October 12th, 2008

Palin draws a line between 'good guys' and 'bad guys'

Palin visited the crucial battleground state of Ohio Sunday.
Palin visited the crucial battleground state of Ohio Sunday.

ST. CLAIRSVILLE, Ohio (CNN) - At a campaign rally designed to reflect the pastoral beauty of the heartland in autumn - with a stage set up in a red barn overlooking a sweeping field and piles of pumpkins - Sarah Palin warned the audience about the threat of terrorism, and explained that the Republican ticket should be elected because “we know who the bad guys are.”

“Help me, Ohio, to help put John McCain in the White House,” she said. “He understands. He understands you. We understand how important it is that this team be elected. For one thing, we know who the bad guys are, OK?”

That statement elicited scattered shouts of “Obama!” throughout the crowd.

“We know that in the war, it’s terrorists, terrorists who hate America and her allies and would seek to destroy us, and the bad guys are those who would support and sympathize with the terrorists,” she said. “They do not like America because of what we stand for. Liberty. Freedom. Equal rights. Those who sympathize and support those terrorists who would seek to destroy all that it is that we value, those are the bad guys, OK?”

Was Palin suggesting that Barack Obama and Joe Biden don’t understand the terrorist threat? Who exactly were the “bad guys” Palin was referring to? A spokesperson for the campaign would only say that the governor was describing “nations that sympathize with terrorists, period.”

The vice presidential nominee pressed on and pointed the finger at more bad guys - the “greedy and corrupt and arrogant” mavens of Wall Street and Washington who, she said, have pushed the nation’s economy to the brink.

“We know who the good guys are, and it is you, and we will fight for you, and we will put government on your side,” she promised. “We will end the arrogant and the selfish practices of Washington and of Wall Street because your United States government is to be of the people, by the people, for the people.”

In her remarks, Palin also appeared to acknowledge the snow-balling narrative that Republican rallies have grown increasingly hostile and angry in the waning weeks of the campaign, echoing weekend remarks by McCain himself.

“All across America, I know that there’s a lot of anger right now,” she said. “There’s anger about the insider dealing of lobbyists and anger at the greed of Wall Street, and anger about the arrogance of the Washington elite. And with serious reforms to change Washington, John McCain is going to turn your anger into action.”

Filed under: Ohio • Sarah Palin
  1. rover for obama

What (and who) is she talking about? I honestly try to live a good and honest life.....but McCain really need to get her off the trail. Maybe off his ticket. 23 days to go and she is still throwing out bitter speech to anger the crowd. I can't figure it out. She is sinking the Republican party in the political quick sand of no return. Please post CNN.

October 12, 2008 08:53 pm at 8:53 pm |
  2. Beth Woods

Yes, there's a lot of anger. My anger is directed at politicians like you who spread fear and hate and try to divert the attention away from the issues to things that arent important.

By inaction, you and Sen. McCain are encouraging the idea that Obama is an unpatriotic American and a terrorist. Do you think your husband's interest in Alaska separating from the union is patriotic?

You're so hypocritical. You should be ashamed of yourself.

October 12, 2008 08:53 pm at 8:53 pm |
  3. B. Smart

Sara Palin is a gimmick.

Look, The only two things that Americans have to remember when they step behind the curtain are:

1)The Republicans and George Bush and John McCain(who both look like me and has "normal sounding names") screwed this country up without caring what I look like or what race I was.

2)Since the qualifications for Vice President are the
    same as the qualifications for President,
    Sara "Harry Potter" Palin is grossly unqualified for
    either position, bigoted, fascist, anti-semitic
    spewing of her campaign garbage not withstanding.

This white Republican guy will be voting for "that one", who's name just happens to be Barack Hussein Obama.

October 12, 2008 08:53 pm at 8:53 pm |
  4. Anarchist

This woman is really a demagogue. She may be the most dangerous up and coming leader I have seen since... well, Bush.

October 12, 2008 08:53 pm at 8:53 pm |
  5. supporter

Palin is sthe BAD GUY!! She is the one that let her husband abuse the power of the office and it was her that used her power to try to GET someone that she did not like. Thihs is jsut liek Chaney. We do not need this for 4 more years

October 12, 2008 08:53 pm at 8:53 pm |
  6. Mary

We know she is not one of the good guys. I lost all respect for John McCain when he picked her for his running mate. This is a disgrace to all women. She compared herself to a pittbull and I do believe everyone knows what a female dog is.

October 12, 2008 08:54 pm at 8:54 pm |
  7. Desert Pragmatist

When, oh when will this simpleton get off ideological platitudes and discuss real issues?

October 12, 2008 08:54 pm at 8:54 pm |
  8. The Silent One

"A spokesperson for the campaign would only say that the governor was describing “nations that sympathize with terrorists, period.”

RIGHT. After all the pushes the Republicans have done to paint Democrats as terrorist sympathizers, I don't buy that for ONE second.

October 12, 2008 08:54 pm at 8:54 pm |
  9. Joe

Good Girl Sarah!

And by the way, I apologize on behalf of South Philly, where I grew up.
    Things have really changed since then. Shame on you Flyer's fans. She had her little girl with her, or didn't you notice? But that didn't stop you from booing.

October 12, 2008 08:54 pm at 8:54 pm |
  10. David Smith

Governor Palin is crossing the line between politics and common decency, to one on the other side of politics – fanning the flames on the culture of hate and fanning the flames with every chance she gets. Does she not understand that this is America of the 21st century, where ALL Americans, not just those who are of European descent, have value and are capable of rising to any level in politics and business? Does she and the McCain/Palin campaign not recognize that what they are doing is critically wrong, at a time when people will look for any person or group to target because they are hurting and need to target something for their hurt? Do they not understand the damage they are doing to our country, or do they just not care in their blind ambition for power?

October 12, 2008 08:54 pm at 8:54 pm |
  11. fwald

Sadly, these statements represent the complete summary of Palin's understanding of the world.

October 12, 2008 08:55 pm at 8:55 pm |
  12. sandee in Portland

She's right, there is a lot of anger and guess who's put it there...Palin. Why doesn't she talk about the economy? Could it be she doesn't know anything, LOL! I am angry that anyone in their right mind would want to put this woman in power when it's been proven by a group of republicans and democrats that she abuses power for personal reasons. What is wrong with this country? Where have all the honest, hard working, good people gone to?

October 12, 2008 08:56 pm at 8:56 pm |
  13. RJ

As an Independent voter, I am really turned off by Palin's campaign. There is no way I will support this ticket of McCain/Palin. Did she leave her brain in Alaska before venturing out for campaigning all over the country? I don't want this woman anywhere close to any power seat in the federal goverment. Does she read newspapers regularly as she said? She is a walking moron and the whole country is laughing at her and she doesn't ge it.

October 12, 2008 08:56 pm at 8:56 pm |
  14. john butt

I'm a Newfoundlander who has been following this election for the past 18 months. First I would like to say that I've become adicted to CNN, It is the best station that anyone can watch-a station that is very educational. For me,if i was able to vote,I cast a vote for Obama.He is a well educated young man who has a sincere desire to change politics in USA. I 'm sure that he has the citizens of USA in his mind . Give youth a chance. I would and I'm 59.
    To CNN: I tell every to watch CNN. Don't change. You're #1

October 12, 2008 08:56 pm at 8:56 pm |
  15. Brian S.

I don't like the direction McCain's campaign has gone. He and Palin no longer talking about the issues, just vague threads against "bad guys" and "terrorist sympathizers." They're not trying to offer solutions, just provoke a very dark, paranoid, and violatile sub-section of American culture.

Obama looks like he's going to win. However, I am worried by the damage McCain is doing to the demeanor of this country. It is not a good sign when people are yelling out, "Off with his head!" at a major political party's rally and the candidate seems to have no problem with it.

October 12, 2008 08:57 pm at 8:57 pm |
  16. John in KY

Bad guys are the people who destroyed this economy by hook or crook and took down the working Americans housing, jobs, pensions, healthcare, and also raised CEO's pensions and Golden Parachutes, also Corporate Greed, Tax Cuts for the wealthy. while failing to increase as simple a matter as the Minimum Wage! for working Americans.
    YES SARA PALIN WE KNOW WHO THEY ARE! McCain/PALIN want to be their new leaders!
    No Way, No How, No McCAIN/PALIN

October 12, 2008 08:57 pm at 8:57 pm |
  17. A McCain/Palin administration will never happen, thank God

Yeah, we know who the bad guys are: McCain and Palin.

October 12, 2008 08:57 pm at 8:57 pm |
  18. Matt

Right - John McCain is going to turn my anger into action. Sure. What's he going to do? Send more money to people making over $250,000 so they "create jobs"? Sure. Good one.

John McCain is George Bush on so many levels. Sure, he had a "maverick" streak earlier this decade when he fought against the Bush tax cuts on the $250K-plus crowd. But, once he lost that battle, he returned to his corner, ensured that we spent billions each month in Iraq and will continue to ensure this as long as he has a position of authority. The answer is to make sure that John McCain, Sarah Palin and the gang of right-wing leaders in DC have no clout. That's it. They created this mess. They're not going to clean it up.

Every politician will tell you this is the most important election in our lifetime. And, they'll tell you that for every election. Personally, I thought 2004 was the biggest one in my lifetime because I knew that we'd be where we are today if George W won. That is, I knew we would still be in Iraq. I knew the deficits would be a round a half-trillion. Anyone that followed this stuff knew this - and yet, he won.

This time, I really hope Americans aren't fooled. Obama isn't perfect. But, he's a big change. That's what we need - not Sarah Palin talking about fringe issues.

October 12, 2008 08:57 pm at 8:57 pm |
  19. jay

Sick, sick, sick...

October 12, 2008 08:57 pm at 8:57 pm |
  20. Pa Woman

Sarah Palin is a disgrace. This woman spews her hateful rhetoric every where she goes. For the party whose slogan states "Country First", she sets America back 40 years. Shame on you Sarah Palin, are you so threatened by a different point of view you would incite fear and hatred to silence it? She is venturing into dangerous waters and I pray no violence erupts. I used to respect McCain, but anymore he disgusts me also. As long as he continues to let Palin spout bigoted, ignorant comments, he is just as responsible. After all, when he states "I am John McCain, and I support this message, he condones the pending firestorm Sarah Palin is brewing up. Maybe he should remind her who the bad guys really are-Bin Laden and Al Qaeda.

October 12, 2008 08:57 pm at 8:57 pm |
  21. Teacher for Obama

Sarah-
    Please Please shut up! You need to go back to debate camp and learn how to speak about things that Americans are concerned about instead of holding Clan meetings!!. This is 2008- and America is not going for it so take your average joe six packs back to Alaska!!

October 12, 2008 08:57 pm at 8:57 pm |
  22. Larry

Yes Mommy we know who the bad guys are.And you are a bad Mommy for telling scary stories and spewing fear this close to bed time.You should also clean up your own kitchen before you think you can clean Washington.Palin has a pretty bad record of spending government money while sleeping in her own home and getting taxpayers to foot the bill.She also has a very bad record of stomping on long term employees that do't agree with her.She has a proven record of being a bully and an abuser of power.Walt Monegan for VP !!!!!

October 12, 2008 08:58 pm at 8:58 pm |
  23. Lisa F SWPA

Lobbyists are running McCain's campaign. Palin just won't stop until some radical attempts an act of violence directed toward Obama or one of his supporters. McCain tried to quell the radical tone of his supporters. She just goes out and flames the fire again. She is trouble and I'm sure he regrets his choice.

Republicans should be ashamed.

October 12, 2008 08:58 pm at 8:58 pm |
  24. Nidwaldner

So it's the same "you're with us or against us" line. More ugly sentiments, fear mongering and more hate from the Repubs. Same old, same old that we've had these past 8 years. I for one am looking for someone to truly unite the country and listen to all sides instead of brushing everyone as "good" or "bad". We are all Americans and deserve to have our viewpoints respected. People like Palin are exactly the reason I chose to no longer affiliate with the "Christian" tradition I was raised with.

October 12, 2008 08:58 pm at 8:58 pm |
  25. Mary

Yes, I know who the bad guy is to0. She spreads hate and division whereever she goes. She abuses her office for personal gain. Her name is Sarah Palin

October 12, 2008 08:58 pm at 8:58 pm |