and 4 Democrats, so I am guessing she will now go all "mavericky" and try and use this as a reason to step down.

She does so with much political peril, to both her career and the credibility of the Reptilian Party.

Step down and you admit the vetting was incomplete since the reptiles have publicly and emphatically stated they knew about this issue when what’s her face was selected. Mr. MaGoo will look even more ERRATIC and hot headed with his decision making.

Stay and the whole "you cannot TRUST the domestic terrorist" and integrity arguments are off the table, Guess the half-wit will have to dazzle us with her intelligence...

Game over!!

Better luck in 2012 after 4 years of intensive training on how to effectively poot moose flatulence!

October 11, 2008 06:46 pm at 6:46 pm |
  5. T'SAH from Virginia

mcSAME – YOU DON'T "GET IT"!!!! You don't GET enough naps each day that is required for a man your age!!! YOU don't GET IT when regular people are getting their WATER cut off because they can't pay the bill!!! YOU don't GET up every morning and have to worry about how you're going to get to work because of the gas prices. YOU don't GET threats from bill collectors EVERY day to the point where you don't answer the phone.

BUT you DO GET a chance to decide whether or not you should buy another HOME or CAR. YOU do GET up every morning with a smile on your face because even though the "little people" are suffering YOU will never experience it.

SO, GET THIS!!! You're NOT going to GET is this election because we had enough of the "SAME" and it is time for a "CHANGE!!!!!

OBADEN 2008-2016 – YES WE "GET IT"!!!

October 11, 2008 06:47 pm at 6:47 pm |
  6. Kevin

McCain's just jealous at Obama.

October 11, 2008 06:47 pm at 6:47 pm |
  7. That One

The people at your rallies aren't the only ones angry, Senator McCain. I am angry and deeply saddened that at this point in our history, we are still having to deal with racist, xenophobic responses to American citizens, and politicians who cynically play on that type of stupidity.

Obama '08

October 11, 2008 06:47 pm at 6:47 pm |
  8. beverly sims

John Lewis is correct, McCain and Palin's campaign rhetoric in the last few days reminds one of long years past when racist officials stocked the fires of the public, resulting in violence, lynchings, and such of their targets. I understand Obama's response to Lewis. It's best at this time to allow this tone to die or settle, if it will. Be aware
    however, this is today, not yesteryear, and there is little tolerance or fear of dealing with such behavior if it became necessary . Hopefully intelligence and right behavior will prevail. The jeannie is already out of the bottle and I suspect there's little McCain can do to force it back. He should inform Palin that here in the lower states we don't appreciate such tactics. Perhaps she has not read American history as it regards jim-crow and civil rights period in this country.
    I fear there is a possibility that McCain ,as with many other matters , is out of touch as well. He scares me.

October 11, 2008 06:48 pm at 6:48 pm |
  9. robert

Mccain want Obama to repudiate comments made by John Lewis ,he should be repudiating those made by Sara Palin and those smear ads that he and his campaign is running against Obama.
    As a leader Mccain should be careful of what he and his campaign said to supporters on the stump and repudiate those supporters who shout out these comments " kill him, he is not one of us, terrorist, treason, they are fearful of Obama , and the latest one that Obam is an Arab" those comment should be repudiate immediately. I do agree with John Lewis and I support his comment . Time for John Mccain and his campaign to clean up their acts. Let's talk about the issues and how to make our lives as Americans better. STOP THE SMEAR AND FEAR .

October 11, 2008 06:48 pm at 6:48 pm |
  10. Tom

Real talk, I think you are angry at Obama so who you are kidding you are just ashame to say it out loud. And I think this is just incourageing the bahaviour from your supporters we have been seeing for the past week.

October 11, 2008 06:48 pm at 6:48 pm |
  11. Paul Thompson

It isn't funny to call McCain the 'Klan'

What if there were those who called Obomba the 'Black Panther'?
    There'd be rage!!!!

October 11, 2008 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |
  12. Republican for Obama - TX

Everyone has the option to support their choice. My choice is Obama. And yes, I don't believe in abortion, I am a christian, and yes I am voting for Obama. The ONLY person in this election who is talking about issues that are important to me.

October 11, 2008 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |
  13. Brandon

I just think it's funny that some Republicans are "angry" that Americans(Democrats, Independents and other Republicans) have spoken. The Republican way of doing things doesn't work. They have had the Whitehouse and Congress for 6 years and this is where they got us. Sure, the Democrats in Congress for 2 years after those 6 didn't/couldn't really do anything which contributed to this mess but those 2 years pale in significance to the prior 6. So now some Republicans are "angry" at the rest of us for saying that we don't want to try your way for the next few years? Laughable. It's the same middle school mentality that has ruled the Republican Foreign mantra of "if we don't like you we aren't going to talk to you".

It's time for something different. It may not work, sure, but at least we gave it a shot. Especially when we have a recent 6 year block of Republican rule and know what that does for us.

October 11, 2008 06:51 pm at 6:51 pm |
  14. Get Off My Lawn

If McCain's mad, it's his own fault for running the most hate-filled campaign in US history (except maybe George Wallace, Jesse Helms or Thurgood Marshall – all heros of Palin).

October 11, 2008 06:54 pm at 6:54 pm |
  15. That One

Really, did Palin really say this?

“In times like these with wars and financial crisis, I know that it may be easy to forget even as deep and abiding a concern as the right to life...."

We just bombed the hell out of people, tortured prisoners and allowed the murder of civilians, including children. What about their right to life?

Rendell is right. The McCain campaign is stunningly stupid.

October 11, 2008 06:54 pm at 6:54 pm |
  16. PJ from Virginia

I don't think there would have been a better word to describe McShame's behavior than "ERRATIC". Today he says he can't debate until a resolution is gotten at washington vis-a-vis the financial crisis, and the next day he's debating without resolutions. Today he says Obama is a terrorist, and the next day he says he's a decent family man. I am scared of you Sen. John McShame. And the worst of it all is that he is a BAD LIAR. You cannot fool Americans. We can always verify the facts. Too bad for you. Now you put the "hockey mum" in your mess; she may never ever win a ticket for the white house again.
    Please McShame, take a look once more at the polls, admit defeat and let us concentrate on our economic issues.

October 11, 2008 06:55 pm at 6:55 pm |
  17. God Help Us

This is getting real scary.

I am starting to grow concern for the well-being of Obama. his family and his two daughters. America, can we please recognize what we are becoming before it's too late.

October 11, 2008 06:56 pm at 6:56 pm |
  18. Scott, MS

Jeannei Yes McCain has done things such as lie everytime he opens his mouth and has changed everything he once believed in over the last eight years to get elected. He also picked a running mate believe it or not dumber than Bush.

October 11, 2008 06:56 pm at 6:56 pm |
  19. Jeff Brown

Angry at who John? Are you angry at the failed President George W. Bush? Why not say so and break away from his aroma? Pretty soon, some simpleton, right wing nut is going to distort Sarah's hate message and open fire on a black, a Muslim or a Democratic rally; mark my words!

October 11, 2008 06:57 pm at 6:57 pm |
  20. Carolyn

McCain is not fit to responsibly lead our nation.

October 11, 2008 06:57 pm at 6:57 pm |
  21. j

I agree with Lewis, McCain & Palin are sowing the seeds of division and bigotry at a time when this country needs unity. The McCain/Palin campaign has gone into the gutter. So I don't really care that McCain is angry. He's the one with the horrible campaign, he's the one sowing division and hatred. If anyone gets hurt because of this, it's going to be on McCain's head and I think he knows better so he should be doubly ashamed.

October 11, 2008 07:25 pm at 7:25 pm |
  22. surprised???????

where is your flag lapel pin? you low life, traitor, hypocrite, misogynist pitiful old warmonger.............

your ambition above all.....to be president at any cost, your own words....

tomorrow at the nascar race cindy and sarah will be doing a WET T SHIRT show.....wilted ones hehehe

October 11, 2008 07:25 pm at 7:25 pm |
  23. Tiff of lithia springs

Mr. Paul Thompson,

they have already called his wife that!!!!!!

October 11, 2008 07:25 pm at 7:25 pm |
  24. Jay

Sarah Palin was just booed at they Flyers game.

October 11, 2008 07:28 pm at 7:28 pm |
  25. Bushwhacked in Eugene, OR

Paul Thompson, the difference is that McCain is acting like the Klan - Obama's not acting like a black panther.

October 11, 2008 07:28 pm at 7:28 pm |