October 12th, 2008

Ohio Poll of polls: McCain, Obama in tight race

McCain is keeping the race close in Ohio.
McCain is keeping the race close in Ohio.

(CNN) – Pennsylvania may be slipping from John McCain’s grasp, but the Republican nominee is keeping the race close in the neighboring battleground state of Ohio – a state that no successful GOP presidential contender has failed to win.

CNN's new Ohio poll of polls shows Barack Obama leading McCain by three points, 49 to 46 percent. Five percent of the state’s voters were unsure about their presidential pick.

The network’s last Ohio poll of polls, released October 9, showed Obama leading McCain by four points, 50 to 46 percent. In the September 21 poll of polls, Obama led McCain by a single point, 47 to 46 percent.

Republican VP nominee Sarah Palin is slated to stop in Ohio Sunday - the third time on the past week week the GOP ticket has visited the state.

Map the candidates' path through the swing states with CNN's Election Tracker

The Ohio general election "poll of polls" consists of four surveys: Ohio Newspaper Poll/University of Cincinnati (October 4-8), ARG (October 4-7), CNN/Time/ORC (October 3-6) and ABC/Washington Post (October 3-5). The poll of polls does not have a sampling error.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain • Ohio • Poll of polls
soundoff (1,327 Responses)
  1. Julie

I have faith in the people of the great state of Ohio.

Faith that they fundamentally know it is time for real change at the helm of America, evidenced by our domestic and global slide these last 8 years.

Listen closely to Senators Obama and Biden, and judge them on their direct promises of tax cuts (including cuts to 95% of small businesses), new job creation bringing pride to Made In America once again, infrastructure improvement so desperately needed, health care for Americans, and bringing our good women and men soldiers home from Iraq.

America desires and needs to move forward Ohio. You may someday have the honor of telling your children and grandchildren that on November 4, 2008, you participated in making history by voting for the Obama/Biden ticket and are proud Ohio did so.

October 12, 2008 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  2. Sheila43302

Nobody has polled me, and I'm voting for Obama.

October 12, 2008 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  3. mikew

Please, send Palin to Ohio. Clearly, for every member of the "base" she energizes, she alienates one or two moderate swing voters. Have a good time, Sarah, your 15 minutes are nearly up!

October 12, 2008 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  4. lyn

Political ticket you are wrong about McCain moving up in the polls in Ohio, it has been 46 for a long time so get your fact right. Political ticker please print my comment.

October 12, 2008 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  5. D. Woods

This is the first time in American history in which both candidates on one ticket have been found to have violated ethics standards BEFORE the election.

McCain was admonished by Senate Ethics Committee over the infamous Keating Five scandal. And now Palin has been found to have violated state ethics laws and abused the powers of her office, in the “Troopergate” scandal.

And they still have the stones to question Obama's character? Didn't Nixon question JFK's character too?

October 12, 2008 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  6. cindy

Ohio Be smart don't have another 4 years of
    Mccain=Bush

October 12, 2008 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  7. lil

With the jobs that have been lost in most states I think the the only reason that the american people are still going to vote for mccain not
    because they believe in his policies or the man but because Obama
    is of mixed race and not because they dislike is policies because most people truly dont like mccain.

October 12, 2008 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  8. bco

McCain gains one point in one state, in an average of polls, and you turn this into a front page headline that McCain is gaining ground?

Are you reporting news or trying to create news where none exits?

October 12, 2008 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  9. La Raza

Let's send mccain and pailing packin. You simply cannot stop a "movement." Just look around.

October 12, 2008 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  10. Jason

Blacks are voting for Obama because they believe in his abilities and his policies. Do you think if Flavor Fav ran, all blacks would vote because of his skin color? Get real!

October 12, 2008 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  11. KSDUSA

RLS- I personally am glad to hear that Obama is ahead in Ohio. I know where I live, it has been traditionally been a republican voting state, and the so called Polls show McCain ahead, but I can tell you alot of people here are pulling for Obama, simply because he has came up with ideas and solutions to issues,not name calling, mud slinging, lies. I know about 90% of people I talk to and where I work I come in contact with alot of people, are sick and tired of hearing all the garbage coming out of Mcain/palin campaign.

Personally, All I have seen out of Obama/Biden campaign is a deffinate ability to think quickly,calmly and rationally about issues and give straight forward answers on how these issues should be handled. Even McCain himself said in his book that he reacts to quick and makes rash judgements, and alot of times it takes 2 or 3 times to get it right, but he gets it right.

Think about that....when you are running to be a leader of the USA, do you really want someone who Shoots from the hip or thinks before he leaps. I am pulling for the guy who Thinks before he leaps. Obama/Biden 08.

October 12, 2008 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  12. Ed, Santa Fe, NM

How stupid can the people of Ohio be?

October 12, 2008 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  13. ethan

a "tight" race? i think not. even if obama loses ohio (which he won't) he's already won florida. with the florida win, he's well over the amount of electoral votes to win. basically ANY state he doesn't already have gets him the win. unless mccain wins every battleground state (which he won't) then barack's our man! :)

October 12, 2008 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  14. D

John-

McCain's bailout of troubled mortgages- who do you think is gonna pay for that- the Tooth Fairy?

Which group are you- the 30% or 70%? Dunno about you, but I have no interest in bailing out someone who made a risky financial decision while I dutifully pay my 30 year fixed.

It's the biggest liberal bailout program in history proposed by a desperate republican- without the concurrence of the conservative base.

Erratic? You bet.

My vote goes to Obama.

October 12, 2008 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  15. Peter (CA)

John–

Your comments are truly ignorant and sad. I (a white male in my 40s with a PhD) am perfect fodder for the Republicans. But I see that they do not care about anything I care about. I want my children to be raised in a fair country with a clean environment that treats all of its citizens with respect). The Republicans care about issues only during election time. The rest of the time they are busy making money for their crooked friends. The last 8 years have proved that.

By the way, if you could spell a little better, I would consider taking you more seriously.

October 12, 2008 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  16. Scott, Warren Co.Ohio

As an Ohio voter who lives in a republican infested community in warren county and a huge Obama supporter I will be shocked if Obama doesn't win. I've seen quite a few Obama signs where you would never have seen a Democrat sign before Bush. I've registered and made sure all my friends of Obamas where registered.

Obama & Biden !

October 12, 2008 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  17. maureen

John-you are both meanspirited and wrong in your comments. I (and many others I know who support Obama) am well-educated and hardworking and my choice is well thought-out. Barack Obama is ready to lead this country out of impending financial doom and undo the divisiveness that Bush has created. It is UN-AMERICAN to treat each other with disrespect.

October 12, 2008 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  18. MD in Oklahoma

CNN, are you trying to decide the election? You know these polls are psychological. So who will you place ahead in the polls this week and 2 weeks from now?

October 12, 2008 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  19. Mike

Come on CNN, this isn't a gain! You tell people long enough that McCain is coming back and he will. Report facts, not 1% changes in polls. LAME

OBAMA 08!

October 12, 2008 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  20. Darrell

Obama supporters are not home on weekends.They are out living laughing and enjoying life.Weekend polls are always favroring republicans who are at home watching Archie Bunker re runs.Young dems are never in on weekend polls

October 12, 2008 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  21. Roger

Obama's ties with Acorn could mean that Hillary should be the nominee.

October 12, 2008 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  22. Ronda

Michigan Voter,
    Please don't forget that McCain/Palin abandoned Michigan! They don't care about Michigan. They felt it wasn't even worth fighting for! They showed great leadership in the eyes of defeat!

October 12, 2008 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  23. Stephen

Thank goodness Obama had the foresight to try and create different ways to get to 270. Because I have never trusted Ohio. They were content to screw over the country in the last 2 elections. I guess they think the 3rd time will be the charm. Ohio is a place where a high concentration of people, despite the fact that they have the highest job losses in the nation, where they believe Barack Obama is a muslim. Which for me, that argument is code for 'It's because he's black.'

Guess what, people? That still makes you a racist and predjudiced!

In any case, if the polls are right state by state, Obama won't even need Ohio to win. So go ahead, Ohio. Vote for McCain if you want.

October 12, 2008 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  24. DOLLORBIL

THIS IS FALSE REPORTING THE 1 PERCENT IS WITHIN THE MARGIN OF ERROR THERE FOR THERE IS NO CHANGE cnn is lying. i dare you to print this. bet you won't because it is the real truth.

October 12, 2008 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  25. Chris-n-San Jose

nick shaw,

I will share some logic with you to help put things into perspective. Blacks have voted for White Democrats at a rate of 90%+ for years. White Republicans even those that are racist cannot be considered voting based on race given their past voting preference. Racism will only make a difference because White Undecideds and Democrats that are racist. I hope this helps. Racism has to do with hate or disdain for someone based on skin color.

October 12, 2008 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54