October 12th, 2008

Palin: Hockey mom experience on 'executive side' of the sport

Self-described 'hockey mom' Sarah Palin dropped the puck and Saturday night’s Rangers-Flyers game.

PHILADELPHIA (CNN) – Sarah Palin seems to have slipped effortlessly into the role of John McCain’s attack dog - but those aggressive tendencies may have been cultivated many years ago as an “exuberant” hockey mom in Wasilla, where she used to bang her fists on the penalty box glass and demand that her son get tougher with his opponents on the ice.

At least that’s how she described her time as a hockey mom to Comcast SportsNet’s Steve Coates, who interviewed Palin after she dropped the puck at the Philadelphia Flyers’ season opener on Saturday night. The governor recounted how she used to embarrass her son Track by yelling at him from the side of the rink, telling him to play nice. But if he was going to play rough, Palin said, she gave him license to go all out.

“I was telling him be nice, and if you’re going to get a penalty, man, make it worth it!,” she told Coates. “Don’t just be picking on somebody. Grind ‘em into the boards! Do something that’s going to be effective. Don’t just be picking on someone.”

Palin said she soon put her energies into the “executive side” of the youth hockey team instead of shouting at her embarrassed son from behind the glass.

“I put my passion towards hockey to better use by becoming the hockey manager,” she said. “The team mom. You know, working on the stats, working on the management, the executive side of the sport, and hopefully that was put to better use. I was pretty exuberant.”

Filed under: Sarah Palin
  1. Jim in Indiana

Look above and behind the flyers player..

Its two OBAMA signs!!

Awesome!!

October 12, 2008 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  2. Kathy

Who cares, she abused her power as governor, when is Obama going to put it in an ad or when is she going to step down. I don't want there to be a possibility of a vice president who thinks that firing people for personal gain is somehow ok.

October 12, 2008 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  3. No cocky wacko

Only 4 comments allowed on the item about how peope loudly booed while she dropped this puck – no mention of that here. May I just add 'Booooooo!', and comment that her executive experience is limited and evidently not enough to teach her that truth and moderation are always best in the long term.

October 12, 2008 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  4. Jim, Colorado

Just how much can you do with a hockey puck? Another $25.00 to obama.

October 12, 2008 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  5. ohio

she going to set up hockey games when shes a VP???? nonesens idiot

October 12, 2008 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  6. Thomas

The "executive side" of a kids hockey team? Is this the executive experience that Palin is offering our country?

Keeping stats on a kids team is nice, but hardly executive experience.

I think the night manager at a Denny's has more executive experience.

October 12, 2008 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  7. Linda K.

Gee, she sounds like mother of the year. I hope she's not emailing Track in Iraq and telling him to kill more civilians to make his time worthwhile.

An aggressive hockey mom and a man who is widely known to lose his temper. Sounds like a great combination for the White House, right? What could go wrong?

October 12, 2008 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  8. Palin supporter

I admire Sarah Palin. She has proven that she is tough and can handle the insults thrown her way from the biased media and celebrities like madonna who go to lengths to put her down and ridicule her. I also admire her stance on abortion and find it ironic that people who call themselves "christians" can support a presidential candidate who basically supports abortion on demand.

October 12, 2008 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  9. max (NY)

Yea! her executive experience consists of using and abusing her power to intervene in defense of her family.

October 12, 2008 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  10. Sidney Crosby

Wow "executive side" of recreational hockey!! I guess this qualifies my mom to be vice-president!!!

October 12, 2008 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  11. Katran Miller

Palin has "executive experience" from managing a small-town ice hockey team, and she's got foreign policy experience from those Russian planes that might, but haven't, entered Alaskan airspace.
    Keep talking, Gov!

October 12, 2008 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  12. Jesus

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
    Palin is UNWORTHY of being Governor of Alaska, much less occupying the second most powerful office in the free world.
    "Hey Sarah, abuse "this" !

October 12, 2008 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  13. EFD

My son plays hockey and what Palin describes as 'Executive Experience' is basically keeping tally on an excel spreadsheet and checking to see who can run the playclock during the game. Palin is an idiot! She has no idea how stupid she sounds. But nothing beats that 'white trash' comment by one of McCain's supporters saying that she can't vote for Obama because he's an Arab!

October 12, 2008 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  14. Uncle Sam

John McCain has a record of reform.
    Why would anyone believe Sen. Obama's promises of change when he has never demonstrated it during his career?

October 12, 2008 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  15. Betty, Virginia

Wow, I"ve never been a hockey mom.. is this really what they teach their kids or is it just Palin?

If you're going to do something that will get you in trouble go all out make it worth it? Nice christian principle. I know hockey is a game but don't sports give our young people lessons for life?

Screaming at their kids and embaressing them in public?!? I'm amazed. I remember when my son was in baseball, a father went nuts on his kid and the referee threw the dad out. Made him stand in the parking lot. Now I'm understanding why Palin finds the words pitbull and barracuda to be compliments. John McCain don't turn your back.

I really want to know is this really the way Hockey Moms behave?

October 12, 2008 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  16. DisgustedVoter

This all seems so hipocritical to me....are you saying it's ok for people to boo and shout vicious words at Palin??? Sounds like a double standard to me.

October 12, 2008 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  17. jacqueline

She calls herself a Christian and she tells her son if he is going to hurt someone to "grind them into the boards".......HELLO??? Does she not see the conflict here?

I do feel badly that her daughters heard all that booing, but I also feel badly that they hear her spewing hate and anger. I wish they were in school at home and I wish their dad was with them.

October 12, 2008 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  18. 10th grade school teacher for obama

"just be"? wouldn't it be nice if someone being considered for VP new a couple grammar rules about subject verb agreement?

October 12, 2008 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  19. White-African(born there) American Military BRAT

I'm WITH you Cuban-mama-4-obama.

I'LL BE HERE RIGHT ALONG WITH YOU!!!!!!!

Obama/Biden '08 and '12

REPUBLICANS---–STOP THE HATE---STOP THE RACISM

October 12, 2008 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  20. Silent John

No mention of her getting BOOED by the crowd of course, right???

October 12, 2008 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  21. Billy

Most of America hates you, Palin. Go back to Alaska and never return.

October 12, 2008 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  22. kirsten

this is so not news worthy!!! come on CNN.

nice message to kids sports, palin. what the H-E-double hockey sticks is wrong with you!!!

October 12, 2008 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  23. Amy

Who cares? We don't need a sports exec in the second most powerful elected office in our country!

October 12, 2008 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  24. Chaco

"Grind 'em into the boards!"??? (SHUDDER) What a role model she is. Anyone who has ever had psychology or behavioral training knows that 'violence begets violence' and this woman scares me.

I'm going to choose thoughtful deliberant wisdom over this screecher and her wild-eyed views.

October 12, 2008 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  25. KofTX

Can we PLEASE stop talking about Sarah Palin. She is as insignificant to the debate about issues as hockey is to...I don't know, NAME another sport. She has no real positions based on convictions other than cultural issues. Ask her about the market and how it affects Main St. and all you'll get are a bunch of campaign talking points. Ask any kind of probing follow-up question and you'll get a the "Gee, golly, awww shucks, you betcha' " BULL CRAP!

October 12, 2008 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |