October 12th, 2008

Ohio Poll of polls: McCain, Obama in tight race

McCain is keeping the race close in Ohio.
McCain is keeping the race close in Ohio.

(CNN) – Pennsylvania may be slipping from John McCain’s grasp, but the Republican nominee is keeping the race close in the neighboring battleground state of Ohio – a state that no successful GOP presidential contender has failed to win.

CNN's new Ohio poll of polls shows Barack Obama leading McCain by three points, 49 to 46 percent. Five percent of the state’s voters were unsure about their presidential pick.

The network’s last Ohio poll of polls, released October 9, showed Obama leading McCain by four points, 50 to 46 percent. In the September 21 poll of polls, Obama led McCain by a single point, 47 to 46 percent.

Republican VP nominee Sarah Palin is slated to stop in Ohio Sunday - the third time on the past week week the GOP ticket has visited the state.

Map the candidates' path through the swing states with CNN's Election Tracker

The Ohio general election "poll of polls" consists of four surveys: Ohio Newspaper Poll/University of Cincinnati (October 4-8), ARG (October 4-7), CNN/Time/ORC (October 3-6) and ABC/Washington Post (October 3-5). The poll of polls does not have a sampling error.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain • Ohio • Poll of polls
soundoff (1,327 Responses)
  1. Ruben

Wait to give the story a positive spin for McCain, even though he gained 1 point and Obama leads by three. CNN, why do you do this?

October 12, 2008 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  2. rumpusgoopus

When the change is well within the margin of error, how in the world can you say someone gains ground by a one point change?

October 12, 2008 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  3. Carramea

Ohio is a state filled with rural Americans with only access to right win conservative radio stations. My friend spent 10 days near Columbus , she stated it was like Illinois was 15 years ago. The only news she heard was right wing rhetoric. I am not surprised .. I have a friend from Ohio that keeps trying to tell me Obama is a Muslim .

October 12, 2008 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  4. no more rncshame

looks like the dumbest people in america have moved from florida (2000) to ohio

October 12, 2008 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  5. Abby

LOL CNN! you are looking hard for good news for McCain of you are reporting a one point gain in one state. A poll, mind you, where the margin of error is like 3! This is the funnies thing I've read all day.

Obama 08!

October 12, 2008 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  6. Barbara - 65 yr old white female in NC

There is just too much negative stuff coming out of the mouths of the republicans. They are playing to the less educated people, the ones who have missed or never had the opportunities some others had.

This is not protecting the vulnerable – it's abusing the vulnerable. I have lost all respect for McNasty, and I'll never forget it.

October 12, 2008 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  7. James From Chicago

WHERE IS JACK CAFFERTY???WE NEED HIM>>

McCAIN HAS LOST MY TRUST..REPUBLICICAN FOR 20
    YEARS, NOW FOR OBAMA..HE SHOULD HAVE NEVER CHOSEN PALIN, AND HE WENT TOO NEGATIVE. WHERE IS THE OLD JOHN MCCAIN WE KNEW???

OBAMA/BIDEN 08

October 12, 2008 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  8. Jared

Oh, Ohions...please, wake up. Don't you regret 2004 yet?

October 12, 2008 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  9. wiser

Here we go again! Senator Obama and his campaign are injecting the race card again, this time against Senator McCain and Governor Palin just like they did during the primary. Then, they framed President Clinton and Senator Clinton as racist.

Also, Senator Obama’s campaign insults voters by implying if they vote against Senator Obama they are racist.

Guess what, I will vote against Senator Obama because he has little experience and displays a lack of ideas and judgment.

This Democrat will vote for McCain!

October 12, 2008 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  10. Flo

The only poll that will determine the race is people going to the polls on November 4th. I can't trust these polls because there is too much fluctuation. ....................Was this normal in past elections? The volatile numbers that is.....................

October 12, 2008 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  11. supporter

The voters MUST consideer the event of Palins ethics problems. Do they want the VP to be a repeat of Chaney? Do they want Palin's husband to have access to the same abuse of POWER that was exercised in Alaska?

When Aterny General Gonzales abused his power he was forced to ste3p down is there a different standard for the Governor oif Alaska?

Remember how Scooter Libbie had to take the hit for the way the CIA agent was outede by the VP? IThis just goes to show she is not a maveric she is just more of the same abuse of power that has dominated Washingtong for the last 8 years.l WE CAN'T AFFORD $R more years!

October 12, 2008 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  12. Stacy Clarks, TX

oh please CNN

1 FRIGGIN POINT!!

YOU GUYS ARE PATHETIC, YOU WOULD LOVE NOTHING MORE THAN TO GET RATINGS BY MAKING SOMETHING SEEM LIKE IT IS NOT!!!

SHAME ON YOU, YOU ARE ALL ABOUT YOUR RATINGS AND DOING S DISSERVICE TO THE AMERICAN PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!

October 12, 2008 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  13. Donald

All this suspense is good for selling media advertisment, but that fact is that this race is over! While McCain may win Ohio, he has lost Virginia, North Carolina and in all likelihood, Florida. Several months ago I predicted a 54 Obama 42 Mcain split in the election. Now, I'm changing that to 56 Obama 39 McCain with Obama winning at least 320 electoral votes.

There is also the REAL possibility that McCain could lose Georgia, that will be a VERY close race.

October 12, 2008 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  14. Florida I-4 voter no longer undecided

Sick and tired of, "It's Racial".
    John Lewis (D-GA) is NO Civil Rights icon. He is full of hate. I realized today, that if Barack wins, we're going to hear Race Hate, Race, Race Hate for the next four years. All this hate will take the focus off our country's real needs. I'm sick and tired already of "It's Racial". From Rev. Wright, to Michelle Obama's beliefs, from Bill Clinton to John Lewis' hate – I'm turned off. I don't want to hear anymore Racial allegations... I'm sick and tired of it.

I've decided I'm not voting for Barack because I don't want 4 years of, "It's Racist".

October 12, 2008 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  15. Connie

If this is true then Ohio and Indiana people that vote for McSenile deserve what they get , more of Bush policy.After all they put Bush in twice, but why do I and my family have to suffer with all these idiots ? If you all think you are hurting now , put McSenile and Palin in you will think this is the good old days.It will be a sad day in America. OBAMA/BIDEN 08
    Connie from Indiana

October 12, 2008 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |
  16. JayInNewHampshire

Come on Ohio, Get with the program. McCain is not going to create the Jobs you need with government spending freeze oh wait a minute he wants to spend 300 billion to bail out homeowners who bought homes they could not afford and put the burden on you and me. Obama wants to give us a stimulus package for tax relief and infostructure. Yeah this will cost money 150 billion I think but it will create jobs and give people extended unemployment benefits and some tax relief. You have to spend money to make money. So Ohio you are an important part of this election lets do what's right for all of us. Obama/Biden 08

October 12, 2008 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  17. PUMBU

Ohio, why? do you really trust this guy, McSame? after election you will be dissappointed that you voted for 4 more disastrous years. You have it coming, McCain can not be trusted.

October 12, 2008 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  18. ines

Remember who these polls do not include. Remember the numbers that are not included. Remember who these numbers support.

Obama-Biden '08

October 12, 2008 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  19. BIGG PLAY 84

I hope that this is not true because if people are starting fall for this gimmick campaign they are going to be fooled twice well three times because Bush has already fooled them twice and McCain will be a third time. So don't fall for these gimmicks again because if you think things are bad now if McCain gets elected I see it getting worst.

October 12, 2008 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  20. bruja

People – WHAT ARE YOU DOING?????????????????
    Please, not Ohio again..........................

October 12, 2008 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  21. Clinton Democrat

Here we go... Obama supporters, I can't wait to hear you find something to attack McCain or CNN on about this one.

How about matching your candidate's rhetoric about a politics that brings each other up, not tears each other down? Didn't think so...

October 12, 2008 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  22. jane in Columbus,ks

I put no faith in polls and strongly believe that Ohio voters are smarter than to fall for ,much less vote for, the party that preaches and promotes such hatred and racial divisions.Good will always triumph as will Obama/Biden.

October 12, 2008 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  23. L AM A REPUBLICAN

mccain u can not have my vote.

obama 08

October 12, 2008 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  24. Patrick

A move of one point is characterized as "McCain gains ground"? I'm reminded of WWI trench warfare for some reason...

October 12, 2008 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  25. worriedmom

I feel sorry for Ohio, corruption has set in with their state from ACORN. But what goes around, comes around. also why doesn't CNN show the video on Farrahakan that is speaking to his Islamic followers that Barrack is the Messiah and to wait for his call to the youth! Of course CNN wouldn't show it, that would cause their audience to think more and defeat their personal preferences and agenda's. I once thought CNN was developed to keep the American public informed about happenings in the world, now i see it is to determine which way they want our country to lead. I have lost all respect for CNN, MSNBC, CBS and NBC.

October 12, 2008 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54