October 12th, 2008

McCain says he'll 'whip' Obama's 'you-know-what' at debate

McCain predicted a win at Wednesday’s debate.
McCain predicted a win at Wednesday’s debate.

(CNN) - John McCain predicted Sunday he would beat Barack Obama at the final presidential debate this week.

"After I whip his you-know-what in this debate, we're going to be going out 24/7," the Republican nominee told volunteers at his campaign headquarters in Arlington, Virginia, sparking laughter and applause from the group. McCain immediately added: "I want to emphasize again, I respect Senator Obama. We will conduct a respectful race, and we will make sure that everybody else does, too."

Outside the doors of his campaign offices, McCain is fighting to hold on to the traditionally-red state. McCain talked Sunday about the tough fight for Virginia, where Obama currently leads by four points, 49 to 45, in the state's most recent CNN poll of polls. He also pointed to battlegrounds states like Ohio - which Sarah Palin visited Sunday - and Colorado, New Mexico, Nevada, and Pennsylvania.

"And I'm telling you, we're coming on and we're going to work 24/7 for the next - who's counting - 22 days," he said.

McCain acknowledged the dip in his poll numbers since the financial crisis began, but said overall trends were in his favor. "...I'd like to give you a little straight talk, we're a couple points down, ok,
nationally, but we're right in this game," he said. "The economy has hurt us a little bit in the last week or two, but in the last few days we've seen it come back up because they want experience, and they want knowledge and they want vision. And we'll give that to America, and I know that we're going to win this race."

Filed under: Extra • John McCain
  1. Mr. Brown

Come on now. Who does this man honestly think he's is going to beat???

October 12, 2008 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |
  2. Mike Phillips

McCain has lost his grip on reality. What has become very clear is that he has no options to win this election. He has made bad choice after bad choice and has allowed detached amateurish advisers to steer his right, then left then forward then back. He is making a case against himself. Obama's strategy should be to stand back and allow McCain to self destruct.

October 12, 2008 07:58 pm at 7:58 pm |
  3. Big Ed

Senator McCain; If you truly believe you will whip Senator Obama's "you-know-what" in Wednesday's debate, I would suggest you bring a lantern and a lunch because it will take you a long time to do it, if you can!

October 12, 2008 07:58 pm at 7:58 pm |
  4. stkyrce

McCain lost the first two debates. Obama will make him eat his words.

October 12, 2008 07:59 pm at 7:59 pm |
  5. Truthspeaker

I don't think McCain has what it takes to be president. I believe he will lead us on down the drain. He told lies in the last debate. Will this debate be more lies? Read the facts. If I were campaigning, I would be very truthful. Washington needs a big makeover. The ones in need to be voted out. We definitely need change and McCain isn't offering us anything more than Bush has. Everybody needs to wake up and smell the roses. Vote the oldies out!

October 12, 2008 07:59 pm at 7:59 pm |
  6. Mary, ex-PUMA

Yes, because you've done a bang up job of whipping Obama in the first two debates.

How much hot air can one person blow out of his own you-know-what?

October 12, 2008 07:59 pm at 7:59 pm |
  7. Jen

Yeah right, got your 'you know what' kicked in the last two and trying to change the game now? a little too late for that.

Besides the straight talk and nice guy 'on camera' and the dumb VP nominee and rest of the campaign building the 'hate case' says a lot for straight talk. The Rupblicans have no control over their campiagn.

October 12, 2008 08:00 pm at 8:00 pm |
  8. j

I'd like to know when Mr. McCain intends to start running a "respectful race" because he hasn't done that so far and I think he ought to watch what he says because of the negative connotations, though he hasn't seemed to care so far. He might want to spend some time considering the ethics of the race he's running. I think this candidate and his running mate are wrong for the times and wrong for the White House.

October 12, 2008 08:01 pm at 8:01 pm |
  9. Eric

haha. hahahaha. hahahahaha.

October 12, 2008 08:01 pm at 8:01 pm |
  10. Susan

There........finally, a little humor.

That's what we need for a change :)

October 12, 2008 08:01 pm at 8:01 pm |
  11. Citizen

Do we even need another debate, to see who is the best candidate? These debates are so predictable; McCain will try to say something snarky and witty and then Obama just proves how absurd the statment, which makes McCain looks about 2 inches tall. Please, no more debates, because I am tired of seeing Obama having a battle of wits with an unarmed man.

October 12, 2008 08:02 pm at 8:02 pm |
  12. Sarah

Yeah, Senator. They want vision. That would be why Obama is winning in every single battle ground state you listed–even though I've never seen New Mexico referred to as a battleground state. I almost feel bad for the man–I'm sure he's a good person at heart but his campaign is just monstrous, and Sarah Palin is so hateful and divisive. At this point it's not the election, but his legacy and honor that are at stake.

October 12, 2008 08:02 pm at 8:02 pm |
  13. Kenny

We'll see about that!

October 12, 2008 08:02 pm at 8:02 pm |
  14. Dean in DE

wow

That's all I can say really.

Sounds like my first graders.

Very professional.

October 12, 2008 08:03 pm at 8:03 pm |
  15. CLS in VT

Remember *wink,wink* be respectful.

October 12, 2008 08:04 pm at 8:04 pm |
  16. Diane

I agree we want knowledge and vision but not the type of experience McCain has demonstrated. I glad, going forward, he says he wants to run a respectful campaign, but both his ads and the speeches of his VP choice show this is either clearly not true ,or, he is a good leader even over his own campaign.

October 12, 2008 08:04 pm at 8:04 pm |
  17. Way to go..

Buddy, you need to do whatever it takes to win this one. I echo what most people feel.

I just dont trust Obama with White House.

October 12, 2008 08:06 pm at 8:06 pm |
  18. Joseph Adewole

We shall all wait and see.

October 12, 2008 08:06 pm at 8:06 pm |
  19. David

Oh right. That must be why he "took the gloves off" for the last election. Don't want to rush this big whoopin'.

I'll be watching to hear if McCain starts swearing under his breath again, or maybe wanders away from the podium.

October 12, 2008 08:06 pm at 8:06 pm |
  20. Elbee

I'm not concerned about either of them winning the last debate, I'm more concerned about hearing real answers addressing issues we are now facing. We need CHANGE. So far Obama is the one proposing that.

October 12, 2008 08:07 pm at 8:07 pm |
  21. maddie

He's going to "whip you know what and Sara Palin wants to "roll up the sleeves." This is not what Americans want or need in command right now.

October 12, 2008 08:07 pm at 8:07 pm |
  22. Farrell, Houston, Tx

Yeah, right. McCain couldn't whip George W. Bush's you know what and he was a "C" student like himself. However, McCain is attempting to use Bush's "cowboy" mentality and that ain't gonna work either. We've been whipped enough by the economy and the war and we aren't planning on McCain to keep whipping us. Vote no to McCain.

October 12, 2008 08:08 pm at 8:08 pm |
  23. Omisore

I can't wait to watch McCain get his butt whooped just like in the first two debates. The game is over. Obama will be the President..

October 12, 2008 08:08 pm at 8:08 pm |
  24. Another Liar

Does that mean McCain won't be looking that one in the face again?

October 12, 2008 08:08 pm at 8:08 pm |
  25. Ivana

McCain just needs to be alot less agressive towards his opponents and answer in more mature ways

October 12, 2008 08:09 pm at 8:09 pm |