October 11th, 2008

McCain to supporters: 'You’re angry, and I’m angry too'

McCain acknowledged anger on the trail Saturday.
McCain acknowledged anger on the trail Saturday.

DAVENPORT, Iowa (CNN) - After days of headlines over the emotion at his campaign events, John McCain acknowledged at a rally in Davenport, Iowa Saturday that he and his supporters are angry - but insisted the anger wasn't directed at opponent Barack Obama.

After a week of headlines about angry outbursts from the audience at McCain-Palin rallies directed toward Obama, the Republican nominee added some new lines in his stump speech giving a nod to the emotion on the trail.

"My friends, I have traveled all over this great country, and one thing I have heard from Americans at every stop is that they are angry. They’re angry. They’re angry. They’re angry about the mess in Washington and Wall Street. They’re angry about the failure of leadership at this hour of national crisis,” said McCain. “Well you’re angry, and I’m angry too, and when Sarah Palin and I get to the White House we’ll turn Washington upside down.”

But Obama’s record didn’t entirely escape McCain’s wrath. The GOP presidential candidate pointed to a large contribution to Obama’s political campaign from a beneficiary of one of his opponent's earmarks.

“I guess it was sheer coincidence that the chairman of the planetarium pledged to raise more than $200,000 dollars for Senator Obama’s political campaign,” said McCain. “My friends, the appearance of this insider dealing angers Americans. I am going to put a stop to that, my friends, when I am president.”

A protestor brandishing a sign that read “war is over” brought the crowd back to a more familiar kind of anger - but drew a measured response from McCain.

“You know, my friends, there’s a perfect example of some people that just don’t get it," said the Arizona senator. "You know, as people trying to stay in their homes, keep their jobs and afford health care, is what they want is for us to yell at each other ? No. They want us to sit down together, Republican and Democrat, and work together in this terrible time of crisis, the largest financial crisis in our history.”

“And by the way my friends, as you know, I’ve had hundreds of town hall meetings and I always give people a chance to talk. I don’t always enjoy it but I give them a chance to talk and that’s what its all about,” he said to cheers from the crowd. “So if there is anyone else that has a problem, come to the next town hall meeting. I’ll be glad to talk to ya.”

Filed under: John McCain • Popular Posts
  1. Tom H

And tomorrow McCain will be angry his soup is not hot enough.

October 11, 2008 07:29 pm at 7:29 pm |
  2. Rich

It is regretable that many of the people supporting McCain are doing so not because he may be the best candidate, but because they do not want a non-white as President of the United States. It seems that it is more important to maintain a racially pure "White" house than to have the best man for the job as president. Do we want an America that practices what it preaches or an America that wants every other nation to do the right thing, but not us?

October 11, 2008 07:29 pm at 7:29 pm |
  3. PUMBU

FROM ABC NEWS: WHERE IS THIS GUY McCAIN TAKING THIS COUNTRY? DOES HE REALLY CARE ABOUT THE SAFETY OF OTHER PEOPLE? HE JUST WANTS TO BE A PRESIDENT, EVEN IF IT MEANS DIVIDING PEOPLE AND IF POSSIBLE GET SOMEONE KILLED. THIS IS NOT LEADERSHIP, THIS IS DUMB, WAKE UP PEOPLE!!!!

At a McCain event, as the crowd waited for McCain himself to arrive, Pastor Arnold Conrad of the Grace Evangelical Free Church of Davenport, Iowa, gave an invocation that included the following: "I would also pray, Lord, that your reputation is involved in all that happens between now and November, because there are millions of people around this world praying to their god—whether it's Hindu, Buddha, Allah—that his opponent wins, for a variety of reasons. And Lord, I pray that you will guard your own reputation, because they’re going to think that their God is bigger than you, if that happens. So I pray that you will step forward and honor your own name with all that happens between now and Election Day."

October 11, 2008 07:29 pm at 7:29 pm |
  4. Brian NYC

I mean at least he's trying. I'm more humble that he is trying to tone things down with the riot crowds he has been building for the past week.

October 11, 2008 07:29 pm at 7:29 pm |
  5. Bob in Fl

All those gosh darn kids on his lawn.

October 11, 2008 07:29 pm at 7:29 pm |
  6. BTHogan

Well, at least he's not encouraging them.

October 11, 2008 07:30 pm at 7:30 pm |
  7. Erik

I'm angry too, at the creepy old gnome McCain has become.

October 11, 2008 07:30 pm at 7:30 pm |
  8. Lenora Virginia

I love CNN.
    I am an independent voter. Mr. Dobbs, I am not sure if you are a paid advocate of the Republican National Convention. I am appalled at your tone and you absolutely are not part of the independent party. Your ACORN story is bias and so is many of the things you say, sadly you appear to be a racist and a disgrace to the wonderful CNN network. This is sad and you bring CNN down with your negativity and spitefullness.

October 11, 2008 07:31 pm at 7:31 pm |
  9. Ricardo

Don't worry, be happy, take a DONUT and chance will come....I promise you!

October 11, 2008 07:34 pm at 7:34 pm |
  10. buck

Not a hockey fan but I watched the puck drop at the flyers game. It was hilarious. They had to crank the music up to drowned out the boo's Palin was getting. The people behind her giving thumbs down will be instant stars on you-tube. Go Obama,
    Redneck from Wyoming

October 11, 2008 07:34 pm at 7:34 pm |
  11. cecil

Sen. McCain's Campaign Is A Mess!

October 11, 2008 07:34 pm at 7:34 pm |
  12. Hal, Redondo Beach, CA

I voted for McCain in 2000 and I was angry then!!!

NOW he's angry???

Why wasn't he angry when Bush said he had an illegitimate black baby in 2000??.

Why wasn't he outraged when T. Boone Pickens (traitor) and his Swiftboat Cowards lied about John Kerry.

Why did he stay with these same right-wing cowards and nut job false christians that have become the heart of the GOP

McCain is NOT a man of character any longer he has aligned himself with the very worst that America has to offer people like Sarah Palin. This is what happens when you comprimise with the devil.

October 11, 2008 07:37 pm at 7:37 pm |
  13. Margerie, FL

John not only deserves to lose, but he needs to have his head examined for picking Sarah Palin. Anyone who thinks she could lead this great country is a fool. John needs to lose this election and any future election for attempting to put this country in jeopardy.

I will be voting for Barack this year, and in 2012. I will vote the Democratic ticket any and every time the GOP does something stupid.

Obama/Biden will get my vote.

October 11, 2008 07:37 pm at 7:37 pm |
  14. Gail

Obama, DO NOT REPUDIATE anything. I am SHOCKED at how LOW Down McCain has become. I wrongly thought he was a man of character incapable of hurling the many HATE bites we have seen and heard coming from his mouth. I have come to believe REPUBLICANS ARE HATE MONGERS. American's are better than that.

October 11, 2008 07:37 pm at 7:37 pm |
  15. Lary Johnson-Tampa,FL

John McCain, Sarah Palin, and Fox News caused these hate crowds to respond the way they have. Now he (John McCain) is shocked when Higher- ups (His Friends) are calling him out. However, not everyone in those crowds represent hate. Some of those people are frustrated at the status quo, but don’t want to ask for change. Others just want to support John McCain.

However, I disagree with Congress man Lewis. John McCain was not opening the doors to reflect 1960, he was about to do something worst. I am glad someone called him out, because Obama can’t. We have to have Obama’s back people. The verdict must be cast at a local polling places Early but no later than 11/4/2008. We have to defeat the evil Republican (DO NOTHING) Party.

John McCain should stop it before it gets really ugly. He needs to pull these negative ads down attacking Obama’s character. Stick the issues, not the other man’s charter.

October 11, 2008 07:37 pm at 7:37 pm |
  16. JoeNovell

Barry Obama – has already 'promised' to cancel the Bush tax cuts (which means EVERYONE'S taxes will then go up!) and , follow up with … tax increases for everyone above $250,000 which hurts just about all of the available employers!

Someone else will have to pay it. My job has gone away. How about yours?

This is not the time for a rookie to TWEAK the economy.

October 11, 2008 07:38 pm at 7:38 pm |
  17. linda

It was noticeable to me that when the woman at McCain's rally in Minnesota called Obama an Arab, he explained to her that Obama was "a decent, family man," but did not say "No mam', he is an AMERICAN." Why is that? I heard "decent man", "good citizen" but not the word "American." Is it because during all these rallies McCain/Palin have been touting that THEY are THE AMERICANS and insinuating Obama is something else or saying they don't know who he is? Clearly, they must've realized at that point in these rallies that their retoric was starting to encite anger against the "outsider". They were preaching FEAR and painting Obama as some kind of foreigner and this is the result. STUPID IS AS STUPID DOES.

October 11, 2008 07:38 pm at 7:38 pm |
  18. Allan

Palin is a hate monger.
    McCain has sold his integrity.
    The right-wing nuts (in the crowd) are the Taliban of America, of which unfortunately there are many.

If Eyers is such a terrorist why doesn't someone arrest him? Why is he walking around free and teaching at a prestigious University?BECAUSE HE ISN'T! Stop the hate speak and fear mongering!!!

Obama is not a Muslim, but so what if he was. I’m appalled at the ignorance and bigotry among the American people. It is a stain on the character of a great nation.

Vote Obama/Biden '08.

They will heal the nation and the world with their inclusive, enlightened and humanitarian approach to all aspects of government, both domestic and foreign.

American's have been fed a diet of ignorance and hate. Despite what many believe, our relationship and standing in the World is in fact absolutely critical for a prosperous and safe America. The damage done by Bush/Cheney is severe, but electing Obama/Biden will go a long way to repairing it and moving us all collectively to a better future.

October 11, 2008 07:38 pm at 7:38 pm |
  19. Hal, Redondo Beach, CA

McCain forgot to mention that this entire mess is the result of HIS PRESIDENT AND HIS POLICIES.

So tell me Johnny Boy who should they be angry with???

October 11, 2008 07:39 pm at 7:39 pm |
  20. Franky

I don't know why they are upset. Wasn't it not that long ago Senator McCain was up like a point or something? Talk about sore losers...

And first of all, it ain't their fault!! If it wasn't for this financial crisis, my boy would just barely be up by at least a field goal or something but the fact that he's changing the map, is gonna tell other signs. For crying out loud, he's up in West Virginia!! West Virginia for crying out loud!! Even I find it hard to understand! My boy just has to run the clock and play it smart, not desperate.

Just as long the economy is talked about, it'll be fine. Gotta be smart...

October 11, 2008 07:39 pm at 7:39 pm |
  21. Eyes-open

If we tune out the madness, it will not be important anymore. We must not lend ears to Mcain/Palin rhetoric lest we ligitamize their words. Remember, they are playing to their base. When they check the polls and realize the swing votes are being swung towards their opponents, they will see the folly of these tactics, but the follies of their ways will never change. So let us ignore them and make them even more angry, say nothing more about them and make them even more helpless. Let us try this, it will work.

October 11, 2008 07:39 pm at 7:39 pm |
  22. Digest That!

Can you believe that I wore a McCain/Palin pin last evening to a pub and a "Radical Democrat" snatched (tore) it from my shirt and said " I can't digest that duo," sooo, I dropped the pin in her drink and said "well digest that!"

With you Liberal Democrats, there is no insight or depth, you are pure idiots, when I asked her "why are you voting for Obama," her answer: "he is creative."

Gee, give me a break!

October 11, 2008 07:40 pm at 7:40 pm |
  23. Dwayne

This electoral race has truly become scary. McCain / Palin have gone way over the top spreading Fear Uncertainty and Doubt (FUD). They are doing nothing less than inciting a riot, thru Lies and Bigotry. The American people need to come to their senses before violence breaks out. The best thing the McCain could do right now is deliver a public apology to the American people and to Sen. Obama.

October 11, 2008 07:40 pm at 7:40 pm |
  24. John Is A Fool

What will John and his mob do next–burn down black neighborhoods? I was waiting for the white sheets. They're a joke.

I didn't like Reagan, but did I cry and stomp my feet and say I was scared and look all fearful. No. Why? Because in the end we survived. Barack is from another party, not another country. Wake up America and stop acting like babies.

October 11, 2008 07:40 pm at 7:40 pm |
  25. bill

Sarah Palin is sounding more and more like the 1920's in a white robe late at night with a cross burning in the background.

October 11, 2008 07:40 pm at 7:40 pm |