October 13th, 2008

Biden: McCain’s speech is ‘attack, attack, attack, attack’

Biden calls McCain out on his negative attacks.
Biden calls McCain out on his negative attacks.

ROCHESTER, New Hampshire (CNN) – Shortly before John McCain set to lay out his new stump speech Monday morning, Joe Biden said it looked like the address would be “attack, attack, attack, attack” in contrast with Barack Obama’s plans to lay out his vision for the economy later in the day.

Watch: What is McCain really offering?

“Barack is going to make a major speech on economic policy, going to further outline what he’s going to do and how he’s going to deal with it,” said the Democratic vice presidential nominee. “It looks like John McCain’s entire speech is going to be attack, attack, attack, attack.”

“It couldn’t be clearer to me what’s going on here. John McCain wants to attack Barack Obama, and Barack Obama wants to [attack] the problems that face America today,” he said.

The McCain campaign shot back, calling Obama’s economic plan "plagiarism" of President Herbert Hoover’s during the Great Depression and championing their own “bold” proposal.

"The Obama-Biden ticket’s call for higher taxes on American businesses and isolationist trade policies mirrors the proposals that President Hoover implemented at the onset of the Great Depression, spurring a complete economic collapse," McCain spokesman Ben Porritt wrote in an e-mail. "It's plagiarism of the very worst economic policies in American history."

The Delaware senator said McCain had an advantage in the campaign has a war hero and people assumed that as a result, he would have “certain hands” in a crisis.

“We need more than a war hero, we need more than a great soldier, we need a wise leader,” said Biden. “John's hands have been anything but certain in the last year. They've been uncertain. And the McCain administration would be uncertain, clinging to the past, lurching from one bad idea to another.”

Filed under: Joe Biden • John McCain
  1. Bruce

McCain has plagarized Hillary Clinton's whole campaign. No vision, no ideas, no McCain.

October 13, 2008 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  2. Tony

JUST WHEN YOU THINK MCCAIN CAN'T GET ANY MORE DESPERATE, DOGGONE IT, HE DOES.

YOU BETCHA'!

October 13, 2008 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  3. Bill W - PA

Speaking of attacks, I'm much more troubled by what I heard in the first McCain/Obama debate. I heard McCain threaten no fewer than 5 other countries – Pakistan, Afghanistan, North Korea, Iran, and Russia. He scares me.

October 13, 2008 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  4. ohio

biden fight them with truth

October 13, 2008 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  5. Mike

Go Joe!!! You the man!!!

October 13, 2008 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  6. Tony

I SEE OVERWHELMING SUPPORT ON EVERY SITE ON THE NET.

HOWEVER, IF PEOPLE DON'T MAKE THE COMMITMENT TO ACTUALLY VOTE, IT DOESN'T MEAN ANYTHING.

I WORK ON A COLLEGE CAMPUS AND REMEMBER THE 2004 ELECTION. SO MANY WERE AGAINST BUSH, BUT WHEN IT CAME TIME TO VOTE, MANY, MANY COLLEGE STUDENTS DID NOT SHOW UP AT THE POLLS.

IF YOU DON'T VOTE...DON'T WHINE AND COMPLAIN!

October 13, 2008 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  7. Boomer

McCain thinks of everything in a militaristic way. That's why he attacks and attacks and attacks. He shows bad judgement all the time: his pick of Palin, his campaign suspension, and his inciting his mobs to near violence. Sounds a lot like Bush, actually. It is really time for a change. Obama is the man.

October 13, 2008 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  8. Doug

If the McCain campaign gave me a dollar for every time they told a lie in this campaign, I could retire very well off.

October 13, 2008 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  9. Cheryl

Go Joe! a man with principals...unlike Palin who resorts to fear, exaggeration and denial..as if we can believe she did nothing wrong ethically-Come On!!
    Our country deserves much better.
    Vote Obama/Biden!

October 13, 2008 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  10. Lisa East

The Republican Party is currently trying to link Obama to terrorists. What I don't understand is why no one is bringing up the Bush family's connection to the bin Ladin family and Saudia Arabia. That is like the pot calling the kettle black!

October 13, 2008 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  11. Steve in CA

I've already cast my vote for Obama. It felt very good, too! I know my vote was for the man best suited for the job and most likely to represent the average American.

If I owned a huge company, or was completely out of my mind, I would have voted for McCain.

October 13, 2008 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  12. Jack Jodell, Minneapolis, MN

We're with you, Joe. The McCain camp obviously believes the best defense is a good offense, but we all know that the best OFFENSE is a good DEFENSE!

October 13, 2008 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  13. Tony

GO GET 'EM JOE!

FOR THE REMAINDER OF THIS ELECTION, WE WILL HEAR NOTHING FROM EITHER MCCAIN OR PALIN EXCEPT LIES ADN ATTACKS.

WHEN ONE HAS NO RECORD OF THEIR OWN TO RUN ON, LITTLE OPTIONS REMAIN.

COME ON AMERICA......TELL THE REPUBLICANS WE ARE NO LONGER INTERESTED IN DRINKING THE KOOL-AID.

LET'S SEND MCCAIN BACK TO WHINE AND MOAN IN THE SENATE...AND LET'S GIVE PALIN A ONE-WAY TICKET BACK TO MOOSE COUNTRY!

October 13, 2008 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  14. "That One" President Barack Obama

Intelligent Leadership.... What America has lacked for the last eight years and look where that has gotten us.... Bridge to NoWhere.

Don't be foolish again by picking a President that you can have a Beer with......Knowing that you NEVER WILL.

Use your COMMON SENSE THIS TIME

Barack Your Vote 08!!!!

October 13, 2008 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  15. mello in New Mexico

McCain is going to turn things around? I will believe it when I see it. Maybe he will stop the personal attacks and the lies. Maybe he will start acting with dignity, honesty, and integrity. I think McCain used to know those words but he sure has not shown them in the past few months. I actually used to admire him. Now I feel that he is just a pathetic old man who has fallen from grace. Vote for him? I don't think so. His rallies lately have been demagogy and lies so like fascists and those enthralled with the trappings of power. We need a leader who can unite the country now one who will further divide us. We need healing as a nation not the illness of power.

October 13, 2008 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  16. Barbara - Atlanta

Way to go Joe!!!!

Obama/Biden 08

October 13, 2008 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  17. ready for change

JOE BIDEN IS FANTASTIC! VOTE OBAMA-BIDEN

October 13, 2008 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  18. 58 white old ladies for OBAMA

WE WONDER HOW PEOPLE LIKE MCGREEDY

CAN SLEEP AT NIGHT? & HOW CAN THEY GET

UP THE NEXT DAY & SPEND THE WHOLE DAY LYING. HOW

CAN A MAN SPEND 26 YEARS PILFERING HIS OWN NATION.

October 13, 2008 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  19. Nick

BIDEN ... U gotta love this guy.. A real Joe 6 packer. One of us. Never forgot where he came from.

October 13, 2008 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  20. Phil Newton from Murphy, Oregon

I want a calm and decisive president.

I am voting for Barack Obama.

October 13, 2008 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  21. Sandra - OH

Joe Biden is the perfect compelement. He is strong, confident, presice and un-wavering. Joe has the right amount of experience and knowledge to get the job done. Joe has my vote.

October 13, 2008 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  22. Republican family against McCain

McCain and Palin are simply unqualified in every way to run our beloved country. The hate-mongering they encourage is down right scary. Our Republican family and many other Republican families we know are jumping ship and voting for Obama...it's the honorable thing to do for our country. We really don't know what McCain was thinking when he picked Palin, even hockey fans boo her at NHL games.

October 13, 2008 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  23. Crockett

Joe,

Your a hell of a man! I'm glad that you're on the ticket...btw I voted via us mail Friday!

Obama & Biden 08

October 13, 2008 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  24. Andre

These people are insane. "Plagiarism"!!!!!! Can these people not even choose their words properly?

October 13, 2008 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  25. sandee in Portland

Rollins, one of the Republican strategists, said one of the reasons McCain's campaign is run so schizophrenically is because he has lobbyists running it.

@bob...I totally agree with you regarding the two party system. We either need term limits on both congress and the senate so they can't make being a politician a career or we all need to change our registration to independent. I am a lifelong republican that will change my affiliation to Independent after this election. Maybe if we all did that, the two parties would finally get an idea as to the fact that the majority of voters don't vote straight party lines, but made independent choices based on the person, their policies, their ideas, their intelligence (lol, that leaves McCain out) and how we perceive they would handle the affairs of our country.

October 13, 2008 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |