October 12th, 2008

Ohio Poll of polls: McCain, Obama in tight race

McCain is keeping the race close in Ohio.
McCain is keeping the race close in Ohio.

(CNN) – Pennsylvania may be slipping from John McCain’s grasp, but the Republican nominee is keeping the race close in the neighboring battleground state of Ohio – a state that no successful GOP presidential contender has failed to win.

CNN's new Ohio poll of polls shows Barack Obama leading McCain by three points, 49 to 46 percent. Five percent of the state’s voters were unsure about their presidential pick.

The network’s last Ohio poll of polls, released October 9, showed Obama leading McCain by four points, 50 to 46 percent. In the September 21 poll of polls, Obama led McCain by a single point, 47 to 46 percent.

Republican VP nominee Sarah Palin is slated to stop in Ohio Sunday - the third time on the past week week the GOP ticket has visited the state.

Map the candidates' path through the swing states with CNN's Election Tracker

The Ohio general election "poll of polls" consists of four surveys: Ohio Newspaper Poll/University of Cincinnati (October 4-8), ARG (October 4-7), CNN/Time/ORC (October 3-6) and ABC/Washington Post (October 3-5). The poll of polls does not have a sampling error.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain • Ohio • Poll of polls
soundoff (1,327 Responses)
  1. Loraine Wells

Perhaps some of McCain's friendly Senators should go to McCain and tell him how he is destroying the country with his hate mongering–that he and Palin should "chill out." Only a desperate politician would act that way.

October 12, 2008 09:11 pm at 9:11 pm |
  2. John

McCain was not my first choice, but since Obama has become so negative in his attacks against McCain and Palin, I am leaning Republican. Obama's lack of executive experience makes him less qualified than Palin for the job. She has shown great poise in spite of all the pathetic personal and partisan attacks on her and all women. This will be the second time I voted for a woman on the national ticket as I voted for Mondale-Ferraro in 84.

On the economy, it's clearly the Democrats, who have been in control the past two years, that are guilty for this financial mess. Yes, we will emerge ok sometime in the future. But the Democrats are too stubborn to admit this is all their fault - the fact that Dodd, Pelosi, Frank, Reid and Obama continue to arrogantly act like they are above it all and are totally innocent is a big turn off. I know Fanny Mae and Freddie Mac gave Obama over $100k. Why don't the guilty admit it? Since they will not, why should I trust them with another 2 years. We need a real change. So I am possibly going to vote straight Republican for the first time in my life.

October 12, 2008 09:11 pm at 9:11 pm |
  3. Kentucky Woman

People, please vote for change. Palin and McCain are con artists. Sarah Palin is just worried about herself, not the country, and John McCain has flipped flopped and doesn't know which way to turn even in his campaign; he's so confused. Please vote for the sane and rational ticket: Obama and Biden '08. We can't afford the same Bush policies. Don't let them fool you–They are the same!

October 12, 2008 09:12 pm at 9:12 pm |
  4. Uche Enyioko

Ohio vote for John Macain if 4 more years of Bush policies is good for you guys and vote for Sen.Obama if you want change

October 12, 2008 09:16 pm at 9:16 pm |
  5. Victor

As a non-American person of color I just want to jump in and say that no matter the outcome of this election I think that Americans have demonstrated a willingness to be democratic that possibly no other country in the world can.

The poor image of America in the world is clearly a function of your politicians and your media. Ordinary Americans seem to be level headed and practical – no matter what their political leanings.

Yes you do have some ugly souls in your midst but overall I for my part think that some of my respect for America has been restored through this election cycle.

October 12, 2008 09:18 pm at 9:18 pm |
  6. linda from South Dakota

MCCAIN,,, TIME TO RETIRE, BEFORE ITS TOO LATE,, MAKE YOUR APPT,,,PALIN? GO BACK WHERE U CAME FROM,, AND TAKE CARE OF YOUR CHIT,,, WE DONT NEED YOU HERE,,,,,, LIES ARENT ACCEP[TED IN AMERICA,,,, OBAMA..BIDEN.. 08

October 12, 2008 09:20 pm at 9:20 pm |
  7. EqualBranchesofGovernment

I'm a Republican and voted for George Bush in the 2004 election......but I'll be voting for Barack Obama a Democrat for the first time.

Senator McCain....has not shown me what he will do to bring about the changes we need to get our country out of this fiscal crisis.

October 12, 2008 09:21 pm at 9:21 pm |
  8. Galen

Today's Headline: "Russia test-fired three long-range missiles on Sunday and pronounced its nuclear deterrent strong in a show of force that experts said had not been seen since the days of the Cold War." Source: Reuters

Personally, I don't mind "pinching pennies" during an economic crisis...It doesn't really bother me to curtail my personal spending. On the other hand, this sort of news about Russia does bother me. We need someone who can deal with these kind of countries, not someone that just wants to talk to them. Putin is hoping for an Obama Admin, so that he can do whatever he pleases - just ask Georgia. Let's not let this happen.

October 12, 2008 09:22 pm at 9:22 pm |
  9. susan

i'm undecided voter please give me 3 things why I should vote for obama without mention the word "CHANGE AND BUSH"..THANKS

October 12, 2008 09:23 pm at 9:23 pm |
  10. foreignobserver

Republicans = hate and anger.
    People all over the world are suppoprting Obama. He is something new on the dirty politics. The best American minds are with Obama: Woody Allen,. Bob Dylan, Spielberg, Scorsese, David Lynch, Stevie Wonder, Bruce Springsteen, Eddie Vedder, James Taylor, Tom Hanks, Spike Lee, Paul Austen and so on.... Obama will win!

October 12, 2008 09:24 pm at 9:24 pm |
  11. Rich

For all of those folks who keep saying that we've had 8 years of Republican control so therefore we should elect a Democrat as President.... the last 2 years have seen Democrats in complete control of both houses of Congress....so, are you better off today that you were 2 years ago? Please note that Barack Obama has been in Congess those 2 years with his own party in complete control....and yet he has accomplished NOTHING...proposed NOTHING...why expect him to all of a sudden do ANYTHING now?

McCain has a record of accomplishment, including sponsoring major pieces of legislation with even the most liberal Democrats in Congress...McCain-Feingold campaign finance reform....McCain-Kennedy immmigration reform, etc. McCain has proven ability to work with Democrats, who figure to be in control of Congess again.

Someone please name ONE major piece of legislation that Obama has sponsored while his party has been in complete control of Congress the last 2 years.

He is a bunch of hot air, more interested in winning for the sake of his own ego, couldn't care less about governing now or over the last 2 years. That's not change people, just another empty suit.

October 12, 2008 09:27 pm at 9:27 pm |
  12. Stew

Come on Pennsylvania! Vote for McCain/Palin! We know they will work tirelessly to make our country great and get us back working! Vote for the guy/gal with the honest politics that have reformist records! Don't gamble your children's futures with Obama!

October 12, 2008 09:30 pm at 9:30 pm |
  13. Richard

I am white and I am voting for McCain/Palin. I am a racist it seems but that is better than seeing my country be lead by the Barack/Michelle terrorist/anti-American group that will be in-place if they win. I seems that the Obama supports are afraid to look at the person they are voting for. They only hear what he says which means notning if you do not mean it!

McCain/Palin 08
    Obama/Biden – Never in my lifetime!

October 12, 2008 09:30 pm at 9:30 pm |
  14. Mgrooms

I was at the Obama rally on Friday in Columbus, Ohio. I got there early just so I could get a good view. I began a conversation with an individual who was claiming to be an "Independent." About half-way through Obama's speech, he called his son an told him he has "been converted" to being an Obama supporter. This mn was an African American who had voted for Bush in 2000 and 2004.

October 12, 2008 09:31 pm at 9:31 pm |
  15. Ohians are not pawns

In order to win Ohio, the candidates are going to prove that they understand what kind of pain the residents of that state have gone through. Obama seems to feel it, possibly because he and his family have actually undergone financial turmoil themselves. To McCain it almost seems like an abstraction and his speeches seem like pandering. I think Ohians can tell the difference and that there will be a "November Surprise" in favor of Barack Obama, who has laid out a few good, concrete ideas for salvaging our small businesses.

October 12, 2008 09:33 pm at 9:33 pm |
  16. Nervous in Texas

Ohio, what are you doing. The Republicans will continue to give tax breaks to companies that ship jobs overseas. You've already lost so many of your factories and you are now going to allow the republican hate machine to use you to get their goals of keeping the oval office. I know you think Palin is the bomb, but really you think you would want her and her stupidity to run this nation when we are in as much trouble as we are? McCain is not a well man, he's 73,74,75,76 years old. Please think long and hard. Look beyond the color of the man's skin! Please put aside your hatred and do the right thing for this country. He's not a muslim, and he's not a terrorist, and he's not the bad guy.

October 12, 2008 09:33 pm at 9:33 pm |
  17. from nj

I am an Independent voter, deciding (decided) on who to vote based on facts. I am really shocked to see McCain/Palin ticket is trailing by ONLY 6-8 points. Based on the facts, they should be trailing by at least 50 or more points. I am afraid / scared that if McCain/Palin got elected, our country will be a laughing matter for the rest of the world.

Obama/Biden for '08 through '15... then Clinton/xyz for '16 through '23.

That is the only way for us to recapture our lost strength and respect in the world. It hurts to hear from the president of Iran, on Larry King Live, who said "American Empire is near its end". :-(( Think how much did we loose in last EIGHT years. Four more of those EIGHT years may bring us to a point where we may need to get AID from Pakistan.

October 12, 2008 09:33 pm at 9:33 pm |
  18. banderson

I hope the American people are not fooled by this obvious attempt by the McCain camp to manipulate this election. I want to see smart voters, not ignorant ones. Like Obama stated about the restaurant owner, how many times can you bang your head before you get enough. Wake up America, it is time for a change.

October 12, 2008 09:34 pm at 9:34 pm |
  19. Ohians are not pawns

In order to win Ohio, the candidates are going to prove that they understand what kind of pain the residents of that state have gone through. Obama seems to feel it, possibly because he and his family have actually undergone financial turmoil themselves. To McCain it almost seems like an abstraction and his speeches seem like pandering. I think Ohians can tell the difference. There may be a "November Surprise" in favor of Barack Obama, who has laid out a few good, concrete ideas for salvaging our small businesses.

October 12, 2008 09:34 pm at 9:34 pm |
  20. Ron was a REP now a DEM

Do we want a person that violated Ethics Rules in line to be president?

Impeach McCain / Palin now

Vote Obama / Biden

October 12, 2008 09:35 pm at 9:35 pm |
  21. working person

i choose not to vote for mccain. 8 houses and 13 cars, and wealth beyond any working person. he does not connect with this working person. obama is not without risk, but considering his age and the possibility of palin, especially with that flap with 8 republicans and 4 democrats in alaska saying she defied the ethics. and that keaton thing with mccain. i don't think mccain and palin really represent a change they say. and, exciting the crowds with kill obama and shoot obama doesn't do anything to bring this country together.

October 12, 2008 09:38 pm at 9:38 pm |
  22. Brenda C

Watch out for Acorn Ohio they will be on the way Monday morning. That is if they aren't already there yet? Probably got plenty of smokes and extra cash on them ready to dispence for just a little vote.

October 12, 2008 09:39 pm at 9:39 pm |
  23. Linda from Penna.

John McCain said he is going to kick Obama's butt Wednesday night. and then going to campaign 24-7, That I would like to see. He is old and he act's old, Palin is a no nothing and she definately acts like she no's nothing.Him and Palin actually think alike. We need some new blood who thinks young. I would rather have a young intelligent black man than a dumb young white women, or an old man with old ideas. Palin continues to say that Obama and Biden keep talking about the past. What does she think she does every time they talk about McCain being a prisoner of war. Him and thousands of other were prisoners.They need to turn the page. I hope the people in Ohio come to their senses like the one's in Pa. did. And if they put another republician in office better never hear them on TV complaining how bad the economy is. They will deserve whatever they get. Just to let you know I am not a kid, I am 66years old, a retired RN and I believe we need change.

October 12, 2008 09:40 pm at 9:40 pm |
  24. Anonymous

Looks like the "Octobere Surprise" is getting ready to be revealed as select Americans are receiving sealed envelopes this weekend from Kenya with certified birth certificates showing Obama was born in Kenya.

Finally......we get to see a real certificate...maybe.

Bye-Bye Obama, if you think not being elected is bad, try deportation.

October 12, 2008 09:41 pm at 9:41 pm |
  25. Ellie, Boyds MD

McGRUMP is NOT gaining ground? WHAT kind of reporting is this CNN? Where the losing candidate did not pick up a percentage point? Is that called gaining ground now??? Geeeeez Louise.....

I find it IRONIC that the guy in the lead loses one point and the guy whose behind DID NOT gain a point and that's considered a gain.

Go figure, that must be the "new math" the McCain-Palin ticket is going by these days.

October 12, 2008 09:42 pm at 9:42 pm |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54