October 12th, 2008

Ohio Poll of polls: McCain, Obama in tight race

McCain is keeping the race close in Ohio.
McCain is keeping the race close in Ohio.

(CNN) – Pennsylvania may be slipping from John McCain’s grasp, but the Republican nominee is keeping the race close in the neighboring battleground state of Ohio – a state that no successful GOP presidential contender has failed to win.

CNN's new Ohio poll of polls shows Barack Obama leading McCain by three points, 49 to 46 percent. Five percent of the state’s voters were unsure about their presidential pick.

The network’s last Ohio poll of polls, released October 9, showed Obama leading McCain by four points, 50 to 46 percent. In the September 21 poll of polls, Obama led McCain by a single point, 47 to 46 percent.

Republican VP nominee Sarah Palin is slated to stop in Ohio Sunday - the third time on the past week week the GOP ticket has visited the state.

Map the candidates' path through the swing states with CNN's Election Tracker

The Ohio general election "poll of polls" consists of four surveys: Ohio Newspaper Poll/University of Cincinnati (October 4-8), ARG (October 4-7), CNN/Time/ORC (October 3-6) and ABC/Washington Post (October 3-5). The poll of polls does not have a sampling error.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain • Ohio • Poll of polls
soundoff (1,327 Responses)
  1. Uncle Sam

John McCain has a record of reform.
    Why would anyone believe Sen. Obama's promises of change when he has never demonstrated it in his career?

Americans for McCain '08

October 12, 2008 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  2. Gary Page

I think we need a review of what "margin of error" means. If I take a series of polls with the same number of randomly selected people out of the same population (without any change in their beliefs at all), the exact numbers I get will vary a little from one poll to the next. There are statistical rules for how much to expect this variation to be. You could always accidentally grab a sample that happened to be all one way or the other (all Obama, or all McCain, in this example), but that is not very likely.

So the margin of error is the amount of change you might see simply because of which random group you picked. A shift of the full margin of error might still be just luck, but is unlikely (I think about a 5% chance).

In this case, I am sure we are way below the margin of error (1% compared to what is surely at least 4 or 5%). That kind of variation might well happen half the time or more.

In other words, it is about as likely that this is a random fluctuation as that it means anything at all. A real statistician could give you precise figures on that, and clear up whatever mistakes I've made above.

October 12, 2008 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  3. nora CC TXAS

Someone on here called John McCain, Mchitler, Mchater, I wonder if John McCain ever thought the day would come when people would call him things like this. My how the mighty have fallen. John McCain it is not too late to take the high road, right now you are hugging the gutter, is that what you want for yourself and your campaign? Does the country deserve that from you?NO, we don't.

October 12, 2008 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  4. alpha

You guys don't have the facts. Check the detailed polls at the pollsters websites.

1. Pollsters do call cellphones, just prefer landlines if they exist.
    2. Skewing of results only occur due to people refusing to participate in the poll.
    3. What to the undecideds and non-participators believe? We will find out Nov 4.

October 12, 2008 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  5. Desmond Sequeira

O Hi Ohio.

Obama/Biden = INTEGRITY, INTELLIGENCE, HIGH COMPETENCE, HOPE ALL THE WAY. The USA and the world needs this ticket to govern from the White House. The alternative is unmitigated dishonest, nasty disaster. CLEAR AS CRYSTAL. Please be ruled by the facts and NOT by the false fear. Thanks.

October 12, 2008 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  6. Ian Healey

Please you peoples ignorance is so disgusting... Shall I remind everyone that it was NINJA loans and the Dem's welfare that created the credit crisis. In fact it was Clinton not Bush that started the ball rolling. Bush even warned about this for as bad as he was a president. Also when the Republicans put a Bill on the floor Co-Sponsored by....you guessed it John McCain, to end it it was voted down by the liberal congress, and Obama’s pet project ACORN sued banks if they didn't want make these risky loans. So please if you’re going to bash and make those comments know what you’re saying...

October 12, 2008 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  7. BettyB

In the event that something would happen to John McCain,Sarah Palin is about as ready to be president (or even VP) as I am, She reminds me of some of the girls I went to HS with that were running for prom queen and would make up stories about her opponents to make herself look better. Really, how can anyone think this vindictive woman is qualified to do anything other than run for PTA president. People need to look beyond color or gender and vote for the best team and the Obama/Biden is a much stronger ticket.

October 12, 2008 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  8. Kathy

McCain may win Ohio, because of the racist people in that state, but Obama will win this election.

October 12, 2008 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  9. tony the tiger

i think it is very telling that mccain continues to be ahead in missouri which has voted for the winner for past 100 years

what will happen is the fiscal crisis will calm down over next several weeks and things will tighten and mccain will win because the people that are still undecided tend to be more conservative less educated voters

trust me it will be close but mccain will win

October 12, 2008 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  10. Penny

Come on Ohio. McCain,,,Seriously??

October 12, 2008 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  11. OHIO FOR OBAMA

no matter how many times caribou barbie comes to ohio. we will not fall for her hatred talk. we have enough on our plates without the hatred factor. enough of bush and mcsame. it is time for a REAL CHANGE. EVERYONE THAT IS REGISTERED TO VOTE PLEASE VOTE. THAT IS THE ONLY WAY WE WILL GET CHANGE.

October 12, 2008 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  12. redhead from toronto

Lisa – Exactly what you said, BTW, I am a 67 yr. old white woman who can think for herself. Go Obama/Biden...VOTE

October 12, 2008 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  13. m c

Way to go Ohio!!! No Socialism!!!! Vote McCain/Palin and get the economy back on track. It was the policies of the Democrats in the 90's that laid the basis for this depression!!

October 12, 2008 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  14. Bobby

All the polls are getting tighter today! Mccain is on his way to another upset!!!!

October 12, 2008 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  15. WAKE UP OHIO!!

Take a look at what the Republicans have done to you!!! The biggest and gravest national mess ever in Americas history. Your household is suffering under the republican machine. Please, I beg you, set aside the color problem (oh yes you DO have a problem just because Obama is 1/2 black) , and set aside all the lies about Obama being a terrorist, un-Christian and the like. These things are false and are shoved in your face by McCain to pull you away from the real issues. Do the intelligent thing, vote for Obama and watch how America will once again move towards financial solvency and gain the respect of our Allies and enemies around the world. Wake up Ohio!! Please, I beg you, the the sake of the country.

October 12, 2008 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  16. PK

As an external observer (Australian), I can see that McCain's campaign is divisive and leading to rage. While he may tell his supporters that they need to be respectful, he is not doing anything to curb his running mate's campaign of sowing fear and doubt.

October 12, 2008 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  17. Shaun Landry

As a supporter of Barack Obama, I can see why this race is going to be close. I will concur with the idea of Race no matter how much it personally breaks my heart that this is still an issue. A lot of people said "Not in my lifetime" with Barack on *both ends of the spectrum*: African Americans voting for him only because he is black and Caucasian voters voting against him because he is black. A very profound statement years ago came from Sidney Poitier in the movie Guess Who's Coming to Dinner that is very poignant now – "...not until your whole generation has lain down and died will the dead weight of you be off our backs" We still have a long way to go before the dead weight of the generation before me and my generation can actually come to grips with race equality. Until then? I'm just voting for the man closest to my political beliefs. I hope everyone else does the same.

October 12, 2008 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  18. Josh

Touting the issues at this time is B.S. There will be many issues during a presidency and the issues today may not be the same after Jan. 20th.
    I am more interested in the character and trust of the candidates at this time because that is what is used to make the decisions on the issues faced during the presidency.
    Touting the issues is just pandering to voters and avoiding the real issues of character and trust.

October 12, 2008 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  19. America think for you

Barack Obama do not abuse his power to fire no body wrongly. The investigation was not tainted; it was a bipartisan investigation and they caught Sarah lying. She is a no brainer power abuser who will fire you if you divorce her sister. What is a shame. We do not want power abuser in the white house. Joe Biden never abuse his power.Ethics verse trust. How can we trust the GOP? They had lied about it for so long and refused to coorparate because they knew that they were guilty. They are so desperate and have nothing else to talk about but lies. Do not let them deviate your thought about the economy.

October 12, 2008 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  20. redhead from toronto

To Moving On – I loved your comment, Ohio is a lovely diverse and decent City, I think the rest of America is the same. The future looks brighter already. GO OHIO... Vote Obama/Biden for your children's sake.

October 12, 2008 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  21. DaisyPA

I'm not sure that PA is "slipping" from McCain's grasp.....I've never seen so many Pennsylvanians in my area in support of a Republican.
    If we can't pull through in PA, we'll hope for OH!

October 12, 2008 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  22. Jen, OH

Well 89% of blacks voted for Bill Clinton. It wasn't racist then why is it now?

October 12, 2008 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  23. MD

Get off it, CNN. Youa re desparately trying to pretend there is a "race." You did the same during the primaries. You are doing the people in America a disservice by slanting the news, just to sell ads.

October 12, 2008 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  24. Joan (OH resident, Former Rep.)

I think this is bogus.

Someone made the point below, and it's true, a very small proportion of people are voting McCain in my area, there seem to be a lot of people like me (that is, dissatisfied women with out-of-work husbands and kids to feed) who have felt abandoned by McCain's policies and are moving quickly towards Barack Obama.

I've voted Republican for the past four elections, but times were better then and frankly if all my candidate can do is stir up venom and bitterness towards the supposed opposition – a man who, despite his relative inexperience, is putting forward sensible policies to help see our great United States on the road to recover – then we're all going to be left behind and I don't think we as a nation can afford to let that happen. The choice of Palin, a woman who was probably meant to appeal to mothers like me with her faux-folk charm and supposition that 'hockey moms' are who we want running the country, sealed the deal.

And so, I'm boldly moving towards the Democrats, but I do feel proud to be all for Obama/Biden 08. Change has to come, and it just won't happen with McCain this time.

October 12, 2008 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  25. dian

Reading the title of this article made me thinki it was back to a one point lead.. This is still a good lead for Obama.

Go Obama/Biden

October 12, 2008 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54