October 12th, 2008

McCain says he'll 'whip' Obama's 'you-know-what' at debate

McCain predicted a win at Wednesday’s debate.
McCain predicted a win at Wednesday’s debate.

(CNN) - John McCain predicted Sunday he would beat Barack Obama at the final presidential debate this week.

"After I whip his you-know-what in this debate, we're going to be going out 24/7," the Republican nominee told volunteers at his campaign headquarters in Arlington, Virginia, sparking laughter and applause from the group. McCain immediately added: "I want to emphasize again, I respect Senator Obama. We will conduct a respectful race, and we will make sure that everybody else does, too."

Outside the doors of his campaign offices, McCain is fighting to hold on to the traditionally-red state. McCain talked Sunday about the tough fight for Virginia, where Obama currently leads by four points, 49 to 45, in the state's most recent CNN poll of polls. He also pointed to battlegrounds states like Ohio - which Sarah Palin visited Sunday - and Colorado, New Mexico, Nevada, and Pennsylvania.

"And I'm telling you, we're coming on and we're going to work 24/7 for the next - who's counting - 22 days," he said.

McCain acknowledged the dip in his poll numbers since the financial crisis began, but said overall trends were in his favor. "...I'd like to give you a little straight talk, we're a couple points down, ok,
nationally, but we're right in this game," he said. "The economy has hurt us a little bit in the last week or two, but in the last few days we've seen it come back up because they want experience, and they want knowledge and they want vision. And we'll give that to America, and I know that we're going to win this race."

Filed under: Extra • John McCain
  1. Ryan, Chicago, IL

Bad news, old man. The idea is to LOWER debate expectations. If you say you're going to kick Obama's butt, and you don't deliver - which seems likely after two mediocre performances already - then you're going to look like you lost the debate.

October 12, 2008 09:31 pm at 9:31 pm |
  2. a virignia resident

yeah sure, john. Just like you did the last two debates, you will embarress yourself for the third time.

Obama/Biden '08

October 12, 2008 09:31 pm at 9:31 pm |
  3. Jess

I hope they listen to you, John. You have taken the risks, proposed ideas, Obama has just sat back and found faults while proposing nothing. You suspended your campaign and went back to your job to help end the financial crisis, the job of a Senator, and the job of the next President. Of course you should have done so. Obama found fault with your doing your job.. We know fault finding is idiot's work. This is all Obama has offered.

Empty rhetoric that you are in fact George Bush (idiotic thing to say). He's for CHANGE. Surrendering America to terrorists would be CHANGE, but is it really the change we need? It's amazing Obama has gotten as far as he has on the emptiness of his message. I hope the thinking people in America show up to vote.

October 12, 2008 09:32 pm at 9:32 pm |
  4. hD

McCain doesn't want to go there, AGAIN...

October 12, 2008 09:32 pm at 9:32 pm |
  5. Sue in MI

Boy, he sure has a lot of respect for his opponent, doesn't he? Or was that only for the 5 minute TV clip yesterday? This sounds dismissive and condescending to me. What a caricature of the John McCain who started this campaign full of promises to run non issues...now it's all attack Obama, and lie about his running mate, the real liar. Sad.

October 12, 2008 09:32 pm at 9:32 pm |
  6. Ron was a REP now a DEM

He's already tried and lost twice

October 12, 2008 09:32 pm at 9:32 pm |
  7. gerri

I have just two words for you John,I think you know what they are.

October 12, 2008 09:33 pm at 9:33 pm |
  8. Leslie

I guess we'll see.

October 12, 2008 09:33 pm at 9:33 pm |
  9. starlington

poor mccain u r already a looser.

October 12, 2008 09:33 pm at 9:33 pm |
  10. Georges Gautier

Pretty presumptious for someone who's 'you know what' just got whipped in the last two debates. Does this guy ever learn or he just does not understand what is going on?

October 12, 2008 09:35 pm at 9:35 pm |
  11. Republican turned Democrat

Sorry, we CANNOT trust you McCain and Palin...whatever.

October 12, 2008 09:35 pm at 9:35 pm |
  12. Colin

Just like he "whipped" him the last two debates...by not stating what any of his policies are, not saying what he actually plans to do to improve our nation, our economy, health care, prevent job loss. I love how he threw in the line "I want to emphasize again, I respect Senator Obama" yeah after you've been caught in the act of sparking racism at your rallies and after you make the redneck comment, "After I whip his you-know-what in this debate". McCain has lost any integrity he had, I can't wait for a third night of Story Time with John, where we get to hear how he is a self proclaimed "Maverick", how he was a POW, and instead of talking about the issues try attacking Obama on worthless and false accusations. Please just go away you're making America worse. The only chance for change is with Obama/Biden '08!!!!

October 12, 2008 09:35 pm at 9:35 pm |
  13. Florida Voter

McBush couldn't whip cream.

October 12, 2008 09:38 pm at 9:38 pm |
  14. Ian Rennie

he's failed to whip Obama's "you know what" twice now. His campaign is dying on its "you know what" as we speak

October 12, 2008 09:38 pm at 9:38 pm |
  15. georgia

More hot air ! What about real issues that truly impact our lives ????

October 12, 2008 09:39 pm at 9:39 pm |
  16. Regina

If there's one thing John McCain is good for it's "shooting off his mouth before he thinks". How will he feel if what he' screaming about does not happen.? This man is not in charge of himself, so how can he govern the whole USA.

October 12, 2008 09:39 pm at 9:39 pm |
  17. bern

McCain could not......well....I can't evern finish my sentence.......I can't stop........he he he he ROFLMAO he he he he

October 12, 2008 09:40 pm at 9:40 pm |
  18. texas voter

I am an independent voter and not a party loyalist. I have voted for republicans most of my voting years, including John McCain (I was raised in southern Az). I served with the United States Marine Corps as an infantry officer with two tours in Iraq. I SHOULD be voting for John McCain...but I'm not. He has shown poor leadership and lack of integrity as can be seen by most of the articles here on the ticker, but that's not the reason I'm not voting for him. HE VOTED AGAINST US when he refused to support Sen. Webb's (Vietnam war era Marine infantry officer) GI Bill, a bill that Sen. Obama/Sen. Biden were co-sponsors of. He caved to anti-immigrant groups, when anyone who has served in a combat unit can tell you that immigrants fight for us with more ferocity than any hate-spewing conservative coward. No, I am not conservative, I am not liberal, I am an AMERICAN PATRIOT, and like so many of my fellow veterans, I support Sen. Obama. Not because he is the anti-Bush, but because he is a leader with vision, vision for healtcare, vision for intelligent foreign policy, vision for domestic economic strength, and vision for strengthening our military, vision that the GOP sadly does not offer. We have fought for your right to vote America, don't waste it.

October 12, 2008 09:40 pm at 9:40 pm |
  19. Rex

Way to go McShame! Spoken like a true Grumpy Old Man!

October 12, 2008 09:40 pm at 9:40 pm |
  20. Terry from GA

McCain/Palin are selling "wolf tickets" and they don't have an agenda to back it up. McCain was also supposed to beat Obama during the first two debates and he didn't even come close, so makes him think he's going to beat Obama during the final debate? It's not going to happen.

October 12, 2008 09:41 pm at 9:41 pm |
  21. Tom, KS

You Betcha! Just stay home McShame.

October 12, 2008 09:41 pm at 9:41 pm |
  22. sal

This is silly. Need a modern jargon Lesson.

Obama has won

It is all clear. People are awakening to a Gov. driven by the people.

sorry, That's not you.

October 12, 2008 09:41 pm at 9:41 pm |
  23. mike butler

Sen McCain sounds as if he is still in high school at a pep rally geting ready to play a football game Wednesday night. These debates are not about who wins and and does not win. These debates need to be reconfigured so that they have value to our country. I would hope our next President does not look at every challenge as if they all have winners and losers. My concern with Sen McCain the winners/losers mindset is a part of his hard wiring. We will need a President who will try to find a way to obtain common ground.

October 12, 2008 09:42 pm at 9:42 pm |
  24. Can't wait for Jan 20, 2009!

In the immortal words of John McSame, if the election ends up being about the economy, McSame loses. Well, guess what McSame, the election is about the economy, and you are losing. Attack dog Failin is doing her level best to stir up the hatred in your base, but it isn't going to be enough. Not this time.

October 12, 2008 09:44 pm at 9:44 pm |
  25. mike

mccain cant whip my son in his football game how is he going to whip obama in anything he is losing and going down hard, hes doing anything to win this is his last desperate move before he loses, mccain is loser along with his mistress air head palin shes a lair

October 12, 2008 09:45 pm at 9:45 pm |