October 13th, 2008

Biden says some reactions at McCain events 'scary'

Biden said some of what he has seen at McCain events is 'scary stuff.'
Biden said some of what he has seen at McCain events is 'scary stuff.'

(CNN) - Joe Biden said Monday some of the reactions he has seen at recent McCain campaign rallies are downright “scary,” and said the Republican presidential ticket should be careful not to encourage "fringe people."

But in the interview with ABC News, Biden added he does not worry the McCain-Palin rallies could lead to violence as long as John McCain and Sarah Palin adequately control their supporters.

"I'm no more concerned about it, as long as … John pushes it back in a box and Governor Palin pushes it back in a box, because what you don't want to do is encourage - I don't think they intentionally do it - encourage people who really are fringe people," Biden said in the interview. He also said that what he saw at the rallies was "really off the wall" and "scary stuff."

Earlier: Biden: McCain’s speech is ‘attack, attack, attack, attack’

Biden also took aim at recent comments from Virginia’s Republican Party chairman that compared Obama to 9/11 mastermind Osama Bin Laden. The chairman, Jeffrey Frederick said Obama and bin Laden "both have friends that bombed the Pentagon" - a reference to Obama's connection to 1960's radical Bill Ayers.

"I don't believe it … I can't believe it," Biden said of those comments. "I'm surprised John McCain hasn't gone down and whacked the guy with his fist. I mean, I don't think there's a prejudiced bone in John McCain's body. But that kind of stuff is really off the wall. I refuse to let myself believe John McCain has anything to do with any of that.”

Filed under: Extra • Joe Biden • John McCain
  1. repub 4 obama

WERE IS MCCAIN'S FLAG PIN!!!!!!

HE MUST BE ARAB!!! HA! IDIOTS

October 13, 2008 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |
  2. Chris from STL

.... blame a handful of Sarah's redneck, inebriated 'joe six-packs'.

October 13, 2008 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |
  3. jwn in south carolina

John Lewis has lived the result of the feeling that Palin is inciting. Radicals are dangerous........ Palin is a radical.

October 13, 2008 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |
  4. Robert Wooller Bradford England

McCain and Palin can go all the way down to 10 or 20 per cent against obama for all I care. They have warmongered, scaremongered and frightened people in every way you can on a campaign and they deserve to be annihilated in November. McCain insisted on choosing Sarah palin and look at where it has got him. Behind and still falling in the polls. Moreover, people have had enough of McBush. That is how bad it has got for them and they want change, change that only a brand new administration can bring.

October 13, 2008 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |
  5. J1

This is getting insane. Just today, an individual that claims she is campaigning for McCain/Palin in TX tried to convince me that Senator Obama is an "Arab". When I told her she was insance, she said that she would pray for me. WOW!

October 13, 2008 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |
  6. JD

What is scary is that the least qualified candidate might be elected.

All of us – Democrats, Republicans, and Independents – have a right to be upset at the way race has been used by Obama's supporters.

I believe Lewis is an intelligent person. He has to understand that most of us who are not supporting Obama simply do not believe he is the most qualified, or we disagree with his policies.

We do not care about his race BUT we do not like it used against anyone who opposes him (i.e. Hillary Clinton, Bill Clinton, John McCain). Those people are not racist – they just all believe that someone else is better qualified for the job!

October 13, 2008 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |
  7. Tom, KS

John Lewis and Joe Biden are right. These people seem to have let reason be replaced with fanaticism. I'm convinced at least 1/3 of everyone voting for McCain are doing it because they are unable to vote for a black man. Pure ignorance!

October 13, 2008 06:51 pm at 6:51 pm |
  8. Predjudice

Since when is it prejudice to state the facts. If its true, its true and should be dealt with. Also, I hate it when the pols try and scare me into seeing things their way – he's "scared" of what he sees at McCain's rallies. Come on now Mr. politician.

October 13, 2008 06:51 pm at 6:51 pm |
  9. MBB

Have you seen the t-shirts about Paiin! No one is without scary supporters.

October 13, 2008 06:51 pm at 6:51 pm |
  10. Ann

Sen. Biden, shame on you. How are Lewis' remarks?

October 13, 2008 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  11. TOODYDOODY

Yes, we've noticed. Erratic, I'll say.

October 13, 2008 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  12. Jack

Yeah, McCain's got nothing to do with it....nothing to do with stopping it, that is.

October 13, 2008 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  13. Precious Coker

Good old Joe Biden, which John McCain are you alluding to?

Not the win-at- all cost , take the low road to the highest office McCain of recent times or are you alluding to John McCain of 2000?

McCain has twisted and turned so much that we do not know which direction his face is located any more!!

God bless America.

October 13, 2008 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  14. Uhmmm

Outrageous is asking Obama to apologise for an intelligent response by a political leader, – regarding McCain/Palin fear driven campaign tactics/ads/speeches! I'm exhausted by these words, "He (or she or it ). . . must be in the tank for Obama . . . "

October 13, 2008 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  15. Brian NYC

There is some serious videos on YouTube showing some of those rallies.. It's scary the information those people are feed. Divide and conquer is one of the oldest in the book.

October 13, 2008 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  16. Norwalk 4 Barack

Hate mongering is awesome...Oh wait. Nevermind. That's so 1960's.

Obama/Biden 08

October 13, 2008 06:53 pm at 6:53 pm |
  17. GP

Biff,

Obama/Biden are not responsible for encouraging Lewis to speak out about first hand experience with fringe people.

The McCain/Palin rally's have become breeding grounds for demonstrably upset/unstable people that have been whipped up into a frenzy by party leaders.

October 13, 2008 06:53 pm at 6:53 pm |
  18. Sara

Every time I hear Joe Biden speak, I like him more and more. Say what you will about his past gaffes - so far he has proven himself to be intelligent, responsible, caring, and genuine, unlike another vp candidate I can think of.

October 13, 2008 06:53 pm at 6:53 pm |
  19. Nancy from FL

OBAMA is scary. Our country doesn't need Arabs running it

October 13, 2008 06:53 pm at 6:53 pm |
  20. bill

believe it biden mccain straight talk express came off track when he picked palen for v p he could have stopped this radical crap but didnt your friend mccain has lost it joe dont defend these loosers it looks bad

October 13, 2008 06:53 pm at 6:53 pm |
  21. Lisa

While I don't believe McCain anticipated the reactions to the rhetoric his campaign, particularly Palin, has most recently employed, he has got to acknowledge that he is indeed creating and empowering an atmosphere that is ugly, divisive and dangerous.

October 13, 2008 06:53 pm at 6:53 pm |
  22. Ex-Republican for Obama

I have become so disgusted with Palin and McCain, that I get a bit of throw up in my mouth any time I say their name.

You are a good man Biden, as is your running mate. Atleast we have a ticket that is competent, wise and ready to lead! Obama-Biden '08.

October 13, 2008 06:53 pm at 6:53 pm |
  23. J.C.

Wow, It's such a shame that we don't put Biden and Palin on the same stage again. Let's grow our economy, not scare.

October 13, 2008 06:54 pm at 6:54 pm |
  24. Sherry for Obama

Republicans....Wakos

Democrats.....Sane

October 13, 2008 06:54 pm at 6:54 pm |
  25. grandpasvedin

I have seen some responses by our liberal brothers and sister that were very hateful, and at least two or three comments from conservatives that was somewhat reasonable.

October 13, 2008 06:54 pm at 6:54 pm |