October 12th, 2008

McCain says he'll 'whip' Obama's 'you-know-what' at debate

McCain predicted a win at Wednesday’s debate.
McCain predicted a win at Wednesday’s debate.

(CNN) - John McCain predicted Sunday he would beat Barack Obama at the final presidential debate this week.

"After I whip his you-know-what in this debate, we're going to be going out 24/7," the Republican nominee told volunteers at his campaign headquarters in Arlington, Virginia, sparking laughter and applause from the group. McCain immediately added: "I want to emphasize again, I respect Senator Obama. We will conduct a respectful race, and we will make sure that everybody else does, too."

Outside the doors of his campaign offices, McCain is fighting to hold on to the traditionally-red state. McCain talked Sunday about the tough fight for Virginia, where Obama currently leads by four points, 49 to 45, in the state's most recent CNN poll of polls. He also pointed to battlegrounds states like Ohio - which Sarah Palin visited Sunday - and Colorado, New Mexico, Nevada, and Pennsylvania.

"And I'm telling you, we're coming on and we're going to work 24/7 for the next - who's counting - 22 days," he said.

McCain acknowledged the dip in his poll numbers since the financial crisis began, but said overall trends were in his favor. "...I'd like to give you a little straight talk, we're a couple points down, ok,
nationally, but we're right in this game," he said. "The economy has hurt us a little bit in the last week or two, but in the last few days we've seen it come back up because they want experience, and they want knowledge and they want vision. And we'll give that to America, and I know that we're going to win this race."

Filed under: Extra • John McCain
  1. 60 YO white female , Springfield, VA

McSHAME is SOOOO UNPRESIDENTIAL !!!

October 12, 2008 09:45 pm at 9:45 pm |
  2. bob

Mc Lame is so out of touch he will probably think he won after he looses. I hope that Palin has the ware with all to break the news to him but she is so busy trying to recruit lynch mobs that she will have to be told as well. Regarding her beef against Obama, how can you hate someone so much that you never met. That lunacy! Not sound judgement at all. Obama came to her defense first by telling his supporters to leave her family out of the campaign and he has never attacked her personally, but she has been non stop inciting hatred against him. In her desparation, she is more like a Nazi with lipstick. This country is really in for trouble if mccain is elected and keels over in office God forbid. Who will tell her what to do if she becomes president? I bet not one of their voters can honestly in good faith say that she would make a good president or VP because they don't what the job requires, but common sense should tell them that it requires more than her credentials. I think from a judgement perspective that Obama would be better suited to be commander in chief. We don't need any mavericks or loose cannons in the oval office, we had 8 years of that experience....

October 12, 2008 09:45 pm at 9:45 pm |
  3. Michele, Pittsburgh, PA

Senator McCain, I wanted to support you, I really did. But the way you've run your campaign disgusts me, your VP nominee scares the daylights out of me, and shown you'll use any dirty trick to win. That's not the John McCain I supported against George W. Bush In the Republican primaries in 2000.

October 12, 2008 09:46 pm at 9:46 pm |
  4. TJ Johnson

Experience, mature judgment, statesmanship = McCain/Palin.

October 12, 2008 09:47 pm at 9:47 pm |
  5. CAW in MD

Him and what army?

October 12, 2008 09:47 pm at 9:47 pm |
  6. David

he's dreaming...

Obama/Biden '08 & '12

October 12, 2008 09:47 pm at 9:47 pm |
  7. RJ

Poor fellow. He doesn't know that America is whipping "his thing " already and they are liking it. This guy is unstable, erratic, arrogant, totally out of touch with the suffering of average American and past his retirement time. America doesn't need him in the white house.

Obama is a descent guy. Otherwise, why would he not bring McCain's age issue into the campaign. If Obama's past history is fair game, why not McCain age? Does anybody care that he is too old to run for this office?

October 12, 2008 09:48 pm at 9:48 pm |
  8. Amy

He is ALWYS saying I know!
    What did Johnny boy say when he got into planes ?
    I know how to fly, I know how, II know how !

^%(*()()@#$@#!$#@$
    CRASH FIVE TIMES !!!!
    He doesn't KNOW Sh!t!!

October 12, 2008 09:49 pm at 9:49 pm |
  9. McSame-aPALINing

As an Arizona native and longtime resident of the state, I would like to apologize to the rest of the nation for producing a presidential candidate as awful as McBush.
    Please, America, next month do us all a favor and send this old clown packing. And send Caribou Barbie back to the frozen tundra where she belongs.

October 12, 2008 09:50 pm at 9:50 pm |
  10. Republicans are liars

All I can say is that McCain/Palin are downright liars and masters in twisting facts. Palin said during in her anti-abortion speech that Obama said he doesn't want his daughters to be punished with baby.

Get the facts right, Palin! Obama was speaking in the context of sex education and not abortion.

It is either you are ignorant pitbull with a lipstick or purposely twisting the facts, thinking that the Americans are stupid. I would believe later because I believe you are much cleverer than the former.

The entire world will be laughing at US if McCain/Palin won. God bless America real hard if that happens!

Obama/Biden '08!!!!!!!!!!!

October 12, 2008 09:50 pm at 9:50 pm |
  11. Obama Now More Than Ever

McCain you have no idea what honor and respect mean anymore. You have crossed the line so far into hateful, nasty and rage-filled campaigning that we are afraid of the violence you are condoning. You are irresponsible and reckless. You have no character, no integrity, are unable to open your mouth without lying and have lost the trust of the American people. Your one attempt to calm one angry person was ridiculous – especially with Palin out calling Obama a terrorist again today. You are a hypocrite and a very dangerous man. Stop the hate rallies you are leading and quit lying about how you respect Obama. You don't even respect yourself. You are a disgrace!

October 12, 2008 09:50 pm at 9:50 pm |
  12. Lenise

What poll is he looking at????

The only thing he is coming up for is air because his campaign is sinking....

October 12, 2008 09:51 pm at 9:51 pm |
  13. Chemia

I have had just about all I can take from Sarah Palin. She's a liar and is willing to do just about anything to get her way, which is very dangerous. I watch alot of politics on TV and listened to a discussion about her future in politics and was shocked to hear that she actually might still have a career. After getting to no her thus far, I have to question her ability remain govenor at this point. I am just so unimpressed with her and McCain because I believe that they have sunk to an all time low, inciting hatred and anger at these rallies. I have completely loss respect for McCain, I am a veteran and I do not think he cares about us at all. He's a fake. Bottom line, they just need to state there differences, argue over whose is better but never promote hatred in the pursuit of division.

October 12, 2008 09:51 pm at 9:51 pm |
  14. Careful!

Be Careful America. McCain and Palin is what fascism looks like in America. Note the rallies with law enforcement in uniform. Note the inciting of violent chants at their rallies. Note trying to attach Obama to terrorists. McCain and Palin's rallies are looking more and more like Nuremberg Rallies. The Germans never noticed the creeping facism in their country until it was too late,,,Don't let this happen to us!

October 12, 2008 09:52 pm at 9:52 pm |
  15. gl

it is too late the demage have been done. You can not turn the page back.

October 12, 2008 09:52 pm at 9:52 pm |
  16. Buckeye Voter

"After I whip his you-know-what in this debate, we're going to be going out 24/7"

I guess there's always a first time, eh? If my tem was oh-and-three against a rival, I wouldn't be talking trash.

October 12, 2008 09:53 pm at 9:53 pm |
  17. Marl

I don't think so you can whip Obama. You go home and enjoy your remaining years with your family!

October 12, 2008 09:53 pm at 9:53 pm |
  18. OH

Thanks John, first of all you gotta win the election. The way it is going as we can and will see; there is a Tsunami coming and November 5th. this country will be mostly blue.

Do you know the movie V for vendetta? Yeah John, we'll be saying: Remember, remember the 5th. of November. There will be no gun powder treason though...just voters feed up of 8 years of Bush and you.

October 12, 2008 09:54 pm at 9:54 pm |
  19. Ari

Oh Puhleeeez. McCain, you are pathetic. You want to know why you are down? Because all you do is go on personal attacks. You have not told us how you are going to solve Iraq. You have not told us how you are going to solve the economic crisis. Your healthcare plan will destroy it. Get real. You are going down and hard.

October 12, 2008 09:55 pm at 9:55 pm |
  20. Independent

Big mouth, old man! Do I need to get my soap ?

October 12, 2008 09:55 pm at 9:55 pm |
  21. Dennis

Whip ... I find such language terrible. McCain's lost the election and do himself and the country a final service, it would be best for him to stop using language that has such clearly racial overtones!!!! He would best be served by putting civility into his campain!

October 12, 2008 09:56 pm at 9:56 pm |
  22. Chris

How very presidential.

October 12, 2008 09:56 pm at 9:56 pm |
  23. Michelle

So says the Christian man! His thoughts are sooo pure! (Sarcasm)

October 12, 2008 09:58 pm at 9:58 pm |
  24. Xavier

Whipping? Somebody tell McCain that we dont do that in this country.

October 12, 2008 10:01 pm at 10:01 pm |
  25. Danielle

John McCain wishes he could beat Obama in a debate. If he could beat Obama he would of done it in he past 2 debates, and he wouldn't of went to the tactical smear methods to try to take people's mind off the fact that he lost the debates.

October 12, 2008 10:02 pm at 10:02 pm |