October 13th, 2008

Biden says some reactions at McCain events 'scary'

Biden said some of what he has seen at McCain events is 'scary stuff.'
Biden said some of what he has seen at McCain events is 'scary stuff.'

(CNN) - Joe Biden said Monday some of the reactions he has seen at recent McCain campaign rallies are downright “scary,” and said the Republican presidential ticket should be careful not to encourage "fringe people."

But in the interview with ABC News, Biden added he does not worry the McCain-Palin rallies could lead to violence as long as John McCain and Sarah Palin adequately control their supporters.

"I'm no more concerned about it, as long as … John pushes it back in a box and Governor Palin pushes it back in a box, because what you don't want to do is encourage - I don't think they intentionally do it - encourage people who really are fringe people," Biden said in the interview. He also said that what he saw at the rallies was "really off the wall" and "scary stuff."

Earlier: Biden: McCain’s speech is ‘attack, attack, attack, attack’

Biden also took aim at recent comments from Virginia’s Republican Party chairman that compared Obama to 9/11 mastermind Osama Bin Laden. The chairman, Jeffrey Frederick said Obama and bin Laden "both have friends that bombed the Pentagon" - a reference to Obama's connection to 1960's radical Bill Ayers.

"I don't believe it … I can't believe it," Biden said of those comments. "I'm surprised John McCain hasn't gone down and whacked the guy with his fist. I mean, I don't think there's a prejudiced bone in John McCain's body. But that kind of stuff is really off the wall. I refuse to let myself believe John McCain has anything to do with any of that.”

Filed under: Extra • Joe Biden • John McCain
  1. You're At Fault .... Not Both of you ... Only 1

It's time for the media

Meet The PRess
    Face THe NAtion
    This Week
    CNN
    FOX
    ABC
    CBS
    MSNBC

To STOP allowing an equivalency arguement from the Republicans.

The Democrats have not run the number or the severity of personall attack ads that they other side has.

Democratic supporters have not committed the same severity of agregious actions as Republicans have.

No more "offsetting penalties" will be allowed to be offered by RETHUGLICANs attempting to explain await bad behavior.

October 13, 2008 07:12 pm at 7:12 pm |
  2. Joe - Las Vegas

John McCain is probably a good guy – I don't know him. But I have to think he sits up at night wondering why on earth he sold his soul, picked a lightweight like Palin as a running mate, and has to continually pander to people that he probably downright detests.

October 13, 2008 07:12 pm at 7:12 pm |
  3. Doris,Memphis,TN

John McCain throws a brick and hides his hand!
    Senator you are not fooling the American people.
    You think we are stupid and we think you are stupid!
    Country First is a joke. You change on issues every hour.
    Enough!

October 13, 2008 07:12 pm at 7:12 pm |
  4. Leila

Nancy, you are one ignorant fool.

October 13, 2008 07:12 pm at 7:12 pm |
  5. Tiff of lithia springs

You can sit in denial all you want Joe. It is what it is. Stay the course Joe. God bless you and Jill and may God protect the Obamas.

October 13, 2008 07:12 pm at 7:12 pm |
  6. Mrs. Texas Teacher

As I have said before..... McCain is doing a little two step.... side step.... D.C. Shuffle.....

It didn't work when I first said it, and it is not working now.... it's a catchy tune, but you can't hum it.... and he and Palin are the only ones who can dance to it......

Obama/Biden.... 2008/2012

October 13, 2008 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |
  7. Kim

I agree with Biden. This is very scary. What is happening to the Republic Party?? Do they need to reach out to extremist to win? At at what cost. This is so hurtful and extremely disappointing. I can't believe McCain can't stop this type of talk...and if he can't then can he control the what goes on in the White House. Again, I am so hurt by the McCain/Palin ticket.

October 13, 2008 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |
  8. DR in Los Angeles

Fringe radicals in the Obama camp? I don't think supporters are calling McShame a "terrorist" or saying, "kill him!"

What's wrong with you people? If you're not my skin color, you have NO IDEA if Lewis' statements are wrong or right!!!!!!!! Walk in my shoes for a while, just one day!

OBAMA/BIDEN IN '08!!!!

October 13, 2008 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |
  9. OLD MAN YELLS AT CLOUDS

Hey Biff, you think Lewis' remarks went to far??!! It's idiots like you that vote for McBush & that nasty trash he chose to be his running mate.

October 13, 2008 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |
  10. Greed is not good

The Republican party has been officially hi-jacked by the lunatic right wing nutjobs bent on an agenda of hate, scapegoatism, and ignorance.

October 13, 2008 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |
  11. Obama for president

Just voted today and I know the writing is on the wall... and it says LANDSLIDE for OBAMA! I can't wait till November 5th.

October 13, 2008 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |
  12. Dennis

Some of these fringe folks just need to take their meds on a regular basis. They wrap themeselves in the flag of the United States, but act more like someone who has wrapped themselves in the Nazi flag. And they call themselves Americans?!? What a joke.

October 13, 2008 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |
  13. Steve

The fact that McCain first spewed innuendo and hate at his rallies, and then did little to shut down the psychos who spoke up in response shows just how sick the man really is. Finally, when his numbers reflected the outrage of Americans who heard what was going on by dropping through the floor, McCain started backpedaling. it wasn't because he was outraged by the nastiness. It was because he saw his tactics backfiring. He should be ashamed of himself. I don't blame Palin. She's too stupid to realize what she's doing. There are village idiots who look at her with sympathy. They know an idiot when they see one.

October 13, 2008 07:14 pm at 7:14 pm |
  14. Carolyn

McCain makes the snowballs. Palin fires them!

October 13, 2008 07:14 pm at 7:14 pm |
  15. Colin

Also, Nancy from FL you are ignorant and are the very reason McCain is having the issues that he is with his supporters at Rallies. Open a book and educate yourself you bigot. OBAMA IS NOT ARABIC he is half white half black and he is a Christian who was born in Hawaii not Kenya like some people seem to suggest now....Also, do you ignorant people think that our Government is that stupid that if he weren't a US citizen they wouldn't know? I can't believe 90% of the things that come out of republicans mouths. Please go away. Obama/Biden '08 the only hope for change in america.

October 13, 2008 07:14 pm at 7:14 pm |
  16. Ridgeway

Uhmmmm? Who's the "leader" you're talking about? Not that Cynthia McKinney in Drag John Lewis? You can't be that dumb uhmmm.

October 13, 2008 07:14 pm at 7:14 pm |