October 12th, 2008

Ohio Poll of polls: McCain, Obama in tight race

McCain is keeping the race close in Ohio.
McCain is keeping the race close in Ohio.

(CNN) – Pennsylvania may be slipping from John McCain’s grasp, but the Republican nominee is keeping the race close in the neighboring battleground state of Ohio – a state that no successful GOP presidential contender has failed to win.

CNN's new Ohio poll of polls shows Barack Obama leading McCain by three points, 49 to 46 percent. Five percent of the state’s voters were unsure about their presidential pick.

The network’s last Ohio poll of polls, released October 9, showed Obama leading McCain by four points, 50 to 46 percent. In the September 21 poll of polls, Obama led McCain by a single point, 47 to 46 percent.

Republican VP nominee Sarah Palin is slated to stop in Ohio Sunday - the third time on the past week week the GOP ticket has visited the state.

Map the candidates' path through the swing states with CNN's Election Tracker

The Ohio general election "poll of polls" consists of four surveys: Ohio Newspaper Poll/University of Cincinnati (October 4-8), ARG (October 4-7), CNN/Time/ORC (October 3-6) and ABC/Washington Post (October 3-5). The poll of polls does not have a sampling error.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain • Ohio • Poll of polls
soundoff (1,327 Responses)
  1. xddy4u

I'm Afro-American and I'm getting ahead of the game. I will VOTE for an Hispanic without a second thoght. If he has the big "D" before his name and he's my canidate. Yes people we WILL have an Hispanic running for the high office, and this will be in your life time. So get use to voting for any race that's in the party. Long live the DEMOCRATIC PARTY.

October 12, 2008 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  2. Sweet Justice

African Americans have been voting for white presidents for decades because white men were the only ones running. Now, why is it that a interracial candidate (Obama) is the Democratic Presidential candidate that somehow African Americans will simply vote for him because he "black" racist? One thing for sure is the "establishment" that have suppressed African Americans for decades is perhaps afraid that America is melting into colors not just Black America or White America, but a Brown America. Not once have I heard Obama play the race card and I watch the news often. What strikes me as odd is that Obama is educated, well spoken demeanor, a family man, and people reject him simply because of the color of his skin. Then you have John McCain that is using his POW status to get votes. What McCain has not said is that he crashed 5 aircrafts that cost us taxpayers millions of dollars each. Not only that, when McCain was in the military, doctrine, tactics, and strategies have changed significantly and not revelant in today's military. President Bush did not have any experience except for being governor of Texas and used his father's legacy. However, President Bush's scorecard is going to trump his father's legacy and he (Bush, Jr.) is going down in history as an incompetent president.

Republican presidential candidates John McCain & Sarah Palin are using subtle innuendos to get votes. In doing so they are going use words that describes someone like them...white and patriotic. In essence, their words make Obama appear less patriotic and anti-white. Let's us all get real that racism is alive and well in America! The McCain/Palin rallies have gotten ugly and uncalled for, but I want to reserve my observations thoughts that there is a group of people that have been very low key and it makes me wonder what they are up to?
    Let Obama bring up affirmative action on an even, level playing field and watch how white Americans react. Obama, just because he has brown skin does not speak for all African Americans. Because Obama does not speak ebonics, lived in 'da hood', have a police record, etc. then somehow McCain/Palin are using those subties that one can not simply put a finger on and give it a name.

Until every person examine himself or herself first and ask the question of "do I enspouse the views of my parents"? Because what we know of racism and prejudices is that it is a learned behavior.

Peace Out!

October 12, 2008 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  3. W. Johnson

The whole idea of CNN's "Poll of Polls" is fatally flawed on its face. Sure the name "Poll of Polls" sounds authoritative, like "the mother of all polls." But how can CNN say their "Poll of Polls" has no sampling error, when all the surveys it's based on have sampling errors? Very unscientific and hence meaningless.

October 12, 2008 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  4. BR

Just when this country is ready to embrace and transcend the barriers of racism and hatred, the republican ticket is hell bent on inciting and creating divisions. We do not need these psychotic, lunatic, desperate duo to poison the minds of America with their filth. Let's rebuild America, one that can make us all proud, a model that the rest of the peace loving citizens all over the World can then look up to!

October 12, 2008 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  5. offwallst

it is very very sad to see you mccain haters talk this way..but i guess you all forgot which one sacrificed his live so that you can maintain you freedom of speech hatred...

October 12, 2008 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  6. John, Flagstaff, AZ

Folks in Ohio look what happened to you over the last 8 years. You elected Bush and he devastated your state. An old friend of mine from the Marines lost his job in a wire production plant due to oursourcing two year ago. He found another job but lost it a year later becasue the firm went to China and ever since he is out of work living with his parents at the age of 38. If Obama was white the election would have been long ago decided. I keep hearing a lot to people saying I am not voting for a black guy. Well do you want another 4 years of Bush? McCains incompetency in economics? Palins Bridges to Nowhere. Why are we Americans so blind and ignorant??? My European friends are all for Obama. Sometimes I do not understand our priorities. Think, evaluate, review and make a clear headed rational decision. Obama/Biden.

October 12, 2008 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  7. Papasan in Arizona

The last resort of all Failing Republican Campaigns are the Right Wing Looneys! Sure Republicans are mad, they are waking up from a long peaceful Bush slumber, to find two morons [McCain/Palin], with a disturbing megalomaniac love affair with themselves, out of touch with our Nations true issues, and running a revolting Smear and Fear campaign! That's a tough wake up call, "MY FRIENDS"!
    The McCain solution is an Ignorant Slang Talking Power Abusing Junk Yard Dog [Palin] scrambling around the Nation drumming up Racist Bigotry to smokescreen the obvious inept incompetence of the McCain/Palin campaign! Americans face the hardest financial disaster in the History of the USA, this is your idea of Change! John McCain / Sarah Palin have no idea what Americans trying to survive face. 401K plans gutted, Unemployment, Foreclosures, and the Global Economy in disarray...
    McCain/Palin are a disgusting self serving disgrace. Clearly proving they are not up to the complex task of keeping the Nation together in hard times.

P.S. McCain, please do not come back here to Arizona.

October 12, 2008 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  8. northern neighbour

watching Senator McCain was painful in he debates. I was appalled when my neighbours to the south elected GDUBBYA and now I have reoccuring ni8ghtmares about the possibility of a McCain/Palin Presidency. Don,t you people ever learn? Is it just me, or is it evident to others the type of people that support the Republican ticket? What a descrepency, on one hand you have the wealthy corporate elites who benefit from the Bush/ McCain doctorine, on the other hand a complete opposite, the older ,less educated types that tote their guns and thump their bibles in indignation against anything that they deem as unamerican. Thankfully there is a whole segment of average middle of the road ,open minded people who just may be able to save this country from it's extreme frnge elements

October 12, 2008 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  9. Shane

"Every country has the government it deserves"
    -Joseph de Maistre

This year, we'll see what America deserves – a fresh start, with fresh ideas and a fresh outlook on our country's future, or a continuation of the corruption, arrogance, greed, and incompetence that has plagued us for the last eight years. If we cannot rise above gutter politics, cannot raise the level of political discourse above fear-mongering, race-baiting, and mudslinging, cannot focus on issues that unite us rather than those that divide us, then we truly will receive the government we deserve on election day.

One candidate is steadfastly promoting solutions to problems. The other is promoting slander, lies, smears, and scare tactics in place of solutions to problems. It's quite clear to me who's more concerned about the future of our country. It's a shame that so many others choose to focus on petty nonsense when considering who to cast their ballot for. I can only hope that common sense, decency, and genuine concern for our country carry the day on Nov. 4, instead of bigotry, hatred, and fear. We deserve better. But we will receive the government we deserve, that much is certain.

October 12, 2008 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  10. suzyku

He's still NOT ahead in the Ohio polls according to you! A loss is a loss!
    The headline CNN has written is misleading. Why can't you people just report the truth without attempting to influence or grab headlines? I'm about as fed up with the idiot media pundits as I am with mccain/palin!

October 12, 2008 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  11. Bobbie

This is the deal, Obama has more intelligence in his thumb than McCain and Palin have in their entire bodies combined. I refer to them as Twittle dee and twittle dumber!

October 12, 2008 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  12. Angela

See what happens when you get out of your base supporters?

Flyers fans booed Palin!!!!

October 12, 2008 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  13. Nic

No way No how No Mccain/ Palin.This man is suffering from altzheimer and would definitely have a hearth attack on first day in office.He seems to me like he is running to become commander in chief of the Army.Sory but they would not even heiger you because you are too old.Better sit and enjoy your retirement benefits.Thanks for your service to the Nation.But this is the 21st Century and we are not trying to go back.
    Send Palin back to Alaska were she will be jailed for her abuse of power.Ohio is Obama Land. Obama Biden all the way..Go .............

October 12, 2008 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  14. Charlotte

Everyone thought Obama would be a cake walk to the White House? I doubt if he will win. I will write Hillary on my ballot and pray for the best.

October 12, 2008 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  15. Mo

I am in OH and i, like many other people i know have voted early for Obama. The stuff that Fox has been talking about with voter fraud is not true. voting is run in OH like a tight ship. I had requested to vote by mail and then i showed to vote in person (early) and i was told that the computer showed that a ballot was mailed to my address and that i needed to destroy it when i got it and that is exactly what i did. i was told it was going to delay the process and that it was not going to be couted anyway.

October 12, 2008 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  16. Charlie

Like it or not (and I don't), but race is going to be a factor in this election. I bet there are a lot of people who are telling pollsters they will vote for Obama, but it will be a different story when they walk into the voting booth on Nov. 4.
    It would be nice if every voter would pick a candidate purely on their credentials, but it's not going to happen. Will it make a difference? Probably not, but I can't help but think if Obama loses, it will be for the wrong reasons.
    And for the record, I think this country is screwed no matter who wins. I can't believe either of these guys got their party's nomination, and my problem with them has nothing to do with race or age.

October 12, 2008 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  17. EG

A single point is "gaining ground"? I know you want the race to be close for ratings, but this is a stretch. Holding on yes, gaining ground? Way off :(

October 12, 2008 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |
  18. Theresa

I just pray that people do not let race bias their decision. Barack Obama is the best PERSON for the job.

October 12, 2008 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |
  19. citizen1

McCain will win this election if he continues to pull the ominous curtain back that shrouds Obama.
    Sarah Palin is the perfect match up for McCain and who continues to excite the crowds and build this new republican party. They should march on to Ohio, Iowa, Pennsylvania, etc, keep up the good work McCain-Palin.

P.S. I just sent off yet another donation to my candidates of choice.

October 12, 2008 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |
  20. Elizabeth

I wonder how much the McCain campaign influenced (PAID) to make this headline news... please, it is one percentage point!

October 12, 2008 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |
  21. Anonymous

McHilter, add a one inch square black mustache and black hair and Mc Shame word look like a psychotic, bipolar, schizphrenic leader of the 1930's and 1940's. and his girl sara braun. I am scared. I am afraid one of the candidates may not make it through the election. That really scares, so McCain please stop the hateful, devisive rhetoric.

Who is spewing the hateful, devisive rhetoric???? Sounds like you Cheez wiz

October 12, 2008 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  22. Dollar Bill

For you people who keep defending Palin...you must be the "Joe Sixpacks" she referees to.

October 12, 2008 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  23. McCain!

McCain will win Ohio!

October 12, 2008 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  24. patriot4usa

Go Mac/Palin

October 12, 2008 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  25. marc

I was leaning towards Obama but now am leaning towards McCain after looking more closely at both candidates. For me it's the math. Obama is making all kinds of promises on tax cuts, healthcare etc. There is no way he can pay for them even if we shut down both wars.

It all sounds good when people are facing an economic crisis but the reality is in the numbers. I can't see 8% of tax payers footing the bill for the other 92%. Just doesn't make sense.

So I will probably choose the the more prudent choice and go with McCain.

October 12, 2008 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54