October 12th, 2008

Ohio Poll of polls: McCain, Obama in tight race

McCain is keeping the race close in Ohio.
McCain is keeping the race close in Ohio.

(CNN) – Pennsylvania may be slipping from John McCain’s grasp, but the Republican nominee is keeping the race close in the neighboring battleground state of Ohio – a state that no successful GOP presidential contender has failed to win.

CNN's new Ohio poll of polls shows Barack Obama leading McCain by three points, 49 to 46 percent. Five percent of the state’s voters were unsure about their presidential pick.

The network’s last Ohio poll of polls, released October 9, showed Obama leading McCain by four points, 50 to 46 percent. In the September 21 poll of polls, Obama led McCain by a single point, 47 to 46 percent.

Republican VP nominee Sarah Palin is slated to stop in Ohio Sunday - the third time on the past week week the GOP ticket has visited the state.

Map the candidates' path through the swing states with CNN's Election Tracker

The Ohio general election "poll of polls" consists of four surveys: Ohio Newspaper Poll/University of Cincinnati (October 4-8), ARG (October 4-7), CNN/Time/ORC (October 3-6) and ABC/Washington Post (October 3-5). The poll of polls does not have a sampling error.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain • Ohio • Poll of polls
soundoff (1,327 Responses)
  1. David

I only wish that everyone would research what a socialist is and then decide who is the better of the two. I gave no names and shown no support here...you have a couple of weels to research it and I won't even suggest where to research it. Just do it for yourself and for your country.

October 12, 2008 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  2. Jim in San Jose

The reason people are behind Barak Obama is leadership. This country has been without it for so long that people don't recognize it when they see it. He has the ability to get people off their butts and do something. All McCain can do is complain.

This country is going downhill in a huge hurry thanks for the absence of leadership (and intelligence) of Geoge Bush. If you think ol' W has done a good job, vote for his next term with John McCain.

If you want leadership and the ability to turn this mess around, your only choice is Barak Obama.

If you can think, you'll vote for Obama.

October 12, 2008 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  3. patriot4usa

Sarah Palin should have had that trooper fired, he is a shady character and doesn't deserve to be a trooper. But he is still a trooper, he even admitted to tasering his 10 yr. old step-son,right here on CNN

October 12, 2008 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  4. JBB

CNN how can McGain be gaining and he has not moved up in this poll? Just because Obama lost a point (consider the margin of error) Your headline is deceiving. . .46 is 46 and defintely not a plus.

October 12, 2008 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  5. nancy

Playing to people's fears – just what we need more of.
    Ohio citizens, please come to your senses. The nation cannot take more of the fear mongering with no plan for the future.

October 12, 2008 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  6. travis

Wow, CNN what a great headline. McCain gains ground in key state. One whopping point. This will surely help your all important ratings by making the race look close over the next few weeks.

October 12, 2008 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  7. kyle

haha, McCain makes a 1 point gain in one states and he gets an article for it. lame.

October 12, 2008 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  8. Davis

I'm not sure why everyone saying but McCain/Palin have 3 weeks to change minds. As someone mentioned earlier, EARLY VOTING could be key here ! It starts late next week in many places ! I for sure am not going to wait. Why deal with the long lines if I've made up my mind already ?

October 12, 2008 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  9. BJ in NC

The last comment I made did not include that the majority of Black people have voted Democrat for years. When 94 % of Black voters voted for Bill Clinton to give him an overwhelming victory, there was no news headlines stating that race played a factor in the outcome. The majority of those unregistered voters continued to go along with the program of America hoping for the best, but now that a candidate has peaked their intrest enough to bring them out to register and their numbers are showing, there is something to make a comment about. The comment in itself, being pushed by the news pundits, is enough to stoke the underlying hatred that lies in the individual who has the least recognized racist point of view. I would wager that some of these individuals do not recognize themselves and will not be comfortable with their views for some time to come.

October 12, 2008 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  10. Keith

Won't the pundits and the Democrats be shell-shocked on election eve when John McCain wins? These polls mean nothing. We all know that. you like the polls when they are in your favor and you hate them when they are not. Obama people, don't get too high and might yet, it might all back fire!!! I am a Democrat and I am voting for John McCain and there are many like me. I was a Hillary Clinton supporter. I don't trust Obama as far as I can throw him!

October 12, 2008 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  11. the good times are coming!!!!!!!!!

how is mc c gaining ground when the poll numbers are the same?...........or are they polling in Mars?

October 12, 2008 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  12. Your Conscience

CNN's new Ohio poll of polls shows Barack Obama leading McCain by three points, 49 to 46 percent. UP 3 Points.

In the September 21 poll of polls, Obama led McCain by a single point, 47 to 46 percent. UP 1 Point.

Recent poll Obama increase to 3 when on 9/21 it was only 1 point. HELLO.........CNN..... it is trending obama. Silly article.

The death rattle of the failed GOP is an ugly sight indeed.

October 12, 2008 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  13. Dave

It is great to read the loons here say that Palin abused her power, WRONG she was cleared of that, learn how to read. They had to find something and they said it was ethics that she was guilty of. That was not in the report that I read but the lib senator had to find something. Now the loonies are going wild and making up stories again.

October 12, 2008 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  14. Jerri

I can see why everyone has abadoned the McCain campaign. The truth of the matter is that Palin is a joke, embarrasment and she cannot learn fast enough. The lady has never really left the continental US. If you count Kuwait, which does not because she probably landed on the base and that doesnt count. I liked McCain but his judgement is wrong when it comes to Palin. Poor lady, she should do what is best for country and resign. You have plenty of gifted republicans to choose from. Obama is a gifted man and im sorry Palin is not. Obama will probably join the likes of Ghandi, King, Kennedy, Tutu, Anan, Sakorzy, Putin, Yeltsin, Merkel, Blair, King Hussein, FDR, Clinton...people who have shaped the world but Palin is not in the same category and will never. I cringe when i see people use talking points that have been clearly ripped off from Obama supporters...the bottom line is..people aint buying it. She aint even on Quayle's level. The economy is tanking and terrorist are peeping this crisis with owl eyes. Wake up Mr. McCain. You wont pick a seamen to be your Deputy Fleet Commander..would you? So how and why did you pick Palin. Dont worry McCain about the negative stuff because when you picked Palin you lost my vote man. Best wishes to the republicans because you bringing Palin to the ticket shows me that you are not interested in solving our problems, you are only interested in power. I should have voted for Romney. Oh yeah you are no hockey mom. Mr. McCain you choosing Palin really shows me how stupid you and your party think the American people are. What are you trying to do...Bush US!!!AGAIN.

October 12, 2008 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  15. David Randall

What Journalism! A one point gain or change is not like the landscape has changed. Why don't you get with the program and report about the $13,000 in Taxpayer money used to fund Palin speaking engagements at church events in Alaska. Now that is a real violation of the constitution.

October 12, 2008 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  16. Wendy

Why are we so much on race. Get over that phase and start talking about issues.

October 12, 2008 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  17. JJ

To Matthew....Insulting your parents and grandparents does NOT become you. Stop pouting because you didn't get a call. Your final comment regarding "the scary black man" speaks volumes about you.
    However, I too was young and ignorant and part of my own "me generation" so I forgive you.

October 12, 2008 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  18. Ernest Philly

I must say this headline is very misleading, Obama falls 1 point according to you guys and Mccains gaining ground. There are alot of things going on in polling trends,but his is not one of them. My headline of choice would have been McCAIN LOSES WV AS LEAN,NOW A TOSS UP,or VIRGINA AND FLORIDA ARE NOW LEAN OBAMA, and as article mentioned. PENNSYLVANIA BECOMING LESS OF A BATTLEGROUND, PRETTY SAFE FOR OBABMA. These are the real stories going on. BTW...no Margin of Error in your polling sample. This tells me that this analysis is not very dependable.

October 12, 2008 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  19. David

Ohio is partly responsible for the mess that our country is in because they are stupid enough to vote Bush and Cheney in 2004. Because of there vote in 2004,America is mess it is in.Hey OHIO you better off now then you were 8 years ago? Prove rest of America wrong, prove to us that Ohio is not stupid enough to vote for McCain.

October 12, 2008 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  20. j

Voters need to get rid of the proponents of Reaganomics, because it's a failed doctrine, it's what got us into this mess and if we continue, with McCain, it's just going to get worse. So, if you're interested in responsible government, vote for Obama and fiscally responsible Democrats, vote out the proponents of Reaganomics, vote against McCain.

October 12, 2008 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  21. Rai

I don't believe in your polls of polls one bit. All I know is that McCain is the right man for the Presidential job at this time. Tell Obama to wait for another 8years.

October 12, 2008 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  22. Mario Brenes

Who cares what's happening in Ohio. Obama does not need Ohio to win this election, so what is the point about who is ahed in Ohio? Non.
    In the other hand if Blacks are voting for Obama because he is Black, more power to Blacks and GOOOOOOOD for them.
    Thank God we are going to have a President with a brain, some body we can be proud again to be Americans.

October 12, 2008 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  23. Vic

McCain/Palin - that's the ticket!

October 12, 2008 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  24. redhead from toronto

CNN – Why are you not posting my comment? My comment was appropriate and polite. Is it because I'm from Canada? Do you think we don't care about our neighbours? McCain is still at 46%, where is that a gain?

October 12, 2008 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  25. TheIndependent

Interesting deduction. I'm reading the numbers and the polls release dates, and I honestly can't figure out how McCain is gaining ground at all in Ohio. Very misleading headline indeed. Obama is the one who's gained ground in the state in the last couple of months.

October 12, 2008 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54