October 11th, 2008

McCain to supporters: 'You’re angry, and I’m angry too'

McCain acknowledged anger on the trail Saturday.
McCain acknowledged anger on the trail Saturday.

DAVENPORT, Iowa (CNN) - After days of headlines over the emotion at his campaign events, John McCain acknowledged at a rally in Davenport, Iowa Saturday that he and his supporters are angry - but insisted the anger wasn't directed at opponent Barack Obama.

After a week of headlines about angry outbursts from the audience at McCain-Palin rallies directed toward Obama, the Republican nominee added some new lines in his stump speech giving a nod to the emotion on the trail.

"My friends, I have traveled all over this great country, and one thing I have heard from Americans at every stop is that they are angry. They’re angry. They’re angry. They’re angry about the mess in Washington and Wall Street. They’re angry about the failure of leadership at this hour of national crisis,” said McCain. “Well you’re angry, and I’m angry too, and when Sarah Palin and I get to the White House we’ll turn Washington upside down.”

But Obama’s record didn’t entirely escape McCain’s wrath. The GOP presidential candidate pointed to a large contribution to Obama’s political campaign from a beneficiary of one of his opponent's earmarks.

“I guess it was sheer coincidence that the chairman of the planetarium pledged to raise more than $200,000 dollars for Senator Obama’s political campaign,” said McCain. “My friends, the appearance of this insider dealing angers Americans. I am going to put a stop to that, my friends, when I am president.”

A protestor brandishing a sign that read “war is over” brought the crowd back to a more familiar kind of anger - but drew a measured response from McCain.

“You know, my friends, there’s a perfect example of some people that just don’t get it," said the Arizona senator. "You know, as people trying to stay in their homes, keep their jobs and afford health care, is what they want is for us to yell at each other ? No. They want us to sit down together, Republican and Democrat, and work together in this terrible time of crisis, the largest financial crisis in our history.”

“And by the way my friends, as you know, I’ve had hundreds of town hall meetings and I always give people a chance to talk. I don’t always enjoy it but I give them a chance to talk and that’s what its all about,” he said to cheers from the crowd. “So if there is anyone else that has a problem, come to the next town hall meeting. I’ll be glad to talk to ya.”

Filed under: John McCain • Popular Posts
  1. Red

Paul Thompson,

folks are calling him the blanket term "terrorist". You wrote is name as "Obomba", rather than Obama.

I think the Republican fired the shot, or the first dozen, in the smear campaign.

October 11, 2008 09:44 pm at 9:44 pm |
  2. mitch

WELL! OBAMA SUPPORTERS ARE ANGRY,TOO. AT ALL THE HATE UR PEOPLE SPEW!!!STOP LYING JOHN MCCAIN. STOP SPREADING HATE AND DIVISIVENESS GOV. PALIN!

October 11, 2008 09:44 pm at 9:44 pm |
  3. Stew

Wake up you sleeping Americans and vote for McCain/Palin! We cannot give our country over to the far left socialist Liberals!

October 11, 2008 09:45 pm at 9:45 pm |
  4. independent

I was not a supporter for Obama nor for McCain.. or anyone.. just did not pay too much attention to either one during the primary .. I believe politicians are politicians. so did not have much confidence in either one.. BUT

it seems to me that regardless of the issues that concerns our lives in our country now, McCain has not shown signs of being a good leader.

No matter who wins, I hope the best for our country, I am so proud of our country (even though time is tough and we've made some mistakes), and I hope we will heal as a nation and we will get better, even if it is only one step at a time.

I am a Christian and I hope all will experience God's love.. I hope Christians will not promote hatred of people of different background or different ideals or even different political party. If you believe in God, and you want others to know God, please let the His love overflow to others around you... not hatred... God bless our country and all its people.

October 11, 2008 09:45 pm at 9:45 pm |
  5. Mcsame/McShame

Why didn't you get angry when the racist piece of trash threatened your fellow senators life? Where is your dignity and respect? You suck!
    You have done some real damage to your image!

October 11, 2008 09:47 pm at 9:47 pm |
  6. Riaz

We should keep this Muslim or Christianity or Jewish or Atheists out of this election and focus on issues like, Economy, jobs, security etc.,
    It is a real shame that we are still talking about religion in politics after 5000 years of humanity!!! Let us hope all of us will prosper in the forthcoming years and live in peace!!!

October 11, 2008 09:47 pm at 9:47 pm |
  7. Buy-Bye Barack

Most Americans are angry at the easy credit for subprime mortgages, which started the financial meltdown. However, most don't realize Barack and his friends at Acorn and Fannie/Freddie were the prime movers of it.

October 11, 2008 09:47 pm at 9:47 pm |
  8. Turnabout is fair play

Digest That! October 11th, 2008 7:40 pm ET

Can you believe that I wore a McCain/Palin pin last evening to a pub and a "Radical Democrat" snatched (tore) it from my shirt and said " I can't digest that duo," sooo, I dropped the pin in her drink and said "well digest that!"

With you Liberal Democrats, there is no insight or depth, you are pure idiots, when I asked her "why are you voting for Obama," her answer: "he is creative."

Gee, give me a break!
    --------------------------------–

That's a pretty weak and lame story, kind of like you. Why don't you go back over to Fox Noise and listen to Hannity some more loser.

October 11, 2008 09:48 pm at 9:48 pm |
  9. lee

Making poor judgment always makes one angry!!
    MacCain has that poor judgment.

October 11, 2008 09:49 pm at 9:49 pm |
  10. From the North

You can see some of the hate right here. Republican politics seem to appeal to so many stupid, banal, base people.

October 11, 2008 09:49 pm at 9:49 pm |
  11. Cynthia; Bham

Senator McCain at this point just needs to take being President off his bucket list.

October 11, 2008 09:49 pm at 9:49 pm |
  12. Mark

Yes, McCain is an angry old, senile man. The country has seen what McCain and Palin represents and they don't like it. The most racial candidates every. Republican Conservatives at there worst. Spewing hate and racial words towards OBAMA. We want a real leader Obama. McCain own state of Arizona has turned against him for what he now stands for. Defeat radical McCain and Palin. Vote now for Obama/Biden. They don't waste time on radical talk.

October 11, 2008 09:49 pm at 9:49 pm |
  13. dittohead with forty names

I have just two words for John McCain.

October 11, 2008 09:50 pm at 9:50 pm |
  14. Jan in the 'live free or die' state

McCain is a tired bitter old man. Not ready to lead, not ready for anything but a nursing home.

October 11, 2008 09:50 pm at 9:50 pm |
  15. missouri

McCain you are one sick man!!

October 11, 2008 09:51 pm at 9:51 pm |
  16. Felly

McCain is a punk.

October 11, 2008 09:51 pm at 9:51 pm |
  17. Mark

Finally John McCain admits he's an angry old man. Thanks for coming clean John. The truest word you've spoken this entire campaign. Please quit the race and wait for 4 Nov , vote for Obama. Thanks for your service and the very best in your retirement.

October 11, 2008 09:52 pm at 9:52 pm |
  18. Helene

We don't need an angry president. We need someone like Obama who is cool and analytical.

October 11, 2008 09:53 pm at 9:53 pm |
  19. ADATiger

Joe Novelle,
    What's the matter, haven't W's tax cuts for the rich trickled down to you in the form of a minimum wage job? No job, no health insurance? See if Mc-pallin tax credits buy you health insurance.

This is not the time for war and hate mongering, it's time to invest in America and forward thinking, not the failed Republican policies of the past.

October 11, 2008 09:54 pm at 9:54 pm |
  20. Chris

Was that comment a staged comment or was it real.

October 11, 2008 09:55 pm at 9:55 pm |
  21. chris

To bear: gosh you're really smart.

To everyone else: google "make believe maverick" and read it.

October 11, 2008 09:55 pm at 9:55 pm |
  22. Walt

A little late bro. Who told you it was a bad thing? You are a wise man and I used to respect you. You knew the first time the racist spewed that crap, that you needed to say something, and you didn't.

Pretty messed up man.

October 11, 2008 09:55 pm at 9:55 pm |
  23. michael minorgan

GET LOST OLD MAN UR DONE!!!!!!

October 11, 2008 09:56 pm at 9:56 pm |
  24. Ross in MD

Republicans are always angry.

October 11, 2008 09:58 pm at 9:58 pm |
  25. Georgia Gal

Give me a break ... what a crock ... they're not angry about the economy or any of that stuff (one guy at another rally even said that's not what they're upset about) ... they're upset that they're in this situation and that they're behind.

October 11, 2008 09:59 pm at 9:59 pm |