October 13th, 2008

Biden says some reactions at McCain events 'scary'

Biden said some of what he has seen at McCain events is 'scary stuff.'
Biden said some of what he has seen at McCain events is 'scary stuff.'

(CNN) - Joe Biden said Monday some of the reactions he has seen at recent McCain campaign rallies are downright “scary,” and said the Republican presidential ticket should be careful not to encourage "fringe people."

But in the interview with ABC News, Biden added he does not worry the McCain-Palin rallies could lead to violence as long as John McCain and Sarah Palin adequately control their supporters.

"I'm no more concerned about it, as long as … John pushes it back in a box and Governor Palin pushes it back in a box, because what you don't want to do is encourage - I don't think they intentionally do it - encourage people who really are fringe people," Biden said in the interview. He also said that what he saw at the rallies was "really off the wall" and "scary stuff."

Earlier: Biden: McCain’s speech is ‘attack, attack, attack, attack’

Biden also took aim at recent comments from Virginia’s Republican Party chairman that compared Obama to 9/11 mastermind Osama Bin Laden. The chairman, Jeffrey Frederick said Obama and bin Laden "both have friends that bombed the Pentagon" - a reference to Obama's connection to 1960's radical Bill Ayers.

"I don't believe it … I can't believe it," Biden said of those comments. "I'm surprised John McCain hasn't gone down and whacked the guy with his fist. I mean, I don't think there's a prejudiced bone in John McCain's body. But that kind of stuff is really off the wall. I refuse to let myself believe John McCain has anything to do with any of that.”

Filed under: Extra • Joe Biden • John McCain
  1. Anonymous

When you use scare tactics in your campaign you get "fringe people" support. This is all back lash from preying on people's fears. The new McCain/ Palin slogan "Be afraid. Be very afraid."

October 13, 2008 07:00 pm at 7:00 pm |
  2. Fawn

I'm still amazed Obama was asked to apologise for an intelligent response the atmosphere of fear and hate McCain / Palin have created at their gatherings!

October 13, 2008 07:00 pm at 7:00 pm |
  3. I look younger!

I think Biden's Botox is scary.

October 13, 2008 07:00 pm at 7:00 pm |
  4. Doug

Hmmmm. What about all these people in the past 8 years that have called Bush every name in the book, ran ads comparing him to Hitler, etc....you certainly didn't see the Democrats coming out against the Owner of the Democratic party, errrr....George Soros, for that one. I'm not condoning what some might say, but there are some on each side that will say anything. The Democrats only find it offensive when it's about them.

October 13, 2008 07:01 pm at 7:01 pm |
  5. Lynette

McCain should stop these people, the Klan has no business voting in an election. We need America to focus and vote not based on hate and bigotry but based on respect and the good of the nation ALL people in our nation, not just the few, but the many. The world needs strong leadership, we cannot talk to the rest of the world if we hate our own citizens.

October 13, 2008 07:01 pm at 7:01 pm |
  6. Sara against Sarah

For all those repugs out there:

So when Palin references Obama to ties to terrorists, that's not creating hatred? Palin is encouraging and promoting hatred among American citizens and McSenile isn't stopping it. Someone's going to get hurt if this ticket doesn't stop this little game they are playing.

Obama Biden '08 & '12

October 13, 2008 07:02 pm at 7:02 pm |
  7. REDNECKS LOVE OBAMA

McCain/Palin STARTED this HATE speech, and now they have the NERVE to pretend like they had NOTHING to do with it. McCain has proven to be ERRATIC and UNSTABLE.... WORSE THAN BUSH

October 13, 2008 07:02 pm at 7:02 pm |
  8. Former Republican voting for Obama/Biden

Barack Obama/Joe Biden character, integrity, judgement, experience, moral values and strong leadership.

October 13, 2008 07:02 pm at 7:02 pm |
  9. DR in Los Angeles

IGNORANCE is bliss, so they say... It's awful that people are afraid of others' races and religions when there is no need.

Obama in '08!!

October 13, 2008 07:02 pm at 7:02 pm |
  10. Amy

I don’t understand why anyone would willingly spark such hate and then watch it become the wild fire it has. If they don’t put a stop to this hate, someone, maybe even them, will get hurt. I really hope for the safety of themselves and us, that they move off the hate and back to the issues.

*I can tell you know that anyone of any intelligence at all could care less if Obama knew Bill Ayers – really, we just don’t care. And, the crazies that do actually care, are far outnumbered by those who don’t.

Let’s get back to what’s important and put the crazies back in their boxes!

October 13, 2008 07:02 pm at 7:02 pm |
  11. Michigander living in California

Biden has masterminded himself into a position where he is pretty much untouchable.

By showing his extreme admiration to John McCain and respect for what he stands for over the past 100 years or so Johnny has been alive, Biden is allowing himself to differientiate between the John McCain he has always known and the bad policies that will ruin our country.

He has made himself into a subject matter expert on his opponent. And he actually looks like he is sad and reluctant to point out McCains flaws.

If I was John McCain I would be commending Biden for playing the chess game like a master-mind. This is close to being the same old politics- because it is trickery. But it is positive, I would rather have positive tricks than the alternative :)

October 13, 2008 07:02 pm at 7:02 pm |
  12. Speider

If you turn up the sound on your set, you will hear the faint echo of, "seig heil. Seig heil."

October 13, 2008 07:02 pm at 7:02 pm |
  13. Susan from Illinois

Erica and NJ...

I think you've lost the point here! Biden may say some off the cuff remarks, but NONE of his statements have been inciting people in his audiences to shout "Kill him" or "terrorist!"

There's a difference between making goofy gaffes, and making statements that turn the crowds ugly and out for blood!

McCain's & Palin's audiences are scary when they start their hostile chants or still believe Obama is an Arab.

October 13, 2008 07:02 pm at 7:02 pm |
  14. Lifelong Repub 4 Obama

To Nancy from Fl - who are you talking about? Obama is an American citizen, born in Hawaii. Check your facts.

October 13, 2008 07:03 pm at 7:03 pm |
  15. George

Screaming people with hateful words ARE SCARY.

October 13, 2008 07:03 pm at 7:03 pm |
  16. Democrats

Obama, Pelosi, Reid.....that's what I call scary.

October 13, 2008 07:03 pm at 7:03 pm |
  17. Barbara - 65 yr old white female in NC

Hey – if being best friends with someone who has done prison time for watergate and wanting to subvert our Constitution is scarey, then that would be scarey McCain and his buddy G. Gordon Liddy.

October 13, 2008 07:03 pm at 7:03 pm |
  18. The guy that is smarter than you

No Obama in the White House sez Jill from KS. Hmm, I hate to break it to you sweeheart, but it's gonna happen. Maybe you and your ilk will move out when that happens? You can go form another country where the mindset is 100 years behind the times, much like Kansas...

October 13, 2008 07:03 pm at 7:03 pm |
  19. Annie, Atlanta

@Erika, in KS. Do yourself a favor and Google Joe Biden's senate record, before spouting off on that which you do not know, please. Information is power.

October 13, 2008 07:03 pm at 7:03 pm |
  20. No, but I stayed at a Holiday Inn last night

I like Obama, but I just don't know why!!

October 13, 2008 07:03 pm at 7:03 pm |
  21. MikeH

To 'Frank from Peterborough';

McCain was wandering all over the stage looking for his lost dog 'Mr Puddles".

October 13, 2008 07:03 pm at 7:03 pm |
  22. mello in New Mexico

It is not just the reactions to the events that are scary it is also some of the comments on the blogs. McCain seems to have drawn in a lot of the radical right wing group, the hate mongers, the fascists among us. If McCain was an honorable man he would make it stop and stop now. If he doesn't then that tells us what his presidency would be like.

October 13, 2008 07:03 pm at 7:03 pm |
  23. Beaz

I'll tell you what scares me a lot more: Wright, Ayers, Rezko, and ACORN – all in the tank for Nobama.

October 13, 2008 07:04 pm at 7:04 pm |
  24. Paying Attention

McCain talk about the issues. Desperation does not work.

I am an independent voter. I do not want to see silly false attacks.

You look desperate....

October 13, 2008 07:04 pm at 7:04 pm |
  25. G.O.

The weather underground of which Ayers was/is part of did bomb the Pentagon, and Ayers is a friend of Obama's. Al qaeda of which bin Laden belongs is also and organization that bombed the Pentagon. So where is the the problem with what Frederick said? At least what Frederick said is true unlike what that moron Lewis from Georgia said.

October 13, 2008 07:04 pm at 7:04 pm |