October 12th, 2008

Ohio Poll of polls: McCain, Obama in tight race

McCain is keeping the race close in Ohio.
McCain is keeping the race close in Ohio.

(CNN) – Pennsylvania may be slipping from John McCain’s grasp, but the Republican nominee is keeping the race close in the neighboring battleground state of Ohio – a state that no successful GOP presidential contender has failed to win.

CNN's new Ohio poll of polls shows Barack Obama leading McCain by three points, 49 to 46 percent. Five percent of the state’s voters were unsure about their presidential pick.

The network’s last Ohio poll of polls, released October 9, showed Obama leading McCain by four points, 50 to 46 percent. In the September 21 poll of polls, Obama led McCain by a single point, 47 to 46 percent.

Republican VP nominee Sarah Palin is slated to stop in Ohio Sunday - the third time on the past week week the GOP ticket has visited the state.

Map the candidates' path through the swing states with CNN's Election Tracker

The Ohio general election "poll of polls" consists of four surveys: Ohio Newspaper Poll/University of Cincinnati (October 4-8), ARG (October 4-7), CNN/Time/ORC (October 3-6) and ABC/Washington Post (October 3-5). The poll of polls does not have a sampling error.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain • Ohio • Poll of polls
soundoff (1,327 Responses)
  1. Griffin

mstran the only thing that drove US companies out of the US was greed and tax breaks for moving to other country. When you can get ppl in another country to work for pennies a day,if you had a company you would move also..So don't use that Republican who doo on me. Gbama wants to give companies tax cut to keep job in US not out source them to other country.Create Green job that will last for the future, and jobs to rebuild the inter structure of this country. Tax companies that hid billions of dollars off shore, that McCain supports If you want more of the same or worse. just vote for McCain and Palin and you will get what you deserve...This Atwater,Rover style of politics with no work this time... Enough is Enough..How many time do you ppl have to get your pocket picked to know who picking your pocket...

October 12, 2008 07:00 pm at 7:00 pm |
  2. GOD'S MESSENGER

God is on the throne watching every people on the earth.
    The Bible speaks about the fall of Spiritual Babylon in he Book of Revelation 18. Have you read these chapter and understood what the verses say? ......
    Today Christians dont know how to behave. And they say they are Christians.
    Read the Book of Mathew chapter 5 to 8.
    These verses will change our life, if we do study and meditate.
    We are surely in the end times. And those Words Jesus Prophesied is sure to take place, no on can change these Words.
    God bless the Candidates.
    GOD BLESS AMERICA !

October 12, 2008 07:00 pm at 7:00 pm |
  3. bannedfromcnnfornotbeingamoron

One must needs wonder where the fanatic cretins from BOTH parties come up with the drivel posted.The last I heard,hate-mongering and death threats are illegal.What part of this is not understandable?IT'S ILLEGAL!!!!!!!!!I guess this is like selective prosecution by Federal Authorities.Don't touch the Alien,but bust the Cancer Patient for using prescribed Marijuana.How long America?How long before we take back our Country?Will we wait until EVERY family is affected by illegal lobbyists and crooked politicians?Will you wait until your own sons and daughters are persecuted for the same things Bush,Clinton and Obama got away with?Must you lose your home and savings before you realize that this can no longer stand?Remember,on every currency minted, it says in God We Trust,and God seems to have disappeared from this entire Government,unless it's used to bash believers in the head.God Save America.Because we don't seem to have the guts to anymore.

October 12, 2008 07:01 pm at 7:01 pm |
  4. Hillary Ashivaka

Allow me to step outside the topic, aren't Sarah Palin's children supposed to be in school and not campaigning? Can someone help these young kids to have their rights of education instead of campaigning for their mother who is helping the Democtrats in a big way. Obama/Biden sure ticket1

October 12, 2008 07:01 pm at 7:01 pm |
  5. Bum

I sure wish someone would start talking about the 12 million illegals running around the streets of our country. I wonder if Obama will give them a tax cut as well?

October 12, 2008 07:02 pm at 7:02 pm |
  6. Barbara - 65 yr old white female in NC

Why have I been censored over 40 times this past week?

Typical of the republican fear and smear tactics. We need to get the fact out that McCain is STILL friends with G Gordon Liddy (of watergate fame) who spent time in prison and was subverting our very Constitution even way back then.

We are sick of the republican/Rove tactics – we're sick of McCain and Palin lying over and over and over.

I mute the tv or switch channels when either of them is on

October 12, 2008 07:02 pm at 7:02 pm |
  7. Georgia Blue

I'm actually enjoying these posts by CNN. It keeps us dems motivated to get out on November 4th (or earlier) to elect Barak Obama as our next president of the USA! This is no time to get "senioritis" or become complacent. Our work is not done yet!

October 12, 2008 07:02 pm at 7:02 pm |
  8. Citizen

Ohio is the Alabama of the North.

October 12, 2008 07:03 pm at 7:03 pm |
  9. helluva job brownie

The name says it all....LOL

October 12, 2008 07:03 pm at 7:03 pm |
  10. ML - California

What's the problem CNN? You can't post my comment – why?
    Because I make a comment about the Democratic parrty and you can't stand it?
    I am independent and I have no preference, but I do know when something is wrong and I have a right to voice my opinion. Both candidates have done weird stuff and seem to keep on pouring out the hate for each other – do you support that? And like it or not, ACORN is conducting fraudulant voting which IS NOT DEMOCRATIC!

October 12, 2008 07:04 pm at 7:04 pm |
  11. Charlotte

Everyone thought Obama would be a cake walk to the White House? I doubt if he will win. I will write Hillary on my ballot and pray for the best.

October 12, 2008 07:04 pm at 7:04 pm |
  12. Obama is For Snowing the People

Anyone who Farrakhan would call the Messiah will never get my vote. What a bunch of dumb, ignorant, and clueless people on this blog!

October 12, 2008 07:05 pm at 7:05 pm |
  13. Charlotte

If your not pro Obama you won't get posted on CNN....Write Hillary on your ballot and sleep good knowing you never voted for either of these jerks.

October 12, 2008 07:06 pm at 7:06 pm |
  14. George Greek

I am a Republican from Ohio. For the first time ever, I am voting for the Democratic Party and Obama. The last 8 years of the Bush administration has been a disaster in so many ways. I am also very concerned how the Republican Party has been 'hijacked' by the religious right and fundamentalists. This is certainly NOT the Republican Party i've known all my life going back to the 60's. I am giving Obama a chance, largely because he is very Presidential, intelligent, and can bring the country together at this critical point in our history. Obama is half black and half white. This, to me, is symbolic of great change and a microcosm of what America is. A mix of races, cultures, and religions. OBAMA 2008!

October 12, 2008 07:06 pm at 7:06 pm |
  15. KM in OHIO

OHIO FOR OBAMA! OHIO FOR OBAMA!

October 12, 2008 07:07 pm at 7:07 pm |
  16. slowjoe

I wonder if companies move jobs over seas to avoid paying higher taxes (as McCain would have us believe) or if it's for the cheap labor. If the latter is the case, lowering taxes for businesses won't bring them back. As we compete in a global market place, I think there is only one way for our standard of living to go...

October 12, 2008 07:08 pm at 7:08 pm |
  17. liar

1% is within the error margin I can't believe CNN is saying there is a change trying to make news I guess

October 12, 2008 07:08 pm at 7:08 pm |
  18. A Smart One

Zion, of course they are! Race trumps all!

October 12, 2008 07:09 pm at 7:09 pm |
  19. dustin

not very much of a gain, i wish i saw more of that liberal media that everyone talks about

October 12, 2008 07:09 pm at 7:09 pm |
  20. Wise One

Zion has finally proved my point. It is all about race....among blacks.

October 12, 2008 07:11 pm at 7:11 pm |
  21. Knows better

Palin is more intelligent and hard working and accomplished than any woman in Ohio I have ever met– any women who thinks Biden is more on their side is delusional. MOMS FOR MCCAIN/PALIN!!!
    This team represents 12 children, 2 soldiers, 1 special needs, 1 int't adoption + a steelworker AND a millionaire AND a War hero. How in the world could anyone ever choose "plugs" Biden and B. Huessin (I stand with the Muslims) Obama? Are you blind? "D" does not stand for democrat its stands for DUMB. Tax hike in a recession -ARE you crazy? NO economist stands behind this thinking, but then again Obama has done a lot of dumb things: sitting in Rev Wright's pew for 20 years, buddies with Ayer, bought his home with a felon/slumlord's help...he has done nothing right ever! Let a lone ACORN – what a nightmare of system abuse and a threat to our democracy. CNN is steering us all into a socialism nightmare- god help the USA.
    Hey CNN If you do not post my 2 blogs and you let all these Democrat rants go unchecked you are way way worse than I thought.

October 12, 2008 07:11 pm at 7:11 pm |
  22. Denise

My prediction is Obama is not going to win Ohio, but he doesn't need Ohio to win.

October 12, 2008 07:12 pm at 7:12 pm |
  23. Luis

As she clearly stated in the debate with Sen. Biden, "I may not answer the questions that you (Biden) or the moderator will like to hear". This statement was made in a National Debate. What do you think Palin and Sen. McCain will say to the people if they are elected? That is right, NOTHING! It sure seems a bit familiar to me. Ok, I am sorry this is not about Palin. But one must be very careful as she is only one heart beat away. Back to McCain, he himself was part of the scandal Savings and Loan (Keating). Keating's failed company put taxpayers on the hook for $3.4 billion and more than 20,000 Americans lost their savings. John McCain was reprimanded by the bipartisan Senate Ethics Committee, but the ultimate cost of the crisis to American taxpayers reached more than $120 billion. All the talk about PORK spending that McCain accuses Sen. Obama can not compare to the sum of $120 Billion.

October 12, 2008 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |
  24. Lefty Lady

People in Ohio are smarter than that. Cleveland and Columbus are big Dem supporters. I live in Cincinnati which is usually a red city, but I think it's more purple this year. Just depends on what part you're in. OHIO FOR OBAMA!!

October 12, 2008 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |
  25. Ije ced

Americans, when will the time be when a man or woman of color can campaign for public office and there not be an issue of racism, segregationalism etc brought up? Why in this the 21st century does it still matter about the color of your skin. Isnt America considered a melting pot of diversity? The country has been heading into a different and negative atmosphere in the 8 years that the Republicans have been in power, do we still reward them by electing them into office for the next 4 years? I think not. In this economic crisis that we face, I need someone who can be a leader and an inspirer of hopes and dreams that I believe the majority of Americans want. Barack Obama should be given a chance to show that he can be a great leader, who willl put us on the right track to economic gains, ending the war in Iraq, and placing America back up as the clear world leader. I hope Ohio and the rest of America think long and hard on this decision of wheter to look behind to the past of Bush/McCain or to the future and vote Obama/Biden 08/12.

Stop the ignorance America

October 12, 2008 07:14 pm at 7:14 pm |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54