October 11th, 2008

Rendell on McCain attacks: 'I think they're just stupid'

PHILADELPHIA, Pennsylvania (CNN) – Pennsylvania Governor Ed Rendell dismissed the McCain campaign’s recent attacks against Barack Obama’s character Saturday, and said the Republican nominee’s current strategy has severely damaged him here.

“I think the John McCain of 2000 would have been a very difficult candidate to beat. The John McCain of 2008 is much less difficult to beat,” Rendell told reporters after an Obama rally.

When asked if he thought there has been any racial undercurrent to the McCain-Palin ticket bringing up issues like Obama’s relationship with 1960s radical William Ayers, Rendell shook his head.

“Not particularly. I think they’re just stupid, they’re dumb, dumb,” Rendell said of the attacks. “They’re all dumb when people are facing the challenges in their own lives that they’re facing no one wants to hear that stuff it’s just dumb.

"You know tell us what you want to do. If he’s got a plan for the mortgage bailout explain it to the American people that might get people’s interest … but don’t tell us about you know something that happened when Barack Obama was just 8 years of age, it’s just dumb.”

1. Naomi, TX

Stupid they are :)

October 11, 2008 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  2. Barack Obama IS Our 44th president !

I agree with Gov. Rendell.

It's obvious McCain-Palin's campaign is in the toilet, therefore, all they know to do is what's in their evil hearts – sow seeds of fear, hate, and division. And all of the American people need to reject them completely with the power of their vote !

They don't have any answers for the mess they have helped put this country in, nor do they know how to solve the mess. They have proven to the American people that they are too stupid and ignorant to lead this country…they are completely unqualified for the positions of VP and president.

I truly hope everyone will turn the page on this old dirty stale politics, and choose a better path. It's time for the American people to get it right and NOT vote for McCain-Palin, instead vote for change. It's time for this country to turn the page and seek a new and better future for ourselves and our children.It's time for REAL change in Washington, it's time to elect Barack Obama for president !

Obama-Biden are the wiser and stronger team to solve the crucial challenges we have in this nation and abroad !

October 11, 2008 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  3. brian bernard

i think your wright it's just plain dumb like lou dubb

October 11, 2008 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  4. Kathy in Ohio

I agree with Mr. Rendell. McCain's campaign does seem to be just plain dumb. What a horrible strategy. I think he has sealed his fate by choosing this road. Especially since this country has had to deal with the stupid Bush administration for eight years. He must think that we are stupid to fall for it. If you are a praying person please put Barack Obama in the Lord's hands every morning. Also for our country, so much hate is being whipped up. I start to weep just thinking of the things I have heard.

October 11, 2008 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  5. linda from South Dakota

i agre,, the tactics of mccain have been unforgiveable,, like i said ,, they will do anything to get the votes,, they confuse people,, scared the beejeebies out of them,, almost start a riot and THEN,, mccain apologises..lol,, alittle too late,, MY FRIEND,,, you just blew it,,, if i were u mccain i would be so ashamed,,,,, run and hide

October 11, 2008 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  6. JACK

I'm disappointed that macain of all people will stand and watch while his running mate is seriously damaging his chance of winning the elections. palin is involved in dangerous politics. its really unbelievable she would stoop so low inorder to get elected.if she does not have anything to talk about, please macain,ask her to keep her mouth shut.america is a great nation and requires clean and dirty polkitics. macain, what was your reaction when people in the crowd shout " kill him". do you believe that palin was doing you right when angry people show their true colours. the whole world is watching and listening to the america that is seen as a beacon of democracy and land of freedom.i trust you will listen to the voice of reason.

October 11, 2008 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  7. Lisa

Well said governor, I disagree with you about the racial undercurrent it is alive and well living in the Palin/McCain campaign, People don't want to say that it could cause big problems but Gidget and Grandpa don't care, they have to win at any cost!!!!

October 11, 2008 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  8. bannedfromcnnforbeingmorethanamoron

A politician can get away with calling the mentally disabled McCain supportes dumb,because he is a God.Too bad America falls for fair and balanced reporting.CNN/FOX has fallen to glad rag status.Such a shame that the Baghdad trio is being buried in "newspeak".Shame on you CNN.

October 11, 2008 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  9. Femal voter

Rendell is right!

October 11, 2008 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  10. Frank in Pittsburgh

I have to laugh at myself. Before the general election began, I had a argument with my friend, who is also a Democrat. I told him that I was hopeful that McCain would run a positive campaign, and that even though I would not vote for him, I always respected him. Now here we are, and it turns out I couldn't have been more wrong. McCain will go down in history as running the most dirty, hate filled campain in history. It actually makes the Willie Horton ads of 88 and the swift boat ads of 04 look kind of cute. By insinuating that Obama is a terrorist, the McCain campaign, may actually be putting Senator Obama in real physical danger. The most sad part is that he is still going to loose anyway, but he will also loose my respect.

October 11, 2008 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  11. brian bernard

I THINK YOUR RIGHT IT'S JUST PLAIN DUMB LIKE LOU DOBB I NO YOU GUYS WANT POST THIS BECAUSE IAM NOT TALKING ABOUT OBAMA IF I WAS THEN IT WOULD GET POSTED LET IT RIDE PEOPLE

October 11, 2008 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  12. Nsikan, MD

Yeah, dumb it is!!!

October 11, 2008 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  13. John

yep,

This is why the more Sarah Palin talks and McCain zags all over the map it helps ALL Dems.

October 11, 2008 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  14. Charles, Mississippi

McCain picked an under-educated back-woods person who believes the Earth is 10,000 years old – what more evidence of stupidity do you need.

October 11, 2008 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  15. No Hillary = No Obama

Obama has a character? What I see is a smooth-talking charmer, arrogant and ambitious who had the audacity to give 18 million Hillary supporters the middle finger. I'll be turning the gesture on election day.

October 11, 2008 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  16. Paul

I think Randell is right here. I think some republicans are just stupid. they do not have answer to the problem facing america so they have to find something to talk!

October 11, 2008 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  17. krista

was he 8 when he hooked up with tony rezko, or rev. wright, or ayers
    no. so little is known of barack. if he says the word game changer 1 more time , i'll throw up. as being a former oprah and dr. phil watcher, That is their saying, but then again barack, has a history of taking other peoples lines, for speechs, book titles, leave "game changer" to cbs thank you

October 11, 2008 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  18. JFK

Most of us have known this for quite some time!

October 11, 2008 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  19. rusty

KEEP DREAMING RENDELL, YOU KNOW THAT OBAMA CANNOT WIN PENSYLVANIA AND YOU KNOW EXACTLY WHY, SO STOP BEING A HYPOCRITE.

October 11, 2008 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  20. amanda

l totally agree with rendell. John Mccain is just plain dump. And now that it' gotten out of hands, he wants Obama to put out the fire he stupidly started by asking Obama to repudiate John Lewis? John one word, QUIT CAMPAIGNING IT'S OVER MAN. AND WHILE YOU ARE AT IT, REIN IN YOUR PITBULL

October 11, 2008 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  21. Ron , West Coast

Ed Rendell , you are a good democrat , and thank you for it ., But I beg to differ with you ,..... McBush`s campaign is Stupid , thats for sure., They are also RACE BAITING , lets face it . His campaign cant win on running a clean campaign , nor can they win with the " Hate Mongering " they display....... He`s losing because he is just on the wrong side of history . He represents a " Third Term for Geo. W . Bush ", and thats a losing propsition in this election .....
    The American people want , and need change , not nineteen fifties/ sixties style politics , of " FEAR and SMEAR "......

October 11, 2008 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  22. Leah,Texas

You tell Mr. Rendell – go get em'.

O and Joe '08