October 12th, 2008

Ohio Poll of polls: McCain, Obama in tight race

McCain is keeping the race close in Ohio.
McCain is keeping the race close in Ohio.

(CNN) – Pennsylvania may be slipping from John McCain’s grasp, but the Republican nominee is keeping the race close in the neighboring battleground state of Ohio – a state that no successful GOP presidential contender has failed to win.

CNN's new Ohio poll of polls shows Barack Obama leading McCain by three points, 49 to 46 percent. Five percent of the state’s voters were unsure about their presidential pick.

The network’s last Ohio poll of polls, released October 9, showed Obama leading McCain by four points, 50 to 46 percent. In the September 21 poll of polls, Obama led McCain by a single point, 47 to 46 percent.

Republican VP nominee Sarah Palin is slated to stop in Ohio Sunday - the third time on the past week week the GOP ticket has visited the state.

Map the candidates' path through the swing states with CNN's Election Tracker

The Ohio general election "poll of polls" consists of four surveys: Ohio Newspaper Poll/University of Cincinnati (October 4-8), ARG (October 4-7), CNN/Time/ORC (October 3-6) and ABC/Washington Post (October 3-5). The poll of polls does not have a sampling error.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain • Ohio • Poll of polls
soundoff (1,327 Responses)
  1. chippyarm

Holy Cow! I just left the site for the AIP. I googled Alaska Independence Party. Why in the world is the media not making much of this stuff. It's downright scary. They're still living in 1958.

October 12, 2008 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  2. bob

The reason why 97% of black Americans are voting for Obama is because McBush and Palin is making it a race issue. The are encouraging an atmosphere of racial hatred at their rallies and it is a sign of desperation. Someone shouted kill Obama at a Palin rally in Florida. Even Republican Buckley who is a high profile member of Mc Cains party says that John McCain has changed since he is behind in the poles and that he is going to support Obama. A vote for McCain is a vote for possibly Sara Palin to become president. What is her economic plan? Think about it. Nick Shaw, you should be voting for Obama, be smart, don't fight change.

October 12, 2008 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  3. Syed Shamsuddoha

This is not the same John McCain I used to admire for many years. As people gets older, people get more wisdom. Looks like McCain has less than half of what GWB has to lead this country. How can this segregationist, with all his lies, run this country?

Or McCain should be taken for a psychiatric evaluation.

Wake up Americans!

S

October 12, 2008 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  4. nadine

all americans ought to be proud that there is an intelligent man, who happens to be black, running for president....he has chosen another intelligent man, who happens to be white, as his running mate...surely, americans will be intelligent enough to vote for obama.

October 12, 2008 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  5. tom

All you young Obama / Biden supporters, please find out if your state is voting early. If they are, grab your friends and go vote early for OBAMA so that you don't get turned off by the long lines on election day.

Go and VOTE EARLY.

October 12, 2008 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  6. kay

McCain and Palin should be ashamed of the negative campaing their running.
    Their are people out there that have racial prejudice and this could mushroom into something bigger, as you see some of the angry people in several events in several states. We have a war going on in two countries we done need one here.

October 12, 2008 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  7. Portlanders

When we won't have this discussion, I know my country and my country-men can look past race, until then, it's very obvious that's it's alive and well.

By the way, Obama is part white, part black. Look internal and not external. If we're able to do that, we will not be having this issue.

October 12, 2008 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  8. Nicole

Go McCain!

October 12, 2008 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  9. markie

Amazing!!!!

I sat down for the first Sunday in a long time to see the morning news shows. It was AMAZING!!! Supporters of MCCAIN (i.e. Rick Davis) completely blew off the last week of attacks and racial remarks. As if its John Lewis and Barack's fault. Every single show had a mccain supporter spinning the wheels. I've never seen anything like this before. Mccain is the only person who attempted to be reasonable (pressured by the secret service i'm sure). Now I know why Mccain is losing (his staff/supporters are terrible!!!! ). And his base (which he never really embraced) are mainly bigots/racists. Hey Mccain, they are not voting for u, they are voting against Obama.

If anything we need to stand up to the real culprits (Sarah Palin, republican base, fox news). After what I witnessed from these crowds (oh yeah, its more than just a few, its most of them–watch youtube) these people only respect people who look like them. Hispanics, Indians, Asians (regardless of whether you've married in) are not exempt from this disease

As for that previous argument with reverse racism, please put it in perspective. Blacks have never had a legitimate candidate before (I'm sure they are PROUD!!, but not racist).. So throw the entitlement theory out the window. I know blacks would mainly vote for the democratic party anyway. Now I know why!!! They only make up 12% of voters, some of which don't vote. There really is no comparison.

October 12, 2008 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  10. Jay

I agree. Who wants to see Palin come to town just to preach hate and division? I was on the fence myself until the McCain-Palin campaign started in with this fear and hate mongering. There are more important things to talk about.

October 12, 2008 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  11. Melissa

John-
    First of all, your math is ridiculous. Secondly, I, a white, educated, female TAXPAYER, know exactly why I am voting for OBAMA/BIDEN
    1. They will cut my taxes.
    2. They will improve the educational system
    3. They will help move this country toward energy independence while simultaneously increasing national security, providing jobs, and boosting the economy.
    4. They will put an end to the greed that consumes corporate America.
    5. They will restore the image of America.
    6. They will prove all of you haters wrong.
    7. McCain is scary.
    8. Palin is even scarier.

Those are just a few of my reasons...

October 12, 2008 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  12. Warren Faison

Can someone tell me why PALIN kids are alway's on the campaign trail and not in school, listening to the hated when she's campaigning.

October 12, 2008 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  13. Logan

Ohio is directly responsible for the 8 years of Bush, it is amazing in another article on CNN that they speak to people in an economically depressed town in a very conservative part if OH, and there are still people who would vote against their best interest. I must say, I do not think people in OH are very smart.

October 12, 2008 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  14. Griffin

Barack, keep pounding issues and give the american people straight talk, seeings how the "straight talk express" lost a few wheels and became the "straight smear express". McCain is exhibiting all the symptoms of early Alzheimers Disease

October 12, 2008 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  15. born in ohio

How does McCain staying at 46 points mean that he is gaining ground? Obama may be losing some of the edge (though not likely a statistical difference since it's only one point), but I can't see how the headline can read that McCain is gaining.

October 12, 2008 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  16. Dave

Socialism:

(in Marxist theory) the stage following capitalism in the transition of a society to communism, characterized by the imperfect implementation of collectivist principles.

Conservatism:

A political philosophy or attitude emphasizing respect for traditional institutions, distrust of government activism, and opposition to sudden change in the established order.

And you wonder why the people are fearful, and angry. This country was founded on rugged individualism, not collectivism.

When did the democratic party become the socialist party?

October 12, 2008 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  17. Matt

It absolutely defies logic why Ohioans continue to support McCain and Palin. No job, house in foreclosure, 401K lost 50 % of it's value in the last week. Oh, but Sarah Palin sure is spunky !

October 12, 2008 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  18. kellyg

I sometimes think that cnn notes these statistical changes as a way to charge up the democrats to make sure that they get out and vote in order to prevent any more gaffes like 2000.

October 12, 2008 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  19. Steve

CNN,
    Twice in a row you have censored my anti-Obama comments but you allow comments saying Senator McCain is a Nazi and wishing Governor Palin harm. The censorship has begun. Thanks liberals.

October 12, 2008 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  20. Darryl Miller,

Under Senator John McCain, many more United States Military men and woman will die in a senseless War that was started base on the Lie...

Call as spade a spade...

Under Gov. Sarah Palin, she will you the Office of VP to try to fire her Ex. brother- in – law..

Can these people be trusted?

October 12, 2008 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  21. NoTrustInPolitics

How many time do I have to repeat myself? Polls are worthless. I have never-I repeat, NEVER-gotten a Poll call. Yes, I am underage, but I answer the phone and have parents who can vote. Noone in my school has gotten a poll call. Due to the young voting block-the people who are effected the most by this election-Obama will win.

October 12, 2008 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  22. Jeff L, Camarillo, CA

So, The polls said that the race went from 50 Obama and 46 McCain to 49 Obama and 46 McCain.
    McCain's number remains the same at 46. I'm no mathemetician,
    but I don't see any additional gain for McCain. The supposed 1 point drop didn't go to McCain.
    CNN, Shame on you!! Get it right...That is NOT a gain for McCain!!

October 12, 2008 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  23. Anonymous

All the discussion makes me pose this question: how many of you really understand everything that you cast a "yes" or "no" vote for on the many ballot issues for your state and locality?

Yes, I know that there are state issued booklets distributed to make us "informed" on the candidates and initiatives, but how many of you read them? Most of us don't (or can't) even set our VCR clocks.

By the way, me included.

I'm "college educated" and have lived for almost 55 years.

But what do I really KNOW about our government process, as well as world economics, etc? Admittedly, not nearly what it takes to really cast an informed vote. And those choices on "local issues" are just as important as the Presidential vote you make.

The reason I voted for the Democratic candidate, was that he and Mr. Biden offended my sensibilities the least.

Barack Obama seems to be the genuine article, with the intellect to do whatever it is that Presidents really do during their tenure in office. I believe that they will do the least collateral damage and have the best chance of putting things back to "where they should be".

I'm not saying Americans are a stupid lot; there's just no way most of us can devote the energy or time to be adequately informed about the world. That's why we depend on the media and commentary from academics to lead us in the best direction.

There will always be the cerebrally challenged goon squads that infect Palin's rallies, shouting mindless crap. That's a given. Some are less evolved than others.

I only wish that we all can relax and let the process proceed, maybe with less "play by play and blow by blow" media coverage. The bickering and vindictiveness pervading this campaign is so wearing.

Maybe things will get better soon....

October 12, 2008 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  24. DavidB

How ignorant, CNN!!

A change of one point is likely statistical noise. The race may be close, but you can hardly claim that McCain has made up ground.

Seems like you guys want to manufacture a story out of thin air.

October 12, 2008 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  25. dharmas

Racism speaks

October 12, 2008 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54