October 12th, 2008

McCain says he'll 'whip' Obama's 'you-know-what' at debate

McCain predicted a win at Wednesday’s debate.
McCain predicted a win at Wednesday’s debate.

(CNN) - John McCain predicted Sunday he would beat Barack Obama at the final presidential debate this week.

"After I whip his you-know-what in this debate, we're going to be going out 24/7," the Republican nominee told volunteers at his campaign headquarters in Arlington, Virginia, sparking laughter and applause from the group. McCain immediately added: "I want to emphasize again, I respect Senator Obama. We will conduct a respectful race, and we will make sure that everybody else does, too."

Outside the doors of his campaign offices, McCain is fighting to hold on to the traditionally-red state. McCain talked Sunday about the tough fight for Virginia, where Obama currently leads by four points, 49 to 45, in the state's most recent CNN poll of polls. He also pointed to battlegrounds states like Ohio - which Sarah Palin visited Sunday - and Colorado, New Mexico, Nevada, and Pennsylvania.

"And I'm telling you, we're coming on and we're going to work 24/7 for the next - who's counting - 22 days," he said.

McCain acknowledged the dip in his poll numbers since the financial crisis began, but said overall trends were in his favor. "...I'd like to give you a little straight talk, we're a couple points down, ok,
nationally, but we're right in this game," he said. "The economy has hurt us a little bit in the last week or two, but in the last few days we've seen it come back up because they want experience, and they want knowledge and they want vision. And we'll give that to America, and I know that we're going to win this race."

Filed under: Extra • John McCain
  1. suzyku

I hope this country whips his you know what! Nasty old man and his idiot running mate!

October 12, 2008 09:20 pm at 9:20 pm |
  2. Joi

It is official....McCooCoo has really lost it now!!!! What an idiot!

October 12, 2008 09:20 pm at 9:20 pm |
  3. Michael M, Phoenix AZ

McCain still can't use Obama's name can he? Will he, McCain, have the guts to even look Obama in the eye at the next debate? If McCain does, he may end up showing "temper" and it may hurt him in the long run.

October 12, 2008 09:21 pm at 9:21 pm |
  4. Dennis

If McCain wants to run a respectful race, that means he has to keep a leash on his runningmate and campaign as well. Right now, neither appear to be particularly respectful.

October 12, 2008 09:21 pm at 9:21 pm |
  5. Marylou

Memo to Palin: We will conduct a respectful race, and we will make sure that everybody else does, too.”
    Maybe someone should explain RESPECT to Sarah.

October 12, 2008 09:22 pm at 9:22 pm |
  6. Crystal

He is an idiot!!!!!

October 12, 2008 09:22 pm at 9:22 pm |
  7. Loyal Democrat

Like I said before, I know that the republicans will probably find some way to take this election underhandedly as they did in 00 & 04 They've already been working long & hard how to do it. Someone said in a post on Fox that they are not worried at all because McCain will win & he knows that for a sure fact.

October 12, 2008 09:24 pm at 9:24 pm |
  8. Juan Grain

Senator McCain continues to show his unprofesional, unpresidential mavercky ways. The problem is that he is writting checks that he cannot cash. But it is his way, just look at his carreer. Always out on the fringe, breaking the rules, and disregarding and disrespecting all involved. He is not well.

October 12, 2008 09:24 pm at 9:24 pm |
  9. "That One" President Barack Obama

Yeah, whatever. Just like he did in the first two.... Wink Wink

It's just theater at this point. Mccain knows that he can win on issues. He knows that the ONLY way he could possibly come close to winning is that the Racial element is thicker than what it appears to be.
    Barack will Prevail despite his race!!

Vote Obama/Biden 08

October 12, 2008 09:25 pm at 9:25 pm |
  10. Uche Enyioko

Macain talk softly and carry big stick. You are down in polls and this is not time for boast but action or surrender.

October 12, 2008 09:25 pm at 9:25 pm |
  11. johnny

Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

October 12, 2008 09:25 pm at 9:25 pm |
  12. Former Republican in Texas

Four years ago I was ready to support this man. I thought he would be better than George Bush. Now I'm not so sure that would have been the case. And considering how BAD George Bush has turned out, that's kind of a scary though.

And McCain has become almost scary in some of his incoherent statements. I really question if he's starting to experience dementia. He looks & acts bitter & angry all the time. He makes wild statements. And he picked that nitwit Palin for his running mate. I don't think we can afford the risk of having this man in office.

October 12, 2008 09:25 pm at 9:25 pm |
  13. ines

Right.....

McCain is looking completely ridiculous and has no where near the dignity and honor you'd expect to see in someone running for the White House. He is out of his league.

October 12, 2008 09:26 pm at 9:26 pm |
  14. Richard

Good luck in the debate John, you're going to need it..........

On second thought, you don't stand a chance. You've already sold out your honor, and it'll take to long to earn it back.

October 12, 2008 09:26 pm at 9:26 pm |
  15. Sri

Clearly McPalin have lost their bearings. McCain critisizes Obama for declaring what he will do in Pakistan – "you don't say that do you?, you simply do what needs to be done", and now here he tells his opponent four days ahead that "I am going to whip you in a debate". After this McPalin call Obama double standards. Whom are you fooling folks.

Negative campagin won't give you credibility. It gives you back negative result.

October 12, 2008 09:27 pm at 9:27 pm |
  16. jay

my fiends, my friends,my friends,my friends.
    my friends, my friends, my friends , my friends
    HE WILL HAVE TO SAY MORE THAN THAT.
    HE WILL HAVE TO SAY MORE THAN GETTING HIS PEN OLD PEN OUT AND CUT PORK SPENDING.
    HOW IS HE GOING TO WHIP UP ON HIM ?
    AFTER THE Bail OUT IS A DONE THING, NOW HE WANTS TO PAY OFF EVERYBODYS HOUSE NOTES . ONLY HE WILL BE USING TAX MONEY NOT HIS .
    my friends , my friends , my friends

October 12, 2008 09:27 pm at 9:27 pm |
  17. Trasa, Texas

Well, you definitely have experience in crashing plains. As for knowledge and vision, they only need to look at opponent "OBAMA" the only one that has given knowledge and and definitely vision. If your rallies have been any indicator of your vision for America, you can keep it. The rest of us sensible people don't want that kind of division. It's time to come together. I hat to break it to those that do have racial issues, but the financial crisis doesn't discriminate.

October 12, 2008 09:28 pm at 9:28 pm |
  18. Dawn

I just cant stop laughing at that statement "whoop Obama's you-know-what??!!"

With what his walker?

Gimme a break.

Thats not very Presidential, to say the least!

I just cannot stop laughing!! Has he completely lost it!

October 12, 2008 09:28 pm at 9:28 pm |
  19. sjp

thanks to john, now obama can take the gloves off.

October 12, 2008 09:29 pm at 9:29 pm |
  20. A

Fellow democrats please pray that the hate propagated by these morons McCain and Palin does not cost Obama his life.

McCain and Palin are arousing sentiments of hate and anger towards Obama. I sincerely hope that no stupid white supremacist will react to this.

Also, hope that the secret sevice beefs up security for Obama.

October 12, 2008 09:29 pm at 9:29 pm |
  21. Trasa, Texas

post CNN

Well, you definitely have experience in crashing plains. As for knowledge and vision, they only need to look at is your opponent "OBAMA" the only one that has given knowledge and complete vision for America. If your rallies have been any indicator of your vision for America, you can keep it. The rest of us sensible people don't want that kind of division. It's time to come together. I hate to break it to those that do have racial issues, but the financial crisis doesn't discriminate.

October 12, 2008 09:29 pm at 9:29 pm |
  22. Moe, NY

I have a hard time even picturing that in my mind, cannot get a visual.

October 12, 2008 09:29 pm at 9:29 pm |
  23. Pua, HI

You wonder who still believes anything McCain says. He still thinks the economy isn't doing too bad. He really has no clues. It is sad.
    His choice of words tells more than afterwards saying he respects Obama. It is clear that he doesn't.
    Obama, keep taking the high road straight into the White House!

October 12, 2008 09:30 pm at 9:30 pm |
  24. jamie

Neither McCain or Obama, can change the course of the United States.America, is a failed state, a state that failed due to a greedy American Public that thinks they are above the world! However, I do think McCain,has a bit better understanding on world affairs and economics than Obama. Americans,continue to love their sorry useless so called democracy,funny! Every American and every U.S. president and Congress/Senate are to blame for the mess.You people cant save 1 cent? Why? No America-2008...

October 12, 2008 09:30 pm at 9:30 pm |
  25. Andrea

McCain is making a combat becasue he and his campaign is painting Obama as a bad person.He says one thing in public and his ads say another thing...Shame Shame on you John McCain if you have to use scare tactics to win a race then where is your pride MCCain. Where are you on this issues. All you seem to do day in and day out is pronce on Obama. Whats your game plan if you cannot beat him on the issues then you go deep in the gutter. Shame on you John McCain how does that shows that you put country first!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You somehow think that the country owes you the presidency !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

October 12, 2008 09:31 pm at 9:31 pm |