October 12th, 2008

Ohio Poll of polls: McCain, Obama in tight race

McCain is keeping the race close in Ohio.
McCain is keeping the race close in Ohio.

(CNN) – Pennsylvania may be slipping from John McCain’s grasp, but the Republican nominee is keeping the race close in the neighboring battleground state of Ohio – a state that no successful GOP presidential contender has failed to win.

CNN's new Ohio poll of polls shows Barack Obama leading McCain by three points, 49 to 46 percent. Five percent of the state’s voters were unsure about their presidential pick.

The network’s last Ohio poll of polls, released October 9, showed Obama leading McCain by four points, 50 to 46 percent. In the September 21 poll of polls, Obama led McCain by a single point, 47 to 46 percent.

Republican VP nominee Sarah Palin is slated to stop in Ohio Sunday - the third time on the past week week the GOP ticket has visited the state.

Map the candidates' path through the swing states with CNN's Election Tracker

The Ohio general election "poll of polls" consists of four surveys: Ohio Newspaper Poll/University of Cincinnati (October 4-8), ARG (October 4-7), CNN/Time/ORC (October 3-6) and ABC/Washington Post (October 3-5). The poll of polls does not have a sampling error.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain • Ohio • Poll of polls
soundoff (1,327 Responses)
  1. Knows better

Hurting? Wait 'till your taxes go UP and you lose your jobs because employers FIRE YOU when they will not be able to afford you or the government healthcare THEY will have to pay for-- Wait till you stand in line for crappy DMV style sanctioned healthcare...wait till Obama takes from all corporations until they lay off every last one of you uneducated democrat idiots lucky enought to have a job in the first palce!! LAY OFFS ARE PREICTED TO RISE with your Obamanomics --read up on this, it is called Socialism. What is next? Government rationed fuel, electricity, cars, clothing, food, day care? What a nightmare your guy is – American will ne a Welfare Nation if you elect this guy, I do not care what color he thinks he is really, nor do I care that he prays to Alah and considers the Muslim call to prayer the "prettiest sound on eartth" (obama quote) I DO care that my 3 African American employees will be LAID OFF when my taxes go up.
    Saved a BROTHER'S JOB --STAY SANE WITH MCCAIN!!! we are the land of the Free an the home of the Brave, Not the Land of the Handout and the Home of the Loser!! McCain will get us through.

October 12, 2008 08:22 pm at 8:22 pm |
  2. Dan

I agree with Nick Shaw. Is the reason whites voted for John Kerry, George Bush, Al Gore, Bill Clinton, John McCain, etc. was because they were white, or was it because they believed in their policies and directions for the country.

As a black person, who has followed this election through multiple venues (books, websites, sunday shows, cable news networks), I am well-informed and educated enough to make the decision as to who is the best presdential candidate. I have done it in the past 4 elections and did the same this year. So, I recent anyone saying that my vote for Obama is based on race. It is based on all the information I have ascertained in the past 18 months. Only a ignorant person would think all people vote based on race.

October 12, 2008 08:23 pm at 8:23 pm |
  3. Trasa, Texas

So! There still 6 other battle ground states McBush has to hold to win and right now Obama is ahead in those.

Go Obama/Biden

October 12, 2008 08:24 pm at 8:24 pm |
  4. Paul

Gas prices decline every fall, genius. They add more butane - for winter months - and the cost to produce decreases.

Vote for experience; Vote for McCain!

October 12, 2008 08:25 pm at 8:25 pm |
  5. Trasa, Texas

Oh, I also want to add, Obama is campaigning under the cuff in Texas, I see his air time he bought on my cable channel. I think he's trying to turn this state if possible under the McBush/Palin noses. Either that or he's just trying to waste money before the election is over with. It would be great if he could. Tired of these Republicans.

October 12, 2008 08:26 pm at 8:26 pm |
  6. Stacy

if people in ohio would actually do some research, it probably wouldn't be so hard to make a decision as to who is the better candidate.

October 12, 2008 08:28 pm at 8:28 pm |
  7. Bill, N.M.

Why hasn't Palin been on "This Week, or Face the Nation, etc" why isn't the media talking about her abuse of power (a crime), why are they giving McCain more coverage?

October 12, 2008 08:29 pm at 8:29 pm |
  8. Joi

I am a white, female age 38. I am voting for Barack Obama. His skin color has nothing to do with that, because in God's eyes, we are all the same.
    I have always liked what soon to be President Obama has had to say and what he stands for.
    Ohio and the rest of the country needs change. If you are still undecided, read "The Audacity of Hope". It reconfirmed what I believed. Hands down Barack Obama is the better candidate.
    At least with Obama we have hope for change.

October 12, 2008 08:30 pm at 8:30 pm |
  9. sandee in Portland

@mstran...I also have looked at Obama's voting record and what McCain says is not true. What are you doing, looking at his voting record on McCain's site? I am one of those people that will pay a higher tax on Obama's plan. Doesn't bother me. I don't mind paying for GOOD government. I plan on voting for the most intelligent person we've had running for President in many years who surrounds himself with and takes suggestions from some of the most intelligent politicans in office, and is ready for the 21st century.

I can't fathom voting for a candidate that who's stuck in the past, is a blatant liar and has surround himself with the poorest choice of people including those that run his campaign. A campaign is only as strong as its leader and McCain has shown that he is not strong.

October 12, 2008 08:31 pm at 8:31 pm |
  10. bill for barack

I live in Ohio and I can promise you one thing. McWallace is in for one very disappointing awakening on election day.Ohio is going Obama. I have talked to a number of independents and Republicans who are deciding in favor of Obama.
    The economy and the most vicious, racist campaign in our nation's history on the part of McWallace and Governor Hitler have made the difference.

October 12, 2008 08:32 pm at 8:32 pm |
  11. Chris

What is sad is that if Obama were a white man this would not be even close. The reallity is this counrty is so divided on race and political affiliation that Obama needs double digit leads in polls to be truly ahead. The republican party has served to divide this nation once more.. Quess what Republicans on Sept 11th all americans were attacked not just dems.

October 12, 2008 08:32 pm at 8:32 pm |
  12. texas democrat

Most black people have always been democrats no matter who was running, so please America do not play the race game with us now that we have a qualified Black candidate! Just go out and vote!

October 12, 2008 08:32 pm at 8:32 pm |
  13. Mike in Toronto

The Republicans deserve to lose Ohio. They have taken it for granted for so long and have done nothing to help that beleaguered state. Many of us here in Canada just can't understand why it's a close race at all. Perhaps we just don't appreciate how effective the Republicans have been at leveraging fear, intolerance and even bigotry into a power base.Are there really THAT many Americans who are blind to what the past 8 years have cost that wonderful country? Does racial fear and distrust really trump all in the U.S.?

October 12, 2008 08:36 pm at 8:36 pm |
  14. Pam

When I first learned about Obama, I thought he would be very interesting to watch as a future leader. I do believe that still, but Not this year. i do not believe he is ready to be President in 2008 since he only served 140 days in public office and did not commit in his voting record whatsoever. I also have serious concerns about the Acorn situation and his participation in that organization both as a man who sued banks for the benefit of Acorn and a man who gave more than 800,000 to attract voters–and their loyalty perhaps. The lack of disclosure of Obama's medical records, education records, BIRTH CERTIFICATE, proof of citizenship-why NOT disclose these records? What is being hidden? The judgement regarding no stipulations to sitting down with our enemies, and the tax increases that will absolutely cripple us, by creating a welfare type system that penalizes any people who are trying to run small businesses, hire employees, pay their overhead and have something left to live on just boggles the mind. I do NOT believe he is ready. I would happily vote for him down the road if he becomes more seasoned in world politics, unchanging in his commitments, and starts looking at the people he has surrounded himself with to discern who is for America in that crowd, and who is for him/herself. I VOTE McCain this time, because I believe there is NO hidden agenda with John McCain. And I am totally disgusted with the media coverage of this race to the Presidency. Any thought of fair and unbiased reporting of the media has totally gone out the window–what happened to journalistic ethics? I won't be shocked if my comment never makes it on this board, either.

October 12, 2008 08:37 pm at 8:37 pm |
  15. Jerome

I think this is getting real bad when everyone is talking bad about each other. Let get back to the issue the way we are leaving today. Not about Obama or McCain it's about the PEOPLE.

Thanks to all
    Jerome

October 12, 2008 08:38 pm at 8:38 pm |
  16. Darnell

Let me tell you something the mainstream media is not...the polls this election year may be more inacurate than any other year in history. What the media is not telling you is that a majority of people polled are inner city; people that have learned to harmoniously live with one another regardless of race. The United States is made up of many small towns throughout that very segregated and that do not reflect the same point differential in the inner-city polls. In the past inner city polling has been a fairly accurate reflection of how small town America was voting but this year is an unpresidented election with one candidate being black and nobody yet knows how the segregated population will influence the inner-city counties. In short, Obama better have a strong lead in the polls to offset small town American counties. Before anyone labels me racist, I'm only telling you what the media will not.

October 12, 2008 08:39 pm at 8:39 pm |
  17. Ginger in Texas

Hello, Ohio!
    Please vote for change. I trust Obama to get our government straightened out and back on the right track! (This might take a little while to do since our government is in such a mess right now!)

If John McCain won I would be deathly afraid if something happened to him and Sarah Palin was then President. She hardly makes a coherent sentence when she speaks. I think the United States would really be in trouble with her as a president.

Come on, Ohio, get out and vote for a better government than George Bush has given us. Vote for change. Vote for Obama. I am a 67 year old white grandma and I am definitely voting for Obama. In fact, I will be going to vote during our early voting period here in Texas!

October 12, 2008 08:39 pm at 8:39 pm |
  18. sansar820

NO HOWWW NO WAYYYYY NO MCSAMEEE GO OHIO FOR OBOMA/BIDEN08

October 12, 2008 08:39 pm at 8:39 pm |
  19. jack

Colin Powell for President –not Barrack Hussian Obama

October 12, 2008 08:39 pm at 8:39 pm |
  20. S. A. Tenney

McCain/Palin - Frick and Frack. What a team!! Her knowledge about foreign policy is 0. Her knowledge about the Supreme Court is 0. Her knowledge about anything else is not worthy of reporting - she's just plain dumb!!!

If McCain loses this election is because of Palin.

Obama/Biden 2008

October 12, 2008 08:39 pm at 8:39 pm |
  21. peggy

Anyone who wants to get this country back on track better and should vote for change.We already know what it will mean if we dont.But dont be misled ,Bush has tied the hands of our next president but Obama is smart enough to get us back on track quicker and better than McCain/palin They scare me .

October 12, 2008 08:40 pm at 8:40 pm |
  22. CharlotteNC

Palin, why are you kids in school? Are you charging the state of Alaska for private tutors for them too? Is the state of Alaska paying to fly you and you family around the US? Are you getting reimbursed for monies spent by public financing (aka taxpayer) dollars? What an abuse of power!!!

October 12, 2008 08:40 pm at 8:40 pm |
  23. CharlotteNC

Why aren't your kids in school?

October 12, 2008 08:41 pm at 8:41 pm |
  24. Georgie from Ohio

I Live in Ohio And I Know ALOT of people. We ALL voted Hillary, Now WE ALL WILL Vote McCain! I don't know any one who is voteing for the No Experience Obama. He organized ACOZRn in his community. Not impressive presidential credentials. BTW I, nor anyone I know has ever been polled once!!! So Go Figure!!!!!

October 12, 2008 08:41 pm at 8:41 pm |
  25. La Raza

Don't trust the polls, Obama is whippin McCain's you know what.

October 12, 2008 08:41 pm at 8:41 pm |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54