October 12th, 2008

Ohio Poll of polls: McCain, Obama in tight race

McCain is keeping the race close in Ohio.
McCain is keeping the race close in Ohio.

(CNN) – Pennsylvania may be slipping from John McCain’s grasp, but the Republican nominee is keeping the race close in the neighboring battleground state of Ohio – a state that no successful GOP presidential contender has failed to win.

CNN's new Ohio poll of polls shows Barack Obama leading McCain by three points, 49 to 46 percent. Five percent of the state’s voters were unsure about their presidential pick.

The network’s last Ohio poll of polls, released October 9, showed Obama leading McCain by four points, 50 to 46 percent. In the September 21 poll of polls, Obama led McCain by a single point, 47 to 46 percent.

Republican VP nominee Sarah Palin is slated to stop in Ohio Sunday - the third time on the past week week the GOP ticket has visited the state.

Map the candidates' path through the swing states with CNN's Election Tracker

The Ohio general election "poll of polls" consists of four surveys: Ohio Newspaper Poll/University of Cincinnati (October 4-8), ARG (October 4-7), CNN/Time/ORC (October 3-6) and ABC/Washington Post (October 3-5). The poll of polls does not have a sampling error.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain • Ohio • Poll of polls
soundoff (1,327 Responses)
  1. Texas Teacher

Who said Lou Dobbs is an Independent? He is so obviously a Republican. I have noticed this before, but thought perhaps I was being too critical. He is right now being rebroadcasted. I heard about this unfair report about ACORN, but did not see it!

ACORN sounds like a Republican attempt to STOP poor people who have little opportunity to vote get a chance to register! They did this in Florida.

How many poor Whites, Hispanics, and Black voters were cheated of their right to vote? How many people now are being told that if they come to vote that they will be arrested for any outstanding driving tickets on the spot. I hear Dobbs reporting ACORN as though this is all above board! When I have heard the ACORN story refuted by other programs on CNN! What is going on? This is like Glenn Beck! There is NO liberal program, but TWO Conservative Right Wing programs on CNN. Why not just hire Rush Limbaugh? What is CNN doing? Are you trying to compete with FOX News?

I'm disappointed. We all know that there is no such thing as Liberal Media on any television station. But you sure can find the conservative media! And when I hear the Republicans cry Liberal Bias, I want to turn and puke! Again I have to say that Media is BIG BUSINESS! Who supports BIG BUSINESS, pray tell? The Republican Party! Surprise... surprise!

Am I surprised that fear mongering gets played down, while anything negative about Barack Obama is repeated over and over again? McCain gets more air time with his negative ads with CNN running them over and over again than he does on his own dime!

I'm really frustrated! The news media is supposed to do more than just report what they see. It is your job to check into it! It is your job to show both sides! You are the Voice of the People! If we cannot trust you, who can we trust?

I say this again as well, the young people of this country are motivated by Obama! They sense what he says he will do he will try his best to do. He speaks for all of us. He is as close as we will ever have to a man of the People for the People!

The youth of this country know it. One day as the baby boomers grow old, these young people will have the power. And woe be it those who have cheated us of a fair voice in the media! Don't think they will forget! They will not. The times they are achanging.... remember that old saying. We old people are good at old sayings.... because they are very often so true. You reap what you sow, the evil that is being sown by the Rep. Party with the aid of the media is obscene. And WE ARE WATCHING!

October 12, 2008 07:39 pm at 7:39 pm |
  2. Anonymous

I like Maccain but after his choice of VP, I am dissapointed. I try very hard to see some sign of brain activity in Palin that shows she is worth the position of being a VP of USA.....but alas!!!

October 12, 2008 07:41 pm at 7:41 pm |
  3. viola

I'm a white female in my fifties and I have seen my share of racisim..and what is going on with The McCain campains is just that..shame on all of them too think they can fool so many that have seen it before..all that Sarah Palin needs to add to her wardrobe is a sheet..And bringing her children to these rally's to send them the message that it's ok..shame on all of them..

October 12, 2008 07:41 pm at 7:41 pm |
  4. Lula

Go McCain/Palin. Former liberal Democrat voting Republican. Am also a 100% Puerto Rican from New York. Vaya!

October 12, 2008 07:42 pm at 7:42 pm |
  5. Kim J

Obama is for UNITING of the PEOPLE, can you post the link to the newspaper article outlining the layoffs at Hensley & Co. I don't think there have been any layoffs there.

October 12, 2008 07:42 pm at 7:42 pm |
  6. cnews

I wouldn't vote for John McCain...strictly becasue of Sarah Palin. If he would have made a different choice? Maybe.

October 12, 2008 07:42 pm at 7:42 pm |
  7. Marie

Typical Obama supporters, calling everyone racist and invoking Hitler. Exactly were does that fall in with the your leader wanting to unite the country. Just curios

October 12, 2008 07:43 pm at 7:43 pm |
  8. Jeff

The headline link to this article says: "Ticker: McCain edges closer in key state" ... but the content of the article itself it says that Obama is actually pulling slightly away over the past few weeks. I guess "Obama pulls away slightly in Ohio" does not make for a good headline, since that's the situation in many states.

October 12, 2008 07:44 pm at 7:44 pm |
  9. zuq

I'm moving to Ohio. The economy must be booming there! What a joke? Don't let CNN fool you. The people of Ohio will not let us down.

CNN PLEASE POST THIS!

October 12, 2008 07:44 pm at 7:44 pm |
  10. James

October 12, 2008 07:45 pm at 7:45 pm |
  11. James

I'm a republican living in Ohio. I'm voting for Obama this election, He obviously cares for this country with his vibe of faith and hope. He's what we need. John mccain is too old, and plain just self explanatory. She is not ready to be the vp much less president. I hope thats obvious to everyone else. Obama will lead by a landslide.

October 12, 2008 07:45 pm at 7:45 pm |
  12. Afro

McCain and Palin 2008

October 12, 2008 07:47 pm at 7:47 pm |
  13. OldUncleTom

The good news is, if the current electoral map holds, both Ohio and Florida can go to McCain without changing anything.

Since both states were instrumental in the Bush debacle, this is very good news. Maybe by the next cycle, these questionable states will have reliable election mechanisms in place again.

October 12, 2008 07:47 pm at 7:47 pm |
  14. Knows better

Reality check - IF McCain/Palin wanted to play racism they could simply bring up ODINGA and the FACT that Obama went, as a Senator, to Kenya to support and "community-organize" for his cousin the radical Muslim !! but they do not -and NO ONE ever talks about it except the truly informed .....CNN is a cowardly biased bunch of reality skewing Bush bashing liberals. You KNOW NOT the courage that runs through the veins of McCain or other honorable Veterans.

You know what? In NObama's neighborhood lived Farakhan and Ayers THAT IS NOT A COINCIDENCE -THAT IS A HEADQUARTERS.
    Report on it ? no, not CNN -Coward News Network.

October 12, 2008 07:47 pm at 7:47 pm |
  15. Average American

Ohio must be half full of idiots.

October 12, 2008 07:48 pm at 7:48 pm |
  16. bob

I have a bumper sticker above my Ohio plate that says "Graduated 894 out of 899–JOHN McCAIN: TOO DUMB to be my President."

October 12, 2008 07:48 pm at 7:48 pm |
  17. Mrs. Texas Teacher

Interesting.... you don't want those messages even put up for review....

October 12, 2008 07:49 pm at 7:49 pm |
  18. Cheryl

It's sad that a few racists people will be the cause of 4 more years of Bush.

October 12, 2008 07:49 pm at 7:49 pm |
  19. Kathy

The simple question to all in Ohio, with small towns with no jobs, to malls that have shuttered doors, Main Streets with boarded up store fronts, with parking meters but no cars, with coffee shops with few people standing in line, with kids being transferred from private schools to public schools – have the Republicans called lately and said they feel sorry for you and your situation? Of course not. You are only a statistic and when the election is over your job will be overseas if not now but shortly. Have we forgotten NAFTA? Who pushed for NAFTA? It sure wasn't Obama! It's nice to be referred to as a Battleground State but has it helped anyone in Ohio lately? Get real. What do you owe your allegiance to? To be able to say you're a Republican? Has it helped put food on the table, fuel in your oil tank, money in your 401K? Republicans side with big business – have in the past and will never change.

October 12, 2008 07:49 pm at 7:49 pm |
  20. Who are you calling?????

Who in the world are you polling? I am a registered voter and I have a land line phone. I have never been polled in this election process. I know that more poeple are Obama supporters than what is being reported. I am appalled at what this campaign has become. I am ready for this to be over.

October 12, 2008 07:50 pm at 7:50 pm |
  21. Richard A. Spomer

To those of you
    Obama is for UNITING of the PEOPLE:

Only in your mind do you think where the record of Obama has not help create or keep manufacturing industries operating in the US…

So if you feebly minded souls would open your eyes to the fact Obama has NO record to support him all he has is a law degree which allows him too lie and get away with it.

The way to notice a lawyer in a room full of students is the lawyer will say he knows everything when if fact he doesn't know anything! His lips just keep moving.

October 12, 2008 07:50 pm at 7:50 pm |
  22. Denise

CNN why won't you post my comments??? Are you afraid of the truth?

McCain's performance at his rally on Friday, where he 'defended' Barack Obama was a COMPLETE set up designed to improve McCain's image. His poll numbers have been sliding because of his and Palins KKK – like rallies and McCain had to do this. One guy even read from a piece of paper. It was a complete act, so it should not count toward improving his image. For weeks McCain stood there and grinned like an idiot while people were shouting out 'terrorist' and 'kill him' and he did nothing to stop it. He's only acting now to benefit himself. We're not buying your act McCain!

October 12, 2008 07:50 pm at 7:50 pm |
  23. Someone in Canada

TO ALL THE UNDECIDED VOTERS IN AMERICA. Most of us 30 million or so Canadians are hoping and praying that Barack Obama will win your election. PLEASE....we beg you to vote for him. The choice is so obvious to us. We are astounded that this race is so close and that John McCain is inching up in the polls once again. If Barack Obama were to run for office in Canada, he would win in a landslide. Save your country and save the world. We are so afraid that you will make the wrong choice.

October 12, 2008 07:51 pm at 7:51 pm |
  24. My Word is My Bond

Where is the penalty to the McCain campaing for Sarah Palin's LIE that Obama encouraged the Iraqi's to delay signing an agreement of transistion of power until after the election?

I'mnot saying it is right but this is why some men show violence and agression towards some women ... Sarah Palin is allowed to get away with saying anything without reprecussions simply because she wears a skirt.

CNN, NBC, FOX, CBS and anyone who reported Ms. Palin's accusations have a duty to the American public to REVEAL her

1.) ERROR
    2.) MISTATEMENT
    3.) MISTAKE
    4.) LIE

or whatever euphymism you want to call it. When politicians mislead people, their personal REPUTATIONS must be diminished. At some point, they have used up all CREDIBILITY.

October 12, 2008 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  25. Raul Fernandes Sobrinho

Shawn of Michigan:
    Where do you live in last 8 years? On Mars?
    How Democrats can be guilty for this mess? Clinton left a good surplus. The moron you have voted for twice – is he innocent to put the world in the worst economic crisis since another Republican, mr. Hoover, created one in twenties?
    Why Republicans don't study a little more?

October 12, 2008 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54