October 11th, 2008

McCain to supporters: 'You’re angry, and I’m angry too'

McCain acknowledged anger on the trail Saturday.
McCain acknowledged anger on the trail Saturday.

DAVENPORT, Iowa (CNN) - After days of headlines over the emotion at his campaign events, John McCain acknowledged at a rally in Davenport, Iowa Saturday that he and his supporters are angry - but insisted the anger wasn't directed at opponent Barack Obama.

After a week of headlines about angry outbursts from the audience at McCain-Palin rallies directed toward Obama, the Republican nominee added some new lines in his stump speech giving a nod to the emotion on the trail.

"My friends, I have traveled all over this great country, and one thing I have heard from Americans at every stop is that they are angry. They’re angry. They’re angry. They’re angry about the mess in Washington and Wall Street. They’re angry about the failure of leadership at this hour of national crisis,” said McCain. “Well you’re angry, and I’m angry too, and when Sarah Palin and I get to the White House we’ll turn Washington upside down.”

But Obama’s record didn’t entirely escape McCain’s wrath. The GOP presidential candidate pointed to a large contribution to Obama’s political campaign from a beneficiary of one of his opponent's earmarks.

“I guess it was sheer coincidence that the chairman of the planetarium pledged to raise more than $200,000 dollars for Senator Obama’s political campaign,” said McCain. “My friends, the appearance of this insider dealing angers Americans. I am going to put a stop to that, my friends, when I am president.”

A protestor brandishing a sign that read “war is over” brought the crowd back to a more familiar kind of anger - but drew a measured response from McCain.

“You know, my friends, there’s a perfect example of some people that just don’t get it," said the Arizona senator. "You know, as people trying to stay in their homes, keep their jobs and afford health care, is what they want is for us to yell at each other ? No. They want us to sit down together, Republican and Democrat, and work together in this terrible time of crisis, the largest financial crisis in our history.”

“And by the way my friends, as you know, I’ve had hundreds of town hall meetings and I always give people a chance to talk. I don’t always enjoy it but I give them a chance to talk and that’s what its all about,” he said to cheers from the crowd. “So if there is anyone else that has a problem, come to the next town hall meeting. I’ll be glad to talk to ya.”

Filed under: John McCain • Popular Posts
  1. ThePuck

McCain has always been angry – a bitter angry old man.

October 11, 2008 09:59 pm at 9:59 pm |
  2. Shirley

The gutter politics we are seeing from the McCain/Palin ticket are appalling. McCain is beyond reprehensible, and Palin is no better than George Wallace.

October 11, 2008 10:01 pm at 10:01 pm |
  3. Chipster

McCain voters are experiencing the same disappointment that many of us felt when George W. Bush became President. I knew that he would find some excuse, any excuse to invade Iraq and he did. I knew he would borrow and spend us into a huge deficit and he did. I knew he would appoint religious fanatics to the Supreme Court and he did . I knew he would expand the size of government but underestimated just how much he would expand it. I knew the International community would be shocked at his ignorance but underestimated how much he would alienate them. Our country cannot afford 4 more years of this.

Please VOTE! So much is at stake.

October 11, 2008 10:02 pm at 10:02 pm |
  4. Cynthia

Sen. McCain;

Yes, we the people are angry. I see people doing without everyday. There are many people that are living on $17000.00 and a lot less a year.
    When the price of gas goes up it puts those people and others in a bind to buy gas to go to work.
    When the price of food goes up it puts those people and others in a bind to buy food to put on the table and buy gas to go to work.
    When the power bill goes up it puts a larger strain on those people, to spend the money that they needed for gas to get to work, so they could cook the food that they could hardly buy and put on the table.
    I am an independent small business that has seen a lot less customers lately and probably will for a while because understandably I come way after the price of gas, food, power bills and clothes.
    I feel that NAFTA has hurt the everyday hard working people of the United States and really needs to be revamped or abolished.
    Washington and Wall Street are a mess. The leadership in Washington should stay in session until they can learn to balance books. One bill and only one (no add-ons) should be brought up and then voted on at a time. By not letting anything sway votes, then and only then Washington might finally accomplish something.
    Thank you for the courtesy of putting your campaign aside and going to Washington to do your job as a Senator.

October 11, 2008 10:02 pm at 10:02 pm |
  5. dd

he lost all respects of American people

October 11, 2008 10:03 pm at 10:03 pm |
  6. RK

Desperation by the Republican candidates and their hidden messages of Palin in sighting emotions that arouses the fear of people where ever she goes. A good example is in Wisconsin a father fearing for his family if the Democratic nominee is elected, and in Minnesota another platform of preaching division a man ill-informed asks if Barack is a Muslin? What kind of misinformationand fear are McCain and Palin sending out?. Do they really think all Americans are really so stupid? No wonder they continue to lose ground – their campaign is one of hate and not of respect as Barack has so often showed toward McCain's service to our country. It looks like I will become for sure a registered Democrat now! So tired of the Grand Old Party dragging things into the mud. No longer an Indepdent!

October 11, 2008 10:04 pm at 10:04 pm |
  7. Yusuf

Senator McCain, i know one thing, that is Washington never changes, you should know by now, see if you can formulate another story, i do believe American people are not that naive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

October 11, 2008 10:05 pm at 10:05 pm |
  8. Californian

Be a good sportsman, do not get angry if you are losing. Someone has to lose and vice versa.

October 11, 2008 10:06 pm at 10:06 pm |
  9. Bruce

McCain/Palin have become a threat to national security.

October 11, 2008 10:06 pm at 10:06 pm |
  10. RJ

digest that,
    So you take the comment of one person and trash the whole party and it's supporters? who is the idiot here? Ask one Republican why they support McCain and they answer is, Obama is this and that. Look at Tucker Bounds who represents McCain. He was asked several times on national TV about McCain/Palin and his response is Obama is bad. So, give me a break with your phony outrage.

October 11, 2008 10:06 pm at 10:06 pm |
  11. Priscilla

Mc/same/Palin are a disgrace to American politics. McCain is suffering with dementia. He's erratic, flighty, unpredictable, and willing to gamble with our country. Palin cannot be trusted either and refuses to admit guilt after being found guilty. She knows it was wrong to allow Todd Palin to use her authority as governor. McCain/Palin would abuse the white house and this country!

Obama/Biden for President – Yes We Can!!!

October 11, 2008 10:06 pm at 10:06 pm |
  12. Walter

Their true colors are shining through. And they're not pretty. I hope this serves as a wakeup call to every moderate / liberal / sane person to get out and vote because the hate mongers, racists and religious nut will be voting.

October 11, 2008 10:09 pm at 10:09 pm |
  13. Jeannie for Mccain

I am so disgusted. Every time Barack is questioned the follow up is your racist how dare you question me ! Come on give us a break! Btw if Michael Steele was runnng on the republican ticket would some of you call him uncle Tom like you have Powell?
    And no Barack isn't up in WV At WVU maybe but not in the rest of the state. Morgantown isn't the only city in WV

October 11, 2008 10:09 pm at 10:09 pm |
  14. Tennisguypitt

Ah... jealousy. I LOVE IT!

Obama/Biden '08

October 11, 2008 10:10 pm at 10:10 pm |
  15. 7827

Nobody is believing you 'bear'. Try another blog with people as stupid as you are. Your last name isn't McCain, is it?

October 11, 2008 10:11 pm at 10:11 pm |
  16. beverly

LENORA-VIRGINIA INDEPENDENT, I AGREE WITH YOU ABOUT LOU DOBBS, I NO LONGER LOOK AT LOU DOBBS FROM 7:OO PM TO 8:00 PM. HE DOES'NT AGREE WITH NEITHER OF THE CANIDATES ESPECIAL SENATOR OBAMA, YOU CAN SEE IT IN HIS BODY LANGUAGE, FACIAL EXPRESSION AND THROUGH THE NEGATIVITY. I AM A FAN OF CNN ,I'LL DO WITHOUT LOU DOBBS I WILL NEVER WATCH HIM AGAIN HE SHOULD BE WORKING FOR FOX NEWS HE WOULD FIT RIGHT IN. CAMBPELL BROWN IS ONE OF YOUR MORE PROFESSIONAL ANCHOR REPORTERS.

BY THE WAY I HOPE JACK CAFFERTY IS WELL, I PRAY FOR HIM NIGHTLY SINCE THE LOST OF HIS WIFE. MISS YOU JACK HURRY BACK LOST WITHOUT YOU

October 11, 2008 10:11 pm at 10:11 pm |
  17. Not an American

I'm watching in disbelief of what is playing out in the political arena in the Great United States Of America. For a person who claims to be honorable to encourage anger and hate in his rallies, is baffling..... I'll point out specifically when one of McCains' supporters in Minnesota stated that Obama is an Arab and McCain tries to correct her. I did not hear him once say that Obama is an American citizen but instead a decent citizen. It's a shame that he can't come to terms with realization. Not one to these candidates are perfect but there's a line that I believe should never be not crossed.

October 11, 2008 10:12 pm at 10:12 pm |
  18. Joe

Sen. MacCain please stop this baseless attach and focus on the issues. I think people are angry becoze you have no idea what's going on in the real world. You made a biggest mistake selecting her has your VP.She doesnt have a brain at allllloll

October 11, 2008 10:12 pm at 10:12 pm |
  19. Molly

The comments here from the Obama GANG are a DISGRACE!
    The very reason why this FRAUD will never be elected.

VOTE McCain/Palin – a Team we can TRUST!

October 11, 2008 10:12 pm at 10:12 pm |
  20. Jeannie for Mccain

Margie real smart move , vote for the most liberal big spending senator , because you don't like his choice of VPS? Sarah is a very smart lady does that intimidate you?

October 11, 2008 10:13 pm at 10:13 pm |
  21. Melissa

Oh yeah mcCain... you're angry... yet you are fanning the flames and saying nothing against the death threats being uttered against Obama.

You play dirty and you don't care so long as you get into power.

You disgust me.

Obama/Biden '08

October 11, 2008 10:14 pm at 10:14 pm |
  22. tolsoi

I feel really sorry for John McCain. He seems like a decent person, although his world view is contrary to mine. His campaign has made some very poor decisions... decisions that are sweeping Obama straight into the White House (thank goodness)!

October 11, 2008 10:14 pm at 10:14 pm |
  23. Obama Supporter in MS

Anyone with half a brain and common sense can see that the only thing that McCain is angry about is not winning. He is out of touch and he can not possibly relate to me or anyone else that I know. Maybe he is angry because he can't figure out which of his 7 homes to go to or which of his 13 cars to drive. This bigot has 7 homes, while some American's have lost their 1 home. Get real people!! I cannot stand McCain or Palin. They are racist, to say the least, and if they are not, that's the impression and image they are giving. Using terms such as "That one", allowing people to say derogatory things about Obama at their rallies, and also saying things themselves. I have NO respect for either one of these racists and I cannot wait until November 4 when the better man wins.

October 11, 2008 10:15 pm at 10:15 pm |
  24. fastlegs

You are right senator McCain this time, I am angry too because you are not telling us how you are going to get us out off this economic mess we are expriencing instead you and Palin are running around like chicken without head strring up hate, anger and division at your realy.

October 11, 2008 10:15 pm at 10:15 pm |
  25. Jeannie for Mccain

Not me
    they are going to riot in the streets and scream racism!

October 11, 2008 10:15 pm at 10:15 pm |