October 13th, 2008

Biden: McCain’s speech is ‘attack, attack, attack, attack’

Biden calls McCain out on his negative attacks.
Biden calls McCain out on his negative attacks.

ROCHESTER, New Hampshire (CNN) – Shortly before John McCain set to lay out his new stump speech Monday morning, Joe Biden said it looked like the address would be “attack, attack, attack, attack” in contrast with Barack Obama’s plans to lay out his vision for the economy later in the day.

Watch: What is McCain really offering?

“Barack is going to make a major speech on economic policy, going to further outline what he’s going to do and how he’s going to deal with it,” said the Democratic vice presidential nominee. “It looks like John McCain’s entire speech is going to be attack, attack, attack, attack.”

“It couldn’t be clearer to me what’s going on here. John McCain wants to attack Barack Obama, and Barack Obama wants to [attack] the problems that face America today,” he said.

The McCain campaign shot back, calling Obama’s economic plan "plagiarism" of President Herbert Hoover’s during the Great Depression and championing their own “bold” proposal.

"The Obama-Biden ticket’s call for higher taxes on American businesses and isolationist trade policies mirrors the proposals that President Hoover implemented at the onset of the Great Depression, spurring a complete economic collapse," McCain spokesman Ben Porritt wrote in an e-mail. "It's plagiarism of the very worst economic policies in American history."

The Delaware senator said McCain had an advantage in the campaign has a war hero and people assumed that as a result, he would have “certain hands” in a crisis.

“We need more than a war hero, we need more than a great soldier, we need a wise leader,” said Biden. “John's hands have been anything but certain in the last year. They've been uncertain. And the McCain administration would be uncertain, clinging to the past, lurching from one bad idea to another.”

Filed under: Joe Biden • John McCain
  1. John

A question I have not seen before.
    Why did McCain pick Palin with other more qualified people out there??
    Condi Rice whould be a great VP, as would Colin Powell. I am glad that did not pick them. Perhaps they were not interested.

October 13, 2008 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  2. Annie, Atlanta

Watching the McCain/Palin campaign last week scared the hell out of me. I'm afraid someone is going to get hurt because of what they (mostly she) unleashed. These are not the kind of people we want in our White House EVER. They are causing a bigger division between us than Bush; something I never thought possible. That's not Country First.

October 13, 2008 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  3. kim

Paul Krugman, an Obama advisor , just won the Nobel Prize for Economics. I'm thinking Obama might have someone actually qualified as his Secretary of the Treasury such as Krugman instead of Wall Street's favorite son, Paulson. I don't think Krugman would advise Obama to follow Hoover's path.

October 13, 2008 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  4. I swear on the Bible I had a nightmare about a villain antagonizing me....and it was SARAH PALIN!!!!

Is it just me or is America completely stumped that McCain's campaign is so purposely transparent? I actually feel sorry for the guy. I honestly believe he has NO IDEA how foolish his campaign has been run??? And my goodness, his advisors–they are a JOKE! They really think they can pull the wool over the eyes of the American people! I promise you, envision a switch-off; you can use his campaign workers and some snobbish, confused high school students interchangably and the campaign would STILL be run the same.

Senility is so visible in that campaign.....

OBAMA/BIDEN FOR 08/12 – "The sane choice...."

October 13, 2008 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  5. Mary from Sarasota FL

Yes, Joe !! Keep up your line of reasoning. We can win this election.
    Go !! Obama/Biden. !! We love you !! We want to help you succeed.
    Yes, WE CAN !!!
    Mary from Sarasota

October 13, 2008 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  6. ran

I can only hope more people will not allow these lies by McCain/? to sway their vote. I mean how uninformed can some of these people be like the old lady thinking Obama is an Arab and the sad thing is she gets to vote.

October 13, 2008 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  7. KD NY, NY

Accountant Guy...Don't forget that Biden has plagiarized.....twice. And what's with attacking McCain's speech before he gives it? Maybe they have a spy in the McCain camp.

October 13, 2008 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  8. White Christian Mother for Obama

CNN why dont you post my comments??????

RIGHT ON JOE!! Alot of VIOLENCE in the speeches are turning SUPPORTERS for Republican Party Violent!!

I guess we can see from McCains War Fightin ways.. and Palin Gun Toting hunting ways.. CRIME will go up while they are in Office!!

"That One"... With the Plan from the Begining!!
    Obama/Biden 08

October 13, 2008 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  9. worldview

hahaha i live in Germany, from England and people here LOVE Obama!!!europe is obama crazy!!!!!i thought everyone knew that!!!so whoever wrote that comment- get your facts straight!!

October 13, 2008 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  10. Ron R. Dallas, TX

Although I've already heard Biden speak 2 or 3 times before, today I gained some more insight concerning this man and why Obama chose him.

ANYONE who tells me that Palin is ready to be President of the US and can negotiate with the leaders of middle-eastern or Communist countries carries the same insight as the narrow & short-sighted people that voted for "Dub-ya".

The primary things I want my President to do is to protect our dollar, our respect abroad, and our borders.

And by the way, has Bush protected any of these?

October 13, 2008 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  11. David

Please, nothing this man says is credible (not that McCain is either). hey Joe, go back to stuffing your wallet with the cash from those predatory lending banks based in your state (MBNA). And your son's wallet, too.

October 13, 2008 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  12. BL

It seems that McCain just keeps jumping around in what he's doing and what he's talking about. He's not really saying anything other than that he's a maverick and he'll do something about all of this. But that something would be ... ? The McCain campaign has been inciting hatred and fear. That backfired, so now they're being "nicer". (But did you see the expressions on Cindy McCain's and Palin's faces when they were in the thick of it? Very scary.) Now they're trying to copy Obama and say that they're going to come out with some definitive plans. Huh ... Obama has had some pretty good documentation on what he plans to do for some time now. It wouldn't surprise me if McCain follows on the heels of Obama's speech today and tries to piggy-back and say it was their idea and Obama stole it. I really hope that McCain and Palin lose by a landslide to demonstrate to the rest of the world that we Americans are not crazy and we can recognize a poor choice when we see it, and we don't reward such tasteless and misleading behavior that the McCain campaign has been dishing up for the last several weeks. Obama is the best option to restore our country – our economy, the way we are viewed by the rest of the world, our health care, our military strength, our ability to guide by demonstration, and the ability to live the American dream where anyone can make it – not just the ones who have profited so unfairly under Bush.

Go Biden. Go Obama. I want to be proud of my country again.

October 13, 2008 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  13. Gayle

Go Joe you know your right

October 13, 2008 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  14. GINA, OHIO

MCCAIN/PALIN TICKET TO NOWHERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YES WE CAN AND YES WE WILL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OBAMA/BIDEN FOR CHANGE WE NEED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

October 13, 2008 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  15. chris

i´m from Austria and can´t wait to see Obama/Biden victory on soon, Obama supporters don´t give up make sure you cast your vote for Obama.thank you for your understanding

October 13, 2008 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  16. worldview

and just so you know the British PM has been accused of favorign Obama, and Angela Merkel, she is so hoping they will work together!!similar views here....Obama!!!!

October 13, 2008 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  17. Vinson

McCain is an IDIOT.

We don't need a "fighter."

We need a THINKER!!!!

Obama/Biden '08

October 13, 2008 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  18. A TRUE PATRIOT

The McCain campain is rediculous. They offer no real solutions to change the state of the US economy. The only card they can play is to pander to fear, i.e. Palin's speach about the good guys vs. the bad guys. This is getting out of hand, I once was comfortable with the prospect of having McCain in the White House, but since Palin has re-ignited the culture war I am truly disgusted.

Yes, Ayers is a unrepentant terrorist, but commited attrocities as a result of America's Imperialist ambitions. The invasion of Vietnam and the US backed coup of the democratically elected president of Chile prompted Ayers and the Weather Underground to attack to target the American Government. The true patriot will look past the rhetoric and realize the horrible foreign policy decisions we have made.

Obama's the real person to shake up Washington and turn it on its head. The possibility of a fillabuster proof majority in the Senate and a Democrat president will do this.

PEACE!!! Obama 08

October 13, 2008 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  19. Brian

I love Joey Biden! Go get 'em buster! Let's knock this thing outta the park and take back the White House in '08!

OBAMA / BIDEN '08!!!

October 13, 2008 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  20. That One

Maybe McCain and Palin should 'chill, baby, chill.' They and their campaign seem to be running in circles like a race-baiting chicken with its head cut off. Instead of hating on Obama's proposal, go ahead and tell us your plan du jour.

October 13, 2008 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  21. Central Florida

Misguided attacks and negative lies seem to be all the McCain campaign has left. Sad.

And give me break on the "plagiarism" claim. The McCain has plagiarized everything from "change" to Rachael Ray's recipes.

October 13, 2008 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  22. David from Germany

Best greatings from Germany. OBAMA,we love you!

October 13, 2008 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  23. Ann

Biden's words: Obama is not ready to be president!

Senator Biden, you spoke the truth at that time, you are a liar now. You learned the empty words.. and don't get so angry at rallies, its dangerous at your age and you start looking like Obama.

As a Hillary supporter, I despise you and your new friend.

October 13, 2008 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  24. MBFLA

I want the smart guys for a change!

Obama/Biden 08

October 13, 2008 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  25. I'm John McCain and I approve this Message!

I want to make the United States a Military State.

I'm John McCain and I'm still trying to win one for Nixon.

If it's good enough for Military personnel it's good enough for the American Citizens:

1. No heath care for vets