October 12th, 2008

Ohio Poll of polls: McCain, Obama in tight race

McCain is keeping the race close in Ohio.
McCain is keeping the race close in Ohio.

(CNN) – Pennsylvania may be slipping from John McCain’s grasp, but the Republican nominee is keeping the race close in the neighboring battleground state of Ohio – a state that no successful GOP presidential contender has failed to win.

CNN's new Ohio poll of polls shows Barack Obama leading McCain by three points, 49 to 46 percent. Five percent of the state’s voters were unsure about their presidential pick.

The network’s last Ohio poll of polls, released October 9, showed Obama leading McCain by four points, 50 to 46 percent. In the September 21 poll of polls, Obama led McCain by a single point, 47 to 46 percent.

Republican VP nominee Sarah Palin is slated to stop in Ohio Sunday - the third time on the past week week the GOP ticket has visited the state.

Map the candidates' path through the swing states with CNN's Election Tracker

The Ohio general election "poll of polls" consists of four surveys: Ohio Newspaper Poll/University of Cincinnati (October 4-8), ARG (October 4-7), CNN/Time/ORC (October 3-6) and ABC/Washington Post (October 3-5). The poll of polls does not have a sampling error.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain • Ohio • Poll of polls
soundoff (1,327 Responses)
  1. Don Enss

I have a tax question if someone familiar with tax credits can help. I understand Senator McCain is offering a $5,000 tax credit but do you only get the full amount if your tax is equal to or exceeds that. For example on the 2007 return, if a married couple filing jointly with two children had a combined gross income of $50,000, they would have taxable income of $25,700 ( Exemptions = $13,600 plus standard deduction of $10,700). which would give them a tax of $3,076. So they would not received the full $5,000. And if this family only had a combined gross income of $24,300, they would not receive any credit. Is this correct?
    Thank you.

October 12, 2008 09:42 pm at 9:42 pm |
  2. Kevin M.

Let's keep this simple. The current president has been in office for eight years. He was propelled into office in 2000 on the wave of employing divisive social issues despite a thriving economy. Eight years later, this president and his party's inattention to the management of the economy has left the country in a deep mess.
    The choice- a new representative of the current party extolling the same methods for managing the economy or the other option representing the party that instilled economic policies that led to a budget surplus and good job growth in the late 90's.
    Unless one is hopelessly ideologically attached to the current "conservative" philosophy, how can there be a choice? Being able to feed your family and find gainful employment should take priority over judging whether a person can marry someone of the same sex or legally obtain an abortion....or the color of someone's skin.

October 12, 2008 09:44 pm at 9:44 pm |
  3. Mick

I want someone who actually remembers what is like to struggle every day making the important decisions. I have more faith in their thought process being on necessity and reality rather than some other ideological nonsense. I certainly don't care to vote for someone who has more houses and cars than they can recall with tens of millions in the bank.

I really feel sorry for people that are actually voting on issues like race, terrorism and socialism (boogeyman!). The USA was at it's economic peak with a blend of capitalism and socialism and activism. Oh well, I guess some find having fools gold better than having no gold at all.

October 12, 2008 09:44 pm at 9:44 pm |
  4. rl

WAKE UP... THE DEMOCRATS SAY THEY ARE THE CHANGE FOR THIS COUNTRY.. THE DEMOCRATS HAVE HAD CONTROL OF THE SENATE AND THE CONGRESS NOW FOR 2 YEARS.. THEY HAVE DONE NOTHING.... THATS RIGHT ...NOTHING. SO BEFORE YOU BLAME THE REPUBLICAN PARTY FOR THE ECONOMIC PROBLEMS OF THIS COUNTRY.. LOOK WHO COULD HAVE DONE SOMETHING,,,BUT THEY DID NOTHING.

October 12, 2008 09:45 pm at 9:45 pm |
  5. bob

GO MCCAIN/PALIN!!!!
    i would not trust obama in the white house at all.
    GO MCCAIN!!!

October 12, 2008 09:47 pm at 9:47 pm |
  6. sal

Obama Biden have won already

This is just something to make news.

Clearly Obama will win OH, after all the job loss.

To Rick Shaw, Blacks supported most DEms in the 90 % or above range. and your point! Clinton only got 39% of the white vote.
    and you point!

October 12, 2008 09:47 pm at 9:47 pm |
  7. Marl

I don't care about those idiots voting for MacCain and Palin. If this ticket wins (God forbid) I want to see them suffer more and more especially the Ohio!!!! ha. ha. ha. No JObs!!!! No House!!! Nothing!

October 12, 2008 09:48 pm at 9:48 pm |
  8. TS

Following up on Captain America 6:44 pm comment, I totally agree, there is at least a 1% margin of error, making the change from 50 to 49 statistically meaningless. Seriously, is there anyone working at CNN who has any understanding of statistics, or is it just headlines for headlines sake. Your post and link off the home page are a journalistic joke.

October 12, 2008 09:49 pm at 9:49 pm |
  9. Lucky Akponi ,ATL

But did John McCain knows that he is too old for the this job ? Senetor , what i saw last week from Palin and some of your supporters, i was scare like maybe they are planning to kill Barack or something,well, if that is the case,somebody tell Senetor McCain to better advice his people.

October 12, 2008 09:49 pm at 9:49 pm |
  10. TJ Johnson

Come on, Ohioans, vote for sanity and stay red with McCain. You know the socialist/Marxist Obama is not right for our freedom-loving country.

October 12, 2008 09:50 pm at 9:50 pm |
  11. Nathan

Ohioans when your kids get hungry feed them the newspaper with the Bill Ayers headline on it. When they ask you why they have to eat that tell them because you focused on nonsense instead of their future.

October 12, 2008 09:53 pm at 9:53 pm |
  12. mike

vote Obama/Biden 2008!!!!!!!!!!

October 12, 2008 09:53 pm at 9:53 pm |
  13. ER

Live in Florida , tired of he same. McCain is doing a horrible job on his campaign. I had some respect for the man. The fear factor is not working though. People are a lot smarter and paying attention. How can you want to lead this country and teach rascim? If you truly believe in GOD you would not speak the evil words that have been spoken by McCain/Palin. His campaign is corrupt and outdated. Americans have come a long way but I am sure he wouldnb't understand that. My entire family is voting for OBAMA. Yes, all 30 of us. :)

God Bless!

OBAMA 08

October 12, 2008 09:54 pm at 9:54 pm |
  14. denise

Ohio, WHAT THE HELL IS YOUR PROBLEM!!!! Michigan, Indiana, Pennysylvania and Ohio are the states which are hardest hit by the Bush/McCain/Cheney/Palin policies Are actually thinking about voting for 4 more years of the same??? You are actually cvontemplating signing up for another 4 more years when the last have been disasterous to the economy in the last 8 years? Yeah, yeah, yeah, some of youz won't vote for him because he is black. Ignorant but I grew up in Michigan so I familiar with the mentality. However, I kind of look at it like this..if you are in 30 feet of water and drowning and a black hand reaches out to try to save you, would ya say "naw, I don't want it because you arwe a black man?"

October 12, 2008 09:55 pm at 9:55 pm |
  15. Nancy

Matthew – I am a baby boomer, and I don't use mustard patches, denture cream, or support hose! I have both landline and cell phones, three college degrees (all earned after age 40), do my research, and fully support (and have already voted for) Senator Obama. You sound rather narrow-minded; hopefully you don't represent all members of your generation. This country simply cannot take four more years of someone who thinks just like George Bush. Hopefully most Americans realize this and will vote for change!

October 12, 2008 09:55 pm at 9:55 pm |
  16. John

I think Ohio will go for McCain – Palin because the policies of Obama and the Democratic Party have failed in the Midwest. Michigan has been pure Democratic the past decade and it is a mess. When Ohio had Republican Taft as Governor and a Republican controlled US Congress we had 5% unemployment, now with Democrat Gov. Strickland and a Democratic controlled US Congress, Ohio now has over 7% unemployment. The Democrats have had enough time and they have failed us. It is time for a change from their failed policies that forced banks to loan money to people without a job. We need to put people in office that are proven bipartisan. McCain has a proven record of bringing people together. Obama is the most partisan politician in America, and we can’t afford an inexperienced “ruler wanna be” that will not work with all Americans.
    Rick is correct in pointing out that he is concerned about Obama’s less than candid remarks on his resume. Why doesn’t Obama show us the documents about his community service on the board with Ayers? Why the cover up on the documents that show us what Obama did with ACORN? Obama seems more like a Nixon than a Kennedy. Rick wrote, “Senator Obama is creating all of this by not being open and truthful about his past. Let’s see [the] documents to support the past use of educational funds and his past. Not just more rhetoric from his mouth.”

October 12, 2008 09:59 pm at 9:59 pm |
  17. Should Be No Complaints

Those of you trying to make a case about most blacks voting for Obama like this is reverse racism are wrong. Blacks have voted in huge numbers for democratic candidates ever since the JFK era. And, blacks have always had to support all white candidates, both Democratic and Republican. Blacks finally get a qualified black candidate who has an extremely good chance of winning, and some whites want to complain that just because Obama's black vote percentage has gone from 90% (John Kerry) to 97%, that black folks maybe being racist. Y'all really don't have nothing to complain about.

October 12, 2008 10:00 pm at 10:00 pm |
  18. EE

Please God help Ohio to choose their pick , not for Maccain: palin

October 12, 2008 10:00 pm at 10:00 pm |
  19. Dalton

Palin is shallow and scary: I could not vote for McCain this issue alone

October 12, 2008 10:00 pm at 10:00 pm |
  20. Sean

It would be great if the media explored Alaska Law. Is it legal to taser a child in Alaska. I love Ohio, and am a huge fan of skyline and red circle chili. I remember a time that I was walking through the "Getto"
    private student housing in Dayton Ohio as an engineering freshman attending the University of Dayton

I had a choice I could have bucket of Beer or a 3 way one night I had made my choice I wanted a 3 way. While walking to skyline I noted the students were getting out of hand. The next thing I remeber was feeling a stinging in the back of my head, and the stench. I was hit in the back of the head by a Police officer and thrown into a drunk tank. When I came too and folks realized I was not under the influence of anything they released me.

Note I had to spend the money I had saved cleaning an all male dormitary restroom on cab fare home.

Long and Short, Ohio Vote your Heart, and your mind.

October 12, 2008 10:05 pm at 10:05 pm |
  21. Linda

If you really want change in Washington you will not vote for Obama. How can he campaign for change and put Biden on the ticket.? Ask yourself this: Are you going want a Democratic House, Senate, and President? Nancy P. has had two years now and look at the mess. Bush caved in to it. Where was the veto pen these past two years?Look at the records and experience and you without a doubt vote for McCain. Who voted for pork spending and who did not? Who voted for tax increases and who did not? Who voted against funding for our troops and who voted for it? Who cashed in on the receint financial crisis? Obama thats who. All of you better educate yourselves before you vote. Not to mention his stance on pro-life–How can you even consider Obama. Oh and to those people who constantly compare Palin to Obama –it just goes to show you where your head is because it is McCain running for president. Please compare Palin to Biden and not Obama. She is not running agains him for president.

October 12, 2008 10:05 pm at 10:05 pm |
  22. sherry lou

I just came from a palin ralley in ohio i am a democrate voting for McCain after hearing her talk she is one smart lady. I also have listen to McCain and he is a smart man and our county will do good with them as leaders of our good old USA. I am sorry i just can't vote for obama i don't agree with him on different issues. I just can't see how anyone could set and listen to some like wright for that many year. That show me how dumb he is or stupid. I have came from a long time democrate family and this is the first year we will be voting for a republican. I have talked to a lot of friends and family in ohio they all say the same thing. so how the poll say he leading in ohio i just don't know. i have travel all over ohio the last three month and all same thing nobama.

October 12, 2008 10:09 pm at 10:09 pm |
  23. Tenacious moses

Remember Dems, vote early, vote often.

October 12, 2008 10:12 pm at 10:12 pm |
  24. Sunny Caribbean

Is this the country that wants to tell others how to rule????
    Shame on you USA. For many years I have admired you and often referred to the USA as an example. But after following the elections I have to change my mind. Lies, hatred, fear, dirt-trowing etc. are becomming the standard. To me it does not really matters who wins the election because the President will only look after the interest of the USA and basically that is not wrong. But if this is the best you can do, you will absolutely loose more respect in the world. Shame on you.

October 12, 2008 10:13 pm at 10:13 pm |
  25. Maidugu

Was there anytime in the history of the PRESIDENTIAL opinion polls that the POLL OF POLLS was proved wrong in the actual elections? If not, why then will anyone doubt that Obama will carry the day on Nov 4th? Afterall the "unsure" voters could split either way.

October 13, 2008 02:49 am at 2:49 am |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54