October 12th, 2008

Rage rising on the McCain campaign trail

A passionate McCain supporter at a Davenport, Iowa rally this week.
A passionate McCain supporter at a Davenport, Iowa rally this week.

(CNN) – With recent polls showing Sen. Barack Obama's lead increasing nationwide and in several GOP-leaning states, some Republicans attending John McCain-Sarah Palin campaign rallies are showing a new emotion: rage.

At a rally in Minnesota on Friday, a woman told McCain: "I don't trust Obama. I have read about him and he's an Arab."

McCain shook his head and said, "No ma'am, no ma'am. He's a decent family man...[a] citizen that I just happen to have disagreements with on fundamental issues. That's what this campaign is all about."

One man at the rally said he was "scared of an Obama presidency." McCain later told the man he should not fear Obama.

"I want to be president of the United States, and I don't want Obama to be," he said. "But I have to tell you, I have to tell you, he is a decent person, and a person that you do not have to be scared as President of the United States."

McCain's response was met with boos from the crowd.

Watch: Rising anger at McCain rallies

When asked about these outbursts, McCain campaign manager Rick Davis said that he didn't know who those people were and if they were there as supporters or to disrupt the rallies.

Full story

Filed under: John McCain
  1. Bob Stephens

I used to think John McCain was a war monger. Guess I was wrong, he is a hate monger.

October 12, 2008 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  2. Lee from FL

They should be mad that our great nation is collapsing before our eyes,but instead, they rant on about "TERRORIST" "KILL KIM" "ARAB"

AND THEY SAY COUNTRY FIRST?

October 12, 2008 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  3. former gop

If violence breaks out, if Obama is hurt or his family, McCain will be responsible.

I don't know how McCain and Palin can sleep at night. How can they call themselves Christians?

October 12, 2008 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  4. Justin

While I'm an Obama supporter, I have to say, John took the high road here. Being booed by people like that isn't something really that he should see as a problem; they're idiotic and uninformed. If they won't listen to their own candidate, then there isn't much he can do.

John, good job. It's too bad you didn't try to keep the hate in the box earlier on...but for this time, I applaud you.

October 12, 2008 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  5. LA33ROSS

I give McCain credit for telling the truth. It is the first time I've seen him speak the truth. There is no honor in winning due to lies and misinformation.

October 12, 2008 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  6. paul

Let me guess. The next thing we will hear is that the democrats planted these people at the rallies. Somehow the democrats will be at fault again for this...that's the Republican way

October 12, 2008 10:06 am at 10:06 am |
  7. tigerakabj

Let them take down the Republican party. Finally people are seeing the true party as it alwasy was. What's more is that "rage" describes the McCain persona. It has been documented that he is extremely hot-headed and easy to provoke to anger.

McCain, tell Palin to keep talking. When she trash-talked Obama during the RNC, he raised $10 million in less than 24 hours. And tell your hate rallies to say the "f" word or something. Turn it into the Jerry Springer show that it is.

Obama/Biden 2008/2012.

October 12, 2008 10:06 am at 10:06 am |
  8. Tony

McCain and Palin have no options left. That is why you are seeing and eharing so many lies, accusations, distortions, and attacks.

They are speaking out of both sides of their mouths, which is nothing new for republicans, and inciting intense anger in teh party and amogn their supporters.

McCain has no answers, no solutions, no ideas and no plans.

Obama is pulling ahead in the majority of states and there are only 24 days left.

It is pathetic, dirty and desperate, but they have nothing else.

October 12, 2008 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  9. PUMBU

WE CAN'T TRUST McCAIN HE IS SOOOOO FAKE, ERRATIC AND UNSTABLE.

October 12, 2008 10:08 am at 10:08 am |
  10. Realistic

As McCain's support dwindles, all he will be left with soon are the wingnuts.

October 12, 2008 10:08 am at 10:08 am |
  11. Ken

...going into the ground. It is his own fault.

Obama 08

October 12, 2008 10:09 am at 10:09 am |
  12. Steve

Wow. When I read that part about that woman not trusting Obama because he's Arab, it made me realize that the majority of McCain supporters only support him because Obama is supposedly black/arab. Well, I know many arabs and they are good people. It makes me sick to see that people stereotype arabs as terrorists and they don't "trust Obama because he's an Arab". Obama isn't even Arab, he was born in Hawaii. Most of McCain voters are white racist rednecks, at least from what I see.

October 12, 2008 10:09 am at 10:09 am |
  13. Jason

This has gotten out of control, the McCain rallies are starting to appear like Germany in the 1940's!!!

October 12, 2008 10:10 am at 10:10 am |
  14. 4 real

That's a shame Obama didn't do anything to anyone, so what are they mad at him for. They need to be mad at Bush he's the reason everyones losing everything not Obama. I think their just racist personally, and McCain want to leave it up to the people to decide the laws like abortion and etc. With people like the ones at his rally making those decision black people will become slaves again.

October 12, 2008 10:11 am at 10:11 am |
  15. Maria A Garcia Miami, FL

I am amazed that none of our astute news reporters has picked up on the fact that these "fearful complainers" of Obama at the town hall meeting are a plant! What more effective way to scare voters into voting for McCain and 'Annie Oakley' than to get people to put down Obama, then act as Good cop and defend him, therefore looking like the good guy? McCain has reached a new low, he has become a puppet of the Right-Wing – coudln't you see he was acting –and poorly, at that??

These people weren't even real – they were only half coherent, as if trying to remember what they were supposed to say!

It is so obviously a plant, I fear our Media is taking sides by not even exploring this possiblity. Please review the tapes!

October 12, 2008 10:11 am at 10:11 am |
  16. Ralph

None of this is compares to the rabid, hateful comments that the Obamaroids keep writing and CNN happily publishes in these comments sections.

October 12, 2008 10:11 am at 10:11 am |
  17. bob

United States?
    WE haven't arrived.
    WE will, like it or not.

October 12, 2008 10:11 am at 10:11 am |
  18. Chris F.

I think it is sad that some people act this way. These are people who listen to Rush Limbaugh and Hannity who do not want the issues disscussed but for McCain to conduct charater attacks. These conservative talk show stoke the fire and get these morons stired up. We are all American and we should act like adults not children. McCain put himself behind by his own actions during the campign and also the economic situation has also changed the game.

October 12, 2008 10:11 am at 10:11 am |
  19. Muckinello

Adult, moderate, intelligent Americans should say a resounding NO to the politics of fear. NO to McCAIN!

October 12, 2008 10:12 am at 10:12 am |
  20. Ron

It looks like the McCain doctrine of fear and smear is doing its magic on the true believers; unfortunately, it is that very tactic that pushes independents like myself closer to an Obama vote every day. Stories like this and stories of pastors praying for a candidate's defeat at political rallies should scare the daylights out of those who seek the truth rather than hang onto untrue soundbites..

October 12, 2008 10:12 am at 10:12 am |
  21. CM

Rick Davis gave a roundabout answer there. Nobody expects him to know everyone at the rallys.

They are reaping what Palin sowed. In dividing the nation along racial lines they are also scaring off some of their own supporters.

October 12, 2008 10:12 am at 10:12 am |
  22. TAINOPOWER

OBAMA CAUGHT SAYING ACORN AND FRIENDS WILL SHAPE HIS PRESIDENTIAL AGENDA

Obama said ACORN and friends, responsible for voting fraud and the suibprime crisis, are going to be shaping policy for an obama presidency? Is this is the kind of president we need a corrupted one already. just can’t wait to get to the white house to get corrupted.

October 12, 2008 10:12 am at 10:12 am |
  23. Ron

McCain shook his head and said, "No ma'am, no ma'am. He's a decent family man…[a] citizen that I just happen to have disagreements with on fundamental issues. That's what this campaign is all about."

WOW...... I'm not an Arab living in the US, but if I was..... I would be pissed. John McCain says that Obama is not an Arab, He is a good man ! Hey John.... tell us what you really think of those Arabs ?

October 12, 2008 10:12 am at 10:12 am |
  24. Toni Harris

I'm afraid that Senator McCain's desperate strategy to malign Senator Obama and create mistrust of him among the voters backfired on him. From the day of the success of the Democratic Convention, Senator McCain began making plan B radical campaign decisions from the selection of an overly ambitious, V.P. partner who can do no good for this country, to a decision to create fear and doubt about Senator Obama, if necessary, he has opened a door to a tunnel back to the 1960's when hate and fear ruled America. We have come too far for one man's self-ordained feelings of entitlement to cause such a set-back for America and Senator McCain has to accept responsibility for what he had done to drag this country backward.

October 12, 2008 10:12 am at 10:12 am |
  25. Jenn

This is one of the many reasons we need a Obama Presidency, so that the scared and the racist can see that Obama is not out to get them. Obama wants to be the President for all Americans not half but all, and I think he is gonna do a awesome job.

GO OBAMA GO! YOU HAVE EARNED IT! Obama Biden/08/12