October 11th, 2008

McCain to supporters: 'You’re angry, and I’m angry too'

McCain acknowledged anger on the trail Saturday.
McCain acknowledged anger on the trail Saturday.

DAVENPORT, Iowa (CNN) - After days of headlines over the emotion at his campaign events, John McCain acknowledged at a rally in Davenport, Iowa Saturday that he and his supporters are angry - but insisted the anger wasn't directed at opponent Barack Obama.

After a week of headlines about angry outbursts from the audience at McCain-Palin rallies directed toward Obama, the Republican nominee added some new lines in his stump speech giving a nod to the emotion on the trail.

"My friends, I have traveled all over this great country, and one thing I have heard from Americans at every stop is that they are angry. They’re angry. They’re angry. They’re angry about the mess in Washington and Wall Street. They’re angry about the failure of leadership at this hour of national crisis,” said McCain. “Well you’re angry, and I’m angry too, and when Sarah Palin and I get to the White House we’ll turn Washington upside down.”

But Obama’s record didn’t entirely escape McCain’s wrath. The GOP presidential candidate pointed to a large contribution to Obama’s political campaign from a beneficiary of one of his opponent's earmarks.

“I guess it was sheer coincidence that the chairman of the planetarium pledged to raise more than $200,000 dollars for Senator Obama’s political campaign,” said McCain. “My friends, the appearance of this insider dealing angers Americans. I am going to put a stop to that, my friends, when I am president.”

A protestor brandishing a sign that read “war is over” brought the crowd back to a more familiar kind of anger - but drew a measured response from McCain.

“You know, my friends, there’s a perfect example of some people that just don’t get it," said the Arizona senator. "You know, as people trying to stay in their homes, keep their jobs and afford health care, is what they want is for us to yell at each other ? No. They want us to sit down together, Republican and Democrat, and work together in this terrible time of crisis, the largest financial crisis in our history.”

“And by the way my friends, as you know, I’ve had hundreds of town hall meetings and I always give people a chance to talk. I don’t always enjoy it but I give them a chance to talk and that’s what its all about,” he said to cheers from the crowd. “So if there is anyone else that has a problem, come to the next town hall meeting. I’ll be glad to talk to ya.”

Filed under: John McCain • Popular Posts
  1. john l.a.

23 days, 3 hours from now, the polls will have closed in the lower 48
    states, Alaska & Hawaii voters would still be voting, but some way, some how, some place called SPRINGFIELD, ILLINOIS, a very important speech awaits to be given by the 44th President of the United States. Tuesday, January 20, 2009 at 12:00 p.m. E.S.T.,

THAT ONE and JOE finally seals the DEAL, NEAL! What a THRILL!

No Way, No How, No McCain/Palin!

October 11, 2008 07:41 pm at 7:41 pm |
  2. democrat in az

DISHONORABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OBAMA/BIDEN 08 AND BEYOND

October 11, 2008 07:41 pm at 7:41 pm |
  3. JoeNovell

Barry Obama – has already 'promised' to cancel the Bush tax cuts (which means EVERYONE'S taxes will then go up!) and , follow up with … tax increases for everyone above $250,000 which hurts just about all of the available employers!

Someone else will have to pay it. My job has gone away. How about yours?

This is not the time for a rookie to TWEAK the economy.

October 11, 2008 07:41 pm at 7:41 pm |
  4. WAW

Sen McCain, you said you respected the opinion of Rep John Lewis. Well listen to him and not your running mate and lackeys. John Lewis would be the first to tell you that every racist in the South, believed they were just in dominating black people. They believed that God was on their side. They believed that they were saving the nation. They too were angry. The Republican party has fallen deeper and deeper into the trash heap. How can the Christian right continue to support this filth? The same way they did George Wallace when he stood in the doorway of the school. Today Christians had to leave a city in Iraq, leave their homes, or convert to Islam. We had our Civil War. In the Union victory, we became "One Nation Under God". Sen McCain you may think you are saving the nation and that your cause is just, but you are spreading racist hate. Too bad you would sacrifice your status as a true American hero for the admiration of racism.
    I am a 65 year old Christian Southern white man and I have already voted against Republican filth. Not for, but against!

October 11, 2008 07:42 pm at 7:42 pm |
  5. Anonymous

The hatred the McCain Palin base rallys reminds me of the hateful vile stuff during the anti Vietnam war stuff: McCain knows exactly what he's doing to our country & he doesn't care: It is he'd rather win than do what is best for the US, esp. during these times. We need cohesion in our leadership not deliberate hate mongering divisiveness.

October 11, 2008 07:42 pm at 7:42 pm |
  6. KC

He is only saying he is angry, he's not. What does he have to be angry about just a few weeks ago he said the economy was strong. He still has his many houses. Oh yea I guess he is angry that he's not winning so he has to spread anger and fear. One reason I am voting for Hope.

October 11, 2008 07:43 pm at 7:43 pm |
  7. willeyjasr@yahoo.com

McCain is angry because he is going to lose.

October 11, 2008 07:43 pm at 7:43 pm |
  8. Gail

Say NO NO NO to Mr. McHate and Mrs. Bullin.

October 11, 2008 07:43 pm at 7:43 pm |
  9. scared

I hope the secret service is tightening up security for Obama because I believe David Gergen have a point that this can lead to violence. McCain is out of touch he needs to apologize for his camps behavior and start talking about some thing that matters. I don’t care about Ayers or Sarah Palin abuse of power verdict that just cam out. Now if I should stop and take a look at this I think the McCain camp has more to answer for considering that Ayer terrorist action was 1960 verse Sarah Palin abuse of power 2007. Hell I was not even born yet and Ayers is not running for office. Sarah Palin is.

October 11, 2008 07:44 pm at 7:44 pm |
  10. Brian NYC

I actually think he's been angry for a very long time. He was angry at the town hall meeting because you couldnt get cheers from his Republican base. His head cheerleader Malibu wasn't there either to pat him in the rear. And his wife OMG she's the pitbull.. put the muzzle on her.

October 11, 2008 07:44 pm at 7:44 pm |
  11. sam

John McCain on john Lewis:

I think John Lewis. John Lewis was at the Edmund Pettis Bridge, had his skull fractured, continued to serve, continues to have the most optimistic outlook about America. He can teach us all a lot about the meaning of courage and commitment to causes greater than our self- interest.

October 11, 2008 07:44 pm at 7:44 pm |
  12. Not Me

So what are all you Obama supporters going to do when he LOSES?

October 11, 2008 07:44 pm at 7:44 pm |
  13. cecil

McCain calls comments by Georgia Democrat 'shocking'

What About The Things That Were Being Said By His Supprters At There Rallys, His Campaign!

How About Saying A Sitting United States Senator Is "Palling Around" With Terrorist! Where's The Proof, Where's The NSA, The FBI.

SEN. McCAIN IS SO OUT OF TOUCH, And So ERRATIC!

October 11, 2008 07:45 pm at 7:45 pm |
  14. Julie

Whatever is begun in anger ends in shame.
    - Benjamin Franklin.

October 11, 2008 07:45 pm at 7:45 pm |
  15. Pat

McCain and Palin will turn Washington upside down allright! It is such a known fact, millions are supporting and voting for Obama for that very reason! Your not Democrats Friend John, in fact, your not even someone whom many Republicans refer to as a friend. And I do Wish you'd stop that incessent "My Friends" reportoire in your speeches it is truly inane and nauseating! And regarding Obama's Planetarium Chairman raising money for him John, prove it. And I just bet Republicans are angry about your many FRIENDS who are insiders and have raised hundred of thousands for your Campaign too! Talking out of both sides of your mouth is very unbecoming John.

October 11, 2008 07:45 pm at 7:45 pm |
  16. Anonymous

Will you guys wakeup! Until 2 years ago the US had made a major recovery from the worst catastrophe since WWII. Unemployment was in the 4% range, Dow highest ever. Bush has acted like a dem by allowing increased spending because he won't cross anybody in congress. It's clear by Obama's history he won't cross anybody in his party, and the further left the better. McCain is not at the top of my list to lead us either. The congress is ready to nationalize industry. We need a congress that will cut spending, cut government waste, protect our borders and bring jobs back to America by giving us a business friendly and labor competetive market.

Put someone in congress in your district who will curtail our out of control gov't. Give back our money and give back the power to the people.

October 11, 2008 07:46 pm at 7:46 pm |
  17. VETS4Obama

Hey JoeNovell were you one of the right wing nut jobs at that recent rally? Or have you sat there and listened to that smart mouth power abuser from Alaska? Get a clue!

October 11, 2008 07:46 pm at 7:46 pm |
  18. Karen Sullivan

What is McCain trying to incite a riot?? What is wrong with this guy?! I mean, you can't argue on this issues so you start making stuff up??? It's despicable. I wouldn't vote for McCain on the fact that he has just stood in front of the world and lied...many times. That's not a quality I want in the next President. If you have to dumb that far down, you're scraping the bottom of the bucket. Have a little pride. Really disgusting from this perspective.

October 11, 2008 09:23 pm at 9:23 pm |
  19. Will

McNuts is off his meds (perhaps he should steal some from Cindy MsNuts). This is the most dangerously unstable candidate for POTUS we have had since Tricky Dicky, and the most unqualified VPOTUS since - well, that is a toss up between Agnew and Quayle.... Anyway - God help us and the entire world if these people are elected!

Go Obama!

October 11, 2008 09:23 pm at 9:23 pm |
  20. Elizabeth - TEXAS

John McCain is a very angry man with a horrible temper. Palin started the hate at his rallies. Now they are both inciting riots and hate.

October 11, 2008 09:23 pm at 9:23 pm |
  21. Students for McCain

Beware of he who is a great orator.

October 11, 2008 09:24 pm at 9:24 pm |
  22. Happy Smiley

McCain is big on anger and really small on ideas. A sad angry man.

October 11, 2008 09:25 pm at 9:25 pm |
  23. AJP Richardsojn, TX

I would be angry also if I were McCain.

He's losing and he knows it.

He picked a looser for VP which makes him look like an idot.

October 11, 2008 09:26 pm at 9:26 pm |
  24. GOP (Get Off My Poodle)

John John John...

The problem is...you always look angry. Republicans always look angry, religious fantatics always look angry, racists always look angry

And right about now, you all look remarkably similar. Im not very fond of democrats either but...Im far less worried that some left wing nutjob will blow up a McDonalds because they didnt get their way.

Do i have this right, Palin just opened hunting season on anyone that is pro-choice, John just opned hunting season on anyone that doesnt look like him.

It is a slippery slope John

October 11, 2008 09:26 pm at 9:26 pm |
  25. Bs

I really don't feel strongly about those issues like prayer in public schools and Ten Commandments in our courthouses. As far as the American constitution is concerned, I am not sure that the government should be legislating on spiritual issues affecting the prayer and the like. In my view, I think erosion of moral values in the church is of greater concern. The Bible is not particularly interested in improving the general morality of the world. In other words, we should not be so concerned about the government legislating to have non-Christians acting like Christians. So I think these people at McCain rallies are going to disappointed and disillusioned if they are looking for the Government to be their salvation. This is a difficult issue though but as a general rule; we don't need to preach to people as some are trying to.

October 11, 2008 09:26 pm at 9:26 pm |